Norc
Mrs Figg
RA
Pettytyrant101
thegooddoctor
18 posters

Page 7 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Tell Me Why You Liked The LOTR Movies - Page 7 Empty Re: Tell Me Why You Liked The LOTR Movies

Post by RA Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:18 pm

lol! 

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Tell Me Why You Liked The LOTR Movies - Page 7 Empty Re: Tell Me Why You Liked The LOTR Movies

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:20 pm

(((((I can actually do logic and comparative stuff sometimes, its not ALL about this girlie touchy feely shit ))))  Suspect

Last edited by Mrs Figg on Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:20 pm

Maybe your better of having some buckie with Petty Figg. Then at least you'll be bosom friends and singing scottish drinking songs together at the end of the evening.  Laughing 

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:23 pm

pub 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:28 pm

pub 

{{{You do realise Blue its only a matter of time until  pub turns to  Handbag }}}}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:35 pm

the mere blink of an Eye  cyclops 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:36 pm

{{{True true. You'll probably have to go through that stage. Nod  Though I'm guessing I got the end of the evening scenario pretty much spot on.  Laughing }}}

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:43 pm

If I can even work out 1% of how any women thinks Blue thats cause for a buckie celebration, as I will have increased my knowledge of womankind by exactly 1%

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:54 pm

Ah, but wouldn't that in fact be a 100% increase.

At least that's how boom and bust economists would put it.  Laughing 

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:58 pm

Does that mean I get to celebrate with 99% more buckie?  Shocked 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:05 am

Well, I'm no doctor. I don't see any legal issues however, so from a legal point of view you go right ahead. Nod 

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:08 am

Haha, that reminded me of this joke.

What's heaven for a lawyer? To be a criminal defence lawyer in Scotland.  Laughing 

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:22 am

Laughing 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:59 am

thegooddoctor wrote:
Norc wrote:just watch the whole movie focusing on legolas, not because he's deadly handsome (which he is) but because it's super fun Laughing i probably have a better and more thoughtful response but this was the first thing that popped into my head.
Tell Me Why You Liked The LOTR Movies - Page 7 Tumblr_inline_mgxe9bKEUE1qbmns4Tell Me Why You Liked The LOTR Movies - Page 7 EI51aTell Me Why You Liked The LOTR Movies - Page 7 Tumblr_margeomu651qclb0eTell Me Why You Liked The LOTR Movies - Page 7 Tumblr_inline_mfylbcpA4c1rvolz4

I might try that, but I find much of his banter with Gimli tiresome, plus that means I have to watch him jump onto a running horse by grabbing its reins and going under its torso and up the other side. And let's not forget him surfing down the stairs.

Plus he's in this scene: http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=1203
well, he doesn't go under his torso, but ok. valid point.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooddoctor Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:53 am

Norc wrote:
well, he doesn't go under his torso, but ok. valid point.

ha! yes, you're right. it's just the every time i try to imagine how it happened, i get it all wrong because, you know, it's physically impossible.

I'm also a writer.
thegooddoctor
thegooddoctor
Shireling

http://entropy2.com

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooddoctor Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:18 am

Mrs Figg wrote:the mere blink of an Eye  cyclops 

okay, i think i'm beginning to better understand where you're coming from.

i think a good question has been raised though about your perception of the movie versus the film.

so i have a few questions i'd love for you to answer:

1. do you believe there is any significant difference between book frodo and movie frodo?

2. do you enjoy one more than the other?

3. when i asked you why you liked the LOTR trilogy so much, while you hated TH movies, you said "TH just bored me and it seemed derivatory stale and it ruins Bilbos character arc, there isnt one. Its bloated full of ridiculous Azog, Necromancer rubbish, laws of physics are suspended, no one gets hurt, the Dwarves are vulgar idiots (apart from Balin), its just cheesy, cheap and utterly tedious." i think what really bothers a lot of the people here is that these are very close to the same arguments we are using when we criticize the LOTR trilogy. the storytelling is bad, it ruins _________'s character (fill in the blank with frodo, faramir, aragorn, eowyn, merry and pippin, tree beard, gimli, elrond, galadrial, etc, etc, etc), they are bloated with lots of extra material taken from outside of the actual novels, laws of physics are suspended, gimli, merry and pippin are just comic relief, etc.

do you understand why everyone is struggling to understand where you're coming from?

i think i better understand now. you feel like the first trilogy has heart, which makes all of those problems and departures from the book not matter. whereas the hobbit trilogy doesn't have that heart. when you make the bilbo character largely unlikable, then you've really really blown it.

