Mrs Figg
Pettytyrant101
halfwise
Ringdrotten
malickfan
18 posters

Page 3 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14 ... 25  Next

Go down

Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 3 Empty Re: Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe

Post by bungobaggins Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:54 pm

Very cool. Very Happy

Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 3 7C2GfIF

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 3 Empty Re: Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe

Post by malickfan Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:56 pm

bungobaggins wrote:

Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 3 7C2GfIF

Laughing

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:07 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:
Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 3 _84270464_p_lorri_fullframe_color_zps1mgqu7jb

NASA promise more to come as it passes much closer by!

Looks cold, barren and Earthy, but more substantial than the moon (obviously as the moon has no atmosphere it's 'dead' anyway but Pluto just looks more interesting), one of the reasons I started this thread was out of ignorance of knowledge about the solar system, I'd basically pictured Pluto as a big ball of of icy weirdness...

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:30 pm

New pictures coming in right now-

Pluto up close-

Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 3 _84298501_7ef5f2ce-e1f4-4888-9bfb-c705a42142c6_zpsh4nkxkwc

and its moon Charon-

Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 3 _84298386_84298385_zpsw0yzdfnk

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:23 pm

Looks a rocky terrain ? I had an uncle that looked like that after smallpox. And the dark patch at the top of Charon looks a substantial 'ding'

Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 3 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 3 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:56 am

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2015/07/15/reality-check-trip-to-pluto-costs-less-than-vikings-stadium

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:25 pm

Mt. Fuji as seen from the International Space Station.

Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 3 Tumblr_nkvjleN1SQ1s1vn29o1_1280
http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/view.php?id=39099

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:30 pm

Damn that's a beautiful (and slighty creepy, without the all the clouds/atmosphere and stuff blocking the view makes me feel kinda exposed) photo!

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:29 am

Agreed, that's a great photograph. I'd never realized just how (relatively) smooth and uniform Mount Fuji is before, but seeing it next to those mountains in the background (which look a lot more typical for mountains) really drives it home.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:28 am

https://i.imgur.com/xsGJKS1.gifv

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:31 am

whoooooo dizzy now!
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:40 pm

Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 3 LA8E47l

This dash cam footage taken in Kanchanaburi Province, Thailand on the morning of September 7, 2015 shows a huge fireball shooting through the sky. It was not immediately known what caused it..
Deputy Director of National Astronomical Research Institute of Thailand, told CNN that the object appeared to burn up about 100 kilometers (62 miles) above the ground, and that it was likely only a few kilograms in size: “It looks like an asteroid traveling to Earth and grazing through the air, and it turned into a fireball.”

If you aren’t aware, fireballs are still meteors, this is just a special sub-class for meteors. Meteors are bits of rock or dust that enter Earth’s atmosphere and catch fire. We see them as “shooting stars.” Meteorites, on the other hand, are meteors that survive the trip through our atmosphere and smash into the ground.

To bridge the gap, NASA has designated a “fireball” as being a meteor with a visual magnitude in excess of -3. For the most part, even meteors that are bright enough to be classed as fireballs aren’t large enough to make it through the Earth’s atmosphere intact. Instead, they burn up (are totally incinerated) as the descend through the atmosphere. That said, there are some smaller fireballs that sometimes reach the surface.

If you are wondering about the specific sizes, a fireball meteor will generally start when the meteor is at least 1 meter in size.

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:45 pm

wow Shocked

Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 3 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:00 pm

Shocked crikey
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:52 am

Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 3 Daily_gifdump_907_08

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:02 pm

Beautiful and terrifying all at once. The sheer power and scale, yet so beautiful to behold.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:44 am

Blood moon eclipse, if you have missed it!

Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 3 Tumblr_n44cqueGyO1sniu4co1_500

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:11 pm

Should have posted this earlier. Big press conference at NASA: liquid water has been found on mars, in hydrated perchlorates. Basically really briny water, in large damp patches. This shoots up the possibility of life on mars.

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:19 pm

halfwise wrote:Should have posted this earlier.  Big press conference at NASA: liquid water has been found on mars, in hydrated perchlorates.  Basically really briny water, in large damp patches.  This shoots up the possibility of life on mars.

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html

Great news! Smile

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:33 pm

Thanks Blue, Yes, Im one of those who couldnt see it, It is lovely ! Life on Mars ? I think David Bowie will have something to say about that ?

still a tune !!

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:48 pm

It ain't the kinda place to raise your kids, though

Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 3 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:53 pm

AND, its cold as ice !!

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:41 pm

Pack your bags kiddos! We're heading for Mars! alien

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Nagual Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:05 pm

Bucket and Spade.
Nagual
Nagual
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:15 pm

Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14 ... 25  Next