halfwise
Eldorion
Bluebottle
Mrs Figg
Pettytyrant101
20 posters

Page 27 of 40 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 33 ... 40  Next

Go down

Just...................whatever [5] - Page 27 Empty Re: Just...................whatever [5]

Post by Bluebottle Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:14 pm

Eldorion wrote:
Bluebottle wrote:Mmmm, I'd say you say you're a student when you study at University here. Furthermore we don't say study for elementary and secondary education in general. We have a different word for someone partaking in elementary and secondary school education, "elev".

That makes sense.  I think the use of "student" and "study" for earlier levels of education is an old thing in (American) English, but I don't know for sure.  Certainly there has been a trend towards applying the trappings of post-secondary education to younger and younger kids, with diplomas, full graduation gowns, honor societies, and all that jazz for high school, then middle school, and to some extent as young as kindergarten and preschool.  It's actually kinda dumb IMO but I guess it makes people (well, parents) happy. Shrugging

Tell me about it. It's not like school isn't heavily weighted enough to testing over actually teaching its subjects anything, but of course we have to introduce it to kids at a stage of their education where it plays no functional role. Wouldn't it be better to try to teach the kids something instead of mindlessly trying to rank them and give them grades they will never use for anything? Rolling Eyes

Ah, sorry about the rant. Razz

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Just...................whatever [5] - Page 27 Empty Re: Just...................whatever [5]

Post by Eldorion Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:17 pm

halfwise wrote:A kid who ain't trying to pull stuff behind your back won't amount to crap.  I think parents want to head off much of what their kids are trying to get away with, but they are secretly proud of them for some of it.

I'll defer to your age and experience on this one. Nod Wink
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:20 pm

Bluebottle wrote:

Tell me about it. It's not like school isn't heavily weighted enough to testing over actually teaching its subjects anything, but of course we have to introduce it to kids at a stage of their education where it plays no functional role. Wouldn't it be better to try to teach the kids something instead of mindlessly trying to rank them and give them grades they will never use for anything? Rolling Eyes

Ah, sorry about the rant. Razz

No need to apologize.  It's why I left teaching.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:26 pm

I didn't know you left teaching, Halfy. Do you still do research, if I may ask?

My grandmother was a middle school teacher and my mom works in education too so I've heard plenty of complaining about "teaching to the test" from both of them over the years. From my own experience I've gotta agree with them on it.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:36 pm

I taught high school for 6 years (2 in the Peace Corps before that) then when it all became teaching to the test the intellectual stimulation was gone.  Went back to grad school and am now in research.  They use me for a lot of their summer programs, and I occasionally teach college.  Sorry, lecture at college - it's not really teaching.   Real teaching requires carefully structuring activities so students can build their own knowledge.  Lecturing just facilitates self-learning.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:55 pm

Good point regarding teaching vs lecturing.  Unfortunately a lot of college professors don't really know much about teaching even if they really know their materials. But good lectures can make it really easy to pick up stuff (at least that's been my experience).
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:11 pm

I can see you've experienced it first hand, Halfwise. Although i'd guess it's even worse on the students.

Thing is exams and grades obviously serve a function, and have a place in education, but there's a time and place for it. It certainly should not be the be all and end all of education, which it seems to have become.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:12 pm

Norc wrote:no, it's ok. no hijacking Wink it's defo hard do balance everything.. make a "time-table" for the day. juggle social life and studying Wink i guess i'll get the hang of it (i have to!) .. we had two weeks just drinking and getting to know one another (also called fadderuka).

Oh, don't worry. I'm sure you'll do great. You're nowhere near as hopeless as me, and I had a great time studying there. And if there's anything you're not happy about, I'm sure people around here won't mind listening to your complaints about it.

Norc wrote:we had two weeks just drinking and getting to know one another (also called fadderuka).

Two weeks? Shocked I'm not sure I would be up for that. Razz That said, it is a really great way of getting to know people and make friends with the people you are going to be studying with. And a lot of fun.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:14 pm

It's a bit strange, but this tumblr blog kind of gives me hope. Razz

http://today-ifuckedup.tumblr.com

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:14 pm

Bluebottle wrote:Thing is exams and grades obviously serve a function, and have a place in education, but there's a time and place for it. It certainly should not be the be all and end all of education, which it seems to have become.

They're a handy tool.  They shouldn't be the objective.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:17 pm

Bluebottle wrote:It's a bit strange, but this tumblr blog kind of gives me hope. Razz

http://today-ifuckedup.tumblr.com

Everybody needs something like this to loosen them up.
- Before taking an exam
- Before going on a date
- Before having a child
- etc etc

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:29 pm

Haha, very true. Very Happy

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:37 pm

I think this drinking and debauchery thing comes in waves through time. In the eighteenth century there were the Dandies and the Bucks and ladies dresses showed their boobies. The Victorians came next and threw up their mittened hands in horror and started covering chair legs. Then the hippies let it all hang out and their kids looked at them and thought 'would you just check out those stoners' and went all Nu-puritan. its waves man.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:43 pm

if you're referring to Norc's Fuckenrousin or whatever the hell that was, I totally approve. I'm quite delighted to have them going out and caterwauling and rubbing the fur and such. But when the young'uns don't come back and bother to fill us in on all the sordid details, that's when I get riled up. Unacceptable behaviour, that. Evil or Very Mad

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:57 am

Well said, Mrs Figg. Thumbs Up
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:52 pm

The Victorians came next and threw up their mittened hands in horror and started covering chair legs. Then the hippies - Figg

You skipped the roaring and racy 20's Figgs with its Flappers.

The connection is usually war and or poverty- periods of either are usually followed by a period of straight laced tightening of resolve and belts (rationing after WW2 in the UK didn't end until 1954), the hippies were a response to both ww2 and Vietnam. Punk and all its outrage was a response to bleak materialism and crushing poverty and disregard of the working class.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:08 pm

well the 20s came after WW1, so that doesn't fit. although the 50s were quite straight-laced.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:44 pm

halfwise wrote:if you're referring to Norc's Fuckenrousin or whatever the hell that was, I totally approve.  I'm quite delighted to have them going out and caterwauling and rubbing the fur and such.  But when the young'uns don't come back and bother to fill us in on all the sordid details, that's when I get riled up.  Unacceptable behaviour, that.  Evil or Very Mad

fuckenrousin Laughing
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:31 pm

BTW, hiding on other threads won't save you. We still want to hear about your adventures in cookery. tongue

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:55 am

Embarassed  oh dear. rumbled. omelette hit the fan.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:19 am

It blew up on you?!

If so you had it too hot. It happens....

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:24 am

OH...did you oil the pan first? I don't think Blue or I had emphasized that....people who cook just know to do that intuitively. I once tried to teach a guy how to make chicken Dijon. He threw a chicken breast in a hot ungreased pan. Stuck like paint.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:11 pm

No no oil just splatter pale
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:16 pm

Ok, let's go back to basics then. Wink

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:19 pm

cheers  huzzah for Jamie and his idiot proof omelette thanks for that. Thumbs Up its always easier watching someone.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Page 27 of 40 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 33 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum