Radaghast
Forest Shepherd
RA
14 posters

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Ralph Bakshi version - Page 8 Empty Re: Ralph Bakshi version

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:30 pm

I dont think there is a single line in Bakshi that is not lifted from the pages of the book. Sometimes its been shortened or slightly reworded, but the vast majority is straight off the page.

And dont get me wrong, I dont think the Bakshi version is a good film, I just think the script is at least recognisably Tolkien. Whereas Pj's script is recognisably the Coven.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:36 pm

I dont think there is a single line in Bakshi that is not lifted from the pages of the book. Sometimes its been shortened or slightly reworded, but the vast majority is straight off the page.

really?

http://animatedviews.com/2010/the-lord-of-the-rings-1978-blu-ray-clip-in-the-darkness-bind-them/

It's much the same plot (though they never view the fiery letters, which was the whole point of throwing it in the fire) but it most definitely is NOT Tolkien's writing.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:16 pm

give me PJ any day
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:18 pm

really?- Halfwise

Bakshi version of the throwing the Ring in fire scene-

G- Give it to me Frodo.

F- Give you the Ring?

G- For a moment only. Can you see any markings on it?

F- There are none, its quite a plain ring really.

Gandalf- Well then, look.  
Wait. Do you desire it so much already?

F- No, but why ruin it?

G- Because it is all together evil. It will corrupt and destroy anyone who wears it, until he passes into the world of shadows, under the power of Saron, the Dark Lord of Mordor.

Frodo- Not Bilbo!

Gandalf - You are the one who has the Ring now.

Lines this is based on from the book-

G- Give me the ring for a moment. Can you see any markings on it?

F- No. There are none. It is quite plain, and it never shows a scratch or sign of wear.'

G- 'Well then, look! Wait!'

(The bit about desiring it so much already is based on-)  Frodo took it from his breeches-pocket, where it was clasped to a chain that hung from his belt.
He unfastened it and handed it slowly to the wizard. It felt suddenly very heavy, as if either it or
Frodo himself was in some way reluctant for Gandalf to touch it.

and-

Already you too, Frodo, cannot easily let it go, nor will to damage it.

And Frodo's concern for Bilbo is based on -

'F- There wasn't any permanent harm done, was there? He would get all right in time, wouldn't he?

G -It is for you that I feel responsible.

PJ script-  

G- Is it secret? Is it safe?

F- What are you doing?

G- Hold out your hand, Frodo...it is quite cool.What can you see? Can you see anything?

F-Nothing...there's nothing. Wait.

Now I grant you PJ at least has the letters on the Ring and the point of it and thats a huge error in the Bakshi version- but I know which version of that scene I think is closer to the original in dialogue.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:25 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:For me all thats superior is the visuals. And the words mean more to me than they do.

It's been a while since I've seen the Bakshi film, but I'd put the music, sound design, acting, and camera work (which I consider distinct from design) of PJ's films above his as well.

Pettytyrant101 wrote:I dont think there is a single line in Bakshi that is not lifted from the pages of the book. Sometimes its been shortened or slightly reworded, but the vast majority is straight off the page.

And dont get me wrong, I dont think the Bakshi version is a good film, I just think the script is at least recognisably Tolkien. Whereas Pj's script is recognisably the Coven.

Even if we agreed that Bakshi's dialogue was taken from Tolkien (and I don't, if for no other reason than his Council of Elrond scene), that still doesn't mean it works a film. His story is fragmented and stitched together with awkward narration. Even if a few parts sound like the book, it's still only Tolkien's Greatest Hits, not a worthwhile adaptation.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:28 pm

As I have said numerous times I dont think its a good film- but I do think the language is much better than in PJ's which in my view is not a worthwhile adaptation of the material either.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:31 pm

I suppose it comes down to what each of us values in adaptations, but if the only thing Bakshi's script has going for it is that it copies more lines from the book, I wouldn't call his script better (as a film or as an adaptation). I know your analysis of the Bakshi film in other threads is deeper than just that, but I don't think he succeeds at the first requirement of adaptation, which is for the story to be comprehensible without the book beside you. So anything else he may have done right is not very important to me in light of that. Shrugging
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:32 pm

halfwise wrote:(Eldo and I may disagree on the artistic merits of hip-hop, but I think we agree on Bakshi.)

*brofist*
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:22 pm

I think they are both bad adaptations of the book, but I just think the Bakshi version at least retains much more of the flavour of Tolkiens writing than PJ's does.

