Spoiler:
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Game of Thrones -- TV ONLY - Page 37 Empty Re: Game of Thrones -- TV ONLY

Post by Eldorion Tue May 19, 2015 2:10 pm

Nope, Sansa's entire story this season is different from the book. I agree with Halfy that I'd be fine with her killing Ramsay, but I don't think it's going to happen. They've shown no interest in giving her that kind of agency. I'd love to be proven wrong, though at this point I don't think anything can fully salvage this mess of a plotline. It was already nonsensical; last night just goes to prove that D&D's (and many of their apologists) appreciation of the books doesn't go much deeper than "OMG I didn't see that coming! No one is safe!" Again. People trying to defend this because "shocking is what GoT does" (something I've seen today) misses the point of what made stuff like Ned and the Red Wedding effective.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Tue May 19, 2015 2:13 pm

But why did they do that ??
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue May 19, 2015 2:13 pm

A couple people at work have been bugging me to watch Vikings so we can talk about it so I might have to make time for it.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue May 19, 2015 3:05 pm

Norc wrote:But why did they do that ??

There was a minor character in the fifth book who went through something similar (though even worse) to show! Sansa, prompting Theon to reawaken from within the mental prison of Reek and participate in an escape attempt. The writer for this episode said the show's team decided it would be better for the victim in Theon's plot to be an established character, apparently not realizing or caring about how that impacts Sansa's story.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Tue May 19, 2015 4:37 pm

I doubt anyone would have remembered who Jeyne Poole was if they had brought her back after so long. Was it series 1 we saw her? Not even sure we knew her name then.

I can only surmise that Sansa was due to end up back in Winterfell anyway... possibly in the next book And post whatever happens with Stannis.

The final scene I don't find as offensive as people make out. The bedding ceremony is part of their tradition and she knew full well what was coming... so it was actually consensual (especially with the 'put a light in the tower' from the last episode).

I like Arya and Dan still... they are relatively close to the book. The wall is also quite close to the book. The rest seem to be different varieties of made up. At least means I don't know why to expect now!
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue May 19, 2015 5:22 pm

so I watched it. and overall I enjoyed this episode the most and in parts it seemed to get its mojo back. There was a major blip in the middle with the useless Sandsnakes. that fight scene was obviously choreographed. compare it to the fightballet we had between Jorah, Daario and Greyworm in a past season with this clunky fight, even Bronn was rubbish. Those women cant fight and I hope its the last we see of them.
I liked the the fact that Diana Rigg is back and I hope she outwits Cercei at some point, Tommen is a dimwit.
Love the Arya and Tyrion sections. those face columns were spooky.
As for Sansa what the heck happened to Dark Sansa? It now rings hollow as she hadn't changed at all, the way they washed the black out of her hair she turned into even more of a victim was weird. obviously Theon is going to splode and kill Ramsey, the next thing will be Sansa going to the tower lighting the lamp for help and Theon turning up saying he will save her, didn't kill her brothers etc etc..overall I thought this was classic GOT with a few blips.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue May 19, 2015 10:08 pm

Lancebloke wrote:The final scene I don't find as offensive as people make out. The bedding ceremony is part of their tradition and she knew full well what was coming... so it was actually consensual (especially with the 'put a light in the tower' from the last episode).

By modern standards, I'd call it a rape, as Sansa is isolated and has the implicit threat of violence hanging over her to prevent her from withdrawing consent. But you are of course correct that Westeros is a society where the notion of marital rape doesn't exist yet.  That said, they do apparently have the ideas of democracy and redistribution of wealth, based on comments from Varys and Tyrion in this season, so I'm skeptical of any claims that the show is critically examining the dark side of medieval fantasies the way the books did (not that you said that, but it's something I've heard plenty). Shrugging

Mrs Figg wrote:As for Sansa what the heck happened to Dark Sansa? It now rings hollow as she hadn't changed at all, the way they washed the black out of her hair she turned into even more of a victim was weird.

That's a big part of my problem with the final scene.

