halfwise
Norc
Pettytyrant101
Radaghast
Eldorion
28 posters

Page 12 of 38 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 25 ... 38  Next

Go down

The General Tolkien News Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: The General Tolkien News Thread

Post by malickfan Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:12 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:just thinking the other day, I know C Tolkien and his son are against any more films, but the younger generation is defo into PJ, whatshisface Royd? Loyd? was in the ROTK as a soldier of Faramirs company.

It probably won't make any difference, Christopher Tolkien is counted as a co-author of The Silmarillion under Copyright Law, he can make it a condition of his will/set up a trust deed ensuring the rights to the books he edited (Silmarillion, HOME, Beowulf etc) can't be sold until the copyright expires, though that wouldn't rule out the possibility of the estate licensing their own adaptations (though they turned down opportunity of working on the LOTR films,because it would conflict with their official duties of protecting/promoting Tolkien's literary interests).

In his will Tolkien gave the impression he trusted Christopher to make the right decision:

http://sacnoths.blogspot.co.uk/2009/12/tolkiens-will.html

After asking that his personal effect be distributed among his family as his executors see fit, he sets up a trust with the remainder of his estate, to be shared equally among his children and their children after them. He also (wisely) urges the executors to keep his copyrights in the family if at all possible.

The one great exception to this are his 'literary assets' ("my library and all my manuscripts typescripts notes and all other articles connected with my work as an author"), which he entrusts (literally) to Christopher as Literary Executor, granting him the right to

"publish edit alter rewrite or complete any work of mine
which may be unpublished at my death or to destroy the whole
or any part or parts of any such unpublished works as he
in his absolute discretion
may think fit and subject thereto"

Wow. That's quite a vote of confidence, saying Christopher could publish it, in whole or in part, or destroy it, in whole or in part. His father trusted his judgment, explicitly granting him permission to do whatever he thought right with the mass of manuscripts left in his keeping.

Even if he didn't, the Tolkien Estate/Warner Bros/Saul Zaentz Company (the company which owns the screen rights of LOTR/Hobbit) have all engaged in multiple lawsuits against each other, so there is probably too much bad blood floating around at the moment for the same team to come togther. It's probably best not to picture Feanor as a backflipping wisecracking Ninja anyway...

See pages 7-13 of this thread for detailed info:

http://www.hobbitmovieforum.com/t37p90-filming-possibilities

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

The General Tolkien News Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: The General Tolkien News Thread

Post by feanor 1999 Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:54 pm

Ayup...

Quote Malickfan...

'It's probably best not to picture Feanor as a backflipping wisecracking Ninja anyway...'

And why not ? scared ??? Wink Hiiiiyaaa !

Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:01 am

J.R.R. Tolkien's Ainulindalë

Adapted from Tolkien's amazing words, the first chapter of The Silmarillion spans the mythological creation of Middle-Earth and its gods. Told here with loving care and reverence in 54 full color pages. Original story by Tolkien, not owned by Evan Palmer.

http://www.evanpalmercomics.com/ainulindale

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:58 pm

A bit too cartoonish for my taste, but it's a wonderful concept.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Elthir Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:57 am

Interesting!

http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/press/1147-tolkien-calendar-2015-art-mary-fairburn.php
Elthir
Elthir
Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:44 am

That looks quite nice. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by feanor 1999 Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:45 pm

Ayup...

Now THAT is outrageously brilliant. I could stand that in my own Tolkien Library. Here's to whatever part comes next.

Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:44 pm

The Telegraph Newspaper has reprinted (online) an interview conducted with Tolkien in 1968

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/film-news/11261158/JRR-Tolkien-Film-my-books-Its-easier-to-film-The-Odyssey.html

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:51 pm

feanor 1999 wrote:Ayup...

Quote Malickfan...

'It's probably best not to picture Feanor as a backflipping wisecracking Ninja anyway...'

And why not ? scared ??? Wink Hiiiiyaaa !

Laughing By all means if a Silmarilion film does happen send in you resume...

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:02 pm

Most of this will be old news to people here, but there's still a few refreshing nuggets, particularly the one on Tolkien's driving style. Laughing

http://listverse.com/2014/12/24/10-fascinating-facts-about-j-r-r-tolkien/

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:00 pm

A fine example of the crabbit driving style. Nod

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:20 pm

Not major news, but interesting all the same Wayne Hammond and Christina Scull have updated the 'Addenda and Corrigenda' page on their website to add an entry for their new edition of The Adventures of Tom Bombadil, a letter by Tolkien is partially published for the first time:

http://www.hammondandscull.com/addenda/bombadil.html

Tolkien also made a notable comment about Tom Bombadil in a letter to Nevill Coghill of 21 August 1954, soon after the publication of The Fellowship of the Ring. Coghill had written to Tolkien asking for explanations of matters in The Lord of the Rings, some of which the author felt should be left until the later volumes of the work appeared and his friend was able to read them. He was, however, willing to supply the following about Tom Bombadil, quoted here with the permission of and copyright © by The Tolkien Estate Limited:

