Pettytyrant101
Norc
Eldorion
18 posters

Page 32 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 36 ... 40  Next

Go down

Sherlock - BBC [3] - Page 32 Empty Re: Sherlock - BBC [3]

Post by azriel Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:29 pm

Ive heard stories like this one before. Its bloody interesting tho ! I watched a documentary not long ago stating old "waggle-dagger" ( Shakespeare ) was really an Italian migrant. The Italian idea did have a good case ?

Sherlock - BBC [3] - Page 32 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Sherlock - BBC [3] - Page 32 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:09 pm

He believes that it is difficult to pretend to be Norwegian without being there. Thus far suggest that the very fact Sherlock was of Norwegian descent.

Because Sherlock is known for failing at difficult tasks. Suspect
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:28 am

Oh, I saw that too.  Smile 

From what I can gather Eldo, I think it's all said not altogether seriously and a bit tounge in cheek. Just a theory. Not sure how much of that survives Google Translate though.

Still, this was an area of Sherlock Holmes life Conan Doyule left open. So it's open to specualtioon, and this is one way to interpret him pretending to be a Norwegian explorer and calling himself Sigerson (sic?).

And I think he actually was refering to the difficulty of fooling other Scandinavians that he was Norwegian.

With the amount of Scandinavian scientist and explorers there has been travelling the world, that might have been enough inspiration for Conan Doyle in itself though.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:14 am

Sherlock - BBC [3] - Page 32 Conandoyle1_zps796469f3

statue dedicated to Conan Doyle in Crowborough, East Sussex,

Sherlock - BBC [3] - Page 32 Windlesham_Manor_-_geographorguk_-_316488_zps8f133669

Windlesham Manor Home to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle between 1907 and his death in 1930. Initially he was buried in the back garden along with his wife who died in 1940 though both were moved to Minstead in the New Forest after World War Two when the family sold the building to new owners. Today it is a nursing home. Conan Doyle largely redesigned the house himself and its angle in relation to the road came about due to his desire to be able to see his favourite view, facing Rotherfield, every day.

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:13 pm

Eldorion wrote:
He believes that it is difficult to pretend to be Norwegian without being there. Thus far suggest that the very fact Sherlock was of Norwegian descent.

Because Sherlock is known for failing at difficult tasks. Suspect

i had to read that three times to realize that it wasn't an insult Razz
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:14 pm

azriel wrote:Sherlock - BBC [3] - Page 32 Conandoyle1_zps796469f3

statue dedicated to Conan Doyle in Crowborough, East Sussex,

Sherlock - BBC [3] - Page 32 Windlesham_Manor_-_geographorguk_-_316488_zps8f133669

Windlesham Manor Home to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle between 1907 and his death in 1930. Initially he was buried in the back garden along with his wife who died in 1940 though both were moved to Minstead in the New Forest after World War Two when the family sold the building to new owners. Today it is a nursing home. Conan Doyle largely redesigned the house himself and its angle in relation to the road came about due to his desire to be able to see his favourite view, facing Rotherfield, every day.

I love those pictures, Azriel Very Happy England is such a beautiful country with it's own kind of brick houses and gardens.

Sherlock - BBC [3] - Page 32 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:54 pm

England is really like anywhere else to a point, it has its good as well as its bad. There are some gorgeous places here & then you get such slummy ghetto type with filth, vandalism etc, that you cant believe your in the same country ! But, England does also have a rich history & a lot of properties,towns & villages reflect that & keep the "spirit" alive, Look at places like Bavaria & eastern Europe for beauty tho !
Im lucky where I live, there seems to be more places of fame than I realized !  Very Happy

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:56 pm

And you had Spike Milligan just living not too far away as well. Not too shabby, indeed.  Nod 

Now all you would have to say is that Benedict Cumberbatch lives just around the corner, and you would be the envy of all.  Laughing 

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:24 pm

Bluebottle wrote:Still, this was an area of Sherlock Holmes life Conan Doyule left open. So it's open to specualtioon, and this is one way to interpret him pretending to be a Norwegian explorer and calling himself Sigerson (sic?).

Well it's also open to speculation that Sherlock had a 12 inch dick that he was fond of sticking in every other character in the books, but it's not like we just assume that's the case. (On second thought, this might not have been the best example.)

And I think he actually was refering to the difficulty of fooling other Scandinavians that he was Norwegian.

With the amount of Scandinavian scientist and explorers there has been travelling the world, that might have been enough inspiration for Conan Doyle in itself though.

