halfwise
Eldorion
Bluebottle
Mrs Figg
Pettytyrant101
20 posters

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

Just...................whatever [5] - Page 37 Empty Re: Just...................whatever [5]

Post by halfwise Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:39 am

It all looks perfect, I don't understand why points keep being subtracted.

Oh, the grader wants the orders to be reversed. Stupid git. Somebody needs to explain that both 'column major' and 'row major' are used in real life.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Just...................whatever [5] - Page 37 Empty Re: Just...................whatever [5]

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:00 am

...what?

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:19 am

I didn't know you were homeschooled, Forest.  Or maybe I just forgot.  Brofist either way. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:55 am

Cool

All six of my siblings too! My mother was quite the slave to our education.  Wink

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:28 pm

Forest Shepherd wrote:...what?

The grader seems to think that '4 x 6' can only be represented by 4 rows of 6 columns each. In computer programming this is referred to as 'column major' because you count through the columns before moving to the next row. But some programming languages are row major, which means you refer to a point as (x,y) instead of (row,col). Either way is fine, the grader should not take off points. Note the student wrote 5x3 as 5+5+5 instead of 3+3+3+3+3. Just a different viewpoint with the same answer. 5 three times instead of five sets of 3. The grader is imposing an interpretation that doesn't have to be there.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:14 pm

Shocked I would honestly have more chance of understanding The Rosetta Stone. No
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:12 pm

It's quite simple really. The student wrote five times three as "five plus five plus five", which is five three times, while the teacher wanted him to solve it as "three plus three plus three plus three plus three", or three five times. Both of which does equate fifteen, which is the answer.

It's a pretty semantic difference, as us non-mathmaticians would say. Razz

I'm a bit unsure of whether the teacher was just being an asshole as he didn't like the student spelling out his method on the paper and preferred him to it in his head though? Shrugging

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:14 pm

Just...................whatever [5] - Page 37 Tumblr_n153v8lJal1qzt48ao1_500

Coffe is dangerous stuff. Shocked

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:08 pm

still cant fathom it, and I never will. No
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:19 pm

As a kid it kinda bothered me how disfunctional some people (especially my mom) were if they didn't get coffee in the morning. I think that's why I always tried to avoid drinking caffeine in the AM.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:16 pm

Yeah I didn't understand the same thing, so I've never had coffee. The same thing with alcohol actually: I'll try a sip here and there, but I don't drink. I can function just fine without coffee and don't want to have to need it ever.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:23 pm

But if you don't drink alcohol that means going through all of life...sober!!! pale Bollocks to that! Evil or Very Mad drunken

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:54 pm

Sometimes I need a beer after work. I'm not an alcoholic, but I can't imagine not having at least a few drinks a week.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:04 pm

Well whatever works!

Although I imagine to Petty only a few beers a week is being sober. Razz

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:38 pm

I imagine to Petty only a few beers a week is being sober. - Forest

Surely that's an error and you meant 'a day' Nod drunken

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:52 pm

I need coffee like some people need blood.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:38 am

Yeah, I quite like coffee. But I know from experience too much can be kind of dangerous.

Also my mind keeps returning to the research that says people who regularly drinks coffee are always at a lower level in awakeness, from the caffein addiction, and coffee only brings them up to the level everyone else is at.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:38 am

Forest Shepherd wrote:Yeah I didn't understand the same thing, so I've never had coffee. The same thing with alcohol actually: I'll try a sip here and there, but I don't drink. I can function just fine without coffee and don't want to have to need it ever.

That.. I don't get. But I do know from experience alcohol has a different effect on different people. And there's nothing wrong about you not finding it interesting. I just couldn't consider that myself.

Nah, I'm a bit like Morse. Alcohol (not in abundance) helps me to relax and think.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:16 am

Forest Shepherd wrote:Yeah I didn't understand the same thing, so I've never had coffee. The same thing with alcohol actually: I'll try a sip here and there, but I don't drink. I can function just fine without coffee and don't want to have to need it ever.

