David H
The Wobbit A Parody
Eldorion
Pettytyrant101
halfwise
23 posters

Page 12 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next

Go down

continuing proofs America is wacko - Page 12 Empty Re: continuing proofs America is wacko

Post by Amarië Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:40 am

Norc wrote:
Amarië wrote:
Norc wrote:I don't watch Paradise, what's the statement?

I don't watch it either, I watched Torsdags kveld fra Nydalen (comedy show), and THEY had been watching. Razz

"Hun er ikke min type, hun ser litt jordnær ut. Jeg er litt mer "Down To Earth".

haha xD omg.. I remember last year they had made some "new" sayings, by saying the old sayings wrong and all the proffesors became super frustrated and we had it up for discussion in class x)

continuing proofs America is wacko - Page 12 Grinning-smiley-044

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

continuing proofs America is wacko - Page 12 Empty Re: continuing proofs America is wacko

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:23 pm

You hit the nail on the head Amarie. with the folksy statement.

I can understand why Turembar got angry, if I hadnt known Orwell before in Bree I would have probably thought the comments about Americans was just provocation for the sake of it. Now I understand his modus operandaii I dont get uptight about it, I get the humour behind the comments, and the underlying philosophy, and I know its not meant as a personal attack on anyone on the forum.
But I have to be totally honest with you all when I say I still find it makes me squirm sometimes. I find it a bit well harsh, I know thats not the point, the point is free speach, satire, and debate and all that stuff, I get it. I know Eldo, Dave, Halfwise are Americans and dont seem to mind, they see the injustices and discuss them as is right.
In general and not just here I think slagging off America is an easy target, its got its weirdos and its injustices like anywhere, I personally find the Isle of Man far creepier, but anyway I will just have to not go to the Serious threads if I dont like it.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:33 pm

I always have had the idea that you can find weirdos everywhere, but in America you find them in larger groups and in societys (being loads of people) and therefore they are more noticable.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Turembar Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:38 pm

OK, I think I understand this better. I believe what you are saying is genuinely meant and was mis-interpreting the signals. There's various reasons why, but you can develop a hair-trigger reaction, as a defense mechanism. Other then the posts that startled me, I have enjoyed both Orwell's and Petty's conversations otherwise.
Turembar
Turembar
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:42 pm

Norc wrote:I always have had the idea that you can find weirdos everywhere...

It's like you can see into my soul, Norc! I feel darn naked all of a sudden, and you should know by now how I hate that feeling! Shocked

Last edited by Orwell on Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:43 pm

I think its because they speak English so we read about the weirdos with more ease, if it was China or Russia, Africa or India, the extent of the weirdness is hidden because we dont speak the lingo. I actually think without America we would be in deep shit, but thats just my probably politically naive opinion.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:46 pm

Turembar wrote:OK, I think I understand this better. I believe what you are saying is genuinely meant and was mis-interpreting the signals. There's various reasons why, but you can develop a hair-trigger reaction, as a defense mechanism. Other then the posts that startled me, I have enjoyed both Orwell's and Petty's conversations otherwise.

This is yet another occasion for catharsis - and by all here it seems Turember - that's a very Forumshirish thing btw. There are other novel Forumsjirish things yet for you to discover! We're open - and sometimes our openess includes opening wounds, mostly accidentally. Welcome! Very Happy

Mind you, I did not take too kindly to Amarie's slur on my Wisdom! Yes, Amarie- I saw it! Mad

Last edited by Orwell on Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:50 pm

Orwell wrote:
Norc wrote:I always have had the idea that you can find weirdos everywhere, but in America you find them in larger groups and in societys (being loads of people) and therefore they are more noticable.

It's like you can see into my soul, Norc! I feel darn naked all of a sudden, and you should know by now how I hate that feeling! Shocked

never underestament the power of stupid people in large groups Wink
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:54 pm

People in small villages (like Forumshire) are always wise, of course, Norc. Very Happy

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:57 pm

Orwell wrote:(...)
Mind you, I did not take too kindly to Amarie's slur on my Wisdom! Yes, Amarie- I saw it! Mad

Who's being insanely touchy now, dear? Cool

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:58 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:I think its because they speak English so we read about the weirdos with more ease, if it was China or Russia, Africa or India, the extent of the weirdness is hidden because we dont speak the lingo. I actually think without America we would be in deep shit, but thats just my probably politically naive opinion.

I don't know if you find it ironic or not, but I've often defended America against the criticisms of Eldorion... In fact, I've pipped him for being 'over' critical at times. Weird world, aint it - topsy turvey at times. I've even been hintded to be an apologist for America's wars in Iran and Afghanistan.... Fancy Turembar you thinking me anti-American. It is a topsy turvey world, hey - but it is Forumshire. Nod

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:01 pm

Amarië wrote:

No, no, I didn't mean it that way.... You know as well as I do that I can take as good as I give... Nod

{{{Note to self: F*^%$#@g Fjordianlandians! Mad Now there's a Race one can despise! Banghead }}}

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:21 pm

Orwell wrote:
Amarië wrote:

No, no, I didn't mean it that way.... You know as well as I do that I can take as good as I give... Nod

Spoken as the true gentleman that you are. Nod

{{{*sniff sniff* Is that peppermint, DP cat? Suspect I mean, E' det pepparmynte, DPkatt? }}}

-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:36 pm

Now this is the Forumshire way Turembar- you had a complaint, its been heard, everyone has a chance to have their say and its resolved and everyone moves on better for the experience. If only the rest of the world was based on our model what a happy place it could be.
And I for one like Americans- especially the stupid ones- they are so entertaining! Wink

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:58 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:
And I for one like Americans- especially the stupid ones- they are so entertaining! Wink

I wholeheartedly agree!
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:37 pm

Personally there is nothing weirder, scarier or more paranoid than a small village, in large cities it gets diffused, but in small suffocating communities it is far worse.
I think stupid people from any Nation are entertaining, and Americans dont have the monopoly. The human race in general is stupid, I am surprised we have survived so long. I thought England was bad until I moved here to Italy, I have seen stupidity here that makes my toes curl. There seems to be more of it and its relentless. Shocked

Last edited by Mrs Figg on Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:38 pm

Well obvioulsy the English are just as bad. Very Happy

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:42 pm

and you lot have never got over Hadrian having the affronery to build a wall to keep the Barbarians out. Mad
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:50 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Well the mischive maker there Mrs Figgs would be Halfwise- the OP for this thread.
Although I suspect it may have been more for the lighthearted look at the wackier things America does- at least up until I introduced the topic of a murdered child into the debate....... Embarassed

Jeez, I go off for a weekend and come back to find brickbats and lawn furniture and random stray cats being tossed too and fro, all on my innocent and likely traumatized thread. Typical, typical.

I started the thread because I genuinely feel America is wacko: a mix of the brilliant and jaw-dropping insane, and I revel in that. I don't mind references to things like Americans being dumb because I know just how much truth there is in them - juxtaposed against flashes of true greatness.

I went off this weekend to watch my cousin get married. On this side of the family I have four aunts plus my mother, all very liberal (my grandmother knew calculus in an age when people were still grumbling about women having the right to vote), and an uncle, very conservative (grandpa seemed stymied by grandma's intellect). The cousin was from my uncle, and was marrying into an ultra-conservative Christian family. So the pastor saw fit to spend a good 10 minutes defending the biblical injunction for a wife to be submissive to her husband. The other side of the aisle were all nodding their heads throughout, while my aunts (all over age 70 by now) fumed, and their husbands nearly choked to keep from laughing. Worth the trip just for that moment.

That scene could have been repeated nearly anywhere in the world, so I'm not saying America has a monopoly on wackiness. Is it Sweden that's trying to avoid all mention of gender in grade school? But I wanted a thread where Americans could show we don't all believe the country is a paragon the world should follow in toto. Some Americans actually do believe this.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:50 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:
I think stupid people from any Nation are entertaining, and Americans dont have the monopoly. The human race in general is stupid, I am surprised we have survived so long. I thought England was bad until I moved here to Italy, I have seen stupidity here that makes my toes curl. There seems to be more of it and its relentless. Shocked

Earlier you had asked if Evangeline made my toes curl, but I took that in a more uh, stimulating way.

My, what a number of ways you use toe curling for!

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Turembar Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:53 pm

Figgy, I'm half Italian and growing up we reveled in Italian jokes most of all. In fact when that side of the family was together they were the only kind we told. Recently a writer asked a bunch of famous people where they would go to spend their last days if they knew the world was going to end on 21 Dec 2012. One guy said southern Italy, because it still would be unfinished by mid 2014.
Turembar
Turembar
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:59 pm

and you lot have never got over Hadrian having the affronery to build a wall to keep the Barbarians out.- Mrs Figg

Whatever do you mean Mrs Figg- Hadrian did a splendid wall -kept all those English out of Scotland- worked perfectly. Man's a national hero. Good commission that. Nod

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:01 pm

we tell jokes about the swedes.. they're even worse than the americans ..
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:05 pm

Do a good line in flat pack furntiure though Norc. Credit where credit is due. And their, um, liberal, sauna culture is surely to be applauded. Nod

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Turembar Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:06 pm

Yes it goes on & on. Laughing Up north the Minnasotans tell jokes about the North Dakotans.
Turembar
Turembar
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next