chris63
Eldorion
Kafria
Orwell
Pettytyrant101
26 posters

Page 10 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 25 ... 40  Next

Go down

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 10 Empty Re: Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:10 am

I am so glad you have found this show Ally- its one of my favourites- may I also recomend on the same channel the News Quiz with Sandi Tosvik and that perannial classic Just a Minute. And if you ever have a hankering for some quality classic BBC RAdio 4 comedy I recommend looking up Round the Horn- that broke the mold of comedy for everything that followed- from the Goons to Monty Python to the Young Ones and Blackadder and beyond.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 10 Empty Re: Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:55 pm

Latest episode is up Ally- and its from Swansea.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01ks3v9/Im_Sorry_I_Havent_A_Clue_Series_57_Episode_4/

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:49 pm

As an occasional listener to Radio4, I sometimes catch nuggets of ISIHAC- this week it just so happened to be the last segment of Pick of The Week before the Archers started... Nod

Wow, glad to see Swansea doing so well- I'll try and catch some of those shows soon then!

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:09 am

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 10 Screen29
chris63
chris63
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:20 am

That's all well and good, but sleeping through class is actually the best approach. Don't believe me? I can prove it with made up numerology!

The common shorthand for sleeping is "zzzz", as in "catching z's".

Z + Z + Z + Z
26+26+26+26 = 104

The only way to go beyond perfect and get extra credit is by snoozing instead of studying. Nod
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:23 am

:facepalm:
chris63
chris63
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:05 am

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 10 2805329281_fce2189557_z
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:31 am

Is that what you're up to on your carrot farm, Dave? Suspect
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:16 pm

Dave, where you come from, do all girl carrots have penises? Shocked

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:02 pm

when they start strolling around marking their teritory then you can worry. Shocked
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:09 pm

Eldorion wrote:That's all well and good, but sleeping through class is actually the best approach. Don't believe me? I can prove it with made up numerology!

The common shorthand for sleeping is "zzzz", as in "catching z's".

Z + Z + Z + Z
26+26+26+26 = 104

The only way to go beyond perfect and get extra credit is by snoozing instead of studying. Nod
no. no. no. you're wrong. many in my class, as much as half of the people, were sleeping, half of the rest of em were on tetris battle or some other gaming devise/facebook, and the rest (about 5 people) payed more or less attention and two, me and one other, acutally took notes. let's just say that too many has to go the year twice and many have changed "line", going work thingi education. or sport.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:06 pm

Orwell wrote:Dave, where you come from, do all girl carrots have penises? Shocked

That's a male carrot, Orwell. Not being a farmer it may be a little tricky for you to tell them apart sometimes, but it's really pretty easy. See below:

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 10 Carrot
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:38 pm

Those were 'girl carrot' legs, or I'm no judge! Suspect

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:55 pm

Ah, I can relate to that confusion based on some of my trips to the city. Personally I'm of the school of thought that believes it doesn't matter what the legs look like if the other bits aren't right. Shocked
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:18 pm

yeah Orwell, you are such a townie. No
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:51 am

The one on the rights hung like a cucumber Laughing
chris63
chris63
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:29 am

Did you say cucumber? Shocked
Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 10 Penis-cucumber

Don't even ask me about my potato patch....Embarassed
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:33 am

LMFHO, hahaha lol! lol! lol!
chris63
chris63
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:20 pm

I'm gonna slowly walk away and pretend that never saw this.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:48 pm

I had no idea you were in the novelty veg market Dave! What an interesting farm you must have!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:58 pm

you are scaring me Dave. Shocked with your mutant veggies. alien
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:31 pm

'Scientists in the US have created a free swimming artificial jellyfish.
The team members built the replica using silicone as a base on which to grow heart muscle cells that were harvested from rats.
They used an electric current to shock the Medusoid into swimming with synchronised contractions that mimic those of real jellyfish.
Because jellyfish use a muscle to pump their way through the water, the way they function - on a very basic level - is similar to that of a human heart.
The researchers say this makes the animal a good biological system for using as a study model in tissue engineering.
They used silicone to fashion a jellyfish-shaped body with eight arm-like appendages.
Next, they printed a pattern made of protein onto the "body" that resembled the muscle architecture of the real animal.
They grew the heart muscle cells on top, with the protein pattern serving as a road map for the growth and organisation of the rat tissue. This allowed them to turn the cells into a coherent swimming muscle.
When the researchers set the Medusoid free in a container of electrically conducting fluid, they shocked the Medusoid into swimming with synchronised contractions. The muscle cells even started to contract a bit on their own before the electrical current was applied.
"I'm pleasantly surprised at how close we are getting to matching the natural biological performance, but also that we're seeing ways in which we can probably improve on that natural performance. The process of evolution missed a lot of good solutions," said John Dabiri, professor of aeronautics and bioengineering at the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) in Pasadena.'- BBC

I find these two comments; 'The muscle cells even started to contract a bit on their own before the electrical current was applied.' and 'we're seeing ways in which we can probably improve on that natural performance. The process of evolution missed a lot of good solutions'- I find particularly intriguing.

And at which point when you mimic life using biological components are you creating life? And if we end up at the point where we create life does that mean, as we won't have built in a soul, that life doesnot require a soul? And therefore such a thing is unlikely to exist.
Or conversely if it proves impossible to create life does that mean its because we dont know how to make the 'soul' component?

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:20 pm

I bet there must be planets out there with silicon based lifeforms anyway. Is that the same thing? scratch er probably not the same as silicone? Shrugging

Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:26 am

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 10 56283310
chris63
chris63
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 10 Empty oddities

Post by leelee Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:50 am

chris63 wrote:Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 10 56283310
Oh dear, now i am crying and can't seem to stop. Sad
leelee
leelee
Free-est Spirit

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 25 ... 40  Next