I'm the same with alcohol. There are a number of alcoholics in my family, but even among the ones without serious addiction problems, most of them seem to feel alcohol is a requirement for social interaction or having a good time, and I've never wanted any part of that. Not that my coping mechanisms for stress (social or otherwise) have always been the healthiest either, but that's part of the reason I wouldn't trust myself with alcohol even if I did see the appeal.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:51 am

Gosh, it's sameness-day!

I also have a family that has a lot of alcoholics in it (including my dad), and used to worry about one day following in their footsteps. My siblings tell me that if I drank with them I would have a better time at parties and music shows and what-not.

Last July I was over at my brother's house where our grandma, who we see nearly once a year now, and our cousin, who we haven't really seen much in over 15 years, were visiting for a couple hours. I was having an emotional sort of day, and seeing the cousin after all this time and my grandma, and feeling like I was coming up against some very real and serious realizations about myself and what has changed in my life, made me flip off the deep-end.
I ended up lying in the driveway underneath my other brother's big raised truck and crying. Not just a little bit of crying either, but the big fat tears and shaking sort of crying.
I couldn't even go back into the house or talk to anyone until I took a walk down the street and hunkered down in the middle of a eucalyptus grove for half an hour.
I'd still have those sorts of things happen if I did drink, and alcohol might just lead to me acting less constrained around others, but I do get pretty emotional sometimes and have trouble finding a way out of my fear and depression. So I do understand what you mean by not trusting yourself with drinking a lot Eldo!

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:45 am

Yeah, obviously there is too much. And if you have been witness to that, I can perfectly understand it loosing it's appeal. Also drinking if you're in a bad mood is generally a big no no. Alcohol will do nothing to help with your bad mood, quite on the contrary. It'll only make you feel worse. Being in a good social situation where there is alcohol involved might though.

If you do try it, try it with friends in a good social situation, keep it strictly in moderation, in no way drink a lot, try it a couple of times and see if you like it. (Oh, and drink something good, instead of going for the cheapest and easiest.)

All in all though, as I said, it obviously has a different effect on different people. And I can perfectly understand that someone might not see the appeal or feel differently about it.

Last edited by Bluebottle on Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:49 am; edited 1 time in total

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:47 am

Oh, and stay away from american beer. Wink

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:36 am

Rolling Eyes

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:18 pm

Forest Shepherd wrote:Gosh, it's sameness-day!

I also have a family that has a lot of alcoholics in it (including my dad), and used to worry about one day following in their footsteps. My siblings tell me that if I drank with them I would have a better time at parties and music shows and what-not.

Last July I was over at my brother's house where our grandma, who we see nearly once a year now, and our cousin, who we haven't really seen much in over 15 years, were visiting for a couple hours. I was having an emotional sort of day, and seeing the cousin after all this time and my grandma, and feeling like I was coming up against some very real and serious realizations about myself and what has changed in my life, made me flip off the deep-end.
I ended up lying in the driveway underneath my other brother's big raised truck and crying. Not just a little bit of crying either, but the big fat tears and shaking sort of crying.
I couldn't even go back into the house or talk to anyone until I took a walk down the street and hunkered down in the middle of a eucalyptus grove for half an hour.
I'd still have those sorts of things happen if I did drink, and alcohol might just lead to me acting less constrained around others, but I do get pretty emotional sometimes and have trouble finding a way out of my fear and depression. So I do understand what you mean by not trusting yourself with drinking a lot Eldo!

Wow, I respect you so much for opening your heart & baring your soul Forest. You've brought out the "mum" in me, I could give you a hug & ask whats the matter. Crying or Very sad

Just...................whatever [5] - Page 37 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Just...................whatever [5] - Page 37 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:15 pm

alcohol is never the way out, its never an escape, it might feel like it at the time and god knows I have sunk some serious vodka trying to escape from emotions in the past, but it doesn't work. it may seem like the easy way out, but its not. alcohol robs you smacks you over the head and leaves you in the gutter to rot. I have seen too many sad stories involving booze. that's why I am tea-total, have been for 20 years and if I have problems I slug them out face to face instead of running away. Sometimes you can ask for help and that's healthy and a good thing to do, but hiding behind booze is only going to bite your ass in the future.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum