Lancebloke
Forest Shepherd
Mrs Figg
19 posters

Page 19 of 26 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 22 ... 26  Next

Go down

Game of Thrones [2] - Page 19 Empty Re: Game of Thrones [2]

Post by halfwise Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:15 pm

Jaime in the Riverlands is one of the best parts of the series, I think it was a serious mistake how they passed over it in the show. We did get a different Jaime, but the full extent of his transformation was not adequately portrayed by keeping him at King's Landing. Poor choice.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:56 pm

yep, I think Melisandre will arrive sometime next episode before the battle and the Onion knight doesn't have time to take revenge. I reckon it will be all hands on deck.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:46 pm

Hopefully Ghost eats her or something.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:09 pm

She has to die in Westeros... she said so herself
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:19 am

I actually really enjoyed that episode. Where the last felt rushed, this one felt like it took time to explore some relationships and set it up well for next week.

I approve.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:28 pm

It had more subtle character payoffs than any other episode in the series. If you didn't really know the characters and story the entire thing would have flown over your head; but if you do, it was great.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:52 pm

So Figgs, where are you? I have to believe you're still busy dabbing your eyes after Jaime Knighted Brienne. That one got me; it gets me even worse rewatching it.

Still hacked off that with all these reunions they didn't bother to do justice to Jon's first meeting with Snow. I understand it's hard to get the real wolves they use to do what's wanted, but still. At least a first emotion filled look between them, then fade. All we got was a scene with Jon, and hey look! In the background there's Snow! Mad

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:10 pm

well that was ok, lot better than last week, and boy there was some fan service going on.  "the things we do for lurve" awkward! silent  it seemed to be about all the remaining couples, questions and relationships which fans need to tie up. Arya and Gendry, and Dany finding out about Jon being the main ones. There were two seconds of Ghost but at least we know where he is. The Brienne thing was nice, and Davos meeting the little girl with the scar was quite touching. I liked the boys booze-up as well, that was cute. Its the calm before the storm.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:18 pm

it was fan service done right, I say. Nothing was overplayed - I thought it one of the loveliest episodes of the whole series. Calling the Brienne knighting 'nice' is a travesty of understatement. It was perfect.

The first episode was just getting pieces into place. Pretty damn mechanical, never hit home.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:27 pm

The 'thing we do for love' was the last thing Bran heard Jamien say before he got pushed out of the window... not sure what that was fan service.

I really liked the episode. Reconnecting with all of the characters before some of them get killed off. Would lack some emotional impact otherwise.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:43 am

I had told my cousin as much: that before a battle happens in a movie or show it's necessary to set the personal stakes attached to the outcome. Apparently he and his fiancée did not enjoy this episode as much as the last. I really don't understand that. I had brought over some Riesling and had a glass, so perhaps that helped improve my out look. But I don't think so. The first episode had some dumb shit in it: the continuing "Jonaerys" romance, the catty nonsense between Sansa and Danaerys, the reunions that lacked depth or meaning...

But this episode had some decently wholesome moments. The conversation between Sansa and Danaerys removed some of the stupidity of last week. The reunion by the hearth was quite enjoyable, with Tyrion's winky-face as he overflowed Podrick's wine-glass being an episode high-light for me. The Brienne knighting had a little bit of cringe to it with Tormund's predictable "fuck tradition!" line, but it was touching. Nice for Brienne to gain that knighthood before dyi--
oops, better not go there yet.

I used to like Arya. But then the actress got all cocky, the show got worse, and the character is just bereft of likeable personality now. What's she even doing here? I mean, apart from satisfying her lusty ways with Mr. 10 Body & 5 Face. That whole seduction scene was strange. It doesn't help that her book character is no older than 12 at the moment, or that she doesn't seem to care about Gendry beyond making the Beast with Two Backs with him.

It's also strange that Tyrion gets thrown under the bus for two seasons in which he makes bad decisions and offers counsel that fails Danaerys; only for Danaerys to regain fresh confidence in him just because Jorah "Sellin' your secrets to Robert Baratheon" Mormont came back and said how great he is.

I'm looking forward to next week's episode, if only for the memory of 14-year-old-me, when I consumed any battle scene I could get my hands on.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:07 pm

halfwise wrote:it was fan service done right, I say.  Nothing was overplayed - I thought it one of the loveliest episodes of the whole series.   Calling the Brienne knighting 'nice' is a travesty of understatement.  It was perfect.

The first episode was just getting pieces into place.  Pretty damn mechanical, never hit home.

Laughing I know it was perfect, her smile at the end was beautiful.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:12 pm

Forest Shepherd wrote:I had told my cousin as much: that before a battle happens in a movie or show it's necessary to set the personal stakes attached to the outcome. Apparently he and his fiancée did not enjoy this episode as much as the last. I really don't understand that. I had brought over some Riesling and had a glass, so perhaps that helped improve my out look. But I don't think so. The first episode had some dumb shit in it: the continuing "Jonaerys" romance, the catty nonsense between Sansa and Danaerys, the reunions that lacked depth or meaning...

But this episode had some decently wholesome moments. The conversation between Sansa and Danaerys removed some of the stupidity of last week. The reunion by the hearth was quite enjoyable, with Tyrion's winky-face as he overflowed Podrick's wine-glass being an episode high-light for me. The Brienne knighting had a little bit of cringe to it with Tormund's predictable "fuck tradition!" line, but it was touching. Nice for Brienne to gain that knighthood before dyi--
oops, better not go there yet.

I used to like Arya. But then the actress got all cocky, the show got worse, and the character is just bereft of likeable personality now. What's she even doing here? I mean, apart from satisfying her lusty ways with Mr. 10 Body & 5 Face. That whole seduction scene was strange. It doesn't help that her book character is no older than 12 at the moment, or that she doesn't seem to care about Gendry beyond making the Beast with Two Backs with him.

It's also strange that Tyrion gets thrown under the bus for two seasons in which he makes bad decisions and offers counsel that fails Danaerys; only for Danaerys to regain fresh confidence in him just because Jorah "Sellin' your secrets to Robert Baratheon" Mormont came back and said how great he is.

I'm looking forward to next week's episode, if only for the memory of 14-year-old-me, when I consumed any battle scene I could get my hands on.

yep agree about Arya, but I suppose if she is now an assassin she wouldn't be the girl she used to be. You cant turn somebodies relatives into pie and then cry over bunny rabbits and lolcats.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:21 pm

Actually Arya's book character is 18 at the time (or is that show character?).  I thought seeing Arya be lusty was kinda cute.  She's the closest she's ever been for years to being in a safe space (until the attack), so I think she'd be less guarded.

Edit: in the books the kid characters are typically 2 years younger, so Arya would be 16. Plenty old enough still.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:11 pm

Well, Bran was 10 when he got pushed out of the window and was the second youngest. I am actually not sure how much time has passed in the show but it is 10 Earth years and 8 seasons so I think we can safely say if Arya was a minimum of 11, she is between 18 and 20 in the show.

I find the reaction to the sex scene funny. People seem fine with her chopping people up, feeding them to their family, killing the family and then wearing the face to kill more family... but are then offended when she gets a nice, consensual shag with a good character the night before she might be horribly killed!!!

There were two things I was disappointed with in the last episode. First was Varys not being involved at all... just in the background in a scene or two.

Second was the number of important conversations that got interrupted... was a but tropey. Sansa and Dany, Dany and Jon, what would have been a great scene with Bran telling Tyrion about his story.

I am really not convinced that Winterfell will win the next battle. I think there may be a big retreat with some people left behind for a later resolution (with not many main characters still alive).
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:27 pm

Wow, I didn't even notice Varys was there! If he was that IS a waste.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:32 pm

I am hoping that at least one representative from each house survives, so Gendry, Tyrion, Sansa, Theon or Yara, Jon and or Dany, Sam, Little Bear, Missandei. I think the rest are toast. Not sure about Arya or Jon though.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:40 pm

Halfy - I haven't rewatched but sure I saw him in the background when they were discussing the battle plan... he will be down in the crypt.

I really hope we get some Ghost action in the next episode or two. They have really done the direwolves a disservice!

Figgy - yeah... not sure about that. There were a lot of character arcs finished last time out so I am pretty sure there will be one or two majors deaths, plus lots of the supporting cast.

As I said, I don't think the battle will be won and we may see some of those characters come back in the dead army.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:45 pm

"little bear" Razz

She wasn't even supposed to be in more than her initial scene last year, but everyone loved her so much they started looking for ways to call her back. You're right: GRRM might kill her off, I don't think D&D will be able to bring themselves to off her.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:56 pm

Did you not watch the red wedding? D&D added Tulisa and her baby to all that!!!! They aren't afraid of brutally killing innocent, fan favourites.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:49 pm

They cant off everyone. A lot of fan faves will die without having an empty ending, I reckon Jaime, Davos, Greyworm, Varys, Cercei, Bran and Jorah, and maybe a dragon or Ghost is enough for anyone surely? They may want to do a LOTR type sad ending with Sam and Gilly going home to his castle and him writing about it all. They cant make it so sad that people get pissed off.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:06 pm

I am pretty sure the end will be bittersweet. There will be unhappy people!
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:14 pm

I think this sums up the last episode pretty well.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/game-thrones-leaned-hard-fan-154803825.html

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:51 am

halfwise wrote:Actually Arya's book character is 18 at the time (or is that show character?).  I thought seeing Arya be lusty was kinda cute.  She's the closest she's ever been for years to being in a safe space (until the attack), so I think she'd be less guarded.

Edit: in the books the kid characters are typically 2 years younger, so Arya would be 16.  Plenty old enough still.

I believe that Show!Arya is 11 at the beginning of the show. Something like 6 or 7 years has passed, maybe? probably?, in the show, like Lance said and this article elaborates upon: https://screenrant.com/game-thrones-how-much-time-passed/. So show!Arya is somewhere in the area of 18.

But then again, does that make sense? Cersei was "pregnant" some time last season. And she's still not showing? That's not certainly not a whole year's worth of time between seasons then. And little Sam was still quite small last season, not four years old.

Book!Arya is 9 at the start of A Game of Thrones. And about 2 and a half years have passed between then and the end of A Dance with Dragons. ADWD is two books before A Dream of Spring, which is where we are in the show, technically. But in the last published book she is around 11. Here's a very detailed timeline someone with too much time on their hands made: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZsY3lcDDtTdBWp1Gx6mfkdtZT6-Gk0kdTGeSC_Dj7WM/edit#gid=8

Last edited by Forest Shepherd on Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:02 am; edited 1 time in total

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:55 am

Lancebloke wrote:
I find the reaction to the sex scene funny. People seem fine with her chopping people up, feeding them to their family, killing the family and then wearing the face to kill more family... but are then offended when she gets a nice, consensual shag with a good character the night before she might be horribly killed!!!

For myself at least, I've disliked all of that stuff too.

Lancebloke wrote:Second was the number of important conversations that got interrupted... was a bit tropey. Sansa and Dany, Dany and Jon, what would have been a great scene with Bran telling Tyrion about his story.

I agree! It seems to me that the writers didn't know where to take those conversations, and had to steer us away from them so that we wouldn't get a real outcome too early in the season.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 26 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 22 ... 26  Next