I'm also a writer.
thegooddoctor
thegooddoctor
Shireling

http://entropy2.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:36 am

I don't know Italian, Mrs Figg, but I know enough French to understand the title of this most beautiful song means "With you I will leave"

Let us leave to wonderful lands beyond and care little about this crabbit lot Very Happy While I had my issues with how Frodo was portrayed, I couldn't agree more about the trilogy as a whole - I'll love it until the day I die Smile Three times cheers for you, Figg, I've said it before but I'll say it again: It is nice to have someone around here who almost 100% share my views on both trilogies Very Happy

Tell Me Why You Liked The LOTR Movies - Page 7 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:48 am

Blimey, I go off for dinner a few hours and you people have filled up pages.

Am I the only one [edit: except for RingRotten] who instantly understood where Mrs Figg was coming from?  I think she put it very clearly - and Petty understood but it's not in his nature to back away from a strictly logical argument.

Book Frodo may have been a more heroic, but he was also, well....boring.  His character never really congealed the way the other characters did - never did something that made you think 'oh, that's Frodo all over.  Good ole Frodo.'   I think the movie stumbled into a Frodo which, though equally boring, is a rather better defined personality than in the book.  Figgs read him as a rather pure innocent character (which I think was in Elijah's performance rather than the script).  I honestly have a hard time understanding why people are so attached to Frodo, he just wasn't that interesting in the book.  It's changes in other characters that set my teeth on edge.

Anyway, I can see this interpretation and I suspect many who like the movie were able to step back from the book and accept whatever was in the performances.

Last edited by halfwise on Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:13 am; edited 1 time in total

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:50 am

I dunno. I don't see book Frodo as being boring Shrugging

Maybe he seems that way because he's hanging around Sam, who I'll grant is more interesting (and the true hero of the story).
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:59 am

If you make a list of all the good-guy characters in middle earth you'd like to hang out with at the pub, Frodo ties with Legolas, dead last.  

(Okay, next to last: Celeborn may be even more boring. Legolas will talk about grass and sing sad songs about dead elves; lord only knows if Celeborn will even bother to open his mouth.)

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:11 am

and Petty understood but it's not in his nature to back away from a strictly logical argument.- Halfy

Hey I find that offensive! It should read -

'it's not in his nature to back away from any argument. No matter how stupid.'

Twisted Evil I wont have my hard won reputation for belligerent stubborn crabbitness undermined by you implying I am being in any way logical about it!  Mad

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:19 pm

thegooddoctor wrote:
Mrs Figg wrote:the mere blink of an Eye  cyclops 

okay, i think i'm beginning to better understand where you're coming from.

i think a good question has been raised though about your perception of the movie versus the film.

so i have a few questions i'd love for you to answer:

1. do you believe there is any significant difference between book frodo and movie frodo?

No not really. His journey and struggles are the same, his love of his friends are the same. (the turning away of Sam was a moment of madness demonstrating the seeping corruption of the Ring, and I understand why they did it) book Frodo is more assertive, and defends himself physically more, but making Frodo less like the Other Hobbits, less feisty and more fey, makes him stand out, makes him otherworldly, more Elven in a way (part my imagination and part Elijahs presence onscreen), it diferentiates him from all the other characters (on screen), e is neither a warrior like Aragorn, or a Hobbit who learns through necessity to become a fighter, like Sam does. Its unique and fresh to have a major character in a fantasy Blockbuster film that doesnt go around stabbing things or enjoying violence (ie Bilbo).