But Tom Bombadil is just as he is. Just an odd ‘fact’ of that world. He won’t be explained, because as long as you are (as in this tale you are meant to be) concentrated on the Ring, he is inexplicable. But he’s there – a reminder of the truth (as I see it) that the world is so large and manifold that if you take one facet and fix your mind and heart on it, there is always something that does not come in to that story/argument/approach, and seems to belong to a larger story. But of course in another way, not that of pure story-making, Bombadil is a deliberate contrast to the Elves who are artists. But B. does not want to make, alter, devise, or control anything: just to observe and take joy in the contemplating the things that are not himself. The spirit of the [deleted: world > this earth] made aware of itself. He is more like science (utterly free from technological blemish) and history than art. He represents the complete fearlessness of that spirit when we can catch a little of it. But I do suggest that it is possible to fear (as I do) that the making artistic sub-creative spirit (of Men and Elves) is actually more potent, and can ‘fall’, and that it could in the eventual triumph of its own evil destroy the whole earth, and Bombadil and all.

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:24 pm

The General Tolkien News Thread - Page 12 14%2B-%2B1

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:24 pm

The General Tolkien News Thread - Page 12 IMG_20141225_090758%7E2%7E2

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:28 pm

The General Tolkien News Thread - Page 12 B6D6yMe5sSH4X6QCGj4A31bbhYFPVBsvEvqIp4oBD_-CP0qDzuqh3OXGHZYD2ioOsISlCgeQUpcZfp-zm8MMllHtY_UuL7eBZqKBJL9yhbaGqy8z=s506

Tolkien's Father Christmas Letters, 1979 Vintage Book
J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Father Christmas Letters" gathers the letters and artwork he sent his children every Christmas, from 1920 to 1940. This 1979 vintage book was published by Houghton Mifflin. It's an oversized soft cover with brilliant reproductions of Tolkien's letters--charming stories of Father Christmas's adventures and problems with elves, goblins, and the North Polar Bear.

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:32 pm

chris63 wrote:The General Tolkien News Thread - Page 12 B6D6yMe5sSH4X6QCGj4A31bbhYFPVBsvEvqIp4oBD_-CP0qDzuqh3OXGHZYD2ioOsISlCgeQUpcZfp-zm8MMllHtY_UuL7eBZqKBJL9yhbaGqy8z=s506

Tolkien's Father Christmas Letters, 1979 Vintage Book
J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Father Christmas Letters" gathers the letters and artwork he sent his children every Christmas, from 1920 to 1940. This 1979 vintage book was published by Houghton Mifflin. It's an oversized soft cover with brilliant reproductions of Tolkien's letters--charming stories of Father Christmas's adventures and problems with elves, goblins, and the North Polar Bear.

The Father Christmas Letters is a great little book, charming artwork (Tolkien undersold his talents as a visual artist) and humor, it's disconcerting how every edition of the book seems to be slightly different though:

http://wayneandchristina.wordpress.com/2012/11/06/the-father-christmas-letters-4/

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:39 pm

http://allaboutjack.podbean.com/e/tolkien-dr-devin-brown-1417402621

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:47 pm

I watched an interesting docu about C.S.Lewis last night, an interesting life, stained with a touch of sadness but, I think, it was as full as anyone could wish for ?

The General Tolkien News Thread - Page 12 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

The General Tolkien News Thread - Page 12 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:07 pm

I've wanted to get Letters from Father Christmas for several years now, but Christmas has just passed and I'd rather not read through Christmasy stuff just yet. Maybe next November when I'm gearing up for the season. santa

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by feanor 1999 Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:40 am

azriel wrote:I watched an interesting docu about C.S.Lewis last night, an interesting life, stained with a touch of sadness but, I think, it was as full as anyone could wish for ?

But an interesting double life with his 'Mistress'. That was taking care of his mates family to the max. With the Inevitable outcome. But Older ladies sometimes are very good for us younger men... Wink I like the way he went from Atheist to man of God myself. God is definitely a Chemist of some sorts !

Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:01 am

The General Tolkien News Thread - Page 12 10917317_1578104972435575_4562013468502549217_n

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:22 pm

I love you
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:29 pm

Thats nice Nod

The General Tolkien News Thread - Page 12 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

The General Tolkien News Thread - Page 12 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by feanor 1999 Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:44 pm

Bless.

Belated Happy Birthday Prof.

Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:18 am

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 38 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 25 ... 38  Next