azriel
David H
malickfan
17 posters

Page 11 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next

Go down

Television programmes [2] - Page 11 Empty Re: Television programmes [2]

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:22 pm

well I was on the end of my seat so it worked for me. Shrugging it was typical XFiles conspiracy theories gone mad oh no its actually happening Scully and Mulder to the rescue but nobody believes them apart from scaremongering journo, it was great fun. even dat cliffhanger. Very Happy plus it had to be a big episode with a big story if they want people to want more if they want another series.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:47 am

I've been watching Syfy's The Magicians, based on the Lev Grossman novel that I've heard mostly good things about, from week to week despite generally hating that way of watching shows. It feels like a conscious attempt at "fixing" Harry Potter and Narnia, or at least making them more grown up and nuanced. I can't speak as to how effective the book is at this goal, but so far the show's effort has been undermined by its adolescent approach. They're trying way too hard to be cool and edgy (by fantasy standards), especially with the dialogue, like a 13 year old who just started swearing because he heard someone he admired doing so. These characters are supposed to be in grad school but none of them act like it, though this is probably because they're all like 18 in the book.

The show started off with the fairly interesting hook of the protagonist being clinically depressed -- the first scene is set in a psych ward -- but it undercuts this within the first episode by having the Dean of the magic school tell him to stop taking his meds immediately, because being where he belongs (with magic) will make things better. This being mere minutes after a really good bit about magicians still have to deal with physical illnesses like everyone else really drives home the disappointment at seeing this trope crop up yet again.  To be fair, the show does not portray magic as fixing all the protagonist's emotional problems, but neither does it follow through on the premise of magic and mental illness coexisting, settling instead for the very tired "listless 20-something who's mainly just scared to grow up" routine, despite occasionally claiming to be doing something more.

There's some interesting ideas at play but it's disappointing how little has been fleshed out in half a season. It's not uniformly bad by any means, and several of the characters are quite enjoyable to watch, which is why I haven't given up on it yet. But it's hard not to be disappointed at a show that seems to want to limit itself by sticking to the familiar, even while trying to sell itself as something that defies genre conventions.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:26 am

Its funny you should mention that book, I read it years ago and really enjoyed it, but I was thinking about a scene in the book the other day because it remained in my imagination, actually there are three scenes which I remember vividly. Its true that its a more grown up HP, but it didn't feel hugely derivative. I didn't know they had made a tv series, I might check it out.
anyway there is a scene which bears no resemblance to anything I have ever read before and its worth reading the book just for that section alone imo,
Spoiler:
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:42 am

uhoh just watched the trailer, its like, too cool for school man. afro
his best friend is supposed to have a serious facial disfigurement, which they seem to have lost. it would have been better to use a disabled actor rather than a hunk, if they really wanted to be cool, that is. The character is cool despite and because of his disfigurement, which is important to depict, its a bit like making wearing glasses was made cool by HP, or having ginger hair. This is supposed to be a grown up version therefore they should have had the guts to show non Twilight-ready actors.

Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:07 pm

You're making the book sound like a much better experience, Figgy, so I might have to give that a try at some point. Smile

Spoiler:
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:37 am

Spoiler:
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:32 am

God, Firefly is amazing. Just one look at it, and you know Fox had no idea what they had. Mad

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:47 am

Just introduced to it? I'm made at myself because I kept seeing it listed, but the name turned me off so never tuned in. It was truly an amazing project that deserved so much more. I think Fox never tried to really sell it. Idiots.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:11 pm

Nah, I've watched it before, but not during the original run. (I think I first might have watched it last year, actually. Or the year beofre that. (After joined this forum anyway. (Because I joined this forum, perhaps. Smile)))

I discovered a friend of mine was a big fan as well the other day. (He's really been nagging his girlfriend (who knits a lot) to knit him Jeynes hat. (He got really dissapointed when she had knitted him some wollen mittens this christmas.)) So, I started watching again. Smile

Someone at Fox definitely had somethig out for it from the get go. You can pretty easily sink a new show by fucking with it's schedueling and episode order. Mad

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:29 pm

Television programmes [2] - Page 11 2b3a5904f7eb8629fd96a85fd1a99e57

Razz

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:40 pm

It was killed like Star Trek, though it never lost quality. If it had lasted as long would it have been as good?

http://nerdapproved.com/news/former-fox-president-explains-why-firefly-had-to-be-cancelled/

www.digitalspy.com/tv/.../in-defence-of-fireflys-cancellation/

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:45 pm

Yeahyeahyeah. They had gold, and they wasted it. Sometimes things take time, but you still end up with the bigger revard. They can talk numbers all they want, but the thing is they had what is now one of the most talked about and lauded scifi-shows out there, and they wasted it. (And I'll not even get into the wiggling of timeslots and episde numbering, because in reality they have to take a large chunk of the blame for those numbers themselves.)