I got that, but it seems weird to suggest that Sherlock Holmes, of all fictional characters, would have difficulty pulling off a convincing disguise no matter what ethnicity that disguise is. Shrugging I agree that its natural for a fake explorer persona of that age to be Norwegian though, since there were quite a few prominent Norwegians engaged in Arctic and Antarctic exploration around the turn of the century.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:24 pm

Norc wrote:i had to read that three times to realize that it wasn't an insult Razz

Easy there, Norclet. Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:45 pm

Yeah Blue, just think of the yummy, sordid pics I could tempt Norc with ! All taken in the nicest possible taste ! ( zoom lens for me, valium for Norc!)

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:22 am

Very Happy 

(I can't fault Norc on her taste though, quite the opposite.)

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:23 am

I would say there is a difference, Eldo. Just look at the arguments presented in the article.

If you are going to play Norwegian you have to master the language and the culture or you'll struggle to fool another Scandinavian. That was his argument.

That's not to say you don't have a point, you certainly do. If anyone could do it it would be Sherlock Holmes. Or that I'm necessarily convinced.

But I can't really see what basis you have for ascertaining the size or activities of Sherlock Holmes membrum virile. Do feel free to present it. ( Don't think Sherlock fanart counts though.. Laughing )

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:33 pm

Bluebottle wrote:
If you are going to play Norwegian you have to master the language and the culture or you'll struggle to fool another Scandinavian.

It seems to me that a permanent scowl and an occasional growled obscenity could cover "language and culture" for weeks at a time. Am I wrong? scratch 

David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:48 pm

And Trolls, dont forget the Trolls ! You either have to look like one or, be one. Wink

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:59 pm

I still haven't watched Series 3 ep's 2+3...should I? I've heard mixed things...

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:09 pm

yes! watch it ! or you wont know what you are arguing about !

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:16 pm

malickfan wrote:I still haven't watched Series 3 ep's 2+3...should I? I've heard mixed things...

It's only a few hours of your time.  I'd recommend watching it if you liked the first two seasons.  IMO episode 3 was a major step up from the first two episodes of this season.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:17 pm

azriel wrote:yes! watch it ! or you wont know what you are arguing about !

Amen to that!  Very Happy 

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:19 pm

I would also say watch it, Malick.  Nod 

I think the criticism was that the first two episodes were a bit to heavy on fan related material, with not enough classic Sherlock storyline. I still found them highly enjoyable though.

I haven't heard much criticism of the third, which was a classic Sherlock story.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:20 pm

David H wrote:
Bluebottle wrote:
If you are going to play Norwegian you have to master the language and the culture or you'll struggle to fool another Scandinavian.

It seems to me that a permanent scowl and an occasional growled obscenity could cover "language and culture" for weeks at a time. Am I wrong? scratch 

Only if the obscenity is growled with the correct accent.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:21 pm

David H wrote:It seems to me that a permanent scowl and an occasional growled obscenity could cover "language and culture" for weeks at a time. Am I wrong? scratch 

Ah, but you see it with a non-fjordlandians perspective. There's poetry in those occasoinally growled obscenities, you know.  Nod 

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:44 pm

Eldorion wrote:
Bluebottle wrote:Still, this was an area of Sherlock Holmes life Conan Doyule left open. So it's open to specualtioon, and this is one way to interpret him pretending to be a Norwegian explorer and calling himself Sigerson (sic?).

Well it's also open to speculation that Sherlock had a 12 inch dick that he was fond of sticking in every other character in the books, but it's not like we just assume that's the case.  (On second thought, this might not have been the best example.)

I got that, but it seems weird to suggest that Sherlock Holmes, of all fictional characters, would have difficulty pulling off a convincing disguise no matter what ethnicity that disguise is. 🤷I agree that its natural for a fake explorer persona of that age to be Norwegian though, since there were quite a few prominent Norwegians engaged in Arctic and Antarctic exploration around the turn of the century.

that was a terrible example Rolling Eyes

and also, i must say since i posted the article, i don't think sherlock was norwegian, it's just a fun theory and the article made me giggle cus it is a ver norwegian thing to do Rolling Eyes

i think Sherlock would pull it off, and conan doyle was probably inspired by Nansen and Amundsen, but i think holmes would have had problems with the dialects.. Shrugging
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:45 pm

Eldorion wrote:
Norc wrote:i had to read that three times to realize that it wasn't an insult Razz

Easy there, Norclet. Very Happy

Rolling Eyes i did re-read it.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:46 pm

David H wrote:
Bluebottle wrote:

OI!
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Page 32 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 36 ... 40  Next