Pettytyrant101
bungobaggins
Mrs Figg
13 posters

Page 35 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next

Go down

Doctor Who [10] - Page 35 Empty Re: Doctor Who [10]

Post by Mrs Figg Sun May 03, 2015 11:00 pm

I would be very excited about this if it was a new tv show. Surprised maybe one day.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon May 04, 2015 10:33 am

Mrs Figg wrote:I would be very excited about this if it was a new tv show. Surprised maybe one day.

Fair enough, Audio Drama isn't for everyone (these seem closer to audio books than the full cast dramas they usually produce)

Unfortunately it seems very unlikely Torchwood will be returning to TV anytime soon (if RTD himself pushed for Big Finish to get the rights it seems likely he extinguished all avenues for it to return on TV imo, the producer for this series James Goss was a regular writer for the Torchwood TV series and books, and was involved with the previous BBC audios, so it seems he knows his stuff), the cast aren't getting any younger, and Doctor Who's budget gets smaller each year, the BBC probably can't afford to bring it back, and nobody seems overly fond of the American series, Audio is probably the best option at the moment, and the format gives much more freedom than the constraints of TV, they have already announced they have plans beyond these six episodes.

I'm unlikely to check these out myself, but it would be a shame for fans to right them off soley because of the format, when Big Finish is on form (more often than not) I'd go as far to say they are better than the TV series in the writing department.

There's a reason McGann became my favourite Doctor, and it sure wasn't the TV movie...

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon May 04, 2015 10:43 am

nobody seems overly fond of the American series- Malick

There are very good reasons for that- all of them contained within the American series. Mad

The only Torchwood I can genuinely recommend is the Children of Earth mini-series- which is head and shoulders above the rest of Torchwood I'd say. It sits right in that classic tradition of British sci-fi- your Wells, Wyndams ect.

'I'd go as far to say they are better than the TV series in the writing department.'

Not sure Id agree with that. I'd say at their best they can be. But that if you take all the episodes they have made there are more average or below average ones as a ratio of the whole than you would find in the Tv show.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon May 04, 2015 10:51 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:nobody seems overly fond of the American series- Malick

There are very good reasons for that- all of them contained within the American series. Mad

The only Torchwood I can genuinely recommend is the Children of Earth mini-series- which is head and shoulders above the rest of Torchwood I'd say. It sits right in that classic tradition of British sci-fi- your Wells, Wyndams ect.

'I'd go as far to say they are better than the TV series in the writing department.'

Not sure Id agree with that. I'd say at their best they can be. But that if you take all the episodes they have made there are more average or below average ones as a ratio of the whole than you would find in the Tv show.

Yeah Children of Earth was great, I only saw parts of the other two series.

I'd say at their best they can be. But that if you take all the episodes they have made there are more average or below average ones as a ratio of the whole than you would find in the Tv show

that's what I meant-at its best Big Finish can certainly equal or surpass the TV show, I've only listened to a relatively small amount of their (huge number of) releases but almost all of them have been great, In general I certainly find the stories to be better paced and characterized (if not as inventive) than the majoirty of the TV series recently, but I suppose than is down to the longer running time and telling a story soley through voice acting.

It might not be as good as the TV series overall, but by and large it has a greater hit than miss ratio for me.

I certainly couldn't picture Scherzo, The Chimes of Midnight or The Holy Terror on TV (I really wish Rob Shearman would writer something new...)

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon May 04, 2015 10:58 am

but I suppose than is down to the longer running time and telling a story soley through voice acting.- Malick

Well audio does lend itself to a lot more dialogue- though in fairness Moffat greatly altered the pace in series 8 and there are a lot fewer one liners and short fast paced explanations and a lot more dialogue and character stuff.
And the format of series 9 looks very much like Moffat is trying to find a way to deal with the time constraint issue of the modern tv format- we could be looking at a series with more two parters than single, or at least stories which directly follow on from one another or carry characters or story elements across them, than ever before in NuWho.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon May 04, 2015 3:33 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:From part of the 50th stuff- Strax's field report on a;l the Doctor's incarnations.

Personal favourite is his appraisal of 9-

'No9 started with a strong military focus and a flair for smiting species. But his affection for a yellow headed earth-boy squandered this promise.'  Laughing

Laughing

They showed this before Deep Breath in the cinema, got quiet a few laughs.

Save what you like about Jenny and Vastra, Strax always makes me laugh. Smile

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Wed May 06, 2015 2:46 pm

TIL

Big Finish has a soundcloud page, many trailers, and several complete stories have been posted there, so if anyone is curious about the format it may be worth checking them out:

https://soundcloud.com/big-finish/sets/complete-free-big-finish

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed May 06, 2015 7:29 pm

Cool find Malick Thumbs Up

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu May 07, 2015 12:09 am

This is fun-

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu May 07, 2015 8:34 am

Its nice to get the odd injection of Who, keeps the excitement fresh. I still love Capaldi as the Doctor Very Happy

Doctor Who [10] - Page 35 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Doctor Who [10] - Page 35 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu May 07, 2015 10:48 am

Nod It is indeed.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu May 07, 2015 12:36 pm

Band called Beatlesex and their song, I am Doctor Who-

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu May 07, 2015 2:45 pm

Ok, here's some cheesy fluff from the 70's ...........

