Eldorion
Pettytyrant101
Orwell
Norc
Amarië
17 posters

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40

Go down

Fjordlandia Viking bar & kaffistove, main str. 221B, Needlehole - Page 40 Empty Re: Fjordlandia Viking bar & kaffistove, main str. 221B, Needlehole

Post by Amarië Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:34 pm

Yeah, I saw them come to his rescue. Laughing

I might have tried to aim for gardemusikken. Wink But I can't shake the feeling that a year in service running about in the mountains might have done me some good.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Fjordlandia Viking bar & kaffistove, main str. 221B, Needlehole - Page 40 Empty Re: Fjordlandia Viking bar & kaffistove, main str. 221B, Needlehole

Post by halfwise Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:40 pm

There have been arguments for mandatory service here, but the country is just too big I think.  Lessee, if you get everyone for 1 year of service, that's still 4 or 5 million. Shocked What would you do with number of people?  The number of silly jobs created I think would turn people off the military, and it would lose respect.

I like our current volunteer system, made up of those who want to be there.  It has been criticized because mainly the poor (and by demographics racial minorities) see it as an opportunity, so mainly the poor and minorities are being sacrificed during combat.  I don't completely buy it - pictures of the soldiers seem pretty much to be a demographic spread, if not perfect.

I'd prefer to know the U.S. soldiers have made a choice, and don't resent being there.  Though nearly all conscripts I know from past wars have been proud of their service.  Obviously the system worked for Ringo, I don't think it would work for everyone. On the other hand, most youth here could use a year of pushups and running and organization and being made to cleanup after themselves....

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:51 pm

Ringo; Yes, that's making a career of it I guess which is very different. Nod 

I did get a bit lucky. My brother also got a postponement but they tried to recall him. He ended up getting a doctors note as he's a musician.

Nora; As Amarïe says you could always have gone to one of the army music things I suppose. Smile  Though I'm unsure wether they do strings. Shrugging

I was talking to this guy in the Opera Orchestra who said he had been in a marching band, then joined the marching band in Garden and when he left there did an audition for the Opera Orchestra and was hired. So a secure job in a respected Orchestra without a day of musical schooling at university level. Doesn't sound so bad.

But as I said you're all the better of for not going. Nod 

Amarïe; Heimevernet. pale

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:56 pm

Heimevernet - Norwegian Home Guard Wink (At least that's what they call it when presentations are being held in English)

Fjordlandia Viking bar & kaffistove, main str. 221B, Needlehole - Page 40 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:09 pm

Amarië wrote:Yeah, I saw them come to his rescue. Laughing

I might have tried to aim for gardemusikken. ;)But I can't shake the feeling that a year in service running about in the mountains might have done me some good.
also you would have to cut your hair
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:10 pm

halfwise wrote:There have been arguments for mandatory service here, but the country is just too big I think.  Lessee, if you get everyone for 1 year of service, that's still 4 or 5 million. Shocked What would you do with number of people?  The number of silly jobs created I think would turn people off the military, and it would lose respect.

I like our current volunteer system, made up of those who want to be there.  It has been criticized because mainly the poor (and by demographics racial minorities) see it as an opportunity, so mainly the poor and minorities are being sacrificed during combat.  I don't completely buy it - pictures of the soldiers seem pretty much to be a demographic spread, if not perfect.

I'd prefer to know the U.S. soldiers have made a choice, and don't resent being there.  Though nearly all conscripts I know from past wars have been proud of their service.  Obviously the system worked for Ringo, I don't think it would work for everyone.  On the other hand, most youth here could use a year of pushups and running and organization and being made to cleanup after themselves....
they recruit young people outside of schools.. presents it as a good way to earn money for college.. jesus, no i don't like the US system, sorry. it works for some, but it doesn't for many.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:11 pm

He ended up getting a doctors note as he's a musician. - Bluebottle

how? what? that's not being a doctor scratch

and cool story about that opera dude Very Happy no unfortunately i don't think they do strings in the royal guard Rolling Eyes
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:15 pm

Bluebottle wrote:My brother also got a postponement but they tried to recall him. He ended up getting a doctors note as he's a musician.
Fjordlandia Viking bar & kaffistove, main str. 221B, Needlehole - Page 40 Humre_zps6dcd8a7e Laughing Fjordlandia Viking bar & kaffistove, main str. 221B, Needlehole - Page 40 Hah1_zps5549c45f

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:16 pm

i don't get it.. why is that funny?
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:21 pm

Norc; Doctors note. As in a sick note. He had some issues with his hand which might have rendered him unable to play guitar after the strain of military service.

It might be funny because I cut the problem with the hand part before posting so it now looks to cast certain aspertions on musicians in general. Aspertions Amarïe seem to be all to readily aware of. Laughing

Last edited by Bluebottle on Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:26 pm; edited 2 times in total

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:23 pm

seriously! omg.. that is ridiculous.. i mean... senebetennelse? typical musician injury :roll:but a good excuse to avoid military Very Happy
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:40 pm

It seemed to work well. Very Happy 

Then again that's the sort of things the rules must protect. Nod  You can't go risking peoples livelihoods.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:41 pm

haha.. yeah Razz ..
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:56 pm

it keeps snowing and hailing and it is ridiculous. the windows at my school were snowed down and there is snow on the walls.. and from the five minutes it took walking from my bus stop (had to take another buss) my face was numb and i couldn't feel my thighs.. 
just to show.. my sister took this picture out of the front window of the while driving home.
Fjordlandia Viking bar & kaffistove, main str. 221B, Needlehole - Page 40 1441406_10201170576242762_1023413049_n
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:40 pm

That looks so cool- like a massive starburst! Or was your sister driving so fast you hit hyperspace?! Shocked

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:10 pm

bye Norc. It's been fun, we'll entertain ourselves with the more Southern Fjordlandians while you're gone.

-------

http://www.hobbitmovieforum.com/viewtopic.forum?t=829

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40