Virtual Reality - it's not just for games and it's coming soon.

+6
azriel
bungobaggins
Ringdrotten
Mrs Figg
Pettytyrant101
Nagual
10 posters

Go down

Virtual Reality - it's not just for games and it's coming soon. Empty Virtual Reality - it's not just for games and it's coming soon.

Post by Nagual Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:31 pm

For decades Sci Fi writers, games designers, and everyone in between have dreamt of Virtual Reality. During the 80's and 90's there were many attempts at creating something that could mimic what those dreams were. All of them failed, some more than others. During the early 90's I was lucky (?) enough to attend an exhibition at Edinburghs Waverly Station that British Telecom were using to show of lots of new and exciting tech. The main attraction being VR. I walked in and donned the huge helmet which covered my entire head. Out of the back of it were various wires and cables, if Daleks had frizzy hair coming out of their heads... well you get the picture.. Next was the glove (think Minority Report with 80's fashion sense). The scenario was simple. I was standing in a bedroom, and there were various AirFix model planes hanging in the air. I could either grab one of those and throw it around or pick up a ball and bounce it around the room. I achieved none of those goals. No matter how I wiggled my gloved hand at the planes or ball I simply couldn't make the damn things move.

Fast forward to 2015. Some of you may have heard of Oculus Rift which started out as a Kickstarter project that gained so much popularity it sold out to Facebook for rather a lot of cash. Sony decided it was going to enter the fight for consumers money (well if Facebook think it's worth a billion or two it's got to be worth something) and create the Morpheus. More recently a new contender has arrived trying to grab a share of the market. HTC. Yes that's right, HTC the phone company are trying to make a Virtual Reality headset. Don't make me laugh. Only I'm not laughing. In conjunction with Valve (very big successful games company) they have made quite a stir. Everyone I know of who has been lucky enough to try a demo version of one has been amazed. Sure this was in a game. Being able to look around in a game with no motion sickness is good, but as the more astute of you may have guessed by this thread title I'm not talking about games here.

One of the demo programs / scenarios that is available for people to try out and play with, one that industry leading artists have played with is called Tilt Brush. It lets you draw in 3D space. While it's possible to do this just now using a monitor, imagine actually standing next to the person,car,cow,plane,building, or whatever it is you are drawing. Being able to walk around it. Literally walk around it. Don't worry about walking to far and bumping into your wall, as special sensors will warn you by showing a grid appear (not unlike Star Treks holodeck).

A couple of videos for your viewing entertainment:

Nagual
Nagual
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Virtual Reality - it's not just for games and it's coming soon. Empty Re: Virtual Reality - it's not just for games and it's coming soon.

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:07 pm

I may have to dust off the clasp on my sporran at some point for some virtual tech pale

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Virtual Reality - it's not just for games and it's coming soon. Empty Re: Virtual Reality - it's not just for games and it's coming soon.

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:15 am

that's pretty amazing kit. Very Happy it wont be long until we get a proper holodeck too.

keep Petty away from the Scratch-N-Sniff-O-vision though. No
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:26 am

Wow... I'm not sure I want to live in a world where I can choose to live in others, if that makes any sense scratch

Virtual Reality - it's not just for games and it's coming soon. Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:34 am

I refuse to join any world, real or virtual, that would have me as a member.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:17 am

Im lost in my own little imagination world & thats plenty enough for me, Im happy there so buggar orrrf !

Virtual Reality - it's not just for games and it's coming soon. Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Virtual Reality - it's not just for games and it's coming soon. Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:36 pm

I bet virtual reality would be highly addictive like a drug, some people would spend their lives in it. It would be like the Matrix. or the Mirror of Erised.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Nagual Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:03 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:I bet virtual reality would be highly addictive like a drug, some people would spend their lives in it. It would be like the Matrix. or the Mirror of Erised.

Certainly very possible, considering how many people have reportedly died from playing Online Games. I do think that improvements to VR, both with actual hardware and software used by it will open up 'activities' to disabled people. Given enough progress with the tech, it may even be possible to attend University Lectures anywhere in the world, that sort of thing.

The Future is Bright. The Future is Virtual. What a Face
Nagual
Nagual
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:07 pm

The future is asses spreading even wider than the telly has flattened them. Mad

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Nagual Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:11 pm

halfwise wrote:The future is asses spreading even wider than the telly has flattened them. Mad

Damn straight! No amount of tech is an excuse not to get up, out and do something like exploring the local woods, fields or ghettos.
Nagual
Nagual
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:38 pm

Hail Mary to that !

Virtual Reality - it's not just for games and it's coming soon. Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Virtual Reality - it's not just for games and it's coming soon. Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:46 pm

I struggle enough to figure this reality out, why would I want another to struggle figuring out as well ? Mad

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:01 pm

That's my feeling about religion.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:04 pm

I cant wait for VR- whole new realities to get crabbit about! cheers Twisted Evil I cant wait to get my hands on one so I can start moaning my arse off about all the ways its wrong Twisted Evil

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:06 pm

Sounds far too much work. No

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:59 am

Ugh. Here comes the next big cash cow.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:18 pm

Virtual Reality - it's not just for games and it's coming soon. Smileys-cow-027148

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:53 pm

I'm pretty excited for VR Very Happy

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:14 am

RA Shocked cheers

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:20 am

Where had you got to, RA? Not lost in a VR world, I hope. Suspect

cheers :hug: pub

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:16 am

Nah, I've been around. Smile Lurking in the shadows... Sofa

When VR does become a thing, who knows though Laughing

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down