Pettytyrant101
Amarië
17 posters

Page 39 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

Doctor Who [11] - Page 39 Empty Re: Doctor Who [11]

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:36 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:you have no case- Figg

You mean like where I can quote actual writers from the show discussing the process, and you just make something up and then claim its true with no evidence at all just because you don't like something and it fits your Moffat is BAD agenda?

you mean like you making something up and claiming its proof with concocted evidence because you don't like someone criticising moffat?

'oh dear more sub-par Doctor Who. do we know if Moffat is slinging his hook yet?'

Nothing subpar about Capaldi, I think the Telgraphs description of him is about where I'd rate him -

I thought we weren't allowed to use other peoples opinions to bolster our positions?

'Capaldi has been a great Doctor right from his first episode. Now, he excels. He has grown into the role utterly and completely. He embodies the weight of the Doctor’s responsibility; his face wears every nuanced expression with a flickering ease.'

I call him gimlet eyed and forced.

Reading between the lines of the unofficial statement in the Mirror the two hints to Moffats future seem to be Capaldi talking about a third series to complete storylines- that makes sense if Moffat has a plan to his own exit, which given the way he has planned ahead all across his tenure seems likely. And the option for Capaldi to stay another year afterwards- presumably if there was a new team taking over this would be to allow him to decide if he liked them and where they were planning on taking the show and the character.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:43 pm

you making something up and claiming its proof with concocted evidence-Figg

You cant get away with pure slander Figg- thats not on. What did I make up?- hell I put up Maithsons blog about writing his episodes on this thread- Gaimans stuff about writing can be found on his twitter feed and in the behind the scenes Doctor Who extra stuff for the episode- how is this concocting evidence?
The BBC AI figures anyone can google and read. The critical acclaim this series has received is a google search away.
So unless you can disprove all these things I will not effectively be called a liar by you.

Anyone can check what I have been saying because I am providing checkable evidence to back my argument up with.
You on the other hand have yet to produce any substantive evidence of any sort at all.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:14 pm

this is not about evidence, its about opinion. neither of us has evidence because its all subjective.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:28 pm

I have evidence- I have given that evidence and you just accused me of making it up. Which is untrue. The evidence is there for anyone to see.

And I am not making an argument of opinion, my opinion of this series (thats its very good, my favourite since series 5 probably) is not the point, or my argument.
I am arguing against the more outrageous unfounded claims being made here - that the majority of the watching audience dont like what they are watching, that the majority don't like Capaldi as the Doctor, that Moffat rewrites everyone scripts- but crucially only the bad bits, he is never accused of rewriting good episodes by other writers making them good.

None of these things are a matter of my opinion, nor have I given my opinion as my argument.
To the point about a majority disliking the show and Capaldi I provided the Official AI's recording how much people are enjoying what they are seeing- all good. The largest UK poll on what people thought of an episode on Gallifrey Base- again good. The press reaction so far- again good.
On the point of Moffat rewriting I gave the evidence of two separate writers on the show who discuss the writing process.

None of the things are my opinion- but they are evidence which gives backing to the thrust of my argument- that the majority who watch are enjoying it, that Capaldi is going down well with fans and critics alike in the majority and that the main writer of an episode in the credits is responsible for the writing, if not all the ideas.

You are the one only giving your opinion- that the show is unpopular, as is Capaldi and that Moffat is responsible for every bad line of dialogue or characterisation you don't like, even when he has no writing credit on an episode.
None of which you can back up with a shred of evidence save the anecdotal and yet more opinion.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:58 pm

you are only giving your opinion too. you have no scientific proof, its a wonder you keep on insisting that you do seeing as its obvious that you don't. to claim otherwise is spurious at best and deluded at worst. why do you keep siting random and unscientific polls made up of a fraction of the population. it just doesn't make sense.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:09 am

um...nearly all polls are made up of a fraction of the population. Statistical sampling. The only time you don't use a fraction of the population is if you are 'polling' the members of a jury or something else with a very small population.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:30 am

ok but the organisers of polls don't claim to have 'proof' do they? if they are honest they claim to have an indication or a general trend, they don't claim absolute proof as if its irrefutable fact. we all know polls can be dramatically WRONG.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:57 am

If you want to know how a population feels at a particular time, then they are very good if the sample size is large enough and proper effort has been made to get a random sample. If you are trying to predict how a population will feel at a later time (as done for election polling) then they are not good; but it's not the fault of the statistical method. It's the fallacy of saying views at one time reflect views at another time.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:24 am

they don't claim absolute proof as if its irrefutable fact. we all know polls can be dramatically WRONG.- Figg

No one is claiming they do say it is absolute proof of anything, nor am I.
All I am saying is that the available evidence backs my arguments. And that there is no equivalent evidence so indicate the opposite.

