https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEHWDA_6e3M&feature=player_embedded

Last edited by chris63 on Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
chris63
chris63
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Future releases - Page 7 Empty Re: Future releases

Post by Eldorion Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:44 pm

Delete the part at the end the end that says "&feature=player_embedded". Sometimes this bit of code will appear at a different point in the URL, but the basic goal is to remove everything except "?v=TEHWDA_6e3M". Wink

Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:24 am

Promo thingy for Prometheus- made for the film but not from the film.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:10 am

I want to see Brave so baaaad!! I think it'll be great! Very Happy
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:12 pm

chris63
chris63
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Kafria Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:05 pm

Hunger Games on Friday! Very Happy

'A novel is a long piece of prose with ,in the eyes of the author at least, something wrong with it - Neil Gaiman, intro to American gods
Kafria
Kafria
Lady of Dale

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:25 pm

Kafria wrote:Hunger Games on Friday! Very Happy

YEY!! ME TOO! Very Happy Very Happy bounce can't bloody wait!
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:11 pm

Anyone else here seen The Hunger Games yet? I wouldn't describe myself as a fan, but my mom and I were both curious about all the hype so we went to a noon showing and missed most of the crowds. I decided to try something I've wanted to do for a long time and wrote a short review (some spoilers) of the film to indulge myself and try my hand at writing something different. Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:25 pm

I haven't read the book or seen the film Eldo, however I did read your review- is that not the plot from the Running Man? Suspect
I have however been following this film on Fox News of all places, as its quite funny. They seem to have a rather schizophrenic attitude to it, being unsure whether they should take the moral high ground and condemn it for violent content, or praise it for attacking big government. Very entertaining.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:56 pm

Yeah, it's basically The Running Man by way of Battle Royale. I did enjoy reading the book, but it wasn't at all hard to tell where it was going.

I've never entirely understood why this book was marketed towards children. The author has written children's/Young Adult books before, but it's pretty dark stuff. Maybe it's a positive sign that people realize kids can handle that. Shrugging
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:00 pm

I'm actually more interested in seeing how the film pans out at the box office. With Star Wars and LOTR done for years (though obviously we'll have The Hobbit soon) Harry Potter and Twilight had taken up the standard as the big, SF blockbuster franchises. Narnia tried to join them, but after the first movie it nosedived since the first Narnia book is the only one that's widely known. Now that HP is over and Twilight is about to end as well, studios are fishing for the replacement. Lionsgate, the studio behind The Hunger Games, has pretty much staked their company on the success of this movie. It looks like it will pay off, but I can't wait to see for sure one way or another.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:24 am

I saw the movie today AND LOVED IT!!!! blabla... I'll read your review tomorrow Eldo Wink too tired Very Happy but yeah, on the poster it said "are you ready for the next big thing?" (or something like that)
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:12 am

Having grown up watching films like Logans Run and reading books like 1984- any film in this genre is going to have to be mighty impressive to impress me.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Kafria Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:09 pm

Saw the film last night an I have to say it hit me as hard as the books did (the opening had me in tears), in the same places. That said I do agree Eldo that it is good, but not great.

One of the problems for me with the film was the clear setup for things in the next two flms to come. Cuts were made where they needed to be, but other things that were added seemed to be more to do with set up for later films than telling this books tale.

The biggest problem for me is this was always going to be an anticlimactic film, the book is the same. But whereas the book manages to give you that feeling of disquiet the film just fizzles. In large part it is due to making the violence acceptable to the 12a certificate (I agree about the end of the arena change pulling the guts out of that scenes true horror).

Having said that, I did enjoy it Very Happy

Petty, it is a return to some classic ideas, it is well done, if not brilliantly done. The funny thing, if you follow any of the hype is the B£%$fights between detractors ('it's a rip off of xyz!') and the superfans ('she's never read x y z and we should believe her) as if all fiction has to be truely original or it is worth nothing, or there may be damage in suggesting other things inspire authors! kids Rolling Eyes

(Boy I sound ancient!)

