Handbag

Handbag
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Game of Thrones [2] - Page 9 Empty Re: Game of Thrones [2]

Post by Eldorion Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:51 pm

Lancebloke wrote:The Boltons in the book are bit evil... only really Ramsay who seems a bit mental. Roose actually begins to turn Theon back to being The on in the way he treats him.

Roose "don't make me regret the day I raped your mother" Bolton is a "bit evil"? One of the leading perpetrators of the Red Wedding too.

He's not as bad as Ramsay but that's a really, really low bar. Certainly quite competent, though.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:57 pm

Roose is ruthless but logical, so will be a team player when the benefits are there. Ramsey doesn't even have logic holding him back, and is cruel for its own sake.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:51 pm

I like what they have done with the Melisandre character in the show. Normally a woman like her would have been burnt at the stake, but in GOT its she who is doing the burning at the stake bit. She is the archetypal sexy witch, the type of woman men in the 19th century turned into femme fatales and decadent goddesses of sex and death. The type of woman most likely to have not survived very long in small villages, but here she is powerful and part of Stannis's court. I like they turned it on its head for a change and don't seem to be judging her. She just does her thing.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:27 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:I like what they have done with the Melisandre character in the show. Normally a woman like her would have been burnt at the stake, but in GOT its she who is doing the burning at the stake bit. She is the archetypal sexy witch, the type of woman men in the mid-20th century turned into femme fatales and decadent goddesses of sex and death. The type of woman most likely to have not survived very long in small villages, but here she is powerful and part of Stannis's court. I like they turned it on its head for a change and don't seem to be judging her. She just does her thing.
Fixed that for you! Smile

If by "they" we mean the show creators, than I think Melisandre is being judged. She just convinced the king to burn his daughter alive and she has always been set up in opposition to Davos, one of the shows good-good characters. Her birthing scene in season 3 or whatever was an abominable event of black magic. She does her thing in the same way that Ramsay does his thing: because noone seems up to stopping her.

I do agree about the inversion of the "witch burning at the stake" to "witch burning others at the stake." It's an amusing switcharoo thematically if viewed from a distance. Unfortunately it's in Game of Thrones, but oh well.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:53 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:What exactly are they complaining about here?

That in this show where they go out of their way to sexualize everything, often in a problematic fashion, they went out of their way to desexualize what seems their favoured female protagonist.

But I guess one shouldn't complain, they could always have dragged her out of her own storyline and sent her halfway across the Seven Kingdoms to enter into a marriage that benefits her in no way just so they could rape her for extra shock value.. Rolling Eyes

I want to know when there will be a time where I can think about Sansa’s storyline in Season 5 without feeling physically sick.

Because it’s not just the lack of logic to get her there, the rape for shock value, her abuse that only existed to service other characters, the way they sexed her up as she lay covered in bruises, the way they stripped away everything essential to her character, the fact that the only person she stood up to was her abuser’s girlfriend because her assertions of agency couldn’t actually provide tangible benefits or else Theon couldn’t be the one to save her.

No. It was that on multiple occasions D&D had Sansa assert herself, only to then pull the rug out from under her and knock her down a peg. IT was how her “I am Sansa Stark of Winterfell” was nothing more than a cruel jape, and done for shock-value to make her rape all the more horrifying. It’s that everything about her plotline was D&D’s conscious effort to manipulate and exploit the audience, and to do so with a misogynistic narrative.

Fuck that. It’s never going to be okay.
http://gotgifsandmusings.tumblr.com/post/122811256217/i-want-to-know-when-there-will-be-a-time-where-i

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:50 pm

''That in this show where they go out of their way to sexualize everything, often in a problematic fashion, they went out of their way to desexualize what seems their favoured female protagonist. ''

But they don't though, that's my point. Can you name me One of the major characters they have deliberately sexualised? The only one could be Dany, but she was sexualised in the books, or rather she was the subject of sexual activity and nakedness whether she liked it or not, and that was a legitimate part of her story, ie the fact she was her brothers victim to begin with. Non of the main characters are sexualised. secondary characters engage in sex, but that's not the same thing. They are confusing the nakedness and the sex for sexualisation, and that's something entirely different. I find the statement ''they go out of their way to sexualise everything'' rather immature.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:14 pm

Nakedness and sex is definitively sexual.
scratch

To sexualise is to make naked and sexual.

