Turembar
Norc
Ringdrotten
Pettytyrant101
Lancebloke
33 posters

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next

Go down

Favourite computer games of all time. Empty Favourite computer games of all time.

Post by Lancebloke Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:22 pm

I think this counts as creative and couldn't see a thread about it anywhere else.

So... for those of you that ever got in to your computer games, on whichever format, what is your favourite and why? There may be some that nobody has ever heard of so maybe a quick introduction to the game would be good too. I will post mine in a separate entry.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Favourite computer games of all time. Empty Final Fantasy 7

Post by Lancebloke Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:35 pm

I have a list of games that I could go on about for a long time and that I spent many a long hour playing, however this is top of my list.

For those that don't know anything about it, this is an RPG released on the first playstation back in the 90's. Graphically, it was stunning (not compared to today, but at the time it was second to none) and seamlessly integrated CGI movies in with gameplay to great effect.

Although that was one of its big positive points, even more so was that of the story and its characters. Sephiroth is without question (in my opinion) the best bad guy to ever be created. His look, motives and personality coupled with him killing one if the main playable characters in your party leaves him long ingrained in the memory!

While being the best of the antagonists, he is certainly not the only one and at one point the story involves battles on various fronts with various parties in a struggle for dominance and sometimes those parties having uneasy collaborations as they try to press their own agendas.

Side quests and character levelling aside, the game spans 4 CDs and would take a good 40-50 hours of gameplay (not including deaths where you forgot to save). In my opinion, the quintessential RPG and computer game in general.

I wish they would remake it!!
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Favourite computer games of all time. Empty Re: Favourite computer games of all time.

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:46 pm

There is a Games of any sort thread that covers computer games Lance- http://www.hobbitmovieforum.com/t81 -although to be honest for the most part its mainly just me posting stuff, no one else seems to love their games here sadly. (Actually Ringdrotten probably does but would you believe instead of him sitting in front a screen playing a fps his country are making him do it for real! Foreigners! Mad )

Lance- you dont actually (unless I missed it) give the name of your fav game- although from the description Im guessing at FF7 or 8-been a long time since I played either.

But favourite games- Kick Off and all its sequals up to the Amiga version of Goal- a computer footy game that required skill to play and yet only used the joystick and one button for everything. Hundreds of teams with all the corect names and strips, every competion imaginable, from individual countries leagues and cups all the way up to the World Cup and all in one game-EA and FIFA- take note that is how it should be!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRz0OwZFzD4

But the King of Games was Dungeon Master- genius on about everylevel- I still have this and I can still find my way through it in the dark (a handy thing as if your torches run out thats where the game leaves you- in the dark!)

You'd have loved DM Ringdrotten- a template in many ways for rpgs every since.

Last edited by Pettytyrant101 on Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:02 pm; edited 2 times in total

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Favourite computer games of all time. Empty Re: Favourite computer games of all time.

Post by Ringdrotten Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:56 pm

One could put it that way, I guess Laughing But you are quite right, I love games too, especially never-ending RPGs with quality stories Smile

Favourite computer games of all time. Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:08 pm

A new fav game but one that is an old game(!) is Last Express. Unique, lovely, immersive. A murder/mystery/spy thriller set on the Orient Express on the eve of WW1. Its 13 years old and fresher than anything I have played for a long time. And even better its been released in recent times to run on modern pc's, meaning I finally got the chance to try it- so glad I did. Here an excellent spoiler fee review of one of the most involving, best written games Ive played in years.

And here's the trailer if you can't be bothered with a whole review.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:55 pm

Petty - I put the title of the game in the title of my post....

Other games in my all time greatest list:

Sonic the Hedgehog 1 (Berth of an icon)
Wonder Boy 3: The Dragon's Trap (My vote for best pre-playstation RPG)
Golden Axe (You know you loved beating up your team mate with the dragon)
UFO: Enemy Unknown (found a version on Steam but unfortunately doesn't support windows 7)
Socom 2: US Navy SEALs (Best FPS game ever made)
Command and Conquer: Red Alert (Most fun online RTS game)
Total Annihilation (Best RTS game)
Resident Evil (The ORIGINAL Tyrant... never been as scary since)
Desert Strike (who doesn't like blowing up things from the comfort of an Apache?)
Doom (those bown spikey alien noises used to get me all nervous)
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:12 pm

Sephiroth after burning down a village and killing nearly everyone in it.

