David H
The Wobbit A Parody
Eldorion
Pettytyrant101
halfwise
23 posters

Page 11 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next

Go down

continuing proofs America is wacko - Page 11 Empty Re: continuing proofs America is wacko

Post by Orwell Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:00 am

Yes, my philosophy exactly. Only attack if you're attacked first, I say. It's the Law of Self Defence. I'm not a turn the other cheek type - well, not always anyhow. If ideas can be discussed without getting all personal, I hold that as a good thing. I don't have to agree with anyone's ideas, but I feel an obligation to agree that they have a right to form their own ideas. (Of course, in the Practical World, Laws must be obeyed, so long as they're not ones your fervently disagree with --- and, no Petty - I would not lay my life on the line to repeal Cannnabis Laws, even if I wonder about the neccessity for them! Mad )

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

continuing proofs America is wacko - Page 11 Empty Re: continuing proofs America is wacko

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:03 am

I never said a word!- perhaps you heard GB thinking from afar he has that power you know.
But laying down your life for it would be a bit silly. Especially as reason, argument and data is a far better basis for arguing for changes in the law, erm, or I am sure thats what GB would have said, were he here instead of just thinking really loudly.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:05 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:I never said a word!- perhaps you heard GB thinking from afar he has that power you know.
But laying down your life for it would be a bit silly. Especially as reason, argument and data is a far better basis for arguing for changes in the law, erm, or I am sure thats what GB would have said, were he here instead of just thinking really loudly.

Laughing It's funny to say, but I think the the acrimony of late here would have been perfectly to GB's taste! cheers

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:09 am

and starting a thread slagging off a whole Nation wasnt going to get acrimonious was it? duh! :facepalm:
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:13 am

It was only one politician, Mrs Figg! Rolling Eyes

{{{Excuse me a moment, Mrs Figg and Petty - I'm on the palantir to Anon at the moment...}}}

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:15 am

Well the mischive maker there Mrs Figgs would be Halfwise- the OP for this thread.
Although I suspect it may have been more for the lighthearted look at the wackier things America does- at least up until I introduced the topic of a murdered child into the debate....... Embarassed
How rude Orwell to be on the palantir in the middle of a conversation!

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:20 am

he is rude, he needs a slap round the knees. Suspect

are you sure it was Halfwise and not Ferguson? he has a warped sense of fun that one. and too much free time. and a chip on his shoulder like all the best majordomii

Last edited by Mrs Figg on Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:22 am

Mrs Figg wrote:and starting a thread slagging off a whole Nation wasnt going to get acrimonious was it? duh! :facepalm:

For what it's worth, the starter of this thread is an American and many of the people posting here have likewise been Americans. Shrugging
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:23 am

I get confused with the mask Mrs Figg. Hard enough on buckie to make out faces without them changing all the bloody time! Evil or Very Mad

Well Eldo if anyone should know how wacko Americans are it should be one of them. I'm willing to take Halfwise/Ferguson's word for it. Nod

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:26 am

Its still asking for trouble though innit? its ok when its just the regulars who get the tone, but newbies could find it all a bit aggressive and jump in boots first. just sayin. Shocked

Last edited by Mrs Figg on Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:33 am

The tone in general on this forum can be quite hard to grasp- which is why if someone seems to have missed it, or maybe gone over the top in their response it should gently and politely be pointed out to them and then the debate can continue.
One could thing about ths place is its not a grudge holding sort of a place. People are always willing to accept none of us are perfect, we are all going to say silly things, or things we maybe should not, but so long as that can be recognised by all its never been a problem.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:39 am

yes we all go off at the deep end from time to time, its normal, and I am glad you said that about no grudges held, thats important to know. I found this place very confusing and hard to negotiate at first, the tone is confusing and the terminology is odd to say the least. It helped that I had met some of you before, I kind of got a handle on the sarkytude levels, which can be high, but that suits me fine.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:42 am

Grudges are like regrets Mrs Figg- the only person they really effect is the person who holds them. And besides it takes effort to maintain a grudge and what with buckie to be drunk, and jacuzzi's to be had I just don't have the time!*

*please note the Coal Scuttle incident with the Bankses is different. Its a feud not a grudge. And I've always got time for that. Twisted Evil

