halfwise
David H
Mrs Figg
Pettytyrant101
Radaghast
24 posters

Page 35 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next

Go down

Lord of the Rings Humour: Parodies, Satires and More [3] - Page 35 Empty Re: Lord of the Rings Humour: Parodies, Satires and More [3]

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:14 pm

that's called good acting Nod
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Lord of the Rings Humour: Parodies, Satires and More [3] - Page 35 Empty Re: Lord of the Rings Humour: Parodies, Satires and More [3]

Post by malickfan Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:20 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:that's called good acting Nod

Sean Bean gives my favourite performance in LOTR, Sean Astin and Jackson both mention how impressed they were with the way he could snap in and out of character, unlike Mortensen or Wood he didn't have an external struggle or a big character arc to play around with, as said above his struggle was internal, Bean didn't have massive speeches or ninja flips to impress us with, he just caught my attention with his performance Nod

Weirdly enough he is closer to how i picture Aragorn in the books (though I still have a soft spot for John Hurt's version)

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:23 pm

though I still have a soft spot for John Hurt's version- Malick

Me too- apart from the clothes he looks more how I imagined Aragorn, not handsome exactly, bit rough looking, like he could handle himself, and that voice!

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:30 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:though I still have a soft spot for John Hurt's version- Malick

Me too- apart from the clothes he looks more how I imagined Aragorn, not handsome exactly, bit rough looking, like he could handle himself, and that voice!

Yeah his clothes are kinda stupid (well, most of Baksi's designs were a little stupid, but weirdly the tone felt closer to the book than PJ's version imo), I always pictured Aragorn as being weatherbeaten and middle aged, his nobility reflected in his height and toughness, rather than appearance. PJ's version looked rather too well groomed...

And it's John Hurt, which is naturally a bonus.

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:32 pm

I agree, despite all its obvious faults and flaws I still get more a LotR's book vibe out of Bakshi than I do PJ.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:48 pm

well groomed? he always looked greasy haired, windblown and dirty to me. Shocked

but in a good way. Cool
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:02 pm

Its the face. Viggo is too handsome, even under the grease.
I liked the craggy, weather beaten look to Bakshi's version, more in keeping with the books description.

Lord of the Rings Humour: Parodies, Satires and More [3] - Page 35 Bakshi-strider_zpsndvl758i

Lord of the Rings Humour: Parodies, Satires and More [3] - Page 35 BakshiAragorn_zpschozl1vq

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:24 pm

nooooooooo! he looks like Charles Bronson in a skirt.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:28 pm

I did say apart from the costume!
But book Aragorn is a bit craggy, weatherbeaten and worn. A lived in face.
Viggo always looked to me like a pretty boy who had smeared some dirt on his face.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:34 pm

No  he was in his 40s when he played Aragorn, not exactly the stereotypical Hollywood hunk.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:43 pm

There's a difference between being good-looking and being a pretty boy.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:45 pm

Its not his age its his face- it just doesnt look weather beaten, its not rough or course, its smooth and looks like he uses lotion or something.

I thought Viggo did a very good job with what he had to work with on the acting and character front, but I grew up round farmers, shepherds foresters and the like and those were character faces, those were weathered, lived in faces. Viggo's just isnt.

Lord of the Rings Humour: Parodies, Satires and More [3] - Page 35 Aragorn-screencaps-viggo-mortensen-2256968-960-404_zpssca0ku9z

Lord of the Rings Humour: Parodies, Satires and More [3] - Page 35 Aragorn_isengart_zpsqgtpp223

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:47 am

he looks weatherbeaten to me. plus you show him after he has a wash in Rivendell. Rolling Eyes

Lord of the Rings Humour: Parodies, Satires and More [3] - Page 35 Imagescmvv_zpsu9psuxtj

Lord of the Rings Humour: Parodies, Satires and More [3] - Page 35 Untitledcvkfkf_zpsijbertmv

Lord of the Rings Humour: Parodies, Satires and More [3] - Page 35 Imagescmvmv_zps3orx0zq9
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:42 am

He looks the same in those pics except he has smeared some dirt on his smooth skin!
He just doesn't convince me as someone who is supposed to look like they have spent their life outdoors. His face just lacks the natural coarseness and roughness that comes from that and from having had all the blood vessels in your face go at one time or another in adverse weather conditions. He doesn't look worn and he so his face lacks the sort of character I associate with book Strider.

The first description we get of him in the book is as-

"a strange-looking weather beaten man",

or the following exchange between Aragorn and Pippin-

"A hunted man sometimes wearies of distrust and longs for friendship. But there, I believe my looks are against me."
"They are- at first sight at any rate," laughed Pippin..."But handsome is as handsome does, as we say in the Shire: and I daresay we shall all look much the same after lying for days in ditches and hedges."
"It would take more than a few days, or weeks, or years of wandering in the Wild to make you look like Strider."

or between Frodo and Aragorn-

"I think one of his spies would- well, seem fairer and feel fouler; if you understand."
"I see," laughed Strider, "I look foul and feel fair. Is that it? All that is gold does not glitter."

I just don't think those descriptions work with Viggo's handsome looks.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:03 am

Yeah but T was a bit unfair, because there are several other moments where he looks "kingly" and tall and strong and lordly, which isn't exactly scummy. He only looks like that half the time. It's hard to find all of that in an actor. I think Viggo is actually lacking in the kingly looking aspect more than the worn and weathered aspect. He looked grungy in FOTR to me...

Lord of the Rings Humour: Parodies, Satires and More [3] - Page 35 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:40 am

I never saw his kinglyness as him being any more handsome. Cleaned up yes, better and more nobley attired, but not any more good looking.
For me the sense of his kingliness, his Numenoreaness if you like, is more his aspect, his spirit shining out, the true diamond in the rough.
Think more how you can look at a picture of a close up of a big spider and your first reaction is to be disgusted, or scared, or repelled, and then when you really begin to look you see the beauty of the colours- your looking at the same thing it hasn't changed, but now your seeing a different aspect of it.

On film Id say you accomplish this by casting an actor with a suitable 'character' face, and one with the skill to alter everything about his aspect, carriage and poise between Strider and King Aragorn.
The rest would be down to how you shoot the actor in both aspects. Using consistent angles and styles for each aspect and never mixing them. As Aragorn has moments along the way where he 'reveals' this aspect, like to Eomer, you can introduce these differences gradually up to King.

Gabdalf too should have these two aspects between Grey ad White- its why I think Gandalf the Grey should be portrayed as in the book with a bent back, as an old man who gets tired, and crabbity. Then when he comes back as White, upright and strong, less easily wearied the contrast is starker (and better than just bunging him in white and dying and clipping his beard).

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:44 am

well in all fairness a "character face" isn't gonna sell tickets to a general audience. To be honest about it. I get what your saying Petty but they had to compromise with the actor. At least we didn't get Stuart Townsend as originally cast. That would have been even worse than Viggo

Suspect  NEVERMIND I'LL BE OVER HERE KEEPING MY MOUTH SHUT Suspect
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:54 am

Viggo wasn't selling any tickets was he?- he was brought on after they started shooting, and I don't think I knew anyone who had ever heard of him before LotR's. And I'm not saying he should be ugly, but he should have a face with more character, more lived in look than Viggo has.
Oddly enough id be more inclined to cast Viggo in the role now, age has given his face more character, as it often does, still a bit too smooth skined though-

Lord of the Rings Humour: Parodies, Satires and More [3] - Page 35 Viggo_mortensen_desktop_2588x3600_wallpaper-232954_zpsuwvukss2

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:26 am

Im glad he was cast as Aragorn. His demeanour & way he carries himself tells the story. The way he played Aragorn didnt make me doubt him. He was meant to be blessed with long life so, maybe his looks didnt match his numerical age ? Plus, look at all the make up & air brushing that goes on Rolling Eyes I also am glad Stuart Townsend didnt get the part, I dont think hes got the gravitas to pull it off, where as Viggo was brought up on Scandi myths & legends & he can retell those thru his acting. Stuart probably wonders which aftershave company will sponsor him & the next ad for Gucci underwear.

Lord of the Rings Humour: Parodies, Satires and More [3] - Page 35 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Lord of the Rings Humour: Parodies, Satires and More [3] - Page 35 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:07 am

Seeing how easily it could have been Nicholas Cage, I think I'll say thank god for Viggo Mortensen. Nod

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:33 am

I thought Viggo perfectly described the Numeroneaness, the grey eyes and dark hair, he could look kingly and like a ragged Dunedain in the same film. He is just on the right side of handsome, not too obvious and perfect but romantic enough to look right with Arwen. Not too young either, any older and it would have looked slightly odd, as I believe that he is supposed to look ageless in a way and slightly fey, not as obviously manly and warriorlike as Boromir. I like his portrayal very much, you can tell he lived the part, it shows how much he cared. I think he was perfect casting.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:43 am

He's a bit short for a numenorean, but other than that I rather like him too. Nod

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:45 pm

I am not talking about Viggo's portrayal, I already said I thought he did well with the material he had to work with, all I am saying he is too good looking in my view to fit the descriptions of Strider in the book. He doesn't intimidate in his looks.
I like for example in the Bakshi version that his Strider appears to have had a broken nose- its not canon but its effective as a means to convey immediately that he has been in a scrap or two, lived a rough life.
I always got the impression from the book that Strider wouldn't get any trouble, even though just about everyone in Bree is suspicious of him, not because of his kingliness, but because he looks like the sort of down and ready rough bastard that can take care of themselves and would make you think twice.
He does afterall describe himself as having a 'rascally look' about him.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:54 pm

maybe you would prefer Bronn in GOT? certainly rascally and weatherbeaten, but the problem with rascally looking men is its difficult for them to pull of kingly or noble or Romantic epic. its a tall order you are asking, and if you don't have an actor who you can give as an example I am afraid that Viggo will remain the best choice.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:01 pm

I thought Viggo was a little scrawny for the part. Sofa

But he did okay. He was very outdoorsy, if not the rugged build of an orc fighter, with voice a bit too soft. Women always think he's great because they swoon over him for some odd reason.

My first pick would have been Daniel Day Lewis (last of the Mohicans) and PJ wanted him too.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Page 35 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next