bungobaggins
Eldorion
Tinuviel
Orwell
halfwise
26 posters

Page 16 of 21 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21  Next

Go down

Critics review 'The Battle of the Five Armies' - Page 16 Empty Re: Critics review 'The Battle of the Five Armies'

Post by halfwise Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:34 am

Though we do need to educate you on the local lingo.

Threadjacking is referred to as "Norcing" around here.

The person for which the term was named is presently doing something silly along the lines of getting an education, so you are less likely to see her in action. Got a style of her own, that one.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Critics review 'The Battle of the Five Armies' - Page 16 Empty Re: Critics review 'The Battle of the Five Armies'

Post by bungobaggins Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:45 am

Dammit, Norc, come back to us! Sad

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by duncandisorderly Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:10 am

Norcing eh? Now you got to have something special to be engrained in the vernacular. lol  It can be either good or bad, or both. This appears to be for the good.

It's not easy to be a true individual. Carrying it off takes an effort that appears effortless. Either they have it or they don't. It's the difference between thinking you are and knowing you are. Wink I assume Norc knows.

Last edited by duncandisorderly on Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:27 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

Shireling

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:10 am

She sure fucking does.

( Razz )

((She swears a lot when she's not off studying at music unis and such.))

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:20 am

It appears the regulars I've met so far, are mature, good humoured and sane enough to be insane...................Duncan

Laughing You've noticed then, give it time, give it time Laughing I didnt realise how sadly lacking & a boring little mouse I was till I got here Laughing
( papers are nearly ready for signing nurse )

Critics review 'The Battle of the Five Armies' - Page 16 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Critics review 'The Battle of the Five Armies' - Page 16 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by duncandisorderly Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:45 am

Forest Shepherd wrote:She sure fucking does.

( Razz )

((She swears a lot when she's not off studying at music unis and such.))

Been reading up on Norc since. I can see her appeal. To be honest, we share a couple of things in common. A love of art and dogs stands out.

azriel wrote:It appears the regulars I've met so far, are mature, good humoured and sane enough to be insane...................Duncan

Laughing  You've noticed then, give it time, give it time  Laughing I didnt realise how sadly lacking & a boring little mouse I was till I got here  Laughing
( papers are nearly ready for signing nurse )

Hello again.  Wink

Instead of seeing myself as realising I was a boring mouse, I'd put a new spin on it. In place, I'd say I discovered my potential to be interesting. lol

A friend of mine sent me the attached pic for my birthday last year. The words are perfectly quirky, I reckon.

Critics review 'The Battle of the Five Armies' - Page 16 Image16

Shireling

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:56 pm

I always liked the idea that you blue a thread, but somehow it never caught on. Sad

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:18 pm

Bluebottle wrote:I always liked the idea that you blue a thread, but somehow it never caught on. Sad

It's probably better than malicking a thread...

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:20 pm

duncandisorderly wrote:Thanks guys. I haven't had the chance to check the thread until today. Was pleased to see my tongue-in-cheek review was generally well received. Most of all, it made some of you giggle. Razz Mission accomplished. hehe

A first post in a new forum is often the most difficult as it can make or break your reputation. Pleased to see my first post was appreciated. Thanks again for the warm welcome. Very Happy

Liked your review Duncan (though personally, I'm more apathetic to this trilogy than dissapointed) welcome to Forumshire Wave

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:37 pm

duncandisorderly wrote:

A friend of mine sent me the attached pic for my birthday last year. The words are perfectly quirky, I reckon.

Critics review 'The Battle of the Five Armies' - Page 16 Image16

I've always liked what a friend wrote on a birthday card for me in college:  

"May you live a thousand years and die gloriously."

Since I'm not dead yet, I figure I'm well on my way to making it so.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:11 pm

It's probably better than malicking a thread...

That sounds painful

Critics review 'The Battle of the Five Armies' - Page 16 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:27 pm

yep its been a bit quiet around here without that sweary Viking chick. No

when Petty gets back I think its time to kick start the Amy Pond War of 2012-14, or maybe even the infamous Grass Length War of 2012. Twisted Evil

here to help.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:31 pm

I am sort of still here- and no one more surprised by that than me- but I will be gone at some point, just thought that point would have come already.