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:54 pm

If they had timeslotted it as deserved, and advertised it as deserved (just saying "by the creator of Buffy the Vampire Slayer" would have driven flocks of people to it, but they never took that obvious approach) it would have lasted at least 2 or 3 times longer, and we'd have a larger treasure trove of episodes. That chance is gone forever. Sad

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:47 pm

Colony is actually turning out to be rather interesting. Giving the viewers few details, letting people discover the background story through it's telling all the while seeming to know where they're going. All along with some decent acting performances. It might all be a let down by the end, but so far so good.

The Shannara Chronicles on the other hand was a let down, even for my insignificant expectations. (In hindsight finding out the people behind it have made pretty maudling fantasy television in the past, (Into the Badlands, Smallville) tells a lot of the story. It really is of paramount importance to get good people doing these things. (Although, it rarely seems to happen.)) Only got one episode to go though. So, I'll soldier through.

Really looking forward to the second episode of The Night Porter. Hugh Laurie was stunning, as the villain, in the first one.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:06 pm

{{I dont think Ive seen Hugh Laurie in anything bad, or if I have, he wasn't bad in it. He is still my favourite Wooster, and him and Stephen Fry my definitive onscreen Jeeves and Wooster}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:15 am

Nod

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:23 am

Very Happy

Television programmes [2] - Page 11 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Television programmes [2] - Page 11 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:15 pm

Since the Who thread is locked I'll put this here, Peter Capaldi has been asked to stay on for at least Series 11, but since it is so far away he says he hasn't made his mind up yet:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-03-07/peter-capaldi-ive-been-asked-to-stay-on-in-doctor-who-after-steven-moffat-leaves

Good news, at the very least if he leaves we now know it will be completely his decision (both Tennant and Smith were offered a fourth series) Very Happy

(There were a few nasty rumours circulating Gallifrey Base implying that BBC Worldwide were trying to force him out, the decreasing merchandising sales being blamed on the casting of an older actor in the role (ignoring the obvious fact that merchandise even in the Matt Smith years had drastically been reduced from 2007-8 levels...)...I'll still be rather gutted if he does go, but it's good to know he's been asked (his original contract fro reportedly for only two series, since it's been extended once already it seems the BBC has alot of confidence in his doctor)

Personally I'm hoping he'll agree to stay on for one or two more seasons (but not much more than that, Tom Baker got quite stale by the end) after Chibnall takes over for several reasons A) It still feels like Capaldi has barely got started in the role-the ending of series 9 (Clara's departure, new sonic, new costume and a slightly cheerier 12th Doctor) seemed to be the 'end of the beginning' for his Doctor and a clear set up for a new chapter (had Moffat left after Series 9 as he originally intended, presumably Capaldi would have stayed on anyway) it would be very interesting to see how Chibnall writes for his doctor, and whether a different style of writing could bring out new layers to his performance B) I'm not a fan of the 'Troughton' rule (i.e. 3 series and done) and Capaldi is such a great actor I'd love for him to reestablish a new precadent for the show C) When Smith and Moffat took over back in 2010 i.m.o it felt like too drastic a reboot from the Tennant years-it's understandable that Chibnall will want to bring his own style and interpretation to the show, but he can do that through the storylines and companions, carrying over the leading man for a series or two will help bed down his first few stories and reassure fans it's less of a clean break, more a continuation.

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:40 pm

I am more inclined towards a clean break, but I get what you mean about Capaldi having a new writing style, maybe its a better fit, Who knows. Very Happy
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:51 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:I am more inclined towards a clean break, but I get what you mean about Capaldi having a new writing style, maybe its a better fit, Who knows. Very Happy

Fair enough, Chris Chibnall is still busy planning Broadchurch Series 3 so it will probably be a few months before Capaldi had to make a decisison anyway, though Moffat practically begged Tennant to stay for Series 5 long before Smith was cast...

When Capaldi does step down I'm hoping they don't go back to casting another young actor in the role...

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:04 pm

Moffat practically begged Tennant to stay for Series 5 long before Smith was cast...- Malick

{{Where did you pick that up from?- keep meaning to ask- the only interview I've read with Tennant where he mentions it, its Tennant who says he nearly changed his mind so he could stay on to work with Moffat, not the other way round or anything about Moffat begging}}}}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:09 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Moffat practically begged Tennant to stay for Series 5 long before Smith was cast...- Malick

{{Where did you pick that up from?- keep meaning to ask- the only interview I've read with Tennant where he mentions it, its Tennant who says he nearly changed his mind so he could stay on to work with Moffat, not the other way round or anything about Moffat begging}}}}

I read it ages ago on

https://www.reddit.com/r/gallifrey/new/

Can't remember the source, but apparently he talked about it Doctor Who magazine a few years ago, he had a loose plan that Tennant would crash mid regeneration into child Amy's garden then dissapear in his tardis, a younger 10th Doctor would later run into an adult Amy and the two would travel together for series 5, he'd regenerate in the series 5 finale.

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:24 pm

{{Thanks Malick- I suspect things have been reworded somewhat! Especially the begging bit- not that I am accusing you Malick, not your style fortunately. But I cant imagine Moffat begging anyone- I was aware of the original idea with Tennant but understood this was before Tennant was 'officially' leaving- and the interview I read (I am trying to find it) it seemed very much a mutual respect club, with Moffat wanting to write for Tennant and Tennant reconsidering his decision to leave for the chance to work with Moffat but deciding in the end it was time for him to move on for his career. Personally I am glad it fell out that way as I like 11 a lot more than I ever did 10}}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:34 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Personally I am glad it fell out that way as I like 11 a lot more than I ever did 10}}}

I preffered 10 at the time, but I'd grown rather less fond of Tennant's Dr since, and yeah it was probably for the best he went when he did...

Although there's certainly a good case for a clean break with Chibnall takes over, I personally think it might be for the best if Capaldi stays around for just a little while longer to ease in the transition-personally (at the time at least) I think I would have found Moffat's drastically different style of writing easier to accept if the leading man had stayed around to bridge the two eras-Hartnell, Troughton and T Baker all worked with multiple showrunners which were able to find new layers/tone to the Doctor's character and storylines, I'm hopeful the same holds true for Capaldi.

As I said above 3 series dosen't feel enough-McGann, Eccleston, Tennant and Smith could have all done much more, and Capaldi is at a stage in his career when he can afford to hang around long term.

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:39 pm

{{Agreed about 3 series not being enough- I felt Matt choose the wrong moment, he had another year to do, had initially agreed to stay it and publicly announced he was staying and Moffat had a years worth of story threads to tie up he had all planned out, and we would not have got the rushed feel to his finale as all those threads were hurriedly tied up- I have no doubt the reveal of the Silence as Confessional Priests with the power to pass Judgement on the spot would have been one of those oh my God! moments had half of the series been set during the Siege of Trenzalore, same goes for the reveal of the Kovarian faction and them being behind the destruction of the TARDIS at the end of series 5 and a lotof other little threads points, but sadly they go by at a blur in a single episode.

The thing for Tennant for me was never the performance a such, I did grow tired of his reliance on certain exclamations and facial expressions mind you, but I don't blame the actor for that so much as how he was being written and directed.
Tennant could be outstanding and has a number of excellent episodes, Midnight, Silence in the Library, Family of Blood, Turn Left, Waters of Mars, to name a few that spring to mind- but for the most part his Doctor lacked any real feeling of being either alien from us, or having any mystery or distance to him- he was to emo for that and spilled his heart and feelings out all over the place, and even worse they were very human feelings - he was too much like your best mate you went out for a laugh with because they were a bit wild and nuts but always fun, then something bad happens to them and they go all morose and miserable and goth on you.

But that's only one aspect of the Doctor, he is also the fellow who if you go travelling with him, and you are very, very lucky, you might get to leave alive because your female and from the 1970's and get married and married women can't travel in the TARDIS as they now belong to someone else, or you might get out not too badly mentally scarred but still somewhat emotionally damaged so you never form another comparable relationship with a male of your species again, but chances are you will leave the TARDIS due to all the death and killing pushing towards a breakdown, because you have been abandoned far from home, had your mind wiped, had your brain deleted and replaced by that of a sentient slug-thing, been left in a parallel dimension, been blown up on a spaceship, aged to death in the past, or died screaming in agony whilst a Quantum Shade eats your soul. And the Doctor knows this, yet keeps doing it. The Doctor is that guy too. }}}

'I've led you by the hand to your death. But the worst thing is, I knew. I knew this would happen. This is what always happens. I took you with me because I was vain, because I wanted to be adored. I'm not a hero. I really am just a mad man in a box."- The Doctor

Last edited by Pettytyrant101 on Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next