bungobaggins
Eldorion
Tinuviel
Orwell
halfwise
26 posters

Page 9 of 21 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15 ... 21  Next

Go down

Critics review 'The Battle of the Five Armies' - Page 9 Empty Re: Critics review 'The Battle of the Five Armies'

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:00 am

I only half agree there Halfy. As I said in my review its a nice scene- but given we know nothing of Bilbo's thoughts or feelings throughout I really felt we needed something from Bilbo to give some indication of his feelings and thoughts.
I also could not quite shake the feeling that the reason that scene has no dialogue is that they couldn't think of any.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Critics review 'The Battle of the Five Armies' - Page 9 Empty Re: Critics review 'The Battle of the Five Armies'

Post by halfwise Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:22 am

The lack of dialogue and the ambiguity is what made it work.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:31 am

Yes, hence my division over it as a scene. The real problem isnt the scene as such- its that we never find out what Bilbo is thinking or feeling about anything in the whole film really.
The book we always know, the films we almost never know.
And at films end, after all he has been through I really felt somewhere we needed to get a clue of what Bilbo was thinking about it all from the horses mouth, and we dont.
This scene of silence only exasperated that sense.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:46 am

Critics review 'The Battle of the Five Armies' - Page 9 AI4BKYa

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:48 am

lol!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:44 am

The only scene I liked, that actually had a flavour of Tolkien's Hobbit was, when Bilbo comes home to find everyone carting his belongings off, Its that quiet little scene where he's on his own, a warm golden light fills Bag End & he's being reflective. Thats where it should have ended. Not with him suddenly being the 'old' Bilbo & Gandalf knocking on the door & its now FOTR. Peejers should have used that moment to end it on a poignant note, its a bit haunting & thats how it makes you feel but no, he had to stretch it out & totally lose the moment. Its got fook all to do with FOTR, peejers has now joined the dots & made it seem as tho The Hobbit was only a few years or even a few months if peejers could get away with it before FOTR.

Critics review 'The Battle of the Five Armies' - Page 9 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Critics review 'The Battle of the Five Armies' - Page 9 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:53 am

I thought Beorn being dropped like some parachutist was hilarious.

Critics review 'The Battle of the Five Armies' - Page 9 Tumblr_m32oagKDX61qer56yo1_r1_500

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:00 am

I thought it was a crock of shit !
Wave Hello Chris, did you have a good Christmas

Critics review 'The Battle of the Five Armies' - Page 9 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Critics review 'The Battle of the Five Armies' - Page 9 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:38 pm

Stig wrote:Someone posted this Finnish review at TORN. It's a little awkwardly written but I think it's because of the translation.

Also: Petty threw in his 2 cents. Seems he just couldn't help himself. Laughing

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?guest=127821001&do%3Dpost_view_flat%3Bsb%3Dpost_time%3Bso%3DDESC%3Bpost%3D816464=View+Flat+Mode#816464

Here's an informal one:
This is interesting to me in that it a.) reiterated the same criticisms heard the world over and b.) made me wonder if book readers aren't able to see how the battle was clumsily handled in terms of describing who won, how they won and what the aftermath was,  because the knowledge of the outcome is second nature to us.

:http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?guest=127821001&do%3Dpost_view_flat%3Bsb%3Dpost_time%3Bso%3DDESC%3Bpost%3D816434=View+Flat+Mode#816434

Damn! I couldn't read any of that, I am banned. No how frustrating.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:46 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Yes, hence my division over it as a scene. The real problem isnt the scene as such- its that we never find out what Bilbo is thinking or feeling about anything in the whole film really.
The book we always know, the films we almost never know.
And at films end, after all he has been through I really felt somewhere we needed to get a clue of what Bilbo was thinking about it all from the horses mouth, and we dont.
This scene of silence only exasperated that sense.

got to agree with Petty on this one. Shocked
If and only if we had had Bilbo showing the range of emotions that say for example Merry had in ROTK could this have worked. If this scene had been in ROTK it would have worked brilliantly, but as it is we don't know that Bilbo has suffered much or felt much as we don't see him for long enough or get any idea of his state of mind. In itself its a nice scene and I liked it, but it rang hollow for me. It looked too contrived.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Stig Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:47 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:
Stig wrote:Someone posted this Finnish review at TORN. It's a little awkwardly written but I think it's because of the translation.

Also: Petty threw in his 2 cents. Seems he just couldn't help himself. Laughing

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?guest=127821001&do%3Dpost_view_flat%3Bsb%3Dpost_time%3Bso%3DDESC%3Bpost%3D816464=View+Flat+Mode#816464

Here's an informal one:
This is interesting to me in that it a.) reiterated the same criticisms heard the world over and b.) made me wonder if book readers aren't able to see how the battle was clumsily handled in terms of describing who won, how they won and what the aftermath was,  because the knowledge of the outcome is second nature to us.

:http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?guest=127821001&do%3Dpost_view_flat%3Bsb%3Dpost_time%3Bso%3DDESC%3Bpost%3D816434=View+Flat+Mode#816434

I'm confused. You have to be a member just to read the forums? I thought you just couldn't post. That's odd. I wasn't signed in to read the forum, just lurking.

