We're all doomed! Doomed I say- the Corona virus thread for panicking in!

+11
chris63
Mirabella
odo banks
Orwell
malickfan
Forest Shepherd
Mrs Figg
David H
azriel
halfwise
Amarië
15 posters

Page 12 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next

Go down

We're all doomed! Doomed I say- the Corona virus thread for panicking in! - Page 12 Empty Re: We're all doomed! Doomed I say- the Corona virus thread for panicking in!

Post by halfwise Sun May 03, 2020 3:12 am

Yep, the main problem right now is the people in the middle classes are ending up paying more for insurance due to the pressure from Obamacare insuring the less fortunate. It needs to be fixed, but too many Republicans have Obama derangement syndrome to work on it.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

We're all doomed! Doomed I say- the Corona virus thread for panicking in! - Page 12 Empty Re: We're all doomed! Doomed I say- the Corona virus thread for panicking in!

Post by halfwise Sun May 03, 2020 3:40 pm

So 32 of the states are opening up social distancing, but only half of them have met the trend of a 2-week decline. Many of them do indeed have plenty of hospital capacity, but this will still cause an upswing.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sun May 03, 2020 4:07 pm

halfwise wrote:So 32 of the states are opening up social distancing, but only half of them have met the trend of a 2-week decline.

What's your source Halfy? a link would be appreciated. I need to watch this. Each state will be different.

In news from home- "Officials in Washington issued 10 poaching charges between March 25 and April 26, more than three times the number handed out during the same period a year ago, the state’s fish and wildlife department reported. " https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-hunting/americans-turn-to-hunting-for-food-renewal-during-pandemic-idUSKBN22F0G4
And I can pretty much guarantee those 10 guys are all amateurs, just trying to feed their families. Good hunters aren't caught easily, especially with enforcement in lock-down.
No judgement here. You gotta do what you gotta do when your family is hungry, and not much federal assistance makes it out into rural areas.

We're all doomed! Doomed I say- the Corona virus thread for panicking in! - Page 12 1280px-Male_kodiak_bear_face  We're all doomed! Doomed I say- the Corona virus thread for panicking in! - Page 12 UJpDi We're all doomed! Doomed I say- the Corona virus thread for panicking in! - Page 12 Mumbea10
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun May 03, 2020 4:17 pm

Not sure which statement you want sources on, so here's the map of states doing some reopening:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/states-reopen-map-coronavirus.html

Though I only count 24, not the 32 I heard on news.

You can check the trends here: https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america

My statement was based on national news, but the number I see looks a bit different. However I know the map isn't completely correct: PA is opening very soon, and NJ has opened parks. So it comes down to what is considered "opening".

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sun May 03, 2020 4:53 pm

Thanks, that's not a bad map I think, and 24 sounds more reasonable to me. One thing the models will have a really hard time capturing is the different cultures form state to state. For example Utah is on the map as partial reopening, but I think that LDS Church policies are actually a bigger influence than Utah state policy in this case, and I understand they're still holding their members to a pretty high standard.

We're all doomed! Doomed I say- the Corona virus thread for panicking in! - Page 12 1280px-Male_kodiak_bear_face  We're all doomed! Doomed I say- the Corona virus thread for panicking in! - Page 12 UJpDi We're all doomed! Doomed I say- the Corona virus thread for panicking in! - Page 12 Mumbea10
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun May 03, 2020 5:00 pm

Yep, and the statewide control doesn't take into account the HUGE difference between transmission rates in a dense city and the country. I think this is where some of the antagonism is coming from.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon May 04, 2020 4:03 pm

it looks like the Italians may, and its a big may, have found the first hopeful signs of a vaccie. There is a company called Takis in conjunction with an American company who have found anticorpi which block the virus in rats, and they will be doing tests on humans in September. looks promising. cant fins stuff in English.

https://www.lastampa.it/2020/05/04/news/covid-il-vaccino-italiano-funziona-gli-anticorpi-bloccano-il-virus-1.38801951

http://www.labozeta.it/comunicati-stampa/takis-ed-evvivax-insieme-per-sviluppare-un-vaccino-contro-il-coronavirus/

https://it.sputniknews.com/scienza-e-tech/202005049048380-vaccino-italiano-in-fase-sperimentale-blocca-il-virus/
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon May 04, 2020 5:46 pm

From what I can get the jist of, it looks hopeful, at least someone is making some progress. I feel sorry for the rats ? Are they forced to have breathing problems ? I guess so or you wont know what works or doesn't. My son is adamant he wont take a vaccine, Im sure I will. He doesn't like the idea of poison in his body, as long as I don't grow a 3rd arm during the night Im ok with it Smile

We're all doomed! Doomed I say- the Corona virus thread for panicking in! - Page 12 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

We're all doomed! Doomed I say- the Corona virus thread for panicking in! - Page 12 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon May 04, 2020 5:48 pm

I've seen rumors of that.  Also most big foundations are starting to ramp up production on candidate vaccines before they even know if it works, so that if it DOES work it's already ready to go.  Cuts something like 6 months off the process.

Az - is your son generally an anti-vaccer?  I can see this for mild things like the flu, but this is different. And vaccines aren't poison; they're a training system not unlike target practice.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon May 04, 2020 6:46 pm

yep Halfy I agree, without vaccines we would be all dying of smallpox. vaccines are not poison they simply train your body to recognise the pathogen and fight it off. Anti-vaxxers are little more than flat-earthers.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon May 04, 2020 8:20 pm

Sadly I cant persuade my son to think otherwise, but, I wouldn't be surprised if its compulsory, that is when the vaccine is up & ready. First to get the jab might be elderly & sick first ? Im thinking medical staff should be one of the first as they are needed to look after us. Once a viable vaccine is out everyone will be clamouring for it.

