Mrs Figg
Pettytyrant101
halfwise
Ringdrotten
malickfan
18 posters

Page 13 of 25 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 19 ... 25  Next

Go down

Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 13 Empty Re: Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe

Post by halfwise Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:55 pm

Satellite shows a not completely overclouded north-east.  Did people see the total eclipse there?  We only got 75% where I am.

EDIT: meant North-West

Last edited by halfwise on Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 13 Empty Re: Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe

Post by Eldorion Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:57 pm

Graduate student orientation was this morning and at noon there was a free lunch on McKeldin Mall (big grassy space, not a shopping area; halfy would know it). There were a number of people with eclipse glasses but I didn't have any, plus it was really humid so I was more concerned with eating quickly and leaving for somewhere with A/C. Razz There was still a little bit of eclipse left when I got home though and my dad showed me the pinhole camera setup he and my stepmom used.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:04 pm

Before my time big tanker trucks full of beer would pull up on McKeldin Mall before each game, paid for by the university.  Did not provide the school with a good reputation, so it eventually started spending money on academics instead.  Don't remember a free lunch being there, but I was a graduate student, and grad students are often ivory-towered from campus life.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:23 am

I was on a plane over central Oregon for the eclipse. Partial eclips and partial cloud cover, but everything below us turned smokey red. After the eclipse the Oregon freeways came to a standstill and I became trapped in Portland OR. Trains were sold out with lines of 200 or more for most trains. ( I finally figured out I could buy a business class ticket online and get to the front of the line [ also internet]. The train is running more than two hours late, but at least I've escaped Portland!!!! On the train now. The mood is festive, but the line to the dining car is 3 cars long and I thing they're already sold out of beer. Mad Hoping to get home before midnight. The adventure continues! :carrot:

Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 13 1280px-Male_kodiak_bear_face  Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 13 UJpDi Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 13 Mumbea10
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:31 am

Still a cool vantage point for an eclipse. I'm assuming you weren't thinking about the eclipse when you planned the trip or you might have avoided all this and been in position for the full eclipse.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:08 pm

Yes, it wasn't originally in my plans, but when I realized what was happening I decided to go with it.  My brother who was at home on the cranberry bogs reports that the sky was clear until the eclipse started, then the sudden temp drop crossed below the dew point and a swirling mist suddenly appeared. He had his full selection of welder's filters, so he kept switching to lighter and lighter filters as he watched the eclipse progress and the mist thicken. And of course as the sun returned the mists vanished as if they'd never been there. Maybe not perfect for an astronomy nerd, but maybe even cooler for a meteorology nerd, and spookily atmospheric!

Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 13 1280px-Male_kodiak_bear_face  Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 13 UJpDi Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 13 Mumbea10
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:23 pm

That's a great meteorology story! I didn't notice any temperature drop here as we went to 75%, but buildings retain a lot of heat to radiate, and we're surrounded by them!

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:05 pm

Also, not everybody's fortunate enough to live in a bog. Nod

David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:27 am

Yep, should be close to saturation much of the time....if you call that fortunate.

Did you know that rain forests actually pump out more water vapor per area than the equivalent surface of ocean right next to them?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:32 am

Tomorrow (Friday) the Cassini probe will end its decades-long mission, plunging into Saturn after a series of dives through the gap between Saturn and its rings. Many scientists have devoted their lives to this one mission, and must be awfully misty-eyed. The decision to plunge it into the planet itself was made after the discovery that Enceladus and Titan both featured conditions that could foster life. Rather than risk contaminating these moons with some hardy terrestrial microbes in the unlikely chance of a collision, Cassini will sacrifice itself in a final death dive into the mists of Saturn, sending data all the way down. Sad

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/ (best look at it today, where this is the feature film)

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:29 am

Sad Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 13 Dd57 Sad

David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:54 pm

i believe that aliens made the circles
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:36 pm

{{{ Annual Intergalatic Etch-a-Sketch Contest Nod }}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:51 pm

{{Drunken Scotshobbits crawling around in circles in the field at night Suspect Mad }}

David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:04 pm

Razz

Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 13 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 13 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:13 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/cdf1c2c8-ab4a-3c10-8e8c-a6bb94054bf4/ss_dark-energy-may-not-exist.html

This makes me very happy. Einstein's gravity had been distorted on cosmological scales to match observations; but those calculations were based on a uniform mass distribution. Using the current understanding of cosmic tendrils and sheets, the cosmological expansion can be made to fit the observations without using dark energy. Though the authors are being cautious, in my bones I feel this is the correct explanation, and one big mystery has been solved.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:03 pm

An even better explanation.  It's a sad statement on Cosmos magazine that Newsweek does such a better job of covering cosmology.

http://www.newsweek.com/dark-energy-exist-einstein-general-relativity-630260?utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=yahoo_news&utm_campaign=rss-related&utm_content=/rss/yahoous/news

This captures the perils of simplifying assumptions that get embedded into scientific culture.  I don't know how many of you would realize what a big thing it is that the dark energy paradigm, one of the biggest mysteries of the last few decades, be overthrown just by using an obviously more accurate calculational technique. It suggests many mysteries may be solved by re-examing old assumptions with better computing power.   I'm sort of hoping dark matter falls as well, but there's several lines of independent evidence supporting that, so I'm not counting on it.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:18 am

Cool! That makes me happy too! Although I understand completely why Einstein chose to start from the assumption of a bland homogeneous cosmos, this new cosmos with shapes and structures seems far more interesting :carrot: :carrot:

David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:02 am

It's not space-related, but I was reading a thread on reddit, and came across something that I do not remember ever thinking about and that really blew my mind.

If you shuffle a regular deck of cards, you will almost certainly be holding an arrangement of the cards that has never existed before, and will never exist again.

Spoiler:

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:22 am

This may have been linked in the Reddit thread but I enjoy this discussion of all the things that could happen in the time it takes to shuffle a deck of cards 52! times at the rate of one complete shuffle every second. Razz

https://czep.net/weblog/52cards.html

Think I heard it discussed on QI initially but went and found the original page later.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:34 pm

Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 13 B5jQpn2

All that money and training and they are still held on by just hooks and ropes...

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:16 pm

Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 13 KNNvwuD

Shocked

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:18 pm

Really makes you think about our place in the universe.

large image:
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:31 pm

Eldorion wrote:Really makes you think about our place in the universe.

large image:

No matter how many times I see that it always makes me laugh...not entirely sure why he'd want to watch though.

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:05 am

{{Always thought God was a bit oddly obsessed with sex given he invented it! }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 25 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 19 ... 25  Next