Bluebottle
azriel
feanor 1999
Pettytyrant101
Norc
12 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

is the arkenstone one of the silmarils? - Page 4 Empty Re: is the arkenstone one of the silmarils?

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:31 pm

What if the witch was hoarse?- Halfwise

Aren't all witches hoarse? Comes as a package with the cackle, warty nose and one tooth.  Nod 

On the plus side they are always in black so we know for definite what colour.  Very Happy

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

is the arkenstone one of the silmarils? - Page 4 Empty Re: is the arkenstone one of the silmarils?

Post by azriel Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:48 am

Witches are hoarse from shouting at dumb arse princes, kings & twonk heads who dont do as they are told  Rolling Eyes
Thats why said twonk heads have to be bewitched ! And horses are very handy at giving a kick up the jacksee, have you been clobbered by a solid iron horse shoe with a driving force of half a ton ?

is the arkenstone one of the silmarils? - Page 4 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

is the arkenstone one of the silmarils? - Page 4 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:56 am

Ive had a horse stand on my foot (more than once) bloody painful!!!  Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad 

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:47 pm

a horse bit my finger once... that hurt. (i had eaten chocolate and i guess the horse thought my finger was food)
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:04 pm

Finger food....?
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:51 pm

I've seen a horse kick someone (my mom) and break some of their ribs.
Horses can be dicks, even if it's the owner's fault. Raise hamsters instead!

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:08 pm

They certainly are hard to shift when they are standing on your foot, that I do know!  Mad 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:48 pm

What ? hamsters ?  Shocked

is the arkenstone one of the silmarils? - Page 4 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

is the arkenstone one of the silmarils? - Page 4 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:58 pm

Hamsters and ferrets are another good reason for wearing a kilt. I cant think of anything worse than some small hairy thing clambering up inside your trouser leg- well maybe Halfy as I suppose- but nothing else!  Mad 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:18 pm

Need a lore check please!!

A wiki entry says that 'arkenstone' and 'silmaril' share a root in Tolkiens languages- is this accurate or just a spurious wiki entry?

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Elthir Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:54 am

Maybe it's a refernce to Tolkien's use of eorclanstánas for 'Silmarils' in an Old English translation of one of the early 'Silmarillion' texts [possibly one of the Annals, I can't recall which early text at the moment]?

I would have to see the entry in question I guess.
Elthir
Elthir
Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:16 am

Well, that's cool, Elthir. You really need to get a life, you know...Very Happy But no, best you stay attuned to all things Tolkien -- for our benefit. cheers

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:42 am

It wasnt much of an entry Elthir, hence my suspicion of it, all it said was that the two words were related in Tolkien's languages- no other explanation or any examples were given.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Elthir Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:12 am

Hmm, I guess one could call this a 'relationship' but Arkenstone is not a word from Tolkien's invented languages in any case, and must be seen as a translation within The Hobbit. JDR theorizes that Arkenstone, 'rather than a modernization of the Old English (...) could represent an anglicization of Old Norse.'

iarkna-steinn Elder Edda, eorcan-stan Old English, [postulated] Gothic airkna-stains [Jacob Grimm, Teutonic Mythology]

In any case the relationship meant in the Wiki, as far as I know anyway, would seem to be as I guessed: that Tolkien used the Old English Eorclanstanas 'precious or holy stones' to refer to the Silmarils, and in an Old English version of the Annals of Beleriand for example:

Morgoth... genom tha eorclanstanas Feanores 'Morgoth stole the Silmarils of Feanor'

Otherwise I cannot think of an Elvish base that leads us, in theory, to both words being related, such as for arguable example [forgive my lack of the proper diacritics], that the word Nom:
' [Nom] must be related to the Elvish bases NGOL- 'wise, wisdom, be wise' and NGOLOD- 'one of the wise folk, Gnome' as well as NOWO- 'think, form idea, imagine'; and Tolkien obviously devised these forms to imply a genetic connection with IE [Indo-European] gno- 'to know', the root of which led to the Greek [word written in characters I cannot produce] 'intelligence, thought'.

Editorial response to a letter reacting to Words And Devices, Vinyar Tengwar 19

That's a kind of relationship connecting Elvish [theoretical] bases to Primary World words.
Elthir
Elthir
Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:20 am

In depth and informative as always Elthir.
But it seems to thin a connection to me. I do think Tolkien used similar imagery, which as a writer is fair enough given he thought the Sil would never see the light of day (and he was right within his own lifetime) but beyond that I dont think he intended for there to be any connection between them, even in the language.
Any similarity of meaning drawn form a root owes more I think to hs using similar wording in his description nothing more.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4