Burglar

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:49 pm

[quote="Stig"]
Mrs Figg wrote:
Stig wrote:

I'm confused. You have to be a member just to read the forums? I thought you just couldn't post. That's odd. I wasn't signed in to read the forum, just lurking.

Figgs has been banned Four Times I think, maybe they banned her IP address from being able to access the forum?

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:50 pm

azriel wrote:The only scene I liked, that actually had a flavour of Tolkien's Hobbit was, when Bilbo comes home to find everyone carting his belongings off, Its that quiet little scene where he's on his own, a warm golden light fills Bag End & he's being reflective. Thats where it should have ended. Not with him suddenly being the 'old' Bilbo & Gandalf knocking on the door & its now FOTR. Peejers should have used that moment to end it on a poignant note, its a bit haunting & thats how it makes you feel but no, he had to stretch it out & totally lose the moment. Its got fook all to do with FOTR, peejers has now joined the dots & made it seem as tho The Hobbit was only a few years or even a few months if peejers could get away with it before FOTR.

yeah I agree, it felt like a bit of an insult to 'younger' Bilbo to just fade out to Ian Holme, like 'That's enough of you, lets get back to shoehorning in LOTR references' craparola.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:50 pm

I still prefer Ian Holm to Martin Freeman...

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:53 pm

malickfan wrote:
Stig wrote:
Mrs Figg wrote:
Stig wrote:

Figgs has been banned Four Times I think, maybe they banned her IP address from being able to access the forum?

looks like it. I can access the main page for the official news and marketing, but the forum is closed, I cannot enter, only the Dead can enter. pale
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:55 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:
malickfan wrote:
Stig wrote:
Mrs Figg wrote:
Stig wrote:

looks like it. I can access the main page for the official news and marketing, but the forum is closed, I cannot enter, only the Dead can enter. pale

I have to admit...I do find it funny you had the much impact on the forum just by being honest.

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:57 pm

malickfan wrote:I still prefer Ian Holm to Martin Freeman...

yep much as I like Martin freeman as an actor, he doesn't do it for me in TH. Too many facial ticks in place of acting, but that's not his fault, he didn't have much dialogue to work with. He is one of my favourite contemporary actors, but the Hobbit doesn't do him justice.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:02 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:

yep much as I like Martin freeman as an actor, he doesn't do it for me in TH. Too many facial ticks in place of acting, but that's not his fault, he didn't have much dialogue to work with. He is one of my favourite contemporary actors, but the Hobbit doesn't do him justice.

Yeah, I agree with this, Freeman is more of a character actor than a leading man-and that's exactly what Bilbo is in the films. Ian Holm was more upper class and fusty, and with his age and body language he came across closer to Bilbo than Freeman did, Freeman always seemed too contemporary to me (if that makes sense) with his TV background and comic timing they almost made Bilbo too quirky.

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:13 pm

malickfan wrote:
Mrs Figg wrote:

Yeah, I agree with this, Freeman is more of a character actor than a leading man-and that's exactly what Bilbo is in the films. Ian Holm was more upper class and fusty, and with his age and body language he came across closer to Bilbo than Freeman did, Freeman always seemed too contemporary to me (if that makes sense) with his TV background and comic timing they almost made Bilbo too quirky.

yeah, when I look at Bilbo I see Martin Freeman with ridiculous sized feet, I never lost the feeling of watching a comedian acting the part. When I look at Frodo or Sam its really them and it convinces me, I believe in their portrayal of the characters, specially Sam is totally convincing and I never leave the moment as I did with Martin. He was too stagey and contrived, even in Bagend there were moments when I got taken out of the moment by his ticks. Its weird because he can be really convincing and subtle like he is in Sherlock. But I have to say I bet he was under great pressure to deliver seeing as the whole film rested on his shoulders. maybe he over compensated a bit. Shrugging I am a big fan of his work, just not in these films.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:18 pm

Critics review 'The Battle of the Five Armies' - Page 9 3KWNovK

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:38 pm

Never would have guessed that Alfrid would be the breakout character of BOFA.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:29 pm

malickfan wrote:
Mrs Figg wrote:
malickfan wrote:
Stig wrote:
Mrs Figg wrote:
Stig wrote:

I have to admit...I do find it funny you had the much impact on the forum just by being honest.

I don't know about impact, I think I was just an annoying fly buzzing around their.. erm...pile of stuff. Laughing They swatted me Mad

Oi! Petty! repost your post I wanna read what you said. bounce
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:33 pm

Um its sort of escalated a bit over there I'm afraid Figg. Would be rather a lot to repost.
Still a crabbit old bastards work is never done!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:24 am

Oh dear, things seem to be going from bad to worse over there regards my review.

Though that was not at all my intention. I suspect some moderation will take place very soon and posts shall vanish!

Some folks there really dont like the crabbit up 'em!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:26 am

Reading through the fall out now. Very Happy

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 21 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15 ... 21  Next