Pettytyrant101
Orwell
Eldorion
31 posters

Page 24 of 41 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 32 ... 41  Next

Go down

US Presidential Election 2012 - Page 24 Empty Re: US Presidential Election 2012

Post by David H Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:30 am

Yeah, I was going to make a comment when I posted that, but words failed me....
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:37 am

I appreciated the Obama campaign's response. Probably could have been stronger but honestly ... what can you say?

US Presidential Election 2012 - Page 24 VE1OP

Also, I found it particularly bizarre that Eastwood focused on and received big cheers for his anti-war stance when Romney is the one who wants to stay in Afghanistan indefinitely. scratch
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:03 pm

I sat and watched Romney's speech and found out I was a Democrat. cheers

(Odo, of course, is all for the Repubicans now! Very Happy )

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:06 pm

Yeah that was some speech all right. I can see that appealing to the base but is such an endorsement likely to swing many undecided?- I would hope not.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:37 pm

I thought I had gone back in time, I did. Back to the 60's and the Cold War. I love America, but not when they're God's (only) Country, rattle sabres and pretend they care about the vulnerable. If Romney stands for some kind of 'way forward" his rhetoric is back to front. Yuk! His America is a chilling prospect. And the crowd, they were so unenthused until Romney rattled his sabre!!!! Eeek!

{{{Oh yes, Odo was disappointed Romney said nothing about bringing back slavery, putting Women back in their place, and cutting wages and all hope of humane healthcare.}}}

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:56 pm

Romney scares me even more than Bush. I think he is the anti-Christ come on Earth. Smooth talking, seemingly a family man with 'values', the sort that lulls you into a false sense of sicurity and then slowly slowly under the cover of his 'beliefs' he puts women back 60 years and fucks us all in the process with his war mongering. Mad
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:29 pm

I'm watching Romneys speech and Im confused already- he talks at the start about the immigrants who came to America to build a better future, the 'huddled masses'- arent the Republicans anti-immigration? Arent they opposed to Obama allowing immigrants under 21's with no criminal record getting citizenship?

Then he made the case that for the first time ever Americans dont believe their children will be better off than them- this might be true but was true from the moment Bush and the Republicans deregulated the banking sector completely and caused the global finanacial collapse. How that is Obama or the Democratis fault I dont see- they just got the job of trying to mop the piss up they werent the ones who took the leak.
Are American memories really so short?

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:08 pm

US Presidential Election 2012 - Page 24 480x

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:22 pm

Very Happy

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:41 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Are American memories really so short?

Yes.

Also, I love the jab from the Modern Family guy. Very Happy I don't like many sitcoms but this one has impressed each time I've caught an episode.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:59 pm

The Federal Bailout That Saved Mitt Romney - Rolling Stone

Excerpt:

Mitt Romney likes to say he won't "apologize" for his success in business. But what he never says is "thank you" – to the American people – for the federal bailout of Bain & Company that made so much of his outsize wealth possible.

According to the candidate's mythology, Romney took leave of his duties at the private equity firm Bain Capital in 1990 and rode in on a white horse to lead a swift restructuring of Bain & Company, preventing the collapse of the consulting firm where his career began. When The Boston Globe reported on the rescue at the time of his Senate run against Ted Kennedy, campaign aides spun Romney as the wizard behind a "long-shot miracle," bragging that he had "saved bank depositors all over the country $30 million when he saved Bain & Company."

In fact, government documents on the bailout obtained by Rolling Stone show that the legend crafted by Romney is basically a lie. The federal records, obtained under the Freedom of Information Act, reveal that Romney's initial rescue attempt at Bain & Company was actually a disaster – leaving the firm so financially strapped that it had "no value as a going concern." Even worse, the federal bailout ultimately engineered by Romney screwed the FDIC – the bank insurance system backed by taxpayers – out of at least $10 million. And in an added insult, Romney rewarded top executives at Bain with hefty bonuses at the very moment that he was demanding his handout from the feds.

LOL
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:01 pm

I should note that I don't have anything against bailouts in principle but the ultimate irony here (beyond Romney's apparently endless douchiness) is that he has spent much of his campaign railing against bailouts.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:39 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:Romney scares me even more than Bush, I think he is the anti-Christ come on Earth. Smooth talking, seemingly a family man with 'values', the sort that lulls you into a false sense of sicurity and then slowly slowly under the cover of his 'beliefs' he puts women back 60 years and fucks us all in the process with his war mongering. Mad

Historically war and rape go together, Mrs Figg, so you better hope Romney keeps his sabre in his pants! Nod

I can't begin to explain how 'insidious" I found Romney and the whole convention! Hitler was far more charismatic, but the message was practically the same. A dangerous (mild seeming) individual and potential tyrant. Yuk! Talk about unpalatable.

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:41 pm

Eldorion wrote:I should note that I don't have anything against bailouts in principle but the ultimate irony here (beyond Romney's apparently endless douchiness) is that he has spent much of his campaign railing against bailouts.

Self-serving and insincere. As I alluded above, I can't begin to express how watching Romney was a game-changer for me. The whole thing really disgusted me. I see myself as a Moderate, and I would never vote for a Fascist. My skin is crawling.

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:15 pm

I didn't take to Romney but I didnt have as strong a reaction to him as you Orwell.
The one I found terrifying was Condoleeza Rice, she's also very clever, and I found her underlying message highly disturbing.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:33 pm

Rewatching her speech there- and yet again this American Dream concept comes up.
This idea America is a country of opportunity- no matter background or race ect.
Now America suposedly doesn't have a class system, the UK does.
And yet the people who are the poor here, and the sort of work, when any, they do is the same sort as in America, the middle classes have all the same problems, do the same sort of jobs, as do the rich.
If our structures are so different and the American Dream exists shouldn't there be a noticable difference between the two countries?

edit add- this US habit of praising America in speeches as the 'freest country on earth' 'the beacon of hope for the planet' and the like is starting to get on my tits! Evil or Very Mad It might go down well with the grass roots but in this global age to foreign ears like mine its offensive. Its saying I am not as free as an American and that I need to look to it for hope. Piss off no I dont. Extremely Crabbit

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:20 am

I thought Clint Eastwood was funny at the Republican convention last night. lol!

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:07 am

Republicans and Tories. The Ruling Class. Secret paedophiles, racists, bigots, chauvinists, sodomites (in a bad way, not a good way), White Supremicists, self-promoters, cheats, criminals and bullies generally. Now, in Odo that might all be loveable and all, but in humans, I find it distasteful.

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by odo banks Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:15 am

I think it's disgusting how you pry into respectable people's private lives, Orwell, and just to score a cheap political point! You're the disgusting one! Rolling Eyes

Respectable Hobbit of Needlehole

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:17 am

Well, it's largely true what I'm saying, Odo. People pretending to be peace loving, decent folks, but full of corruption and vilence - just like Jesus (Son of Eru) always knew!

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by odo banks Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:21 am

I expect proper behaviour publicly, and Eru's forgiveness for private behaviour. Saint Paul (the Needleholian) invented Jesus for just such a purpose. Blurting things out for all to see is... well.... unrespectable, Orwell. For shame, for shame, for shame! Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:24 am

Didn't Jesus (Son of Eru) once say that you can't hide a candle under a bushel?

Last edited by Orwell on Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:25 am; edited 1 time in total

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by odo banks Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:25 am

Lit or unlit? Suspect

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:26 am

I can't remember. Suspect

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by odo banks Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:28 am

Well then, get your facts right before you unleash all your salacious accusations next time! Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Page 24 of 41 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 32 ... 41  Next