azriel
David H
Bluebottle
malickfan
Eldorion
15 posters

Page 18 of 28 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 23 ... 28  Next

Go down

continuing proofs America is wacko [3] - Page 18 Empty Re: continuing proofs America is wacko [3]

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed May 25, 2016 1:57 pm

{{{And we wonder why the world is so violent and fucked up-}}

'The U.S. is responsible for nearly 33% of worldwide (arms) exports -- by far the top arms exporter on the planet....Saudi Arabia was the top recipient of American-made arms from 2011-2015, followed closely by the United Arab Emirates, according to research compiled by the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI), which has been analyzing international arms transfers since 1968....Experts believe the Middle East will remain a top destination for weapons for some time -- it currently accounts for about 40% of U.S. arms exports -- especially given the rise of ISIS....The American exports include everything from small arms to fighter jet aircraft and tanks, to Patriot Missile batteries.... the U.S. also provides some countries with grants and loans -- separate from the arms sales -- to purchase defense equipment from American manufacturers, as part of a program called Foreign Military Financing.....he State Department's 2017 budget request includes approximately $5.7 billion for Foreign Military Financing.
In the proposed budget, the top five recipients of American foreign military financing will be Israel ($3.1 billion), Egypt ($1.3 billion), Jordan ($350 million), Pakistan ($265 million), and Iraq ($150 million).....funding for African armies in 2017 will more than double from last year...U.S. defense companies were explicit in their desire to boost international exports in the wake of recent defense budget cuts.....the CEO of U.S. defense giant Lockheed Martin, Marillyn Hewson, said, "One area where we expect the majority of our growth potential to come from in the years ahead is our international customers."- CNN

{{{The gulf between what America likes to thinks it does in the world, and what it actually does to world is wide indeed Mad }}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

continuing proofs America is wacko [3] - Page 18 Empty Re: continuing proofs America is wacko [3]

Post by halfwise Wed May 25, 2016 3:28 pm

If you leave the description of what America likes to think it does in the world to the non-judgemental "exert influence" then it does so quite well.

If you add the slightest bit of value judgement, even to the rather tame "...in pursuit of it's own interests" then you never know where you'll end up. America stirs the pot - it may have no idea what it's cooking, but it stirs the pot.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:03 pm

A surprisingly beautiful and moving speech by a US politician, and proof that despite America's wacko tendencies we can still produce the right type of person.

Utah Lt. Gov. Says ‘My Heart Has Changed’ After Orlando Shooting

Katie Reilly,Time

Speaking at a candlelight vigil for victims of the Sunday shooting at a gay nightclub in Orlando, Republican Utah Lt. Gov. Spencer Cox apologized for the way he previously treated gay people and called for more tolerance.
“May we leave today with a resolve to be a little kinder,” Cox said. “May we try to listen more and talk less. May we forgive someone that has wronged us. And perhaps, most importantly, try to love someone that is different than us. For my straight friends, might I suggest starting with someone who is gay.”

Here are his full remarks from the vigil on Monday in Salt Lake City:

Ladies and Gentlemen, Thank you for being here tonight on this very solemn and somber occasion. I begin with an admission and an apology. First, I recognize fully that I am a balding, youngish, middle-aged straight, white, male, Republican, politician…with all of the expectations and privileges that come with those labels. I am probably not who you expected to hear from today. I’m here because, yesterday morning, 49 Americans were brutally murdered. And it made me sad. And it made me angry. And it made me confused. I’m here because those 49 people were gay. I’m here because it shouldn’t matter. But I’m here because it does. I am not here to tell you that I know exactly what you are going through. I am not here to tell you that I feel your pain. I don’t pretend to know the depths of what you are feeling right now. But I do know what it feels like to be scared. And I do know what it feels like to be sad. And I do know what it feels like to be rejected. And, more importantly, I know what it feels like to be loved. I grew up in a small town and went to a small rural high school. There were some kids in my class that were different. Sometimes I wasn’t kind to them. I didn’t know it at the time, but I know now that they were gay. I will forever regret not treating them with the kindness, dignity and respect — the love — that they deserved. For that, I sincerely and humbly apologize.

Over the intervening years, my heart has changed. It has changed because of you. It has changed because I have gotten to know many of you. You have been patient with me. You helped me learn the right letters of the alphabet in the right order even though you keep adding new ones. You have been kind to me. Jim Dabakis even told me I dressed nice once, even though I know he was lying. You have treated me with the kindness, dignity, and respect — the love — that I very often did NOT deserve. And it has made me love you.

But now we are here. We are here because 49 beautiful, amazing people are gone. These are not just statistics. These were individuals. These are human beings. They each have a story. They each had dreams, goals, talents, friends, family. They are you and they are me. And one night they went out to relax, to laugh, to connect, to forget, to remember. And in a few minutes of chaos and terror, they were gone.

