halfwise
Eldorion
Bluebottle
Mrs Figg
Pettytyrant101
20 posters

Page 26 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next

Go down

Just...................whatever [5] - Page 26 Empty Re: Just...................whatever [5]

Post by Eldorion Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:00 pm

Does Norwegian use a different word than "student" to refer to elementary and secondary education? That's what was throwing me off.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Just...................whatever [5] - Page 26 Empty Re: Just...................whatever [5]

Post by Bluebottle Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:04 pm

Mmmm, I'd say you say you're a student when you study at University here. Furthermore we don't say study for elementary and secondary education in general. We have a different word for someone partaking in elementary and secondary school education, "elev".

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:11 pm

It doesn't make sense to compare real life to being a student until you've left the mandated younger years of education anyway.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:14 pm

Yeah, it certainly a different form of studying when you're fending for yourself err.. as well.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:14 pm

Btw, I do hope your not having too hard a time getting into the student mindset norc. Juggling getting organized with and having full responsibility for your own school work with having a life beside it definitely isn't easy. I'm not sure I ever really figured it out.

Didn't mean to hijack the conversation in any way. Sorry if I did.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:18 pm

halfwise wrote:I prefer being a student to real life.

And sex is fine, just stay away from boys.
naah.. you're right. Men are preferable Wink
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:20 pm

Bluebottle wrote:Mmmm, I'd say you say you're a student when you study at University here. Furthermore we don't say study for elementary and secondary education in general. We have a different word for someone partaking in elementary and secondary school education, "elev".

That makes sense.  I think the use of "student" and "study" for earlier levels of education is an old thing in (American) English, but I don't know for sure.  Certainly there has been a trend towards applying the trappings of post-secondary education to younger and younger kids, with diplomas, full graduation gowns, honor societies, and all that jazz for high school, then middle school, and to some extent as young as kindergarten and preschool.  It's actually kinda dumb IMO but I guess it makes people (well, parents) happy. Shrugging
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:21 pm

Eldorion wrote:@Norc, I can't even imagining studying political science in three different languages at once. Laughing I hope you continue to enjoy it!  Research methods was a ... fun class.  I don't think I finished a single major assignment for that prior to 6am the morning it was due.  I did good enough that I was asked to be a TA the following semester, though.  When me and the other TA told the professor about our study habits she wasn't thrilled but it was too late by then. Very Happy The other TA was the guy who I used to read 4chan with in the back row of a different class.  Good times...

{{{This post turned out a lot more nostalgic than I thought it would. *sniff*}}}
I do enjoy it, but there are somewhat different terms for the same thing and idk... once i learn that i guess it's ok. i am steady in english, so that's no probelm Razz we have to semester papers (*gulp*) but what do we say .. den tid, den sorg (that time, that sorrow). TA is a teacher assistant right? in like smaller groups? that's pretty cool Smile 

the only thing i worry about is what i'll actually end up working as Razz (probably teacher..)
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:23 pm

Eldorion wrote:Does Norwegian use a different word than "student" to refer to elementary and secondary education?  That's what was throwing me off.
well, you're a pupil (elev) through elementary school and secondary school and high school (videregående) but you're not a student until you reach university/higher education/college. The basic difference is that when you're a pupil you're told what to do, when you're a student you have to figure that out for yourself.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:24 pm

According to this site I just found on google "den tid, den sorg" translates roughly to "worry about that bridge when you cross it" (though I hear it more frequently as "cross that bridge when you get to it").

http://en.bab.la/forum/hvordan-siger-man-den-tid-den-sorg-p%C3%A5-engelsk-62553

Though I prefer:

Just...................whatever [5] - Page 26 BtS1Ujv

Yeah, TA is a teaching assistant.  I graded a bunch of papers and answered questions from students and helped with discussions.  I even had to do a lecture once which I think was something this professor did uniquely to I guess encourage the TAs to develop more teaching skills of their own, though I'm pretty sure I was a nervous wreck for it. Laughing

Last edited by Eldorion on Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:25 pm

Bluebottle wrote:Btw, I do hope your not having too hard a time getting into the student mindset norc. Juggling getting organized with and having full responsibility for your own school work with having a life beside it definitely isn't easy. I'm not sure I ever really figured it out.

Didn't mean to hijack the conversation in any way. Sorry if I did.
no, it's ok. no hijacking Wink it's defo hard do balance everything.. make a "time-table" for the day. juggle social life and studying Wink i guess i'll get the hang of it (i have to!) .. we had two weeks just drinking and getting to know one another (also called fadderuka).
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:26 pm

Eldorion wrote:
Bluebottle wrote:Mmmm, I'd say you say you're a student when you study at University here. Furthermore we don't say study for elementary and secondary education in general. We have a different word for someone partaking in elementary and secondary school education, "elev".

That makes sense.  I think the use of "student" and "study" for earlier levels of education is an old thing in (American) English, but I don't know for sure.  Certainly there has been a trend towards applying the trappings of post-secondary education to younger and younger kids, with diplomas, full graduation gowns, honor societies, and all that jazz for high school, then middle school, and to some extent as young as kindergarten and preschool.  It's actually kinda dumb IMO but I guess it makes people (well, parents) happy. Shrugging
i think it's wise to seperate the two, pupil and student, because being a student means much more responsibility and self-awarness than kids under 18-19 don't have.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:27 pm

Norc wrote:well, you're a pupil (elev) through elementary school and secondary school and high school (videregående) but you're not a student until you reach university/higher education/college. The basic difference is that when you're a pupil you're told what to do, when you're a student you have to figure that out for yourself.

