Pettytyrant101
Forest Shepherd
bungobaggins
halfwise
Eldorion
15 posters

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

The Hobbit EE in theatres: one last one last time - Page 5 Empty Re: The Hobbit EE in theatres: one last one last time

Post by Eldorion Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:20 am

I'm glad these clips are making their way online so you guys can experience them too. I dunno that my descriptions really did them justice. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

The Hobbit EE in theatres: one last one last time - Page 5 Empty Re: The Hobbit EE in theatres: one last one last time

Post by bungobaggins Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:39 am

I watched the dwarves vs. elves and chariot chase. They really are beyond description.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:20 pm

#speechlessafterwatchinghobbitclips
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:57 pm

Five years later, Peter Jackson has finally made you speechless? Razz

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:48 pm

I'm tempted to phone him, find out how! Very Happy

But what those clips nicely demonstrate, especially as they are a film now full of excessive violence and gore- is that PJ is to tone what dog shit is to cadburys chocolate- which is obviously, dog shit.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:03 pm

Tinuviel wrote:Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
I've asked about buckfast. I was told it was mainly an Irish thing, but that's obviously wrong. I haven't found it yet no, but when I head to Scotland later in November I'll look!

Hey, before you post your buckfast review, could you give us all like a day's head's up? I want to be in proper drunken glory whilst reading it. drunken I also want Norc to illustrate it, but I suppose that will come later.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:05 pm

I've heard a rumour- just a rumour mind- that the NotP plans to make its long awaited (by some) revamped return with a Palantirazzi epic Royal Special covering Her Maj's Official Visit to the UK.
So I heard anyway...

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:20 pm

ah, rumor. but rumor with pictures!

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:25 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:I'm tempted to phone him, find out how! Very Happy

well if you can make a Youtube video of a man in a skirt given a 'golden shower' you too will make me speechless.  Saucy Wink
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:05 pm

You don't need a video, I do that to Dave's crops every night at closing time on the way home from the Duck n Muck- its why his harvest takes so long to get in Nod (and why he has the only cranberry's in the world you can get drunk on)

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by davidjoneshoward Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:46 am

Guys of all the shit PJ has given us I have to forgive some of it for this scene. Finally a really good emotional scene that doesn't sound stilted and even comparable to some of the scenes in LOTR. It's arguably the best scene in the trilogy (better than thorin's death cause there was WAY too much build up there). I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet.
davidjoneshoward
davidjoneshoward
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:05 am

Well its pretty heavy-handed, but compared to what surrounds it it shines like a diamond in the shit.
Even though its not canon its about the only scene I've seen so far that would be likely to find its way into the purist edit- frankly anything which is more Bilbo, and Bilbo focused narrative, and doesn't screw the canon, is welcome, given the state of these films.

edit add- what really amazes me is Pj had this scene for the theatrical and thought 'no, what we need is more of Legolas leaping on trolls'. What?

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by davidjoneshoward Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:12 am

edit: Never mind. This scene wasn't even in the extended edition, it was only a bonus scene, because PJ wanted to create the illusion that Bilbo eventually planted the acorn in the shire. What a waste of a fooking scene.

This video here is the same scene but with interviews talking about it at the very end

Last edited by davidjoneshoward on Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:17 am; edited 2 times in total
davidjoneshoward
davidjoneshoward
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by davidjoneshoward Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:15 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Well its pretty heavy-handed, but compared to what surrounds it it shines like a diamond in the shit.

Of course it's heavy-handed! I did say that it was a scene comparable to Lord of the Rings, didn't I?

I think Boromir's death may have been the only scene in these movies that work on a emotional/drama level, and is the least clumsy (although some people say the fight scene with Lurtz and Aragorn was pretty forced, though I personally loved it, however, I did see the lengthy confrontation of thorin and azog from AUJ before that I saw that scene, so I may just be biased)
davidjoneshoward
davidjoneshoward
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:50 am

Problem is, in the midst of battle three people having a quiet moment like that doesn't really make sense. The famous 'far green country under a swift sunrise' scene between gandalf and pippin in LotR did make sense because they were waiting for trolls to smash through a gate.

Here you have battle going on all around them, and suddenly it's all ignored. Struck me as rather ridiculous.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:57 am

Yes, the scene was beautiful as far as Bilbo having a "moment" but, it was utterly ludicrous with the 3 of them trapped in a bubble when fighting was all around them, Did they suddenly become invisible or were the cast muttering.....Bilbo's giving a speech, lets go over 'ere.......But this still backs up what I truly believe in that peejers is NOT a competent director. He couldnt produce tea out of a teabag. He cant see the wood for the trees. He's like a very bad home decorator, throws all the pretty things together & yet the front room still looks a mess. We've been blinded, dissect his work with a clear mind & you can see just how "UN-GREAT" he is !!!!