2. do you enjoy one more than the other?

I enjoy them both, one fills in the lacunae of the other, but really I have already explained this before.

3. when i asked you why you liked the LOTR trilogy so much, while you hated TH movies, you said "TH just bored me and it seemed derivatory stale and it ruins Bilbos character arc, there isnt one. Its bloated full of ridiculous Azog, Necromancer rubbish, laws of physics are suspended, no one gets hurt, the Dwarves are vulgar idiots (apart from Balin), its just cheesy, cheap and utterly tedious." i think what really bothers a lot of the people here is that these are very close to the same arguments we are using when we criticize the LOTR trilogy. the storytelling is bad, it ruins _________'s character (fill in the blank with frodo, faramir, aragorn, eowyn, merry and pippin, tree beard, gimli, elrond, galadrial, etc, etc, etc), they are bloated with lots of extra material taken from outside of the actual novels, laws of physics are suspended, gimli, merry and pippin are just comic relief, etc.

do you understand why everyone is struggling to understand where you're coming from?

No, because I genuinely do not believe the same criteria exists, I dont believe LOTR is bloated or ruins the story in any shape or form, so no, I dont understand it

i think i better understand now. you feel like the first trilogy has heart, which makes all of those problems and departures from the book not matter. whereas the hobbit trilogy doesn't have that heart. when you make the bilbo character largely unlikable, then you've really really blown it.
Exactly, the Hobbit films lack heart. They may look fair but feel foul.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:57 pm

Ringdrotten wrote:I don't know Italian, Mrs Figg, but I know enough French to understand the title of this most beautiful song means "With you I will leave"

Let us leave to wonderful lands beyond and care little about this crabbit lot :DWhile I had my issues with how Frodo was portrayed, I couldn't agree more about the trilogy as a whole - I'll love it until the day I die :)Three times :cheers:for you, Figg, I've said it before but I'll say it again: It is nice to have someone around here who almost 100% share my views on both trilogies Very Happy

cheers Kissing  thats the most beautiful song! He sings it with Sarah Brightman as well, its gorgeous.  I love you 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:01 pm

halfwise wrote:Blimey, I go off for dinner a few hours and you people have filled up pages.

Am I the only one [edit: except for RingRotten] who instantly understood where Mrs Figg was coming from?  I think she put it very clearly - and Petty understood but it's not in his nature to back away from a strictly logical argument.

Book Frodo may have been a more heroic, but he was also, well....boring.  His character never really congealed the way the other characters did - never did something that made you think 'oh, that's Frodo all over.  Good ole Frodo.'   I think the movie stumbled into a Frodo which, though equally boring, is a rather better defined personality than in the book.  Figgs read him as a rather pure innocent character (which I think was in Elijah's performance rather than the script).  I honestly have a hard time understanding why people are so attached to Frodo, he just wasn't that interesting in the book.  It's changes in other characters that set my teeth on edge.

Anyway, I can see this interpretation and I suspect many who like the movie were able to step back from the book and accept whatever was in the performances.

Razz  I think you are right Halfy, it does help that the casting and acting was so good, it convinced me. Whereas in TH the Actors dont convince me they are real. I just see Martin Freeman, not Bilbo.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:06 pm

I still cant grasp that the Dwarves are meant to be 4ft or so tall ! In fact I dont feel ANY differences between any of the races be it Elf man or Dwarf ! I did in LOTRs tho. So why is it so different now ? Ive seen LOTRs so, characters in The Hobbit should be more easily acceptable shouldnt they ?! Is it cos I dont give a shit ? Or, has PJ got sloppy ? When you see Thorin up along side Bard, it looks ridiculous ! Lazy & amateurish ! This sort of quality (?, & I use the term lightly !) is what Im used to with a childs TV series NOT from someone who's had previous success & should fooking know better ! You git !!  Mad  Mad 

Tell Me Why You Liked The LOTR Movies - Page 7 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Tell Me Why You Liked The LOTR Movies - Page 7 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next