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by odo banks Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:51 am

I had read the other (silly_) posts here, and before I got to yours, Mr Tyrant, I had already thought of at least ONE grudge, that will always be held! And Rightly so! Evil or Very Mad

{{{Strangely, I think you and I think alike, Mr Tyrant. It's like Good (me) and Evil (you) recognizing each other Shocked And btw one hobbit's grudge is another hobbit's feud where I come from. Mad }}}

Respectable Hobbit of Needlehole

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:59 am

{{{{I dont know what you mean Odo. We Tyrants have always been on the side of good- look at what we stand for- more buckie for all, free pipeweed, public punishments for PJ and the Coven for every bit of LotR's they arsed up, a barrel of their own to live in for every hobbit and the return of magical coal scuttles to their rightful owners without them 'gein it the greetin faces act'*- what could me more on the side of good than that?

*Scotdale legal term.}}}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by odo banks Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:29 am

{{{ Rolling Eyes ... Anyhow, I'm off to make up some vegetable garden beds --- well, I'm going to supervise the 'making'.... I'll deal with you later... Mad Btw, I read an interesting piece in Wholesome Tales very recently, Mr Tyrant... very interesting it were... Evil or Very Mad }}}

Respectable Hobbit of Needlehole

Back to top Go down

Post by Turembar Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:38 am

To they that are questioning, this is what I see as the problem. I've been here only about 1-2 weeks and this guy keeps making offensive and unprovoked comments. Here's some of them:

"Intelligent Americans -- how confusing that's going to be for me from now on! And isn't 'Intelligent American' an oxymoron anyway?"
http://www.hobbitmovieforum.com/t328p15-anyone-gonna-watch-lilyhammer
"Maybe wars are not really for heroes but for cowards puffed up by your mates?"
http://www.hobbitmovieforum.com/t348p195-continuing-proofs-america-is-wacko
"I knew it... that's why I'm voting for that Practicing Moron, Romney!"
http://www.hobbitmovieforum.com/t348p225-continuing-proofs-america-is-wacko

If you look at replies to the first & second comments, you will see I and one other member unambigiously expressed we do not appreciate these kind of provocations. But he won't stop the name calling. Are they satire ? I don't think so, or see the humor.

I take the American and Soldier insulting personnally. On the last, he works in calling all Mormons 'morons' on his way to bashing Romney. It's an American based religion and we have at least one Mormon on this forum.

If his kind of unprovoked aggression is allowed here, whatever, it's your forum. But don't expect me to put up with it. The question I asked above was not if he was insulting or not, but instead why was he insulting others unprovoked. I really go out of my way not to start fights, but if he does, I don't think it's wrong to respond in kind.

Turembar
Turembar
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by The Archet Bugle Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:16 am

ORWELL'S PRESS STATEMENT

"Intelligent Americans -- how confusing that's going to be for me from now on! And isn't 'Intelligent American' an oxymoron anyway?"

A gag, directed - if at anyone in particular - at the likes of Eldo and David H, Americans who have a sense of humour, and joke about Ozzies when in the mood.

"Maybe wars are not really for heroes but for cowards puffed up by your mates?"

A philosophic question. A call to thoughtfulness. Not directed at America but at War itself and an individual's attitude and part in it. I could say the same about police when they get together, armed and uniformed. (I'm an operational Cop btw Turembar. I know about the 'courage' inherent in wearing a uniform - sometimes real, sometimes mere bravado).

"I knew it... that's why I'm voting for that Practicing Moron, Romney!".

A good pun (I thought), not to be taken too seriously by anyone. Standard satirical fare.

Your reply is rife with paranoia, Turembar. I am often "provacative" - maybe - but 'provocation'? I submit, only if one is insanely touchy.

This place runs hot on humour, some of it uncomfortable at times, but any insults are usually done in a 'mock' universe.

Hope you better understand now. Relax. Breathe the free (with responsibility) air.

