Norc
Mrs Figg
RA
Pettytyrant101
thegooddoctor
18 posters

Page 11 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Go down

Tell Me Why You Liked The LOTR Movies - Page 11 Empty Re: Tell Me Why You Liked The LOTR Movies

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:52 pm

well the skelington on TH stinks
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Tell Me Why You Liked The LOTR Movies - Page 11 Empty Re: Tell Me Why You Liked The LOTR Movies

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:58 pm

It stinks even worse, I'll give you that.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:54 pm

I think there are pretty frequent changes in LOTR, too, they're just not the sort of thing that most people are looking for.  I don't wanna get into nit-picking over which specific changes are more significant, but I think the reason TH gets so much more criticism is that it just rings false to many people.  For all of its changes, LOTR still had kept the Fellowship (and the theme of companionship) at the heart of the story.  Even the changed characters remained well-defined, and the protagonists are all likable and sympathetic.  TH fails to do any of this.  In LOTR, each film takes time to explore at least one setting (the Shire in FOTR, Rohan in TTT, and Gondor in ROTK) in detail, give some more depth to characters who would otherwise be extras, and make the whole thing feel more real.  Even in action sequences, they take their time and let the atmosphere of the setting seep into the fabric of the films.  Compare Moria and Goblin-town, for example, or Amon Hen and the "fir trees" from the end of AUJ, or Helm's Deep and Erebor. The former in each of those examples feel like real places with histories and inhabitants (or that used to have inhabitants).  I think the little scenes that add depth contribute to a sense of knowing the setting before shit starts going down, which I find to be a very important part of what makes LOTR work.  Some of this is a difference in the source material -- Middle-earth as a setting is a huge part of the appeal of LOTR the book -- but that's not really an excuse PJ can use since he's spent so much time trying to make his TH films look and feel like LOTR.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11