malickfan
17 posters

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next

Go down

Television programmes [2] Empty Television programmes [2]

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:23 pm

Continued from: http://www.hobbitmovieforum.com/t55p990-television-programmes

----------

he is obviously an egotist but that's why people like him and think he is funny, he is the last bastion of un-political correctness, like the ''cheese-eating surrender monkey'' thing.  I think the producer probably dropped the ball big time and got a damn good bollocking. He must have known after filming for hours that Clarkson would want a decent hot meal at night, he should know what is expected. I can imagine Clarkson liking to be well fed, and er..watered. It got a bit handbags and someone got punched, hardly the end of the world. The BBC pay him to be a bit laddish and plain spoken, that's what he does, what did they expect?
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Television programmes [2] Empty Re: Television programmes [2]

Post by malickfan Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:50 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:he is obviously an egotist but that's why people like him and think he is funny, he is the last bastion of un-political correctness, like the ''cheese-eating surrender monkey'' thingHe's a Nob, but he's a very enteraining one, TG was pretty much the only thing I watch on BBC at the moment, they are going to be kicking themselves when they loose all that income....  I think the producer probably dropped the ball big time and got a damn good bollocking. He must have known after filming for hours that Clarkson would want a decent hot meal at night, he should know what is expectedTrue, but it's not his fault Clarkson and co decided to get drunk instead. I can imagine Clarkson liking to be well fed, and er..watered. It got a bit handbags and someone got punched, hardly the end of the worldAgain I agree...I can't help but wonder whether the producer should have punched him back.... The BBC pay him to be a bit laddish and plain spoken, that's what he does, what did they expect?That's probably the issue, the BBC is very left wing leaning, and the higher ups are probably fed up defending Clarkson's buffonery. An assuault isn't that serious, but it is still and assault, Clarkson got too big for his boots, he knew he was on his last chance, and deserved it

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:37 pm

yep he has done it to himself and I think over the years he must have stored up a lot of people with grudges just itching to get revenge, and now they have.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:29 am

Mrs Figg wrote: he is the last bastion of un-political correctness, like the ''cheese-eating surrender monkey'' thing.

I agree about Clarkson. I just want to make sure The Simpsons  gets proper credit for the quotation: study

Wikipedia wrote:The term "cheese-eating surrender monkeys" first appeared in "'Round Springfield," a 1995 episode of the American animated television show The Simpsons.

In the episode, budget cuts at Springfield Elementary School force the Scottish janitor, Groundskeeper Willie, to teach French. Expressing his disdain for the French people, he says to his French class in his Scottish accent: "Bonjoooouuurrr, ya cheese-eatin' surrender monkeys!"

On the audio commentary for the episode, executive producer Al Jean said the line was "probably" written by The Simpsons staff writer Ken Keeler. Keeler confirmed this in an interview in 2012 and stated that he considers it to be his best contribution to the show.

Jean commented that the staff did not expect the term to become widely used and never intended it as any kind of genuine political statement.

When "'Round Springfield" was dubbed in French, the line became "Rendez-vous, singes mangeurs de fromage" ("Surrender, you cheese-eating monkeys")
[/quote]

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:33 pm

"Rendez-vous, singes mangeurs de fromage"

Laughing
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:35 pm

Sounds better in French Very Happy No wonder they call it a Romantic language Laughing

Television programmes [2] Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Television programmes [2] Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:38 pm

I always liked..

"There has always been a tradition to label nationalities for the food they eat, as such the french are frogs, the english are roast beef, and the americans are fat."

Sofa

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:12 am

So I've started watching the original set of Star Trek shows, something which I haven't done for decades. There's a nice bonus on the first disc: documentation of the restoration.

It's fun to see the reverence the restorers have for the material; and the results they produced. It looks gorgeous, and the colors pop. They redid the special effects, for in many cases the Enterprise is quite evidently on strings - so they did a loving CG restoration of all the shots, occasionally adding extra but subtle detail so as to stay true to the original intentions.

They re-recorded the theme music, off of the original score and with original instrumentation. As much as possible they used musicians from the TNG studio orchestra, to keep as much continuity with the original team as the overlap between old and new Star Trek can allow. The conductor referred to the music as sacred material.

All this love shows, and it's a good feeling that somebody cared enough to do this Herculean task. If you haven't seen the original Star Trek since the last century, I highly recommend watching this restoration.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:46 am

halfwise wrote:So I've started watching the original set of Star Trek shows, something which I haven't done for decades.  There's a nice bonus on the first disc: documentation of the restoration.

It's fun to see the reverence the restorers have for the material; and the results they produced.  It looks gorgeous, and the colors pop.  They redid the special effects, for in many cases the Enterprise is quite evidently on strings - so they did a loving CG restoration of all the shots, occasionally adding extra but subtle detail so as to stay true to the original intentions.