'A novel is a long piece of prose with ,in the eyes of the author at least, something wrong with it - Neil Gaiman, intro to American gods
Kafria
Kafria
Lady of Dale

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:31 pm

Well they do say there is nothing original left- and that's fine. Its now how original a thing but what you do with it- the more relevant question I suppose when you are talking about something covering an area that already has a few classics in its field, is it any better or worse than those? Is it adding something to it or just retelling it for a new generation?

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:10 pm

Kafria wrote:The biggest problem for me is this was always going to be an anticlimactic film, the book is the same. But whereas the book manages to give you that feeling of disquiet the film just fizzles. In large part it is due to making the violence acceptable to the 12a certificate (I agree about the end of the arena change pulling the guts out of that scenes true horror).

I think you're spot on. The book is short and breezy but still suspenseful enough and I didn't get that in the movie. I suppose part of that is that the source material doesn't seem to lend itself to exciting re-reads once you know how it ends (I haven't re-read it myself though), but the cuts definitely effected it. Apparently, UK folks got an even more cut down version than the US though. The original, US cut of the film got a 15 from the BBFC, but they reduced that to a 12A by making seven seconds worth of cuts/changes over four scenes. Not sure how that works but oh well. The US version was tame enough as it is.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/03/the-hunger-games-gets-slight-tweaks-in-u-k-to-secure-teen-friendly-12a-rating/

Also, I wanted to see Battle Royale before HG but I didn't get around to it. Hopefully I'll be able to watch it tonight for an interesting contrast. Cool
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Semiramis Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:27 pm

I've seen it on Saturday and I've got to say: Wow!
It was brilliant, for it mostly kept to the book. Very Happy
Besides I liked some of the things that were different to the book - like the conversations between Snow and Crane - very much!

But I wondered the whole time, why they'd bothered to make a Soundtrack CD (with Arcade Fire, Glen Hansard etc....). I didn't hear any of those songs in the film.... Question Yeah, three of them were in the end credits, but no more...
No matter, the score by Jemas Newton Howard was great sometimes - especially when the tributes were introduced to the crowd on the chariots.
But there was a real lack of feeling at Rue's death scene.... I expected more of him for that occasion.... Neutral

Well, but I can't wait to see the second film! Very Happy

Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:55 am

chris63
chris63
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:30 am

I saw the full trailer for that a few days ago and it looks far better than it has any right to. Razz I initially thought that a 'darker and grittier' Snow White sounded like a dumb idea but it looks like it could turn out pretty cool. I just hope the movie is actually as good as the trailer. It's much easier to whip up a slick 2:30 ad than it is to keep that level of quality going over a two hour movie.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:51 am

Semiramis wrote:I've seen it on Saturday and I've got to say: Wow!
It was brilliant, for it mostly kept to the book. Very Happy
Besides I liked some of the things that were different to the book - like the conversations between Snow and Crane - very much!

But I wondered the whole time, why they'd bothered to make a Soundtrack CD (with Arcade Fire, Glen Hansard etc....). I didn't hear any of those songs in the film.... Question Yeah, three of them were in the end credits, but no more...
No matter, the score by Jemas Newton Howard was great sometimes - especially when the tributes were introduced to the crowd on the chariots.
But there was a real lack of feeling at Rue's death scene.... I expected more of him for that occasion.... Neutral

Well, but I can't wait to see the second film! Very Happy

Havnt seen the film or read the book, but Rue's death scene means a main caracter gets killed. Not sure i wanted to no that.
chris63
chris63
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:59 am

Hope the films better then the trailer ?
chris63
chris63
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:51 pm

When I heard about this dark snow white movie I was like WHOOOT!! (I had also heard rumors that our lovely Viggo would be in it O_O) and Kristen Stewart? meeeeh... dunno. BUT! after seeing the trailer, I am kind of looking forward to it. Not expecting too much really, I felt the trailer may have revealed too much (like the mirror thingi, I would have saved that bit) but I want to see it. Though, I must say, I rather want to see that other snow white movie, Mirror Mirror. It looked funny xD

Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:33 pm

Looking forward to seeing this. I was on my second watch of the trailer before I twigged it wasn't cgi but Aardmans traditional stop-motion- its that good- they must surely be the best left doing this style of animation- and I am very glad they are!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 23 ... 40  Next