Doctor Who [10] - Page 35 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Doctor Who [10] - Page 35 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri May 08, 2015 6:57 pm

Casting Spoiler for Series 9:

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri May 08, 2015 6:59 pm

Spoiler:

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri May 08, 2015 7:04 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri May 08, 2015 7:26 pm

Spoiler:
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri May 08, 2015 7:38 pm

Spoiler:

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri May 08, 2015 7:40 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:

'Have you read any of the 8th Doctor books? I'm considering whether to read them...'

No I'm afraid not, so I cant comment on if they are any good or not- but if you do give some a read let us know what you think of them Nod

I bought the first three BBC EDA novels The Eight Doctors, Vampire Science and The Bodysnatchers (I think this features Jago and Lightfoot)

I've read  the first 1 1/2 so far.

The Eight Doctors was probably about as good as could be expected, though it's certainly not the way I would have started a new series of adventures for the Doctor, and I can certainly understand its mixed reception.

Just look at the plot synpopsis:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Eight_Doctors

-It's basically nostalgic fan w*nkery written by a man who can't let go of the past. It was certainly a fun read, and Dicks writers in a simple, straight forward way (actually-that's another criticism, it felt written for children, I know Who's a kids show, but the TV film was resonably dark for the series and tonally this felt like a step backwards, though I suppose I can't blame Dicks given the reception of the TV film), but having the Doctor be a journey to regain he memory in the most continuity reference heavy way possible came across as a both self indulgent retread pf the TV film, and a rehash of the Doctor's most cliched moments as it states on the wiki page

Terrance Dicks made no secret of the fact he hated the 1996 television film, and at the very beginning of the book he has the Doctor looking back over the preceding adventure as though it was the most confusing, nonsensical time of his life (as Dicks pointed out in a 2005 edition of Doctor Who Magazine)

The book certainly read like it was written by a Dr Who expert-plenty of references to past stories and the timelords, a complex side story tidying up errors from the Classic Series, the Doctor being written as a generic polite English Chap, it's fine if you are already a fan or looking for some light entertainment, but it's an overlong and not very taxing read, Sam feels very bolted on to the narrative as the companion. The Sixth Doctor's segment was nice and lengthy though, I've grown to like C.Baker's boisterous performance from the clips I've seen, Dicks doesn't treat sixy like an idiot, the 7th's Doctors appearance is oddly touching, most of the Doctors have a fun enough role in the book.

(There is also a good explanation for the weird Slug monster thing the Master turns into at the start of the Tv film)

It was the first Who book I've read, and was more or less what I'd expected. A fun, self indulgent mess, and a very 'safe' start to a new range I'd give it somewhere between 5 and 7 out of 10, forgettable, clunky and overlong, but a very fun read. Neutral

Vampire Science on the other hand is great so far, much better paced, Sam feels like a proper companion already (weirdly it doesn't pick up straight after The Eight Doctors, I think this 'gap' between the novels is where 8's comics take place), the plot is reasonably complex and very fun, 8 is characterized very much in the vein of his 'These Shoes they fit perfectly' moment in the TV film-joyous, childishly eccentric and with too many thoughts running thought his head at any one time, there's points in the book when you can easily picture McGann dashing around solving crimes like a loony.

Interestingly it's set in San Fransico in 1997 and was supposed to feature Grace as the main guest character, but right issues nixed that-tonally it feels much more like the Tv film than 8 Doctors-not in the overblown cheesy way, but a nice blend of 90's optimism and dark humour.

It would make a brilliant BF audio  8.5/10 so far Smile

Last edited by malickfan on Fri May 08, 2015 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri May 08, 2015 7:42 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:
Spoiler:

Yet you were fine with Rose? (admittedly she's a much better written character)

Personally I'm hoping for anything other that another white mid 20's Londoner with attitude

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri May 08, 2015 7:43 pm

Laughing

Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Fri May 08, 2015 7:57 pm

lol!

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri May 08, 2015 8:02 pm

Personally I'm hoping for anything other that another white mid 20's Londoner with attitude - Malick

Amy wasnt from London!

I read Dicks novelizations of the classic series when I was a kid and thoroughly enjoyed them I have to say, but then the fact they were written in a straightforward style suitable for children was probably a help.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri May 08, 2015 8:02 pm

Reasonably accurate and rather hilarious Laughing

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri May 08, 2015 8:05 pm

There Capaldi is rubbish- it doesnt sound anything like him, its not even the right accent. Not much cop for a impressionist show.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 35 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next