I believe that we can all agree we have come a long way as a society when it comes to our acceptance and understanding of the LGBTQ community (did I get that right?). However, there has been something about this tragedy that has very much troubled me. I believe that there is a question, two questions actually, that each of us needs to ask ourselves in our heart of hearts. And I am speaking now to the straight community. How did you feel when you heard that 49 people had been gunned down by a self-proclaimed terrorist? That’s the easy question. Here is the hard one: Did that feeling change when you found out the shooting was at a gay bar at 2 am in the morning? If that feeling changed, then we are doing something wrong. So now we find ourselves at a crossroads. A crossroads of hate and terror. How do we respond? How do you respond? Do we lash out with anger, hate and mistrust. Or do we, as Lincoln begged, appeal to the “better angels of our nature?” Usually when tragedy occurs, we see our nation come together. I was saddened, yesterday to see far too many retreating to their over-worn policy corners and demagoguery. Let me be clear, there are no simple policy answers to this tragedy. Beware of anyone who tells you that they have the easy solution. It doesn’t exist. And I can assure you this — that calling people idiots, communists, facists or bigots on is not going to change any hearts or minds. Today we need fewer Republicans and fewer Democrats. Today we need more Americans. But just because an easy solution doesn’t exist, doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try.

The greatest generations in the history of the world were never innately great. They became great because of how they responded in the face of evil. Their humanity is measured by their response to hate and terror. I truly believe that this is the defining issue of our generation. Can we be brave? Can we be strong? Can we be kind and, perhaps, even happy, in the face of atrocious acts of hate and terrorism? Do we find a way to unite? Or do these atrocities further corrode and divide our torn nation? Can we, the citizens of the great state of Utah, lead the nation with love in the face of adversity? Can WE become a greatest generation? I promise we can. But I also promise it will never happen if we leave it to the politicians. Ultimately, there is only one way for us to come together. It must happen at a personal level. We must learn to truly love one another. The Prophet Muhammad is reported to have said: “You will not enter paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another.” Jesus said, “Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you and persecute you.” Now, you know a little something about hate. And you know a little something about persecution. But you also know something about loving, blessing and doing good. What our country needs more than ever is less politics and more kindness. If nothing else, as we can see here tonight, this tragedy has the potential to bring us closer than ever before.

And so may we leave today, with a resolve to be a little kinder. May we try to listen more and talk less. May we forgive someone that has wronged us. And perhaps, most importantly, try to love someone that is different than us. For my straight friends, might I suggest starting with someone who is gay. I leave you with the words of Lyndon B. Johnson. They were spoken at another very sad time in our history, the death of President John F. Kennedy. He said this: “Our enemies have always made the same mistake. In my lifetime — in depression and in war — they have awaited our defeat. Each time, from the secret places of the American heart, came forth the faith they could not see or that they could not even imagine. It brought us victory. And it will again. For this is what America is all about.” On behalf of the 3 million people of the state of Utah, We Are Orlando. We love you. And I love you.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:25 am

{{This beggars belief}}

'A Pennsylvania couple is accused of child endangerment after police said they gave away their 14-year-old daughter to a man who helped them financially. The friend has been charged with sexually assaulting the teen, who had two children with him.

Officials acting on a tip Thursday found 51-year-old Lee Kaplan at his Feasterville home, along with 12 girls ranging in age from six months to 18 years.

According to an affidavit, the girl's father, Daniel Stoltzfus, told an officer he gave his daughter to Kaplan after he helped the family out of financial ruin. He told police he thought it was legal after he did some research online.....The girl, now 18, told police she and Kaplan have a 3-year-old and a six-month-old.'- Fox

{{{And what sort of 'research' would you do to come to the conclusion it was legal to sell your 14 year old daughter to a paedophile? Where did he do his research? The Dark Web? }}}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:36 am

https://www.yahoo.com/news/lawmaker-wants-rich-drug-test-000000565.html?nhp=1

Lawmaker wants the rich to be drug tested before receiving high-dollar tax deductions
Andrew Bahl

A Congresswoman who is “sick and tired” of drug testing welfare recipients has introduced a bill in Congress that would subject the rich to many of those same requirements.

Rep. Gwen Moore, D-Wis., unveiled Thursday the Top 1% Accountability Act, which would require those claiming itemized deductions of more than $150,000 on their tax returns to submit to drug tests or file for less generous tax deductions.

The proposal is a shot across the bow at Republican governors in states, including Moore’s home state of Wisconsin, that require the recipients of certain welfare benefit programs to be drug tested in order to remain eligible to receive assistance.

Well played I think. Nod

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:43 am

{{{{{ :clap: }}}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:30 am

Incredibly long but extremely worthwhile (albeit depressing) read.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/06/cca-private-prisons-corrections-corporation-inmates-investigation-bauer
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:39 pm

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:40 pm

continuing proofs America is wacko [3] - Page 18 CmFXb8IVYAAjbFV

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:13 pm

".. this is not the time to praise Sadam Hussein.."

Razz

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:20 pm

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:12 am

...the fuck is happening in Dallas?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2016/jul/07/dallas-protest-police-shooting-live

Police update: a summary

• Dallas police are engaged in a standoff with an armed suspect in a garage. The suspect has fired at police and claims to have placed bombs in the city:

The suspect we are negotiating with … has told our negotiators that the end is coming and he’s going to hurt and kill more of us … and that there are bombs all over the place, here and downtown.

