azriel
David H
malickfan
17 posters

Page 25 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32 ... 40  Next

Go down

Television programmes [2] - Page 25 Empty Re: Television programmes [2]

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:30 am

Has anyone seen The Sopranos? I'm on the third episode now and I'm really enjoying it so far. The first episode lost me a bit with the number of characters they introduced, but from the second episode on the show has slowed down and is developing those characters in really interesting ways.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:18 pm

no, not really my thing, but it won tons of awards.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:42 pm

Have heard nothing but good things about The Sopranos other than...

Spoiler:

...and it played a big role in the explosive growth of cable dramas so I've wanted to get around to it for a long while, but who knows when I will. I still need to finish watching The Wire. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:57 pm

Sopranos was THE hot show when both of you were teenagers of various stripes. But I never had cable, and it's a bit too long to binge watch, so I've never seen it yet myself.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:59 pm

I was four when The Sopranos started and 12 when it ended so it passed me by for the most part and I only learned any specifics about it after the fact.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:41 pm

My basic math can be slightly off...

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:01 am

It ended when I was sixteen. I vaguely recall hearing bits about its pop culture significance, but this was back before I watched any tv shows.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:04 pm

We had The Soprano's over here in UK. I just looked it up on IMDB & am surprised it started 1999, doesn't feel that long ago to me ? I saw a couple of episodes at the beginning & lost watching it due to other things but,, what I saw was good ! Shame the lead actor James Gandolfini died in real life.

Television programmes [2] - Page 25 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Television programmes [2] - Page 25 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:17 pm

Watched the 1st episode tonight of a fun drama called "The Brokenwood Mysteries". Its set in a ficticious town in New Zealand & I really liked it. I like the lead actor, Neil Rea who plays Detective Sergeant Mike Shepherd. Its sorta like "Midsommer Murders down under" Smile Anyway, I had to google it & I see there were 3 series made, starting in 2014-2016. Series 3, Ep9, I'm looking forward to as its about a Lord of The Rings tour where someone is wrapped in fake cobwebs & poisoned with spider venom Laughing That should be interesting Very Happy

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:25 am

Laughing

That LotR-themed episode sounds really cheesy or hilarious.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:12 pm

I'm betting on Cheese Forest !
{{{not a "cheese forest", be hard to find one of those }}} but, yeah, cheese.. Very Happy

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:47 pm

Well The Sopranos continue to delight. Episode 6 now of season 1. It does remind me a lot of Breaking Bad. (Or vice versa, but you know what I mean.)

I just watched an episode that flashbacks to Tony's childhood. It was fun to see an approximation of the time period in New Jersey in which my mom grew up.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:57 pm

Forest Shepherd wrote:Well The Sopranos continue to delight. Episode 6 now of season 1. It does remind me a lot of Breaking Bad. (Or vice versa, but you know what I mean.)

I just watched an episode that flashbacks to Tony's childhood. It was fun to see an approximation of the time period in New Jersey in which my mom grew up.

One of my all-time favourite shows, you're in for a treat if this is the first time you're watching it Smile

Television programmes [2] - Page 25 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:04 am

It is! 

It was funny earlier: I told my mom that the show briefly mentioned the riots in Newark, N.J. in '67, and she reminded me a bit of Tony's mom by asking me, "Well did they represent it correctly? Or make up some liberal nonsense?"

Razz

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:31 am

I like watching "Coast" on the 'Yesterday' channel. The one tonight was interesting, Ive tried to find a vid for it but not much success. Anyhoo, one topic in it was about the mystery surrounding the death of Lord Kitchener. How the ship he was on sank in Scapa Flow & how "officials" refused the islanders to rescue the survivors. Apparently 600 men died that night. One minute Kitchener was feeling sea sick the next, he was a goner.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3625322/Killed-Winston-Churchill-escape-new-life-Stalin-Death-World-War-poster-icon-Lord-Kitchener-shrouded-conspiracy-theories-100-years-died.html

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:08 am

I'm quite unfamiliar with Lord Kitchener and the matter of his death. Was it during WWI?

Speaking of war-related TV, I was just rewatching the first episode of Band of Brothers. I forgot Simon Pegg had a small role!

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:12 pm

Yes, it was in the 1st world war Forest, Ive just looked at Wiki & theres a shed load of info about him, so much I don't know. I remember "Band of Brothers" Smile Damien Lewis, cuz of his red hair Smile I always associate him with war stuff tho he's done other things.

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:42 pm

Mad Evil or Very Mad confused Banghead Extremely Crabbit

...Westworld.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:30 pm

Its an advert.....but......I like it Smile

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:26 pm

:carrot: ding-dong, the witch is dead!  :carrot:

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/fox-news-fires-bill-oreilly-amid-sexual-harassment-storm-183851947.html

Not sure the O'Reilly Factor really belongs in this thread, but don't know where else to put it.  The firing of boss Roger Ailes half a year ago is actually somewhat minor in comparison.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:52 pm

So with Kelly and O'Reilly both gone (admittedly for very different reasons), how long until Hannity's departure? Please?
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:01 pm

He and Fox and Friends are the only ones left to draw Trumpeters to Fox.

I've been very pleased with the way Chris Wallace has been attacking the misinformation coming out of the Trump White House. I'm kinda hoping Fox News stays alive just for him.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:05 pm

I've been happy to see Shep continue to get a bigger role in recent years.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:22 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/apr/29/when-good-tv-goes-bad-battlestar-galactica?

"When good tv goes bad" must be something must of us have gone through, I'm guessing Shrugging

What's your example? Very Happy

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:51 pm

No one? Razz You guys must be watching some great television. Give me some tips Smile

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Page 25 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32 ... 40  Next