The Hobbit EE in theatres: one last one last time - Page 5 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

The Hobbit EE in theatres: one last one last time - Page 5 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:32 pm

oh for goodness sake! in the middle of a battle? It would have been better at the end of the battle when the dust is settling, but plonked there its just fake sentiment, way too similar to LOTR. Plus the acting is fake too. Its 'moving' but in the way of an acting master class rather than a real situation. I can almost hear them reading their lines from a prompter.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by davidjoneshoward Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:59 pm

For goodness sake, of course it's fake! What have you been watching throughout this trilogy that made you expect otherwise? Like petty said, "compared to what surrounds it it shines like a diamond in the shit", and he's right.

Personally, the fact that it's during a battle scene isn't bothering me a) because it actually gives us a chance to breathe, b) I'm not seeing this scene during the movie, I'm seeing it as a singular scene.

Additionally, the scene works for me because it actually characterizes Bard more in a better way we've seen in the theatrical/extended. I just wanted some notion that Dale would someday be rebuilt, and this did that for me. So although it doesn't play out quite the way it would in LOTR because PJ is a lot more careless nowadays, I will say that this scene is exactly the type of stuff that got me invested in the other movies.

Last edited by davidjoneshoward on Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
davidjoneshoward
davidjoneshoward
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:03 pm

I agree on the Bard thing particularly. Having taken the decision to introduce him earlier and give him more screen time I would have preferred a few more moments with him in this vein than what we got- just giving him a family as a cheap way to get the audience to invest some emotion, and an equally cheap narrative way to give Bard 'personal stakes'.
In my view we get a better idea of the nature and character and aspirations of Bard in the dialogue in this one scene than in all that family crap added together.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:23 pm

''For goodness sake, of course it's fake! What have you been watching throughout this trilogy that made you expect otherwise?'' DJH

you mean its not real?? you disappoint me. No
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by davidjoneshoward Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:25 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:''For goodness sake, of course it's fake! What have you been watching throughout this trilogy that made you expect otherwise?'' DJH

you mean its not real?? you disappoint me. No

??? You were the one that said it wasn't real, and I agreed with you to some degree, but I was overcome with the nostalgia and quality of the scene
davidjoneshoward
davidjoneshoward
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by davidjoneshoward Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:04 pm

Ha! This conclusion is more climactic than the end of BOFA!

davidjoneshoward
davidjoneshoward
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:01 am

I did see the acorn scene posted on another forum at some point since the digital release with bonus features. The idea of it is nice, and certainly it would've been nice to see more scenes like that in the actual movie. On the other hand, I agree with people on the previous page that having it in the middle of the battle is pretty ridiculous and so I can't really mourn its absence from the film.

davidjoneshoward wrote:For goodness sake, of course it's fake! What have you been watching throughout this trilogy that made you expect otherwise? Like petty said, "compared to what surrounds it it shines like a diamond in the shit", and he's right.

Personally, the fact that it's during a battle scene isn't bothering me a) because it actually gives us a chance to breathe, b) I'm not seeing this scene during the movie, I'm seeing it as a singular scene.

Additionally, the scene works for me because it actually characterizes Bard more in a better way we've seen in the theatrical/extended. I just wanted some notion that Dale would someday be rebuilt, and this did that for me. So although it doesn't play out quite the way it would in LOTR because PJ is a lot more careless nowadays, I will say that this scene is exactly the type of stuff that got me invested in the other movies.

I get what you're saying, but I have a hard time taking the drama seriously when you can still see people fighting and dying in the background. It's the same problem I have with the Thorin and Dain reunion scene in the actual film. Having room to breathe is a good thing, but has to come a tthe right place. I agree with what you say about Bard, though.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:04 am

davidjoneshoward wrote:Ha! This conclusion is more climactic than the end of BOFA!

Other than the video blogs from during production, I've watched very little of the behind-the-scenes stuff for The Hobbit. But I can easily believe this. Watching the final days and departures for various actors from LOTR, especially if you watched the documentaries and commentaries from the first two films, is comparably affecting to the partings at the end of the movies themselves. And I don't in any way mean that as a knock against the films.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by davidjoneshoward Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:53 am

Eldorion wrote:I get what you're saying, but I have a hard time taking the drama seriously when you can still see people fighting and dying in the background.  It's the same problem I have with the Thorin and Dain reunion scene in the actual film.  Having room to breathe is a good thing, but has to come a the right place.  I agree with what you say about Bard, though.

Well, WELL, while I can appreciate the argument that it's ridiculous that this happened during a battle scene, there could have been a reason why the orc vs human fights took place somewhere else. I'm not saying this is what the case is, but I'm reserving the judgement that it's absurd unless I know the context.
davidjoneshoward
davidjoneshoward
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next