We're all doomed! Doomed I say- the Corona virus thread for panicking in! - Page 12 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

We're all doomed! Doomed I say- the Corona virus thread for panicking in! - Page 12 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon May 04, 2020 8:39 pm

I'd hope everyone would be clamoring for it. I'd think most governments can only make it compulsory for certain jobs, but if there's a groundswell of popular opinion saying it's the right thing to do then we'll largely get this bugger stamped out. Will probably need to be vaccinated every year for a good long while.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue May 05, 2020 12:10 am

A vaccine is the only way we can get back to normal, and if we have to have the jab every year, so be it, its not a problem.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue May 05, 2020 1:02 pm

Well, the US is the only country which is projected to have another upswing in cases, and it's because Trump is letting his conditions expire and not taking action against states which don't pass the "gating requirements" to open up. In other words, lack of leadership from the top.

New York State is forecast to continue our decline in cases, but it's because we've got a governor who has strongly taken the reins, and a population in the largest city that understands the danger first hand and is acting accordingly.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Wed May 06, 2020 9:31 am

halfwise wrote:Well, the US is the only country which is projected to have another upswing in cases, and it's because Trump is letting his conditions expire and not taking action against states which don't pass the "gating requirements" to open up.  In other words, lack of leadership from the top.

New York State is forecast to continue our decline in cases, but it's because we've got a governor who has strongly taken the reins, and a population in the largest city that understands the danger first hand  and is acting accordingly.

I am an Andrew Cuomo fanboy. Of all the briefings around the world I watch, his is the most professional. I want to have his babies but at 61, I am a bit old, and my wife tells me I have other limiting factors too. Sad.

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed May 06, 2020 4:35 pm

Wow, I'm glad his broadcasts are getting around. It's a bravura performance each time - as a teacher I stand in awe of his communication skills. And he's taken the time to ensure he knows exactly what he's talking about, bluntly stating the limits of his knowledge when he can't answer a question. The contrast between him and Trump is like whipsawing between dream and nightmare of what a politician can be.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri May 08, 2020 7:42 pm

Only slightly more than 50% of Americans say they would definitely get vaccinated if one is produced. Rolling Eyes This won't be over any time soon even if the biological miracle occurs. Banghead

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Fri May 08, 2020 10:53 pm

I paid for a private Covid antibody test since I am not eligible to get an actual covid test yet.

Currently in week 7 of feeling like shit!

Seems like people are just starting to work out that there are a significant portion of people who get symptoms in between the "mild" and needing hospital but are not getting any better.

2 days back I almost felt like new, today I feel like shit again. Oxygen levela remain good (beware of silent hypoxia!!) and never had a fever. Am lacking in energy and get exhausted quickly. Also lots of pain in chest (lungs and central area) and upper back.

Have been checked for things like blood clots or heart problems but no answer yet. Just have to hope that each good is better and each bad is less worse as time goes on. Also that there are no lasting problems once my body gets control over itself again!

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/health-52548843?__twitter_impression=true

Stay safe everyone!
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri May 08, 2020 11:39 pm

How long until your test results come back?

Hope you get better!

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat May 09, 2020 8:19 am

{{ Thinking of you Lance, hope youre shot of it soon and no lasting effects.

Well its offical for my job, I dont have one. Well strictly speaking I won't have one as of the 11th, company has gone under and the hotel is being closed. So given current situation and employment opportunities not being abundant, it looks like Im unemployed until at least the end of the lockdown, probably at best a month away still. }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat May 09, 2020 1:57 pm

Best wishes Lance ! I hope the news is hopeful. Its bad enough when an ordinary Bug seems to drag on & on.
I was wondering what will be open & what will be gone forever when this virus has done its course & we can get the green light ? Sorry to hear your job has gone skew-wiff Petty.

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat May 09, 2020 5:14 pm

I hate 2020 with every fibre of my being. It has been absolute shit for 5 months and counting.

I hope your body starts to fight off these symptoms Lance, it looks like it is swings and roundabouts for a lot of people with some odd symptoms like loss of taste and smell just being two of them.

Sorry to hear about your job Petty, but looking on the bright side, if there is one in these crappy times, at least you are not working in a care home where the risks to your health would have been a lot higher than staying at home. The tourist and hotel industry is taking the biggest hammering everywhere, it is a terrible shame for family run hotels with no savings to fall back on.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Sat May 09, 2020 7:32 pm

Halfy - should be back some time this week... hopefully just a couple of days.

Petty - Sad news. Hopefully you are getting the support you need for the essentials should you need any!

Thanks Az and Figgy. Sure I will get through it... just demoralising that there is significant improvement only to be knocked back 5 steps repeatedly!

I actually had a good start to the year but this situation had out a stop to a lot of things we were looking forward to and a lot strain on some personal relationships going on. Will all get through it though.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat May 09, 2020 8:43 pm

Lance, it will be worse for you as you are only 35 and probably used to amazing good health for the majority of the time, and I realise It must be annoying though not to be able to bounce back immediately, just have patience and I am sure you will soon be ok. Surprised
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat May 09, 2020 9:10 pm

I didn't go much by the saying ' what doesn't kill you makes you stronger ', but, coming thru something as shocking as this dam virus must surely affect someone mentally ? I mean it must make you more resolute, a different kind of strength & determination ? Surely youde see things differently & evaluate things better ? wouldn't you ? put things into perspective.

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next