azriel
David H
Bluebottle
malickfan
Eldorion
15 posters

Page 23 of 28 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 28  Next

Go down

continuing proofs America is wacko [3] - Page 23 Empty Re: continuing proofs America is wacko [3]

Post by David H Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:12 am

Bluebottle wrote:Hidden agendas? Schumer and McConnell are elected politicians that ran for office on political platforms, I'd say their agendas if anything are wide open.  Shrugging

I'd disagree. I'm not a conspiracy theory kind of guy in general, but over the years I've become a bit cynical about hidden political agendas within both of the major parties. They are after all highly evolved political machines that have consolidation of power as their primary purpose. I've been to caucuses and I know the process that builds those platforms you speak of. Suspect

Just an openness on his judicial approach and central constitutional issues will do.

I'd agree.

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

continuing proofs America is wacko [3] - Page 23 Empty Re: continuing proofs America is wacko [3]

Post by halfwise Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:12 pm

You have to laugh through the outrage (he had a "foreign" sounding last name):

http://www.computerworld.com/article/3168975/security/nasa-scientist-detained-at-us-border-until-handing-over-pin-to-unlock-his-phone.html

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:28 pm

I'm not laughing yet... Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:23 pm

It gets more surreal Rolling Eyes

Border agents detained and questioned the son of the boxing legend Muhammad Ali about his religion when he flew back to the US this month, a family lawyer said.

“Where did you get your name from? Are you a Muslim?” they asked the 44-year-old Muhammad Ali Jr, who was born in Philadelphia and is a US citizen.

When Ali confirmed to immigration officials at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood international airport in Florida that he was a Muslim, they began questioning him about where he was born, family friend and lawyer Chris Mancini told the Courier-Journal newspaper. The questioning lasted for about two hours.

Ali had been at a black history month event in Jamaica with his mother, Khalilah Camacho-Ali. She was allowed to enter the country after producing a photo of herself with her famous ex-husband, who died last year, but her son had nothing to prove his link to the boxer.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/feb/25/muhammad-ali-son-detained-questioned-us-border-control

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:08 am

I'd use a stronger word than 'surreal'. Evil or Very Mad

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:02 am

Gross.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:29 pm

Seen on Facebook.

continuing proofs America is wacko [3] - Page 23 ES7sQSX
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:35 am

{{{ Laughing Thats brilliant! }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:13 pm

I have come to the conclusion that not only is Trump a crooked, moronic gasbag completely out of his depth in The White House (a job I'm not entirely convinced he actually wanted), he's also racist, petulant and impulsive and most importantly a f*cking idiot, it's embarrassing too see a great nation like the United States elect a man so unfit for high office, and depressing to see the racial and political split that divided the country from Civil War through to the 1960's still lingers and divide the country today.

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:19 pm

{{ My biggest fear for America Malick is 'lingering' is what these scum were doing, now they might just be about to 'flourish' thanks to a President in name only. America? Leader of the Free World? No, not any more. A sad and bad time not just for America but for everyone- that gives heart to like minded scum elsewhere in the world who hear the most powerful man in the world fail to condemn them and offer his effective tacit support to their mindless cause. A disgrace like none before. }}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:24 pm

Eldorion wrote:Seen on Facebook.

continuing proofs America is wacko [3] - Page 23 ES7sQSX

I find it rather perplexing the MAGA people and Neo Nazis are defending these Confederate statues on the grounds they are important American monuments to their Heritage, when A) most of them were erected in the 1920's+ in the midst of the Jim Crow laws/ ''Lost Cause'' period erected in public ground...surely if something has historical significance it would be an museum or center of learning? Annotated with explanations of its proper place in time and good/bad points B) They don't seem that angry there aren't many monuments or tributes to the suffering Arican Americans suffered for centuries as Slaves (how out of character Rolling Eyes ) and C) They depict Traitors to America and its government, who lost a Civil War and defended Slavery 150 years ago, personally speaking if I was an American with any Southern Heritage dating back that far, I'd A) Feel ashamed my ancestors had a role in such horrible events that go against the core values of America and B) Move on with my life, the Civil ended 152 years ago

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:28 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:{{ My biggest fear for America Malick is 'lingering' is what these scum were doing, now they might just be about to 'flourish' thanks to a President in name only. America? Leader of the Free World? No, not any more. A sad and bad time not just for America but for everyone- that gives heart to like minded scum elsewhere in the world who hear the most powerful man in the world fail to condemn them and offer his effective tacit support to their mindless cause. A disgrace like none before. }}

Yes it's worrying, Trump lost the popular vote by millions, but still has lots of supporters, the racist nutjob idiots will (hopefully) be a minority but it's shameful such ignorant angry views are still so prevalent... Trump is well on his way to Impeachment or Resignation and I'm wondering if some of his supporters will take it personally and take revenge on innocent people...I can't be the only one whose blood runs cold at the thought of so many racist nutters being able to legally own high powered firearms and given free reign to preach their ignorant bile...

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:03 am

malickfan wrote: A) most of them were erected in the 1920's+ in the midst of the Jim Crow laws/ ''Lost Cause'' period erected in public ground...surely if something has historical significance it would be an museum or center of learning?

The thing is, the erection of those monuments and plaques 50 year after a horrendously bloody civil war was an important part of the healing of two nations back into one, at a time when there were still living veterans on both sides to validate the reunification. It's a shame the monuments were co-opted for racist purposes in the late 20th century, but that wasn't their original purpose, and to willfully forget the process of reunification is a good way to reinforce the North/South divide and weaken the US as a nation.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:36 am

{{{Saw someone on one of the news channels put it this way Dave-making a black American who is the descendant of freed slaves go to a High School named after one of the slavers and with the slavers statue outside is a bit like making a Jew go to Goebbels High School with a Goebbels statue outside- I can see why its offensive.

I dont advocate the wiping or changing of history- but there are more appropriate places for the preservation of that it seems to me. }}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:38 am

I can see how it's offensive too, and needs to be addressed but the Goebbels comparison is the sort of thing which only makes the troubles worse I think. A lot of these people still have families. Imagine if you were to start digging up the names of everybody who'd ever fought for Irish independence, and then publicly shaming their families.

Sometimes a scab does need to be picked at for the purposes of healing, but sometimes it can also reinfect the old wound. Need to be careful...

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:13 pm

Imagine if you were to start digging up the names of everybody who'd ever fought for Irish independence, and then publicly shaming their families. - David

{{I dont see anyone publicly shaming anyone's family. Its not about shaming them or removing them from history- its about context. Former IRA members are now sitting as politicians in the Northern Ireland Assembly- thats how to do reconciliation- we did not however put up statues to them. Because that would obviously only be divisive and not help in moving on. Just it does not seem to have helped in the US.
The problem seems to me that they were put up in the first place in public places when they were always offensive to a part of society- just a part who for long enough had their offense ignored.
Take them down put them in a museum with the proper historical context to their actions explained around them.}}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:18 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote: Take them down put them in a museum with the proper historical context to their actions explained around them.}}}

I agree. There should have been a formal review process by a qualified committee with proper public input and debate, then a considered decision should have been made on each monument, either to remove it to an appropriate place or to leave it and add historical context. That could have been done with minimum drama in many cases.  But I'd say far better to have left them forgotten and lost under pigeon shit than to have resurrected them in the news like this and just thrown more fuel on an old and ugly fire.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:40 am

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:45 pm

More political perspective from Aberdeen, the nearest town from here with more than one stoplight: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_TRUMP_COUNTRY_DESPAIR_AND_DONALD_TRUMP?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2017-08-18-15-27-15

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:33 pm

Two thoughts:

1. It amazes me that people outside America have such a deep understanding of our history that they can comment on the removal of confederate statues. No, I'm not being sarcastic, I'm honestly impressed. How many Americans would have an equal understanding of the IRA? and it's relatively recent.

2. Robert E. Lee's descendants had a beautifully measured response, stating that that statues properly belong in a museum, in careful historical context. If the Cities had followed Dave's plan of a very transparent discussion with the same inevitable conclusion, this would have been a minor issue. But I think they were afraid of protestors visiting the council chambers and rendering it a hopeless discussion.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:28 am

continuing proofs America is wacko [3] - Page 23 Kal-econ-carton-8-19-17synd-1024x685
First published in The Economist, U.K., August 19, 2017 | By Kal
http://www.politico.eu/interactive/barcelona-terror-attack-neonazis-us-donald-trump-charlotteville-many-sides-brexit-uk-david-davis-eu-cartoon/

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:23 pm

{{{ Found this brilliant, funny and informative! }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:22 pm

That about covers it.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:09 pm

bit of light relief while we wait for WW3. Very Happy
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:47 pm

there's a very easy way to end the stand-off with North Korea.  Trump just says it's all gonna be called off while the Navy is sent down with container boats to Puerto Rico.  

Oops, just remembered they're Hispanic.  Never mind. Rolling Eyes

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Page 23 of 28 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 28  Next