Mrs Figg
Pettytyrant101
halfwise
Ringdrotten
malickfan
18 posters

Page 14 of 25 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 19 ... 25  Next

Go down

Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 14 Empty Re: Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe

Post by halfwise Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:46 pm

I think where the problem came from is "though shalt not prod celibate priests to contemplate sex", though protestants seem to be more sex averse than catholics.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 14 Empty Re: Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:24 pm

I see someone's been Norcing the Space thread...

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:53 pm

Did you notice this, Dave?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/nasa-says-fireball-shook-washington-143915095.html

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:17 pm

Forest Shepherd wrote:I see someone's been Norcing the Space thread...

halfy's software is going awol..
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:35 pm

Hey! I think it's pretty clear that Eldo forked the present Norcing.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:52 pm

halfwise wrote:Did you notice this, Dave?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/nasa-says-fireball-shook-washington-143915095.html

Wow, I actually think I may have seen that! Shocked Shocked
It was overcast and drizzly Wednesday night, but when I was out feeding my horse there was a large FLASH/BOOM! that I took to be lightning/thunder. Neither the horse nor I gave it a second thought. That was probably a little after 9pm I think, and the direction seemed to be maybe north and a little west of us [?] Do you have a way to get a time and Lat/Lon on that meteor?

Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 14 1280px-Male_kodiak_bear_face  Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 14 UJpDi Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 14 Mumbea10
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:02 pm

Do you have a way to get a time and Lat/Lon on that meteor?

Not me. I suggest combing the local newspapers, they've probably pestered the right people. Most likely seen on air traffic control radars. I suppose weather radar may have picked it up too, but my favorite historical radar viewer site has been taken down, a big loss.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:36 pm

http://katu.com/news/local/bright-light-loud-boom-reported-in-grays-harbor-county-washington

Yep, that's the right location, though it was apparently at 7:30 rather than 9ish as I'd remembered.  I guess that makes sense now that I think back (feeding the horse before dinner rather than after).
 As I said, the horse and I said "Huh....that was weird....hadn't expected lightning tonight..... wonder if it's gonna hail on us now....Mad  "

When it didn't hail, we moved on to the more important issues like filling our respective bellies. :carrot:

Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 14 1280px-Male_kodiak_bear_face  Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 14 UJpDi Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 14 Mumbea10
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:34 am

I just talked to somebody who lives 10 miles north of here. He was inside and heard the BOOM so he called 911 to report an explosion. He said he was thinking it might have been a meth lab explosion, but the 911 operator told him that they were getting swamped with calls from across the county.

David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:58 am

Exploding meth labs are not uncommon? And people think the city is dangerous, sheesh.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:21 am

NASA’s Webb Observatory Requires More Time for Testing and Evaluation; New Launch Window Under Review.

Dam, was looking forward to this. 2 more years to wait now Sad

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-s-webb-observatory-requires-more-time-for-testing-and-evaluation-new-launch

Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 14 Jwst_artist_concept_0

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:39 am

{{Damn thats a pity! Still better it works than they rush it up there to find it doesn't I suppose. }}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:52 pm

Looks like an anti-aircraft gun strapped onto a hang glider, all dressed up for a parade! Razz

The Hubble images have been so amazing, and that's only looking at pinpricks of sky at a time. Another like it would be great.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:30 am

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:19 pm

I think a few puffs of pipe-weed would go very well with that video!

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:04 am

Good old Toby Smile

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Tue May 01, 2018 3:21 am

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue May 01, 2018 8:46 am

I didn't remember Cassini has a lander! Shocked

Great video. Need to find something about the last data as it dived into Saturn.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue May 01, 2018 8:49 am

This shows some pictures but I really want the final video.

https://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/news/3119/cassini-spacecraft-makes-its-final-approach-to-saturn/

This seems to be as close as we'll get: https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/video/details.php?id=1501

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Wed May 16, 2018 10:27 pm

Can you guess what it is yet?

Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 14 20180511
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Wed May 16, 2018 11:26 pm

Looks like the dot on the tv. You might have to be a certain age to remember that.

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu May 17, 2018 2:52 am

Looks like a solar system but I'm thinking it probably isn't.

Lancebloke wrote:Can you guess what it is yet?

Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 14 20180511

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Thu May 17, 2018 7:12 am

Halfy - your guess is the closest out of the 2!
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu May 17, 2018 1:52 pm

Actually it looks closer to moons circling a planet, all lit up by the sun with the contrast jacked up. 4 moons: must Jupiter's Galilean moons.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Thu May 17, 2018 2:46 pm

Good job!

They were actually far clearer on my telescope... the contrast issue was just my phone trying to capture them through the eyepiece!

Getting a new eyepiece tomorrow so hopefully can get some better pics!
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 25 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 19 ... 25  Next