NB I agree that the hall of faces set was cool but I could barely make it out, it was so murky.  That's probably in part due to the size of the screen I was watching on; the full largescreen TV experience is probably better.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue May 19, 2015 10:24 pm

Eldorion wrote:Nope, Sansa's entire story this season is different from the book. I agree with Halfy that I'd be fine with her killing Ramsay, but I don't think it's going to happen. They've shown no interest in giving her that kind of agency. I'd love to be proven wrong, though at this point I don't think anything can fully salvage this mess of a plotline. It was already nonsensical; last night just goes to prove that D&D's (and many of their apologists) appreciation of the books doesn't go much deeper than "OMG I didn't see that coming! No one is safe!" Again.  People trying to defend this because "shocking is what GoT does" (something I've seen today) misses the point of what made stuff like Ned and the Red Wedding effective.

You've hit the nail on the head. I saw an article in the variety section of the paper before season 5 began. It had a picture of Joffrey and asked in the headline: "Who gets it next?" Or something of that effect. And I thought to myself: that's not why I like Game of Thrones... Shocking deaths aren't anything if I don't GAF about the characters.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue May 19, 2015 10:28 pm

All this "shocking" stuff, this is all about keeping the "YouTube reaction video" industry in business, isn't it. Suspect

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Wed May 20, 2015 12:56 pm

Eldo - no... I think the show creators are trying to shock people and that is why they did it, similar to the Cersei/Jamie scene last season. People are talking about it and therefore goal accomplished.

I think that Sansa being where she is makes things interesting, I am not sure what was going on with book Sansa... she annoyed me a lot and I eventually lost interest in that story.

Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed May 20, 2015 6:40 pm

http://captainofalltheships.tumblr.com/post/119331006022/chrys-watches-got-season-5-episode-6

Razz

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed May 20, 2015 7:08 pm

http://gfycat.com/DecimalNegligibleAnkole

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed May 20, 2015 7:16 pm

Game of Thrones -- TV ONLY - Page 37 LLhTqzs

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed May 20, 2015 7:18 pm

Yeah, saw those. Laughing

That gif they cut in is ridiculous enough in itself though, with the "Yeah, I'll just wait and not stab you while you do your fancy move." coreography.

Game of Thrones -- TV ONLY - Page 37 Tumblr_nolgfuEOqD1sq0qieo4_500

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed May 20, 2015 10:02 pm

Rolling Eyes those Sandsnakes are doing kickass babes no favours. maybe this is the watershed. NO MORE KICKASS BABES PLEASE!!
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed May 20, 2015 10:04 pm

there is NO WAY Jorah is 60. Mad Glenn is only 53. No
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed May 20, 2015 10:13 pm

Game of Thrones -- TV ONLY - Page 37 Tumblr_nolansYA291r38z3po1_500

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed May 20, 2015 10:17 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:Rolling Eyes  those Sandsnakes are doing kickass babes no favours. maybe this is the watershed. NO MORE KICKASS BABES PLEASE!!

Laughing No more kickass girls who can't kick ass. Nod

The thing is, they are pretty silly in the books too, but in the books at least they are very different, and tertiary, remember D&D cut the main characters of this arc to promote them and Jamie and Bronn, and only one of them is anything resembling a warrior/fighter/kickass babe.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed May 20, 2015 10:17 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:there is NO WAY Jorah is 60. Mad  Glenn is only 53. No

Sofa

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed May 20, 2015 10:28 pm

wot
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed May 20, 2015 10:36 pm

He's about 47 in the books. Shrugging

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Thu May 21, 2015 7:59 am

Looking at that nice boat full of people... have they actually abandoned the Bran story? I assumed we were just going to have something happen later in the series. There is still talk of him and Rickon in the Winterfell story (though not by name).

The Greyjoy thing is funny... wasn't he the only king that Stannis burnt a slug for that didn't actually die?

The others I think could probably be assumed as just side stories that ended there and then, although might come back to bite them later as they have to change more and more.

Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu May 21, 2015 2:14 pm

Bran is stated as returning next season. Along with Hodor, I presume.

Rickon and Osha.. who knows..

The rest can be summed up as

Ironborn; Asha/Yara and (leach proof) Baelon.

Riverlands; Brotherhood without Banners (Beric Dundarion and Thoros of Myr) and the Blackfish.  

Kind of spoilery about who else has been "confirmed" as returning.

Spoiler:

Considering how central the Riverlands were in the books they are currently adapting it does seem a bit odd to me. I think fans of the Ironborn are quite relieved they seem to have been sidelined at this point though, considering how Dorne turned out. Razz

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon May 25, 2015 10:32 pm

great episode this week. so chock full of feels. Very Happy
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next