Pettytyrant101
halfwise
azriel
11 posters

Page 25 of 25 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 23, 24, 25

Go down

Television programmes [2] - Page 25 Empty Re: Television programmes [2]

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:03 am

{{ Finished the Fallout series. It rounds up enough to be satisfying whilst leaving plenty threads for a season 2, which I hope it gets and given the generally positive reception its received from fans I hope it does get a second series. It's not brilliant or the greatest tv ever made, but its damn good, and entertaining and the disparate threads all come together nicely by the end. Recommended. }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:14 am

{{ Seems the Fallout TV show is not just proving a hit for Amazon, it's also quadrupled the number of people playing the games! Now that's a successful business partnership.
I'm playing myself, though I'd started replaying before the show aired, but it certainly made me want to play more, it captures the feel and world of the games so well. Also, if you have VR, Fallout 4 VR with just a handful of mods to spruce things up is a ton of fun. Though compared to wandering the mountains, valleys and lush forests of Skyrim, wandering the wastelands and post-apocalypse ruins of the Commonwealth for hours on end can be somewhat depressing. Though it does have odd moments of destroyed beauty.}}

Spoiler:

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:12 pm

It seems we would have seen Ringworld years ago, except that its development by Amazon was stalled due to RoP. But given how they absolutely butchered Ring of Power I sort of don't want them touching Ringworld. I only trust HBO with this type of material.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:57 pm

{{ As far as Amazon goes I think Fallout is the first adaptation of theirs I've seen that's actually genuinely good, true to the source and not fighting or hating the source it's drawn from. Everything about the games; the juxtaposition of real tragedy and emotion alongside absurdist satire and ridiculous, almost comical levels of over-the-top violence is translated intact. I'm not sure if they did the Last Of Us, or was that HBO? but it's the only other recent adaptation I can think of that got good reactions. And the Last of Us, even as a game is designed like a film anyway. Fallout was a much harder proposition to adapt as it in no way naturally lends itself to either linear storytelling nor cinematic narrative construction.
All the book to screen attempts of late have been utterly dire sadly. Seemingly made by people who hate the very thing they are adapting and only seem to be doing so in order to reshape it and rewrite it in their own likeness and to their own liking. }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:09 am

{{ I've been thinking about why the Fallout TV show works as an adaptation and oddly enough I think it comes down to one key choice they made- not to adapt it.
This might seem odd but its actually perfect for Fallout. The TV show is not based on any Fallout game, it does not share a setting with any Fallout game, none of the main characters have ever appeared in a Fallout game, yet it's a perfect adaption of a Fallout game.
So how can that work? How can you adapt something successfully by not adapting it at all?
Well in part it's down to the games themselves; the bombs fell in 2077, Fallout 1 is set in 2161 in southern California. Fallout 2 you play as a descendant of the first games main character and it's set in 2241. Fallout 3 takes place in 2277 in Washington DC with an all new main character, Fallout New Vegas takes place in around Las Vegas again with a new cast of characters, Fallout 4 is set in 2287 in and around the Boston area, also all new cast and Fallout 76 is set earlier than all the others in 2102 in West Virginia, and again features none of the previous games characters or stories.
Every game has a different part of the US post apocalypse, a different cast of characters, and introduces completely new story elements and plots.
So when it came to adapting the game, the games lead Todd Howard told them, 'don't adapt any of the existing games, do it like we would approach making a new game'. In other-words take the history of the Fallout world, its setting, its lore, its products and aesthetic, all the stuff that makes the world of Fallout, Fallout, but make your own story to set in it.
As a result, we have a tale set in 2296 (after all the games by a few years), a new Vault and a new main character and a new cast of characters. All the games factions and groups are present, but moved on from when last seen in the games, some groups have got bigger and stronger (Brotherhood of Steel, while others like the New California Republic have got weaker) and the places the story visits are all in the Fallout mood and style, but are all new locations, just as the player in a new game of Fallout would discover new places.

This approach has given the writers the best of both worlds - they have a fully fleshed out world and setting, but no need to stick to any pre-written plot or characters or have to change them to suit what they want the TV show plot to do. Instead, they can write whatever they want, so long as it fits into the world.
And that is the show's key to success. It feels just like another Fallout game precisely because it's not adapting any Fallout game, it's doing what the games themselves do when a new one comes out - new locations, new characters, new plot, same world. In this way it gets away with feeling utterly genuinely Fallout yet without having to worry about changing or altering anything pre-existing that might upset fans.
It was a very smart decision. }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:00 am

{{ No one else given Fallout a go yet? I am rather curious to what someone with little to no game knowledge would make of it and if it holds up shorn of its context.}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:43 pm

I've just finished the last of Killing Eve, want to finish up with the Three Body Problem before I move on to something else. Started Black Sails but am somewhat disenchanted with it, so might give Fallout a look in the near future.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:52 pm

{{ I thought Chris might have given it a shot, he always seems pretty quick on any new hit streaming stuff. You not given it a go yet Chris?}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 25 of 25 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 23, 24, 25