Therefore, Sam, Tyrion, Sansa (but with rape), Danaerys, half of the female extras in the show, the two Dornish types from last season (the bisexual ones or something), Melisandre, Podrick, and various other characters have been sexualized in the show where before they had either not been, or not to the same degree.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:48 pm

they haven't been sexualised. they have had sex. which is normal human behaviour methinks. It could be argued that there is a lot of gratuitous nudity and scenes in brothels in particular with Oberyn, but that was part of his character. he was sexual but not sexualised, because that implies that its forcing him to be a certain way just for the sake of shocking the audience. The various prostitutes on the show were just doing their jobs. I can only think of Dany as being somewhat sexualised on the show, with gratuitous boobies etc. Melisandre uses sex to control Stannis that doesn't mean she is sexualised, its part of her power thing.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:02 am

I think were at a difference of definitions here. I have to say I agree with Forest. Those things are part of the sexualization of the story in the show. I can see where you're coming from though, Figg. Although I feel there's a fair bit of sexualization in the show even uner your narrower definition. More importantly they seem to have consciously avoided that with Cersei. Not only avoided, but excised a part of her character from the books.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:20 am

some people seem to be talking as if showing people being sexual on the show is a bad thing. I also don't think the Sansa thing is offensive either in the context of being married to a Bolton. that was never going to work out well.

''It It’s that everything about her plotline was D&D’s conscious effort to manipulate and exploit the audience, and to do so with a misogynistic narrative.''

this person should rethink watching the show if they cant get past their determination to cast D&D as villains. its a bit silly to call them misogynist when they have contributed to some of the most incredible positive female characters to be found anywhere on tv or film.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:29 am

I'm sorry, the idea that the depiction of sex in a show that has a boob quota, popularized the term sexposition and has HBO employees who makes sure the directors have the perv side of the audience in mind is somehow normal and everyday is rather farfetched to me. Shrugging

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:43 am

Someone shared this article which I found interesting in the context of Game of Thrones having no female directiors or writers for this last and the coming season.

Hearing that women make a difference in game development is one thing, seeing what it means in practice is another. Recently, David Gaider—lead writer on the Dragon Age franchise—posted a blog about how having women on his writing team affected something in Dragon Age 3.

The team was having a peer review about the game, and it seemed as if everything about a certain plot point was fine. Then, someone spoke up. A woman. The plot point, she argued, could easily be seen as a form of rape. Everyone became stunned—not because she was off-base, but because she was right. She was right, even though the writer didn't intend the scene to come off way, even though the team considers itself to be progressive.

In this case, it was not a long trip for the person playing through the plot to see what was happening at a slightly different angle, and it was no longer good-creepy. It was bad-creepy. It was discomforting and not cool at all. And this female writer was not alone. All the other women at the table nodded their heads, and had noted the same thing in their critiques.

What's curious about the team of writers on Dragon Age 3 is that it is primarily composed of women. Which leads Gaider to ask: what would have happened if that wasn't the case? Had the team been mostly guys—which isn't uncommon—would the scene have gone in? Gaider thinks so.

And this thought occurred as well: if this had been a team with no female perspective present, it would have gone into the game that way. Had that female writer been the lone woman, would her view have been disregarded as an over-reaction? A lone outlier? How often does that happen on game development teams, ones made up of otherwise intelligent and liberal guys who are then shocked to find out that they inadvertently offended a group that is quickly approaching half of the gaming audience?

Still, crisis averted, as Gaider says. Still, this example seems important in light of recent controversy surrounding the devastating things women in game development have to suffer just to be a part of this hobby we all love so much. They have to go through these things, even though they can often make our games better.

It makes me wonder, too—how many creepy sex things in games have occurred because there wasn't a woman on the team that dared to speak up? Maybe you don't know what I'm talking about, but there are quite a few creepy sex scenes or things with awful sexual undertones that sneak their way into games. Things that I doubt were intended to be uncomfortable, or if they are purposefully that way, the intention is not worthwhile/good enough to warrant potentially triggering someone.

I think, for instance, of the Madison Paige's nightmare in Heavy Rain, where she is running away from an assailant in her own home. I think of how a different Bioware game, Mass Effect 2, has you "fixing" Jack—a character with PTSD—by having sex with her while she cries. I think of Quantic Dream's recent Kara video, where a female android begs a man to stop dissembling her.

Maybe these situations seem thrilling, seem beautiful, seem awe-inspiring. Or, they might seem disgusting. It depends, but it's not a stretch for either to be true. Would you realize it without someone telling you that was the case, without having, for one second, some empathy for the sensitivities of another human being?

Regardless of how absurd it might seem, sometimes it does take a woman to notice something is off. Hopefully development studios take this fact to heart.
http://kotaku.com/5964700/you-can-thank-women-for-dragon-age-3s-lack-of-creepy-sex-plot

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:45 am

Tie that in with Alex Graves "consensual by the end" comment..

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:49 am

I don't need to even follow that link to get where it's going to go.

Oh good, I read it and it's about Jaime and Cersei. No big deal.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:07 pm

Bluebottle wrote:I'm sorry, the idea that the depiction of sex in a show that has a boob quota, popularized the term sexposition and has HBO employees who makes sure the directors have the perv side of the audience in mind is somehow normal and everyday is rather farfetched to me. Shrugging

so on that basis, if D&D are sexists for depicting rape, D&D must be psychopaths for depicting violence onscreen.?
The boob count started from season 1. nobody seemed to be complaining then. Also I find it hypocritical of people to call D&D sexists when in season one another innocent girl was forced into marriage and sex with a brutal husband. That was Dany. nobody cried sexism then as I recall, but its the same storyline. The only thing that changed was Dany's rape was in the book and Sansa's wasn't. the same thing happened to them, or was Dany's forced marriage and violation acceptable because it was in the book?
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:27 pm

I remember a lot of people criticizing the gratuitous nudity in season 1. For example, the word "sexposition" was invented to describe that scene where Littlefinger gave his backstory to two prostitutes who were making out in front of him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexposition
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:49 pm

theres a difference between the complaint of too many boobies and the complaint of sexism.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:20 pm

Do any of you believe the grave digger or Cleganebowl theories?

It seems contrary to the narrative aesthetic that Martin and the show runners have established. Resurrecting Jon seems to go against this as well. The people we like are killed and/or never seen again, the bad guys win, etc. These things don't seem to gel with everything that's come before.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:47 pm

well in Jon's case he is a very important character and has been central from day one, so it seems more than just wishful thinking to bring him back. I am not personally bothered about Jon as a character, but I think he an essential part of the story and it didn't make any sense to kill him. I think they needed a massive cliffhanger for the next season and for a marketing strategy it certainly works to have a major character in an ambiguous ending. We don't know if he was totally dead as a doornail at the end because his eyes were open.
As for The Hound, as much as I loved the character I think Cleganebowl is wishful thinking. I miss him as part of the rich tapestry and he was a cool dude, and in the book he may actually be alive, but I don't think they will bring him back, although they may give us hints as he was so popular in the show.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:17 pm

I wonder if the high sparrow could even throw a wrench in Cersei's trial by combat plan, rendering Robert Strong useless.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:37 pm

As much as I would like the Cleganebowl to happen, I don't really expect it too. Would be a little too neat. But as far as weird ASOIAF theories go it's not totally into the realm of tinfoil.

Resurrecting Jon, on the other hand, I'm pretty confident is going to happen. There's been a fair bit of foreshadowing for it, particularly with the warging stuff in the books, and Martin has done fake-out deaths before (including Davos in AFFC and most notoriously Arya at the Red Wedding in ASOS). But a lot of stuff depends on whether Martin wants the series to end with one of the audience-favorites on top (though of course traumatized and wounded by everything that happened) or if he wants one of the more evil characters to win. Tonally that will have an effect.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:08 pm

some of the bad guys tend to get a satisfying comeuppance on the show, I think Martin will ultimately go down the conventional goodies win in the end, albeit scarred for life and world weary. the last time I saw a film or book where the good side didnt win, it left me feeling pissed off, people need the feel good factor, or they feel cheated. If you have ever read Captain Corellis Mandolin you will know what I mean. I threw that fucking book through a window I was so frustrated and angry at the ending. Mad great book shit ending.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:02 am

And crappy movie with a good ending. Laughing

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:53 am

Laughing yeah that film was pants.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24 ... 40  Next