Check out the stuff that I say about the Scots. Petty will tell you all about it. He laughs - and plans his revenge! That's how things go here.
The Archet Bugle
The Archet Bugle
Forumshire's Most Respectable Journal

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:03 am

Well I suppose it was going to happen eventually- someone taking you at complete face value Orwell.
Turembar most posts about here are a mix of making a point and a stab at humour (often self-depricating). In the case of Americans the notion it's a country full of not very bright people is a common one outside of the US and using this for humour is not a new thing, made all the more humorous by the fact we all know it to be untrue as we have Americans on this forum who more than prove otherwise- had Orwell made personnal attacks on those individuals that would have been out of order, making a joke about a countries perceived image or using it for humour is perfectly acceptable (much of my own personna is based on myths of Scotland others have - I mock my own country in just the same way. I also called all Australians criminals not many posts ago- do I really think they are or was it just a joke about the countries origins and the UK attitde to it at the time? It should I hope be clear.
As to the moron gag- its just a pun and less a joke on Mormons so much as a statement about politicians and their usefulness, the only place mormons come into is in providing a word so easy to corrupt to moron. And frankly even if Orwell did just want to say all Mormons are idiots (not that he did but if he had) that is a valid point of view if unpolitely put. If I think religion is a load of ludicrous tosh best left behind in childhood with Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy then I am are free to say so . If you disagree you are free to say so. If my crack about it being like the Tooth Fairy upsets then you can always point that out, argue its inappropriate but it would not be appropriate for you to attack me personnally as a response, the idea is to argue the view not the poster.
So if you thought Orwell was just attacking America all the time then argue against what he says not against him, otherwise there is the risk people are accused over nothing more than a misunderstanding of the humour or the point they are making. I think Turembar you will find if you query something you are unhappy about rather than an angry reaction to it, you allow the poster to respond and you will find there is never an intention to solely offend.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:32 am

Accumulated resentment. I was right. (Gee, what a fitting thing to point out Rolling Eyes )

Here's a smiley for you Turembar, you can use it when Orwell is being far too "funny" and should get of stage. Wink
continuing proofs America is wacko - Page 11 Tomater

You should listen to Petty though (I can hardly believe I said those words...). And mrs Figg. And not so much to Orwell.
Being here can often be a test of patience, understanding, character, sensitivity (both your own and towards others) and temper. But that's a good thing. Or so I think anyway.

I am often "provacative" - maybe - but 'provocation'? -Orwell
There's a quote which got a lot of laughs here in Norway. It looses a little bit in translation, but it is from some blond chick at Paradise Hotel who seriously declared that. "She's not my type, she looks at bit folksy. I am a bit more down-to-earth."
Somehow that sprang to mind. Not sure why...

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:17 am

I don't watch Paradise, what's the statement?
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:21 am

You should listen to Petty though (I can hardly believe I said those words...).- Amarie

And I can hardly beieve you wrote them. You are quite right though more people should listen to me. Nod The world would be a happier, more drunken place if they did- until the fights over who spilled whose pint and the accusations of "are you staring at my bird? How not? You saying she's not hot enough?" break out. drunken

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:25 am

Norc wrote:I don't watch Paradise, what's the statement?

I don't watch it either, I watched Torsdags kveld fra Nydalen (comedy show), and THEY had been watching. Razz

"Hun er ikke min type, hun ser litt jordnær ut. Jeg er litt mer "Down To Earth".

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:30 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:You should listen to Petty though (I can hardly believe I said those words...).- Amarie

And I can hardly beieve you wrote them. You are quite right though more people should listen to me. Nod The world would be a happier, more drunken place if they did- until the fights over who spilled whose pint and the accusations of "are you staring at my bird? How not? You saying she's not hot enough?" break out. drunken

Yeah, the world sure needs more of that... But, you also preach Dr Who, and that we need. Though the above may also serve as a warning in regards to Amy.

-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:37 am

Amarië wrote:
Norc wrote:I don't watch Paradise, what's the statement?

I don't watch it either, I watched Torsdags kveld fra Nydalen (comedy show), and THEY had been watching. Razz

"Hun er ikke min type, hun ser litt jordnær ut. Jeg er litt mer "Down To Earth".

haha xD omg.. I remember last year they had made some "new" sayings, by saying the old sayings wrong and all the proffesors became super frustrated and we had it up for discussion in class x)
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next