And its usually predictive polls which have increasing margins for error the further ahead in time they try to predict and which are often wrong- the weekly poll I am citing and the AI's are not predictive- they are just asking folks who have already watched an episode if they liked it or not.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:35 am

you have no scientific proof, its a wonder you keep on insisting that you do seeing as its obvious that you don't. to claim otherwise is spurious at best and deluded at worst. - Figg

We are discussing if people are enjoying the show or not.
The only measure of that is the BBC's own internal method of finding out if people are enjoying it- the AI's.
They say people in the majority are liking what they see.
That is evidence. I am not making it up. I am not lying about it. I am simply stating what is a fact- the BBC AI's for Who are good. And this is of relevance to the discussion- its perfectly legitimate evidence to cite.
Unless you know of another method sampling approx 2000 people every single week I don't see any other evidence countering that.
And when you then take into account the Galiifrey Base weekly poll- sampling another 2000 folks- and getting broadly the same results as the AI's then it seems to back up further the legitimacy of the results.
When you have two large polls, run by different people, for different reasons, saying the same things chances have what you have there is a trend. Especially when the polls are not in any way predicative but are asking about something already seen by those voting on it.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:30 am

It's Official, David Tennant and Catherine Tate reprising their roles for Big Finish 10th Doctor Audio Dramas

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who-the-tenth-doctor-adventures

David Tennant is returning as the Tenth Doctor alongside Catherine Tate as his companion Donna Noble in three Doctor Who Audio Dramas!

David Tennant portrayed the Doctor on screen from 2005 until 1 January 2010, returning to play alongside Matt Smith and John Hurt in the 50th Anniversary special The Day of the Doctor in 2013. Catherine Tate made her debut as Donna in December 2006, and after a series and two festive specials she made her last appearance alongside David on 1 January 2010. Their on-screen partnership is generally regarded as one of the great high-points of the enduring science fiction phenomenon.

'I still remember the sense of joy I had when I heard that David had been asked to play the Doctor,' says Big Finish executive producer Jason Haigh-Ellery. 'We were all so pleased for him — as we knew how much Doctor Who meant to him. And now David comes full circle, back doing Doctor Who with Big Finish — except that this time he’s playing the Doctor! It’s the same but different — it’s wonderful to have him back!'

The series opens with Doctor Who – The Tenth Doctor Adventures: Technophobia by Matt Fitton, which is set in a London slightly in the future, where mankind is gradually losing its ability to use everyday technology. Could there be an evil force at work?

In Doctor Who – The Tenth Doctor Adventures: Time Reaver by Jenny T Colgan the Doctor and Donna arrive on Calibris - ‘An entirely mechanical planet. Catch, hitch, fuel, fix, buy, pretty much any kind of transportation in existence.’ It’s also a world full of scoundrels, where a deadly black market has opened up in a device known only as the Time Reaver.

Finally, in Doctor Who – The Tenth Doctor Adventures: Death and the Queen by James Goss, Donna is swept along in a fairytale romance and meets the man of her dreams in the beautiful land of Goritania. What can possibly go wrong? And why has the Doctor never heard of Goritania?

'I’ve enjoyed working with all the Doctors on TV, but David is on the only one I’d known before he became the Doctor,' says executive producer Nicholas Briggs. 'I’d worked with him on our Dalek Empire series for Big Finish and had such fun. So along with the excitement of directing new Tenth Doctor adventures, I’m so happy to be working with an old chum again.'

Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor Adventures is produced by David Richardson, script edited by Matt Fitton and James Goss and directed by Nicholas Briggs.

'This is one of those dream projects where I’ve spent months pinching myself. I’m covered in bruises,’ says David. ‘With two major international stars in place, and the legacy of this era of the TV show to live up to, we’ve worked our socks off to try and make some very special stories for this box set. Expect adventure, fun, scares... and some tears too.'

Doctor Who – The Tenth Doctor Adventures will be released in May 2016 - exclusively on the Big Finish website. Each of the three titles are available to pre-order separately today for just £10.99 on CD or £8.99 to download. A bundle of all three titles is also available for £25 on CD and £22 to download!
All three stories are also available in the Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor Adventures Volume 1 – Limited Edition set. Limited to just 5,000 copies and available exclusively from bigfinish.com, and the lavish book-sized box set includes exclusive artwork, photography, articles and a one-hour documentary featuring interviews with the stars and production team. You can pre-order the set today at the special price of £30 on CD or £25 to download – offering a £5 discount against the standard price!!
A whole universe of further Doctor Who releases are also available from Big Finish, with upcoming productions featuring John Hurt's War Doctor, Alex Kingston as River Song and Jemma Redgrave leading the forces of UNIT. You can preview all of these new releases on the range page here.

Doctor Who [11] - Page 39 The_tenth_doctor_cover_medium

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:50 pm

now that IS good news!!! cheers Razz flower sunny cheers I love those two!

If ONLY! it was for real and on tv I would be made up.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:33 pm

Nice to see it officially confirmed- hopefully though its not just a one off box set series but just the start of NUWho on BF- in which case I can hope for a return of 11, Amy and Rory as well as a future 12 BF cheers
Hell I might even like 10 more- Donna is still one of my all time favourite companions, but 10 under RTD was pretty damn tedious and whiney by the end- hopefully new writers will bring the character back to life.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:44 pm

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

It's like we can't get a single page without one or other of the two warring parties complaining about one while simultaneously praising the other.