Favourite computer games of all time. Sephiroth
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:57 pm

my favourite game:
http://www.gamesmate.com/free-action-games/free-game-playing-with-fire2/free-game-playing-with-fire2.asp
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:50 pm

Thats a copy of Bomberman Norc- classic game.

I put the title of the game in the title of my post....- Lance

Well thats a down right sneaky place to put it! Evil or Very Mad 8 is my favourite of the FF games- the last one I felt was still a proper go out explore rpg.

Played UFO Enemy Unknow to death (and the sequal where they are hidding under the sea- did you know there are not 1 but 2 remakes of it on the way?- one is more traditional- keeping the turn based gameplay and all- the other is more fps stlye but with the research and tech stuff still in place.

Socom 2- if thats the one with split screen and the level on the pine covered snowy mountains with the cabin then a mate and I used to play that game to death.

Loved the Command and Conquer games back in the day, them and Cannon Fodder. Great little RTS games.

And the first 2 Resi games are class. After that increasingly less so- although I have a soft spot for Code Name Veronica just for the transvete bad guy with the sister fixation-only in a Japanese game!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:26 pm

Being playing Star Trek Bridge Commander- a classic game I used to love many moons ago- but got it up and running for win 7 with the bcsupermod graphics update and changed all the music for stuff from the film soundtracks. Couldn't find a decent vid of it so made one myself.
If you are a Star Trek fan its one of the very few games that actually captures the feeling of the show (particularly TNG feel).

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:39 pm

8 was good. I played that on my PSP from the PSN store. I dont think it had as good a storyline or character cast as 7 though. I loved that in 7 it ended up pretty much an all vs all battle with 4 or 5 different sets of people all fighting each other (you vs sephiroth vs shinra vs planet (weapons)) each with their own agenda. Thought it was a very complex story with some quite complex characters that developed throughout the story.

Yes re Socom, it had a snowy level called blizzard which was in the single and multiplayer modes. All FPS games since have disappointed me.

Terror from the deep is the one where they hide under the sea. Bloody hard game and never understood why we had interstaller ships and plasma rifles... then in the future it goes back to dart guns. Yes, knew about the remakes. Not sure about them though... not sure they will have the same feeling that the originals did where your base could be assaulted at any moment or you could walk round a shop corner in to a bunch of Mutons and get massacred.

Used to sit online with my mate or physically hook up 2 playstations and 2 tvs to play command and conquer all night. Was great!!!
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Turembar Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:06 pm

I usually lock on to one game and stay with it quite a while till I find the next, so really I have only played 3 over the years:

Risk
Age of Empires II
Runescape

I am just doing Runescape now. I mainly like I can do things at my own pace and don't get into the pre-planned quests much at all. I do like the player v player aspect in the imbedded mini-game 'Castle Wars', and am the eternal blood enemy of the damned Zammys. Laughing

Pretty old tech, compared to what many must be playing these days.
Turembar
Turembar
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:08 pm

Wish I had a pic of the look on my face first time playing UFO and the aliens fired a missile. 'ha' I thought,' missed by a mile!' Then it denotated and took out everthing in a 20 square radius. pale

The Age of Empires games are great- are as the Total War series for some heavy war strategy stuff.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Turembar Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:21 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:
The Age of Empires games are great- are as the Total War series for some heavy war strategy stuff.

Yeah, It was just the right scale for my liking. Also had some fun creating landscape scenerios. Once did a version of Osgiliath D-Day with it. Took many trys to get it just right.
Turembar
Turembar
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:33 pm

Total War and Age of Empires are great games indeed Very Happy Winning in games like that is more fun than in other games for some reason. I used to play Runescape too about 7 or 8 years ago, awesome game Very Happy I've played some MMORPGs since, and they are great fun, but time-consuming. They're great for practising English, though - people laugh when I say that I learned English by playing computer games, but I can't see how I could've learned it otherwise, given the poor standard of the English language teachers I've had.

Favourite computer games of all time. Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:21 pm

My RTS gaming all began back my Atari ST days with Milenium 2.2 Love that game still still play it occasionally- got a save game thats nearly 3 years old now!
Its sequal Deutros was superb to in its day. Both still highly addictive litttle games.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:20 am

Was going to make some retro games available on my skydrive- many of them are freeware, shareware, abondonware or too obscure to purchase anywhere these days- and I know how much hassle there can be in tracking down an old game thats long gone out of circulation-but as I cant access the skydrive at the moment I am taking requests, so if anyone has any retro games they want let me know and if its in my collection I will try to make it available.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:13 pm

Admin has some concerns about legality regards uploading games and given recent clamping down on file sharing I don't blame him- I have however opted to upload freeware and shareware games- as these by their very nature are free and supposed to be shared and come without any legal worries. I have left out abandonware just to be on the safe side although as far as I am aware the term applies to game whose copyright is no longer applicable or the original programmers have made them available or no company or individual sill exits with rights. But none the less I have erred on the side of caution and left Abandonware off the uploads.
All of the games here are probably still available with a bit of googling, but I put them here just for handiness and convience.
The vids are for illustraion only and are often different versions on different sytems- they are just to give an idea.