They re-recorded the theme music, off of the original score and with original instrumentation.  As much as possible they used musicians from the TNG studio orchestra, to keep as much continuity with the original team as the overlap between old and new Star Trek can allow.  The conductor referred to the music as sacred material.

All this love shows, and it's a good feeling that somebody cared enough to do this Herculean task.  If you haven't seen the original Star Trek since the last century, I highly recommend watching this restoration.

This is something I had been wondering while watching through TOS. Wasn't sure if the special effects of the ship were redone because they looked way too good to be from the mid 60s. The new effects look great, though.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:42 pm

I always loved Star Trek Very Happy I cant get over how beautiful Shatner was as a young man.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:26 pm

If you haven't seen then since 2008, I strongly suggest you get the remastered edition. He'll look even more gorgeous. And in the second and third episode he spends some time with his shirt off. cyclops

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:52 pm

I thought the remastering work on those was superb. They didnt overdo anything, they didnt give it any modern aesthetic, they did cgi shots of the original models, so it all looks and feels right still, nothing jars or distracts, its just very well done.

They have also been doing similar quality work on Next Generation episodes (I think they are about halfway through them)

I have no problem with this sort of revision (although I feel the original should be available if you want to watch it instead) when its done so well and sympathetically to the original art design. They dont change anything, or had massive new cgi action sequences in there that were not present in the original, they just polish, and tweak what was there.

I actually wish the BBC would do something similar with Classic Who.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:15 pm

halfwise wrote:If you haven't seen then since 2008, I strongly suggest you get the remastered edition.  He'll look even more gorgeous.  And in the second and third episode he spends some time with his shirt off. cyclops

oooh I say! cyclops
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:02 am

I like this show. They really believe theres a bigfoot out there.

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun May 10, 2015 7:39 pm

Tv channel Dave has announced they re making more Red Dwarf series X1 and X11 are on the way.
To celebrate heres a silly song-

and some classic clips to enjoy from the previous 10 years of the Dwarfers-

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun May 10, 2015 9:03 pm

I never saw much of Red Dwarf, but I quite liked Craig Fergusons appearance on it. Razz

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun May 10, 2015 9:20 pm

I think you'd enjoy it Blue.

Heres the very first episode, its quite rough, and its very cheaply made, but also got some great moments that promised the good stuff that was to come-

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun May 10, 2015 9:31 pm

I think I saw some of it a long time ago and thought it a bit weird, Razz but I should probably give it a proper go at some point.

Internet's a bit slow at the moment, but might give it a go later. Smile

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon May 11, 2015 1:49 pm

Heres a classic episode and a favourite of mine- Queeg from series 2.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon May 11, 2015 10:24 pm

Red Dwarf...yet another popular TV show I haven't watched...

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon May 11, 2015 10:34 pm

Now's is your chance Malick Nod

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon May 11, 2015 10:36 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Now's is your chance Malick Nod

Not on this crappy data package it isn't.

Dave will probably do re-runs at some point I guess.

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon May 11, 2015 10:41 pm

Probably doing them right now- they usually have some Dwarf on, and with them starting to make the next two series I expect they will rerun the whole lot.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun May 17, 2015 3:33 am

One of the stations here is broadcasting a marathon of the original The Twilight Zone. For some reason I had never realized just how brilliant it is. We're told this all the time, and I've seen it before, but somehow it's hitting me just right and I'm awe struck. Maybe because I have work to do I'm trying to avoid.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun May 17, 2015 4:48 am

Yep, Halfy, we're getting the same channel here, "Decades." They've been marathon-ing lots of different series since the start of the year in anticipation of their regular programming that will begin in June, I think. Got to see some great episodes of The Man From U.N.C.L.E, Mission Impossible, and Kung Fu.

The Twilight Zone is one of my all time favorite shows, loved it since I watched a New Year's Day marathon on the Sci Fi channel at my grandparents house back when I was a kid. Lots of great episodes, but a few stinkers as well. I have the complete series on DVD, and I've seen every episode at least twice.

There are some episodes that I wish I could experience for the first time. I specifically remember my dad spoiling the ending of Eye of the Beholder when I was a kid, so I always knew what was going to happen when the doctors took off the woman's bandages. Razz

I think my favorite episodes are the ones scored by Bernard Herrmann: Where is Everybody?, The Lonely, Eye of the Beholder, Living Doll, 90 Years Without Slumbering, Little Girl Lost, and Walking Distance. All solid episodes with great musical scores. Then there are the classics that everyone likes: Monsters are Due on Maple Street, Time Enough at Last, Nightmare at 20,000 Feet, etc.

Lots of great writing from Serling, Matheson, and Beaumont (especially in season 1); but you can definitely see a decline in quality from there on. It's not that most of the episodes are "bad," it's just that they were never able to recapture the creative energy that was so apparent in most of season 1.

I really love this show, and I like talking about it, and it's nice to see someone else here express interest in it.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next