Whats in a name? Forum title discussion.

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Whats in a name? Forum title discussion. Empty Whats in a name? Forum title discussion.

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:24 am

Whats in a name? Forum title discussion. S

So I think we can all largely agree that being associated with the Hobbit Movies in any fashion is not making us attractive, especially as it rather implies we in some way endorse those awful films.

So I suppose it boils down to- do we just drop the Hobbit Movies bit and have just Forumshire?
Do we replace the association with the Hobbit movies with the upcoming Amazon series in the hopes of attracting new members?
Or come up with somehting else entierly like a simple- Tolkien discussion forum?
Or something else one of you may have in mind?

Thoughts? }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Whats in a name? Forum title discussion. Empty Re: Whats in a name? Forum title discussion.

Post by halfwise Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:30 am

It's a hard choice between going with the purity of a Tolkien discussion site and a name that will attract more members.  The first would be more honest to our true nature, but...

How about if we change the name to something Amazon-Tolkieny, but openly declare we are doing it to capitalize on the new series, claim we stubbornly refuse to change from what we really are, and intend to brazenly take advantage of any new opportunities that come up just to attract members?  If Trump can say whatever he wants to be elected, why can't we paste the current fashion on to stay current?  It's like strip-teasing in the talent show to jangle the applause meter for the trophy.  No shame if you're straight up honest about your intentions.

Unfortunately I don't know how much work is involved changing site names (and setting up a jump-site to forward long-lost waifs who come to check up on their old friends).  We should keep the moniker Forumshire, just change the website url (and search tags).  Everything else stays.

I have to think the ease of this depends on forummotion.  May cost a bit to register the new domain name, I'm sure  the membership will donate if this seems like the way to go. hmm...we already own  the name hobbitmovieforum, if it's set to be nothing but a link with explanation, will forummotion let us pay pennies for the privilege?

So that's my thought.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Whats in a name? Forum title discussion. Empty Re: Whats in a name? Forum title discussion.

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:35 am

{{ One obvious issue if we do change to match Amazon series is that it might turn out to be another huge pile of sweaty balls like the Hobbit films were, in whch case we'd just have swapped one unpopular Tolkien adaptation for another, and then we'd be struck with that.
On otherhand even if its rubbish it will no doubt get so much hype and build up we might attract folks just through that if we have an association with it in name. }}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:57 pm

Unfortunately finding out how much work this would require in itself requires work, and Amarie's swamped. Lots of time before June, but the sooner we get on this the better. Anyone else here have some experience dealing with forummotion? Or willing to poke around and give it a go even without having dealt with them? It would be nice to help Amarie out.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:42 pm

I'm quite a simplistic person, or, as my family will say, SIMPLE. What attracted me here in the first place, above all the other forums there were ? I think choosing a name that is familiar to Tolkienites but is reasonably neutral in that it doesn't lean towards The Hobbit ? It wouldn't be so bad a name if the films were any bloody good ! Thanks Peejers !

Whats in a name? Forum title discussion. Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Whats in a name? Forum title discussion. Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:49 pm

We need to disassociate ourselves from the shitty Hobbit movies and put the emphasis on Tolkien, but it may be a mistake to cozy up too much to the Amazon stuff because they may turn out to be another Hobbit fiasco. Or they may be great, we don't really know yet. We do need to attract new people and make it easy to find us. The name Forumshire is a bit obscure imo, it doesn't Google very well. If newbies are Googling to find a LOTRs forum it needs to be obvious what we are into. We need to be easier to find. that's just my thought on the matter. I don't know anything about the technical side of things.
Maybe we can all try to come up with a new name? what about something easy like, Tolkien Films Forum. that way Google searches hit 3 major subjects.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:13 pm

Agreed. With Amazon we could be jumping out of the pan into the fire. Im quite wary now after The Hobbshit foray. I still cant get my head round that one. What a shower of shit !

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:09 pm

I almost like Tolkien-films-forum, except that we need a word that covers both TV and theater. "Media" is too damn gearhead. "Show" is too flippant. Maybe "feature"? TFF.