• Three other people have been detained by police: a woman who was stopped close to the garage, plus two people who were stopped in a dark Mercedes.

• Dallas police chief David Brown said police believed four people had worked together to launch the attack, but he did not speculate on any motive for the shootings. He said the people in custody were not cooperating:

We are waiting for the suspects to break.

• Four officers – one Dart transit officer and Dallas three police officers – have died.

• Seven others were shot and injured.

• One civilian was also wounded.

EDIT:

Dallas police chief David Brown said earlier that at least “two snipers” had shot at officers “from elevated positions”.

Brown said the snipers appeared to have positioned themselves on perches at downtown garages during an orchestrated attack and “planned to injure and kill as many law enforcement officers as they could”.

In the most recent news conference, Brown said police now believed four people – three in custody, one in a standoff with officers – could have coordinated the attack.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:18 am

11 officers shot by snipers (!) who had taken up positions around a protest against the two recent high-profile shootings by police. Jesus Christ.

Still an ongoing situation so, understandably, there's been no word as to the identity or specific motivation/ideology of the perpetrators other than the apparent targeting of police.

Tragic, mainly for the victims and their families, but also for us as a country. Fuck.

EDIT: Dallas police were pretty much in support of the protest (as well as being there for crowd/traffic control) and then whoever these opportunists are started shooting

https://twitter.com/DallasPD/status/751222360867418112
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:25 am

it was just a matter of time, unarmed Black people have been murdered in cold blood for far to long and nothing has changed. After watching how those two Black men were shot dead by police I can understand the deadly anger. My sympathies to the victims.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:17 am

{{{Bad situation this. Thoughts rae with the families and the wounded. And sadly I don't see how its easily resolved either. You have been arming your civilians for donkeys years now- where did 4 guys get high powered sniper rifles from? Its America, they were probably a free promotional gift with their corn flakes.

One thing I will never understand about the sort of folks who carry these things out is their logic- if you are so offended you would kill barbecue you think all blacks are discriminated against just for being black, why then turn round and kill police just because they are police?}}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:50 am

It's not logic. It's tribal anger. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:46 pm

I had a conversation just now with someone who regularly carries a gun and has been pulled over by the police before. FYI here's what he's done when he sees flashing lights:
BEFORE COMING TO A STOP:
*Take out gun
*Remove clip
*Place gun and clip on passenger seat in plain sight and out of arm's reach.
BEFORE OFFICER ARRIVES:
*Have driver's license and concealed carry permit in hand
BEFORE OFFICER SPEAKS:
*Announce to officer, "I have a legal firearm. It's not loaded. You can see it there. Here is my permit and my driver's license. "
AFTER OFFICER SPEAKS:
*Say "Yes Sir" or "No Sir" as appropriate.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:16 pm

...and don't sneeze or twitch and heaven forbid you scratch your nose..
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:23 pm

The shooters were described as 'sniping' the policemen killed...can you buy sniper rifles legally in gun shops in the states? A pistol for home defence, or a shotgun/hunting rifle for hunting I could understand (if not necessarily condone) but a weapon designed purely to inflict fatal injuries on someone and usually employed by armed forces personel in conflict zones being availble for purchase to anyone in the general public is a bit of a scratch

Not trying to start an argument here, and it's certainly a tragedy for the families involved Sad but I still find some of the gun culture in the US frankly baffling...

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:26 pm

A good hunting rifle is basically a sniping rifle.  Not for super long range, but if you aren't looking for snipers, someone behind a car half a block away may as well be a sniper.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:37 pm

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:52 pm

all guns are made for killing, it doesn't really matter what type they are.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:53 pm

malickfan wrote: Sad but I still find some of the gun culture in the US frankly baffling...

I think the whole nation is baffled at the moment Malick, so you fit right in.
As Halfy says, a decent hunting rifle with a good quality scope is quite accurate at 200 yards and most people can buy them over-the-counter at Walmart.

There's growing discussion now though about exactly who can buy them. People with felony convictions are not supposed to own firearms,( though there are plenty of loopholes, especially if your felony was cheating on your taxes). State by state we're starting to see more discussion on more restrictive rules, but on a country this big and this diverse we're probably never going to reach a nationwide consensus.

Here in the rural west almost nobody really needs a handgun, while in the urban northeast handguns make more sense but almost nobody needs a big bore hunting rifle or shotgun. I don't know that anybody in the country really needs an assault rifle, but the political debate on that is stalled for now.

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:00 pm

Trevor is definitely finding his voice.  It was this kind of outsider-looking-in-saying-"WHOAH!" that he was brought in for.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:01 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:all guns are made for killing, it doesn't really matter what type they are.

So are knives. When we have our ship in southern California, children touring below will sometimes peek into the galley and see the rack of kitchen knives. Many of them have never seen a knife before They'll shudder and ask "aren't those illegal???"

Personally though, if I find a sick or injured animal that needs to be euthanized I'd much rather use a gun than a knife. It's just quicker and kinder.

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 28 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 23 ... 28  Next