Uploaded so far are:*

Platformer
Horace goes skiing- a real nostalgia one this one as it it was the very first game I loaded up into my brand spanking new all powerful wondermachine the zx spectrum 48k. The first bit is basically Frogger- get across the road, get your skis and get back to the mountain- then go skiing! Then repeat till frustration sets in(about 5mins)

Manic Miner- a UK platform classic that may have been missed elsewhere- another spectrum classic remade- hard as hell, unforgiving and in the grand traition of British Games made by one person in their bedroom its unfinishable as they didnt make any levels after a certain point in the belief noone would get that far!

Rick Dangerous- another classic of the genre- Rick is an Indiana Jones type character- platfroming, puzzling and quick thinking required.

Puzzle
Sentinel- a classic cerebral game with a simple premise- absorb rocks and trees for energy- build yourself a new body, transport in to it and repeat unti you are high enough to absorb the evil Sentinel- but beware as you play the Sentinel slowly turns and if its gaze falls on you it will drain all your energy! A brilliant game for those who like a bit of brain work in the mix.

Shoot em-ups

3d Starstrike- a fan made remake of the old vector graphics Star Wars arcade machine. Although I find its a lot harder!

Alien Breed- aliens inspired top down shooters- with some excellent touches- if you dont panic the first time you set the core to explode and the lighting goes red and the alarms blare and you get the warning to get the hell out of there before it blows, then you have tougher nerves than me!

Robocop 2D- a remake of the Taito arcade machine from back in the day.

Wizball- you are a wizard who is a bouncing ball and youo mutst shoot the bad guys whilst colecting paint droplets to restore colour to the world- deal with it! Hard to start with- you have barely no control over your bouncyness! But start collecting the powerups (you activate them by hititng righ/left repeatedly very fast- and you will sonn be whizzing about turning the world from monochrome to glorious technocolour (well 6 of them anyway).
Not as good as its even more surreal sequal Wizkid- but you need an amiga emulator to play that I'm afraid.

Not remakes as such but done in a classic style I've also included Master Syrus' two excellent Star Wars games- Battle of Endor and Battle of Yavin. These also have the mod pack with them with new textures- but Ive never been able to get it to work on win7 the ships just appear blank and white with the mod on- so if you have this problem reinstall without applying the mod. (If you work out how to fix it let me know!)
Got a Star Trek DS9 version somewhere too, I will put it up when I find it!

Mmm according to a comment on that vid you can get the mod to run if you install it to your program files folder and not the Progtam Files (x86) folder- havent tired it yet to see if this is true.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:29 pm

Added the third party developed jaguar emulator. Its an emulator for a long defunk, shortlived console, the first 64-bit one in fact the Atari Jaguar. If you google for it you can download it off their webpage if you prefer but this one is all set to go if you'd prefer to avoid any hassles or aren't sure what you are doing.
I added it for one game, Tempest2000. Written by near legendary UK programmer Jeff Minter- Mr Minter loves his old classics- Defender and their like. Raw gameplay is his thing and his update of the ancient Atari arcade machine Tempest is probably his masterpiece.
You won't find any stories about invading aliens or saving Princess here-Mr Minter doesn't care and you wont have time to think to care you will be so engrossed.
The vid here shows the mechanics of what you do but it cannot begin to describe what this is like to actually play once you get into it and onto the complex enemies and their devious attacks. Particles explode all over the place, huge bonus scores mushroom in particles as you score them to fill the screen, enemies swarm you and yet everything remains easy to focus on clear as a bell. And when you die (and you will, often) each and everytime you will know why- your brain will by then be thinking so many moves ahead at lightning speed you will see your mistake- because Mr Minters games never cheat, never obscure your vision or kill you by the thing you could not see coming in the first place. Its hard, but its completely fair. Its always your own fault when you fail. And ther eis nothing like the rush of hanging on in there on your last life and watching your score, trying to stay alive at least long enough to earn another life and see the next level. Everything is perfectly pitched to make the gameplay king.
And just when your heart is pounding and your brain aching- you hit a bonus level- and all goes calm and new age and you are a floating cursor beneath a milky galaxy like stream flying throw hoops- and this is because Mr Minter is the sort of progammer who grew up in the 60's and eschewed the traditional games buisness for a llama farm in Wales and creating games in between sampling the mushroom from his fields.
If you want a perfect example of pure uncomprimised gameplay its in the finely tuned Tempest2000. Do please give it a go.

To use the emu just run the program, go to settings/controllors and set your key controls (you only need the directions and 3 fire buttons for Tempest2000) then file/open rom. Browse for wherever you downloaded the game to and select it and thats it. Its that simple.
(Tempests controls are pretty straightforward- you can go right and you can go left. You can fire. Collecting the power ups you get from shooting bad guys is crucial- the third one you get will nearly always give you a jump, mastering timing your jumps is a crucial skill later in the game but you will be doing it like you were born to it by then anyway. The third fire button is your superzapper- kills everything on screen- you get one of these every level + a bonus one if you collect enough power ups).

ps the emu is the file called PTv0.95

Tempest- the rather intense later levels- you too can be displayng the sort of a skill!! (And those yellow nasties- every time they pulse they are electrfying the line they are on- if you are on it you are dead (unless you jump clear in time)- you will come to hate them with a passion!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:48 am

Good old alien breed. Used to play that 2 players with my brother. Definately a classic.

I'm quite annoyed as UFO won't work on my new laptop. Doesn't support windows 7 so can blast any Sectoids!!
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:59 am

Getting old games to work at all on modern machines is half the battle if you are a retro head. Ive got a folder of classic games I would love to play but so far have not managed to get running. Dosbox is handy for those really old creaking games but even then it can still be a nightmare getting everything working, sound and graphics.
I'd recommend giving the version of Alien Breed I put up a go Lance if you liked the original- its a smooth, faithful reproduction and runs fine on modern systems. (You will need to pm me your email so I can give access if you do want it).

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:28 am

Luckily Lance some dedicated sole has remade UFO Enemy Unknown for modern pc's. Ive added it to the collection. Here's some screenshots.

Save this planet from aliens!
Favourite computer games of all time. Ufo2012-04-1609-09-58-69

With a suitably located International Base
Favourite computer games of all time. Ufo2012-04-1609-11-00-92

Home sweet home
Favourite computer games of all time. Ufo2012-04-1609-11-13-79

Mmm, I supsect there may be an alien here somewhere- but where?
Favourite computer games of all time. Ufo2012-04-1609-17-30-80

Hiding in the Barn- sneaky alien- they shot Bob! affraid
Favourite computer games of all time. Ufo2012-04-1609-17-46-64

Oh you need to run the config file- let you set your graphics, res etc you load the game from there.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:45 am

Where did you find that? Geoscape graphics look great!

Battlescape doesnt look much different other than the staircase from the front of the Skyranger (hopefully stops those ambushes when you try and get out the back and some cheeky alien fires a stun bomb to take out your whole team.

P.S. - Bob may be dead, but what is his mate Tony doing? He doesn't even have a gun.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:20 pm

Hey! I love my video games too!
The first game I ever remember playing was Ocarina of Time on N64 that my Dad was playing, and even though I failed miserably, it's still up there as one of my favourite videogames! Smile Plus it has an amazing soundtrack!! Super Smash Brothers, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Donkey Kong, and Super Mario Brothers, all that stuff I used to play.

Morrowind also had a corner of my heart as I spent many a day saving random strangers all over that island. Didn't get into Oblivion as much.
Interestingly enough, it was a Runescape forum that was the first forum I ever joined on the interwebs, over at sythe.org, and before THM, it was the last forum I was ever active at. Very Happy I did become slightly addicted to that game playing it through 07 to 09. I honestly did really enjoy working out the quests, but I think I became slightly too mature for the new mass kid appeal the game was taking Wink

Mass Effect and The Elder scrolls are the only games that pass on longevity, and then I suppose an honourable mention goes out to Caeser 2 and Civ2 (the best one IMO) not amazing games but lovely to myself nonetheless! Nod Also, LOTRO, while not one of my favourite games as such, it used to have/has a n amazing community when I used to play it which made the game SO MUCH BETTER!

Well, cheerio folks!

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:22 pm

Another honourable mention to LOTR: FOTR on PS2 just for that starting level where you have to escape the Shire from the black riders. I found that pretty scary at the time, and impossibly hard!

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next