Turembar
Norc
Ringdrotten
Pettytyrant101
Lancebloke
33 posters

Page 26 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next

Go down

Favourite computer games of all time. - Page 26 Empty Re: Favourite computer games of all time.

Post by RA Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:56 am

It gets better. I guess Valve is splitting this up into a three part announcement with the other two announcements coming at a later date. On their site, the second announcement has fifteen hours left on its countdown.

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Favourite computer games of all time. - Page 26 Empty Re: Favourite computer games of all time.

Post by RA Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:57 am

Maybe Half Life 3 Shocked 
I can dream.

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:11 am

Mmmm, looking at their first announcement it ends by saying-

'It will be available soon as a free stand-alone operating system for living room machines.'

That's pretty broad sounding. I wonder if they've been cheeky enough to actually come up with an operating system you access online solely. And therefore could do so through xbox or ps systems as well as pc's, tablets and phones. Surely not! Shocked 

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:15 am

If it was any other company I'd say no, but with Valve who knows?

RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:17 pm

Another Valve announcement that actually sheds some light.

Firstly their OS system will be made available to any hardware manufacturer that wants to make something for it.
Secondly Valve themselves have their own SteamOS machine in production.
They say theirs will be for the person who want the maximum flexibility, whilst other manufacturers are free to design theirs round for price, noise reduction, size, ect as they choose.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:07 am

Very curious to see where this goes.

RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:23 am

Me too RA Nod 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:26 am

So their final announcement was a controller...
I have to say I'm a bit perplexed by this direction Valve is moving in. I mean I'm not really surprised Half Life 3 isn't coming out, to be honest I don't think it ever is. It looks like Valve wants to compete against Sony and Microsoft directly. Valve has the clout to pull it off, but why?
Also tract pads are an interesting route to take. I've used a tract pad before and it wasn't too accurate, though I'm sure the Steam controller probably has at least 5,600 DPI

Favourite computer games of all time. - Page 26 Steam-Controller-Portal-2

It could go a ways to mimicking the accuracy of a mouse and may end up being more intuitive. I'll be following this closely.

RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:03 am

Crazy what he put this poor Game boy color through.

RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:21 pm

Awesome vid, RA Very Happy But now I got all nostalgic, seeing that pokemon game. Those were great

Favourite computer games of all time. - Page 26 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:15 am

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:41 pm

I love Throthgar Very Happy 

RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:15 pm

Half-life 3 confirmed! Smile 

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1nit0u/valve_files_trademark_for_halflife_3/

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:36 pm

Anyone played Final Fantasy 14 - A Realm Reborn?
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:27 am

bungobaggins wrote:Half-life 3 confirmed! Smile 

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1nit0u/valve_files_trademark_for_halflife_3/
I honestly don't believe that game is coming out.

RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:09 am

That's what they said about Duke Nukem Forever!

That might not be the most encouraging comparison, though. Suspect
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:14 am

ore reasons to get excited about Elite Dangerous- this as put together as part of their 'search for a composer', the music on this is the winning composer.
The HUD and overlay on this is added in post as they haven't finished programming the HUD displays yet, everything else is game graphics with a few place holders (Like the damage textures on the hulls- in the final version you will cut hulls away to expose the interiors- crucial for stealing the cargo if you go down the pirate route!)

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:11 am

Break down of the above vid by Braben himself and why they made it-

One of the things I love about Braben and his Elite universe is that it reminds me in some ways of Tolkien- everything is worked out, the why, the how, the what, so even if you know nothing about why a thing is as it is, it fits subconsciously into the whole game universe (ok not quite a universe but given the game has a starting size of roughly 400 billion star systems that's probably enough to get going with!)

I like the sound of being an explorer in it- head off into the uncharted and get paid as you set up new jump routes, and discover things of interest or resources to exploit or unknown civilizations- I also like how it works as a game mechanic- send probes to distant stars and get readings back and then try to interpret them- does that high quantity of iron in your reading indicate planets with iron cores? Or are you abut to jump into a dense asteroid field? What about all that gas?- gas giants or nebula?- its down to a mix of player skill at reading the info and computer aids to interpret the data. Then point your ship at the star in question and try to get there and hope you haven't misread all the readings and its a black hole at the other end!
I haven't been looking forward to, and so excited about a game and its possibilities since, well Elite Frontier.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:26 pm

Life is full of coincidence. And here is one.
David Braben creator of Elite gives a short lecture on procedurals, the maths that lets him create a game with 4 billion unique star systems in it. And how its all based on the wonder of seeds.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:09 pm

Will this game be coming to both Steam and GoG?

RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:13 pm

It sounds neat.

RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:16 pm

Its pc and then mac RA.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:28 am

No, Laughing  Steam and GoG are distribution platforms, not platforms unto themselves like PCs and Macs.
Steam is well Steam. They're run by Valve and everyone's heard of them. GOG is another distribution platform that primarily sells older games, but has recently began selling some newer ones as well. They have a lot of indie games. The thing that sets GOG apart from all the other distribution platforms such as Steam or Origin is that GOG sells games DRM free.
I always support them if I get the chance. Very Happy

Last edited by Recoveryanonymous on Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:32 am; edited 1 time in total

RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:31 am

This is GOG or Good Old Games.
http://www.gog.com/

RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:42 am

I got freespace 2 from GOG- highly recommend it- and the the mods to make it look prettier- but still one of the great space filght sims.

I thought when you said Steam you meant the steambox thing- when it comes out.

I would expect Elite Dangerous to be published by Braben himself as he has his own independent company- Frontier Developments.

Imagine EA- then imagine a company where every ethos is the exact opposite- and you have FD!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 26 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next