Mrs Figg
Pettytyrant101
Forest Shepherd
halfwise
chris63
12 posters

Page 9 of 22 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15 ... 22  Next

Go down

Amazon, Warner Bros in Talks for LOTR Series Adaptation: Variety - Page 9 Empty Re: Amazon, Warner Bros in Talks for LOTR Series Adaptation: Variety

Post by halfwise Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:42 pm

Continuing my previous thought, Tolkien hasn't yet gone the way of Shakespeare, people aren't ready to read universalist themes into his work on a wholesale basis, ditching the cultural context.

Lance makes a good point about Africans etc having good stories to tell (the series African Civilizations by Henry Louis Gates is truly eye-opening - I vote for a flim about Mali's Mansa Musa), but I'm afraid what's driving this is money. There's fear of a lack of interest among those who have money to spend. I think we'll get there, but it will take time. Black Panther showed there's an audience, now it has to be expanded into true history. Asian culture has already made tremendous inroads into world film.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Amazon, Warner Bros in Talks for LOTR Series Adaptation: Variety - Page 9 Empty Re: Amazon, Warner Bros in Talks for LOTR Series Adaptation: Variety

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:23 pm

I think placing Black and other races into Western white stories is basically lazy, its easier to plonk a Black actor in a story than make a new African/Black story come to life. Its an easy and lazy way to show their woke diverse credentials. Its much harder to tell African stories because quite frankly, we don't live in Africa, and in the UK its about 20% of the population who would be interested. As for Black Panther I thought that must surely have been a parody it was so ridiculously racially stereotypical.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:26 am

We don't live in Africa, but that doesn't mean there aren't interesting stories to tell. Most people have heard of Shaka Zulu for example. Or maybe something to do with the Songhay Empire?

I am sure Disney could have an African princess film to starting bringing some of the culture and mythology to life.

There have been plenty of wars down there... plenty involving the west that could be the jumping off point.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:38 am

Tolkien hasn't yet gone the way of Shakespeare,- Halfy

{{ Shakepseare hasnt for me either, not at least when they choose to set in the actual historic period and setting. As my review of the latest Macbeth with Denzil said it totally took me out the film having a soft spoken black American as Macbeth and a bunch of yanks chanting "Hail King of Scotland" at him. When I should have been immersed in the narrative I was instead wiping tears of laughter from my face. }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:24 pm

A image of a very young John Wayne as Romeo just flashed into my mind. "get off your balcony and drink your milk".
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:41 am

https://www.instagram.com/lotronprime/

Some posters here from the series.

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:53 am

I don't instagram. I hope they post them somewhere else.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:10 pm

I don't Instagram either.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:14 pm

There all over Twitter. Still don't no how to send pictures on my phone. Saying that I'm not on instagram either. Just pressed the link.

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:48 pm

https://collider.com/lord-of-the-rings-the-rings-of-power-character-posters-prime-video/

Try here.

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:56 pm

This is a better way to see them.

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:55 pm

Thanks Chris. You must have signed up on instagram years ago, because it won't let me in.

Those are all costume shots, and I have to say they look fabulous. I wonder who the dude is with the gold plated fingers?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:51 pm

Those costumes are amazeballs. Shocked I bet there is an Elven Queen in there with the armour and golden sword. if everything is as good as the costumes its looking interesting indeed.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:36 pm

Well, the Hobbit looked amazing too...

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:49 pm

I didn't like the way it looked, I found it boring. I also hated the costumes of The Hobbit. The Dwarves were horrible.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:44 pm

Yeah, the dwarves were bad, but if you took selected shots of things, it looked good. I liked Laketown, I liked Dale. Mirkwood looked good. The elves looked good when they weren't doing super mario stunts.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:07 pm

This current LoTRs costumes look more GoTs, lots of weathering and dirty nails. I am hoping the dude with the apple is Tom Bombadil.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:12 pm

Actually LotR pioneered dirty nails for fantasy good guys. GoT owed so much to the trail that PJ blazed. Despite all the PJ bashing on here he did an amazing job redefining the genre for film.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:13 am

{{ Here's all the posters. In spoilers purely so they dont take up ton of room to scroll on phone and stuff.
Spoiler:

9 for men, 7 for dwarves, and 3 for elves. 19 rings, 19 posters. So let the guessing as to who is who begin! (I think we can exclude Sauron, dont think he is here as if you include the One should be 20 posters).}}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:25 pm

I don't see rings on all the fingers, and those that look female don't necessarily look elvish to me. Those with gold on their fingers have dress that may line up with dwarvish. It's a good catch that there's 19 posters though I have a hard time lining them up.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:21 pm

Is that an Oaken Shield? as in Thorin? my timing might be way off though. You can tell there are Hobbits because the acorns and fruit are large in their 'smaller' hands. Who is the chick with the flower? cant tell if its meant to be somebody from a warmer climate. There is defo a man from Rohan with the white horse sword, and the man with the rope could be a sailor. Number one is a Dwarf obvs, some of them are very intriguing.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:58 pm

If Petty's surmise is right then we'd have hobbits with rings. Wouldn't that just set off the crabbit meter!

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:26 pm

Well there are 23 in total: https://www.theonering.net/torwp/2022/02/03/111905-exclusive-all-23-lotr-the-rings-of-power-posters-now-with-hi-res-extended-versions/

I'm reading through some of the tOR.N's discord discussion about the images. It's such a joke when people latch on to some newly-familiar phrase like it's both really cool and also makes perfect sense. The word of the day is "Harfoot". Oh! the Harfoots will be there, oh! the Harfoots will be here. Yes the Harfoots are going to be so interesting and cool! Huh I wonder where we'll see the Harfoots first? Hey did you know that the Harfoots were like this and looked that way and it totally makes sense!
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:29 pm

Here's what's most annoying about it: the cloying of their personalities to the newest thing coming down the pipeline. Oh wow Harfoots are so neat. They're totally like the new hobbits now! Huh I wonder if Sam is a Harfoot???!?

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:36 pm

{{ If there are 23 then site I got them from was a few short, which would pyay to any colloration between number of characters shown and number of rings. Though I do wonder if they were all released at once, or if the the lot I posted were released as 19 first on their own?

And not to worry Forest- thats whats good about Forumshire- Amazon are going to have prove their worth to tackle Tolkien here by what they do and how they do it. No amount of marketing, buzzwords, or twitter feeds will make the slightest dent in the crabbit here! They either come up with the goods and produce something that respects Tolkien's work, world and languages, and that keeps in line with Tolkien's presentation of things, or they will get ripped a new arse on here Twisted Evil }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 22 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15 ... 22  Next