And as the writing is the single most important thing for me I find it more tolerable. And I dont need the book beside me to watch it!  Very Happy 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:34 pm

I dont find Bakshi a pleasant experience. On the other hand PJs version takes my imagination by the crownjools and gives them a squeeze until they sing.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:36 pm

I cant get my imagination going watching PJ's because its constantly cringing at the modern dialogue and the sheer constant abuse of Tolkien's language and characterisations.  Mad 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:42 pm

you mean in the Hobbit  Shrugging LOTR doesnt have modern dialogue.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:56 pm

Shocked Its full of it. Modern phrasing, modern wording. Very little of it is actually from the book.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:17 am

Come on - you just showed how the Bakshi version paraphrased, didn't use Tolkien's words directly. Even if PJ changed the meaning more than Bakshi, the feeling was closer.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:24 am

I dont see how the feeling can be closer when all the words are different.
Not if, like me, your 'feeling' of Tolkien is derived from his use of language.

Bakshi's script clearly draws on Tolkiens writing, yes its shortened (Pj has on average five times as long in every scene as the Bakshi equivalent to tell the story- and he still gets less Tolkien based language into a scene than Bakshi)

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:27 am

I think the reason why Jackson's version resonates so well with many people is because it has its own voice - distinct and arguably lesser though it may be. Even through this filter though, Tolkien's writing and setting shines through, which, depending on your viewpoint, could either say a lot about the films strength (or lack thereof) as an adaptation or speak well of the quality of the original writing.

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:30 am

When it comes to the quality of writing and of dialogue I dont see how there can be an argument- the book is the culmination of a mans life work who was a genius in language.

The film is, well not.

And when you are gifted withthe dialogue of a genius you dont rewrite almost every word of it. No one does that to Shakespeare.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:31 am

I'm also talking about the overall feeling, not just the words.   The acting, the sets, it created more of a Tolkien image even if the words went wider.

for the same reasons I also have problems with Shakespeare put into anachronistic settings.  It just doesn't feel right, even if the words are the same.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:35 am

But why not have both? Why not retain the language and have the look?
Why rewrite it all so clumsily? Why the apparent dislike of Tolkiens language?

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:36 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:When it comes to the quality of writing and of dialogue I dont see how there can be an argument- the book is the culmination of a mans life work who was a genius in language.

The film is, well not.

And when you are gifted withthe dialogue of a genius you dont rewrite almost every word of it. No one does that to Shakespeare.

Well, that's why its subjective. The syntax and dialogue are one of the main reasons why I like Lord of the Rings (aside from the really neat setting details) and its one of my main gripes with the films. The fact that it inspired a lot of people to read the books who would then go on to prefer the books tells me that some of the magic must've slipped through to the films, even if its only a shadow. (in my opinion)

Last edited by Recoveryanonymous on Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:55 am; edited 1 time in total

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:43 am

I am just amazed that people who seem to have so little liking, and so little regard for Tolkiens dialogue would want to be the ones to make his work into films.
Imagine someone wanting and not just wanting, but moving mountains to get a Shakespeare play adapted for the screen, undertaking years of hard work to see it made, but doing it all without actually liking the language or wanting to use his words.
It boggles my mind as to why.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:44 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Why not retain the language and have the look?
I think the answer is that they don't like the dialogue. That, or they thought it would put off audiences. I don't think we'll ever really know for sure though.

I feel that the reason why Tolkien isn't held in higher regard is because of the genre. Fantasy is typically looked down upon; I remember when I took my High School Advanced Placement English exams I wasn't allowed to write about Lord of the Rings for the essays; the teachers lumped it into the same category as Harry Potter and said it wasn't real literature or some tosh like that. It's mostly born of ignorance sadly.

Last edited by Recoveryanonymous on Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:49 am; edited 1 time in total

RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:47 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:But why not have both? Why not retain the language and have the look?

For that we have no answer.  But when you wrap it all up with other things the PJ version just has a better feeling.  The language alone would only be enough to carry the film if the original was used, and Bakshi did NOT use Tolkien's original language.  It may have been a closer paraphrase, but a pale imitation nonetheless.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:54 am

At least most of the actual wirds are Tolkiens. Whereas in Pj's most of the actual words are not.
All adaptations need to alter the dialogue structure to some degree, either for timing (there is a lot of that in Bakshi) or for dramatic purposes associated with the change in medium (of which there is some in Bakshi) but to throw most of it out and make up your own replacement is just a very weird, and not very good way, to adapt the work. Especially not when the author is famous for his use of language.

The language is for me the main draw- its why I love the BBC adaptation so much despite it too having flaws (mainly the opening sequence and sequences resulting form it being audio only), but the dialogue, it brings me joy to hear it.
A joy almost entirely absent for me form Pj's version.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:01 am

Talking of the BBc version I stumbled upon this- its an amalgamation of the Inglis audiobook and the BBC radio play!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next