I'm okay with cutting Amazon out so long as we would attract the same people looking for it. I also think a prominent explanation of our history and culture would be nice. Just added to the sticky about rules? Call it "Introducing the forum?" It might help people understand why we are the way that we are.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:15 pm

Laughing When was the last time you looked at the Forum's FAQ? Damn good summary of what we are about. Okay, all we need is a few more questions to round it out and we're set.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:34 pm

Tolkien Films Forum is a bit dry and clinical and it lacks the charm of Forumshire, but it does what it says on the tin.
maybe TFF could be followed by something more in our style, but I don't know how long these titles can be or if you have to pay by the word. no idea about websites.

Maybe something like 'Tolkien Films Forum: Forumshire'

Shrugging
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:39 pm

The difficulty isn't so much in the website name, but in whether our host is willing to just rename without having to set up a whole new site and transfer everything over. Or if they'll let the old site be free (or maybe even have ads!) so long as it just contains a link to the new one.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:17 pm

yep but I don't know anything about that kind of stuff, maybe Amarie knows.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:51 am

Fuck Amazon.

We need something that simple labels us as Tolkien fans, first and foremost.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:44 am

{{ Pending input from Amarie when she has the opportunity I think we can leave aside the technical aspects for now and just decide the broad principles- we can worry about how to do it later.

It seems to me therefore that the first decision is simply between do we wish to be associated with the Amazon project in our name alongside Tolkien.

Or do we just want to reference Tolkien?

Put it to a fourm vote maybe? Shrugging }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:15 am

A vote would be best I think. Im with Forest on this. We have our own identity, have done for several years now. I kinda like being, ( not intending to be big headed but..) original, independent, I don't like trotting along following the crowd ? Quirky is nice also Smile But, be yourself !!!! I hate being a crowd pleaser. Its not who you are, its bloody uncomfortable !

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:55 pm

Tolkien Film Forum or something similar would catch the eye of those looking for news about the amazon project, and we have a very conspicuous thread about it.

I'd still like a word that captures TV better than "film" but my search has been fruitless. "feature" may be too much of a head scratcher. I feel the word (or words) is out there. "media" is technically what I'm looking for but don't like the sound of it.

We are so small that I'm not sure a formal vote is needed as we can see the trend already is to change the name to something less specific. Once we find a few name possibilities then it will time to vote.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:17 pm

Here's a starting list (and you have to suffer through my comments):

Tolkien Film Forum       has a nice ring but still a bit too specific

Tolkien Media Forum     perfect meaning including print but somehow kills the magic

Tolkien Forum             a little too presumptuous for us to claim we are THE Tolkien Forum

Middle Earth Forum     has the magic but missing the important Tolkien search term

Tolkien Middle Earth Forum   hits all the search terms but perhaps a bit bloated?

Tolkien We're Not Dead Yet Forum   a bit too honest

Any other suggestions?

Last edited by halfwise on Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:19 pm

btw, I had formatted the above but it didn't come out.  How do you get spaces/tabs to be preserved?

EDIT: they came out after editing and doing nothing! Spooky.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:36 pm

{{ I had same issue when putting the Who stats up, set out in nice spaced coloumns, posted it and all the spaces were gone and it was all scrunched up, went back into edit it looked fine, posted it again and it came out as intended Shrugging Mad

Your list seems a good starting point Halfy, though it does rather presume we are not going with the Amazon connection- I happen to agree on that but think it maybe should be put to a vote to be sure its the general opinion. }}}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:46 pm

Az yes Figgs yes Forest yes You yes Me persuaded

So among the recently active we have yet to hear from Malick, Dave, Lance, Amarie.  Among the currently less frequently active we have Bluebottle, Ringo, Norc, Orwell.  We also have Manwe and Shiggy have just shown up.  I think that pretty much covers it?  Get their input and we are ready to go.  But since everyone who had expressed an opinion has said the same thing I think it's pretty clear.

Last edited by halfwise on Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:06 pm

what about the

Tolkien Movie Forum 

only because US Hobbits are going to be Googling the word 'movie' and not 'film'. The word Film is pretty much specific to British Hobbits.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:10 pm

Movie is specific, as is film. Doesn't cover TV episodes. Or anything else.

but swapping "Hobbit" for "Tolkien" gets us from past to future. Personally I woudn't want to lock us into the films. (for me it's either totally specific on Amazon or completely broad).

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:00 pm

Road to Middle Earth Forum
?

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:50 pm

Oo...I kinda like it! A bit long, praps. Tolkien Pathway Forum? Almost as long. I DO like Road to Middle Earth as a forum name.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:50 pm

Road2MiddleEarthForum

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next