However I am of course happy to reopen old wounds! Twisted Evil

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:50 pm

Bluebottle wrote:I always liked the idea that you blue a thread, but somehow it never caught on. Sad
Perhaps one could "bottle" a thread?
I'm not sure what that would look like though.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:30 pm

Dunno about elsewhere but in Scots 'to bottle it' is to lose your nerve, back out of something.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:01 pm

Yeah,down here in the south east we say "bottle it" for losing your nerve also.

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:44 pm

Wonder where it comes from, its an odd phrase for what it means, you also get "losing your bottle' meaning the same thing, "he's lost his bottle" too is a common heard one when someone chickens out of something. Also hear that one quite often in relation to football, like penalty kicks when someone looks like their nerve has gone on the walk up. "He is going to miss, his bottles gone."

What bottle? (buckie I presume!- actually that sparks a thought- maybe its related to the idea of a bit of dutch courage- another odd phrase- that a bit of alcohol gives you extra courage, so losing your bottle -of buckie - is too lose courage?)

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:53 pm

Gawd knows Shrugging There's a lot of odd sayings, not that I can think of one right now !, scratch

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:00 pm

I guess that's not necessarily all that positive either, but.. who knows.. perhaps it's fitting. Razz

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:01 pm

"When you're on the verge of doing something awesome but back out at the last second or fail to accomplish your objectives due to cowardice."

Yup, that's me. Nod

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:03 pm

Well it can be used positively as well as negatively- if someone does something very brave you can say "they have got a lot of bottle doing that" or it can be used to show admiration for something, "that took a lot of bottle."

I still think its about buckie- most things are when you get right down to it Nod drunken

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:13 pm

It certainly takes a lot of bottle to bottle something, true. Laughing

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by duncandisorderly Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:46 am

A lot of bottle is from a Cockney phrase. From rhyming slang "Bottle and glass = arse" implying good control of the anal sphincter, or ="class", with the same meaning in the boxing world.

No, I'm not a smart know it all. My only fault is my addiction to Google. Can't help it, I must answer questions I ask myself. It's a burden I live with, in silence. Mostly.

Isn't saying something is blue, means it's porn? Like a blue movie? Or, am I missing the kinky significance? Wink I'm new here, I know nothing.

Anyway, if I could change the world, I would make your wish come true.

malickfan wrote:

Liked your review Duncan (though personally, I'm more apathetic to this trilogy than dissapointed) welcome to Forumshire Wave

Thank you. Yet more kind words. I'm starting to pinch myself. Very Happy Could it be? Is this the fabled forum consisting mostly of people who act like humans? If it's troll free, I love the irony, considering it's a LOTR forum. Wink

halfwise wrote:
I've always liked what a friend wrote on a birthday card for me in college:

"May you live a thousand years and die gloriously."

Since I'm not dead yet, I figure I'm well on my way to making it so.

I like that. Sounds like something a Klingon would say.

There's a TV interviewer (James Lipton) part of his interviews are always devoted to asking his guest a small amount of questions that never change. One asks, what do you want to hear God say when you arrive in heaven? Easy. You're late.

Shireling

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:23 pm

Duncan, I take it you haven't watched Arrested Development? Razz

Critics review 'The Battle of the Five Armies' - Page 16 9Rzp6zm
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:06 pm

Is this the fabled forum consisting mostly of people who act like humans? If it's troll free, I love the irony, considering it's a LOTR forum.- duncandisorderly

We have a special big hammer for trolls. But there are some knocking about- most notable Bear Murdoch, proprietor of Pure Publications who make the Forumshire's no1 newspaper the News of the Pure, sponsored by buckie.
But its best not to cross him, ever, not even from a great distance (if you dont find yourself the centre piece in a troll sandwich you could suffer a worse fate, like having his law firm Angmar and Sons set upon you dig up all the dirt -or bring their own if none exists- and spread it across the  centre pages of their next issue pale).

ps meant to say before- love your name Very Happy

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 21 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21  Next