Just be happy that it's more Doctor Who dammit!!! Extremely Crabbit Extremely Crabbit Extremely Crabbit

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:51 pm

Ah, I recognize that feeling. Very Happy

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:14 pm

Hey you don't get into the Who thread unless your prepared to take and throw some punches. Its a Who thread! Thats what great about Figg, Eru bless her, facts be damned she will scrap her views out to the bitter end. Nod Now that's to be admired cheers (And obviously infuriated by too Banghead )

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:12 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Nice to see it officially confirmed- hopefully though its not just a one off box set series but just the start of NUWho on BF

Well, it does say Volume 1 Suspect bounce (considering how crazy people are going on their facebook page about this announcement, I feel safe in assuming they have already made plans for more audios to follow...Tennant can't have been cheap and I have little doubt he would love to do more)

in which case I can hope for a return of 11, Amy and Rory as well as a future 12 BF

It's worth noting they've (currently) got the rights for New Who from Rose-Time of The Doctor so if Smith was able/willing to do the audios there is nothing stopping them from theoretically doing so (There's actually a 9,10 and 11 story in the upcoming Churchill boxset, but I think it's being narrated by other actors), but Smith's only been gone 2 years and I don't think it's long enough for anyone to get nostalgic about him (he seems very keen to distant himself from Who at the moment anyway), since Capaldi is still travelling with Clara I think making 11 audios too soon would run the risk of undermining Capaldi a little...Smith isn't a particular favourite of mine but he has tonnes of gaps for new adventures...I suppose at least on audio I wouldn't have to deal with his endless hand flapping and 'funny' body language Laughing

I'm still surprised they persuaded John Hurt...

Hell I might even like 10 more- Donna is still one of my all time favourite companions, but 10 under RTD was pretty damn tedious and whiney by the end- hopefully new writers will bring the character back to life.

Donna is my favourite New Who companion, but Tennant is i.m.o one of the least interesting Doctors...so I'm on the fence about this announcement personally...

I'd be more interested in new companions for Tennant-maybe pared with a male alien during his 'Specials Year'

If they some how managed to persuade Eccleston to sign up that would be much more exciting i.m.o...

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:03 pm

Oh I was envisioning 11 stories somewhere down the line, at least 5 years ideally about 10.
But its set the precedent for NuWho to follow Classic on BF.

Moffat on the sonic sunglasses (HEAR! HEAR! I say! cheers )

"I love the fact that people have risen up in anger over the sonic screwdriver,” he said, “God knows how that lot would have got on when they introduced regeneration, or that Time Lords have two hearts.”

“As of now every kid with glasses is Doctor Who! Kid whose parents don’t want to shell out for a Sonic Screwdriver toy, just put on a pair of sunglasses, you’re Doctor Who! And best of all, every pin-brained celebrity walking into a party with shades on is now cosplaying Doctor Who!”

“If it pricks the pomposity of uber celebs and turns an eye defect into a super power and confers star-magic on an old pair of sunglasses, what could be more Doctor Who than that?”

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:38 pm

God, I not sure I've read a comment from Moffat yet where he doesn't come across as smarmy and self satisfied. No

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:48 pm

That seems a very mean-spirited reading considering the sentiments it contains.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:04 pm

I'm sorry, it's just that the thought of the most self satisfied man in television calling anyone out, uber celebrities or anyone else, make me cringe.

Particularily when it's part of praising his own ideas. :facepalm:

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:13 pm

He is not praising his own idea- he is praising why he did it- and quite right in the face of folk consistently moaning about it and berating it- and it probably really annoys the division of BBC worldwide that sells overpriced sonic screwdrivers- and thats a win for me- any kid can grab a pair of old sunglasses and be the Doctor- thats a great reason for doing it- a good enough reason in and of itself Id say. And as he says- its very much in the spirit of the show itself- thats not taking credit for himself- its giving credit to the spirit of a show bigger than anyone himself included. I hear a lifelong fan talking.

He is also right to point out that todays moaning fans couldn't have taken classic when showrunners invented huge things out of nowhere like Timelords and the Doctor having two hearts. Gallifrey. Or despite not having heard of him for over a decade of TV the Doctor has a life long friend called the Master out of nowhere who is his arch-enemy.
Its not even like the screwdriver hasn't been dumped before- they dumped it for 5's run.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:14 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:He is not praising his own idea- he is praising why he did it-

Yeah, that makes all the difference. :facepalm:

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:15 pm

And pushing kids before him in his conflict with his critics..

This only gets worse the more you think about it. No

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:16 pm

Yeah, that makes all the difference.- Blue

Yeah it does when you attribute that to the show itself, not yourself- makes all the difference in the world in fact- unless your looking for reasons to turn a nice sentiment into an attack of course because you have an odd dislike for a person based solely on their writing of a tv show and a few press interviews.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 39 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next