I suppose it does kinda make sense to have different terms given the changes that occur when you make the jump to college. I remember having some miscommunications with British people when I was new to forums regarding my use of the word "school" for everything from kindergarten to university. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:28 pm

Eldorion wrote:According to this site I just found on google "den tid, den sorg" translates roughly to "worry about that bridge when you cross it" (though I hear it more frequently as "cross that bridge when you get to it").

http://en.bab.la/forum/hvordan-siger-man-den-tid-den-sorg-p%C3%A5-engelsk-62553

Though I prefer:

Yeah, TA is a teaching assistant.  I graded a bunch of papers and answered questions from students and helped with discussions.  I even had to do a lecture once which I think was something this professor did uniquely to I guess encourage the TAs to develop more teaching skills of their own, though I'm pretty sure I was a nervous wreck for it. Laughing
haha, nice, i like that wording... cross the bridge when you get to it Laughing 

we have TA's here too... læringsassistenter.. but idk if i wanna be one.. maybe. i like giving lectures actually...
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:29 pm

Eldorion wrote:
Norc wrote:well, you're a pupil (elev) through elementary school and secondary school and high school (videregående) but you're not a student until you reach university/higher education/college. The basic difference is that when you're a pupil you're told what to do, when you're a student you have to figure that out for yourself.

I suppose it does kinda make sense to have different terms given the changes that occur when you make the jump to college.  I remember having some miscommunications with British people when I was new to forums regarding my use of the word "school" for everything from kindergarten to university. Razz
yeah.. i hear people here calling uni for "skole" (school) like let's go to school, but it sounds wrong. it's fucking university ! campus! it's so wrong.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:31 pm

Linguistic ambiguity aside, they do try to emphasize that here too. When I went to convocation the provost was up there talking about how we were all adults now that were at a university. I guess he didn't know I was in the crowd but I appreciated the message all the same. Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:42 pm

As somebody who has taught both levels, the basic difference is when a pupil misses an assignment, the teacher goes after them. When a student misses an assignment, the professor figures it's their own damn problem and gives them a zero.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:18 pm

exactly, Halfy Smile
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:54 pm

Usually I find Joel Stein from Time to be only marginally funny, but I ran across an old column where he had noted that 1/3 fewer teenagers today were choosing to get their driver's licenses compared to 30 years ago.  So he interviewed one of them named Ashley.

Ashley, a 17 year-old senior, has a core group of four friends, none of which have chosen to get their licenses, despite being eligible for over a year.  At that point I had already been involved in 4 accidents, one of which did not even involve another vehicle.  "I would rather nap in the car while my father shuttles me around" said Ashley.  Even Brian Wilson didn't write a car song that depressing.

When I pushed the idea of saving up for a used car, she said "a car is a hassle.  You have to feed it gas and maintain it.  It's like getting yourself into a relationship."  This undercut my next argument I was planning on making, which was a car would help her in getting into a relationship.

After a while I got frustrated with Ashley's excuses and said, "Don't you want your freedom?"  To which she paused thoughtfully and said, "I guess I could go to Costco.  Costco is a great place to hang out because there is free food and you can play hide and seek."

"No," I said. "I meant to get drunk and have sex."

"I guess you could do that at Costco," she said.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:56 am

Clearly I've been missing out by not growing up in a family with a Costco membership. Laughing
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:48 pm

Eldorion wrote:

in the UK being a student means university student. school kids are called schoolies or shouties-on-buses. whichever. Mad
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:54 pm

halfwise wrote:Usually I find Joel Stein from Time to be only marginally funny, but I ran across an old column where he had noted that 1/3 fewer teenagers today were choosing to get their driver's licenses compared to 30 years ago.  So he interviewed one of them named Ashley.

Ashley, a 17 year-old senior, has a core group of four friends, none of which have chosen to get their licenses, despite being eligible for over a year.  At that point I had already been involved in 4 accidents, one of which did not even involve another vehicle.  "I would rather nap in the car while my father shuttles me around" said Ashley.  Even Brian Wilson didn't write a car song that depressing.

When I pushed the idea of saving up for a used car, she said "a car is a hassle.  You have to feed it gas and maintain it.  It's like getting yourself into a relationship."  This undercut my next argument I was planning on making, which was a car would help her in getting into a relationship.

After a while I got frustrated with Ashley's excuses and said, "Don't you want your freedom?"  To which she paused thoughtfully and said, "I guess I could go to Costco.  Costco is a great place to hang out because there is free food and you can play hide and seek."

"No," I said. "I meant to get drunk and have sex."

"I guess you could do that at Costco," she said.

No that's so sad.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:15 pm

I think it's hilarious because it shows some kids rather smugly realize they've already got the good life, so why throw it all away?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:58 pm

Might as well enjoy it while you can. Nod

And this is one of the few times I've heard/read an adult complaining that teenagers don't want to get drunk and have sex. Suspect
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:28 pm

A kid who ain't trying to pull stuff behind your back won't amount to crap. I think parents want to head off much of what their kids are trying to get away with, but they are secretly proud of them for some of it.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Page 26 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum