Pettytyrant101
Norc
Eldorion
18 posters

Page 17 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 28 ... 40  Next

Go down

Sherlock - BBC [3] - Page 17 Empty Re: Sherlock - BBC [3]

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:18 pm

[quote="Pettytyrant101"]Also think when people say there was no cleverness in the episode they may have missed it.

you are almost as condescending as Moffat. Theres no cleverness in the episode to miss

The cleverness was not about solving the mystery, it was about letting John get over his justifiable anger and pain and be able to get beyond it.

[spoiler]
Spoiler:
quote]
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:34 pm

Eldorion wrote:
Pettytyrant101 wrote:Also think when people say there was no cleverness in the episode they may have missed it.
The cleverness was not about solving the mystery, it was about letting John get over his justifiable anger and pain and be able to get beyond it.

Spoiler:

I agree Eldo. It makes Sherlock look like a puppet master making everyone dance to his tune. John genuinely loves him, and I dont care how much of a sociopath Sherlock is, he doesnt deserve a friend like that if he makes John suffer every time they meet. Its plain sadism. He does the same thing to Molly, runs hot and cold, draws her in then deals the death blow.

Spoiler:
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:34 pm

you are almost as condescending as Moffat. Theres no cleverness in the episode to miss- Mrs Figg

Straight to name calling? Ah well.
I think there is cleverness in this episode, quite a lot of it in fact. That peoples posts complaining about the episode seem to me to be focusing and emphasising the wrong areas when speaking of the lack of cleverness does indeed suggest to me that people are missing it by looking in the wrong place for it.

If you feel that makes me sound condescending then tough titty.

Spoiler:

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:36 pm

I kind of enjoyed the section where John keeps beating on Sherlock, but that was comedy writing, nothing to do with reality. Mixing that kind of comedy with the bomb didn't really work. It has to be unrealistic comedy throughout, or realistic comedy mixed with drama. The two types of writing style should not be mixed.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:25 pm

I think you have a real point about Sherlock helping John overcome his issues Petty.
Spoiler:

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:39 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:you are almost as condescending as Moffat. Theres no cleverness in the episode to miss- Mrs Figg

Straight to name calling? Ah well.
I think there is cleverness in this episode, quite a lot of it in fact. That peoples posts complaining about the episode seem to me to be focusing and emphasising the wrong areas when speaking of the lack of cleverness does indeed suggest to me that people are missing it by looking in the wrong place for it.

If you feel that makes me sound condescending then tough titty.

Spoiler:
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:02 pm

Does anyone know why Moffat and Gatiss are put as co writers on Stephen Thompsons episode this time around?

Seems a bit strange if they should have started to doubt his writing after they let him write "The Reichenbach Falls".

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:13 pm

maybe they just co-wrote the ep, blue Shrugging

also, donovan is back in next ep Very Happy
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:19 pm

Why the interest in Donovan? she's a minor and somewhat unlikable character.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Kafria Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:51 pm

Just spent an age writing a response to some of the comments made in this thread and then the stupid machine deleted them. Will try summarise quickly.

Spoiler:

'A novel is a long piece of prose with ,in the eyes of the author at least, something wrong with it - Neil Gaiman, intro to American gods
Kafria
Kafria
Lady of Dale

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:51 pm

"If Watson is just a tool and a foil to Sherlocks Genius, why bother with all the emotional sadism? why bother healing John"- Mrs Figg
Spoiler:

Simu post Kafria- but good points (with long posts I always select all and copy every so often so I have a back up- learnt that the hard way!)

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:59 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:"If Watson is just a tool and a foil to Sherlocks Genius, why bother with all the emotional sadism? why bother healing John"- Mrs Figg
Spoiler:

Simu post Kafria- but good points (with long posts I always select all and copy every so often so I have a back up- learnt that the hard way!)
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:00 pm

Kafria wrote:Just spent an age writing a response to some of the comments made in this thread and then the stupid machine deleted them. Will try summarise quickly.

Spoiler:

why dont you ever just spit out what you really think? veiled accusations really piss me off.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:07 pm

this episode is basically a Sherlock Holmes that bases its premise on the cult of personality. Its based purely on the personal charisma of Cumberbatch and Freeman. In this episode Sherlock Holmes does NO deducing at all. He relies on the trainspotter to inform him of the missing man, and any cabby in London could have found a shortcut to the churchyard where John was trapped. The only really 'clever' deducing Sherlock does is to find the off switch. The skeleton is so amateurish that before long it would have unravelled by itself. Molly sussed it was not old. This is what I dislike even more than the treatment of John, it wasnt actually a Sherlock Holmes episode. I have read the originals since I was a kid and have loved the various portrayals through the years, in particular Bretts perfect characterization. So for some idiot to say I dont like the original is an insult to my intelligence and taste, but of course it was meant to be a pathetic barb.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Kafria Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:10 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:

why dont you ever just spit out what you really think? veiled accusations really piss me off.

Was trying to suggest you both try and actually discuss this without it turning personal, sorry if that offends.

'A novel is a long piece of prose with ,in the eyes of the author at least, something wrong with it - Neil Gaiman, intro to American gods
Kafria
Kafria
Lady of Dale

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:12 pm

If you are so aware of the original stories Mrs Figg why then do you make a big deal out of Homes theatrical reappearance when it is in fact more literally theatrical- it a complete disguise- in the original story? Why are you not railing against Doyle for creating such a theatrical unsympathetic character? As beyond the change of disguise I dont see the difference.

It seems to me at times you are more concerned at getting digs in against moffat (desipite his only credit in this episode being cocreator) and myself than addressing the actual subject of the episode.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:15 pm

I have been addressing the subject of the episode for the last 3 pages, keep up.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:25 pm

Kafria wrote:
Mrs Figg wrote:

Was trying to suggest you both try and actually discuss this without it turning personal, sorry if that offends.

I'm with Kafia here. The Petty/Figg discussions can be very insightful, coming from two very different perspectives, like the old Siskel and Ebert movie reviews.
But it's a bit disappointing how often you both turn to discussing each other rather than the subject at hand. Not that a little dust-up can't fun from time to time, but clearly it's not always in fun. And when you two stop having fun writing, I stop having fun reading.
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:31 pm

One could say it comes close to overcompensating at times.  Rolling Eyes Laughing

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:43 pm

I try not to be personal but once it starts it tends to escalate, heckles go up-such is human nature. Figgs and I rub each other up the wrong way on a lot of subjects, thats just how it is. I am big enough and certainly old and drunk enough to take it and Im sure Figg can handle a bit of rough and tumble. Yeah she can drive me crazy at times as I do her, even make me genuinely cross so I respond in like, but then you cant ever get genuinely cross at someone you dont also genuinely care about and respect.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:49 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:I try not to be personal but once it starts it tends to escalate, heckles go up-such is human nature. Figgs and I rub each other up the wrong way on a lot of subjects, thats just how it is. I am big enough and certainly old and drunk enough to take it and Im sure Figg can handle a bit of rough and tumble. Yeah she can drive me crazy at times as I do her, even make me genuinely cross so I respond in like, but then you cant ever get genuinely cross at someone you dont also genuinely care about and respect.

You two's antics poisons the well for anyone else to try to jump in and participate in the discussion, though, and makes the whole thread unpleasant to read through much less post in.  IMO, of course.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:04 pm

Well my initial post that sparked this particular round of debate/argument was in fact responding to a post you made and trying to answer some of your questions and points raised.
I still dont know what you thought of the points I raised as you never responding to it, presumably for the reason given above.
Maybe however if you had the debate would have been different.
Perhaps sitting on fences occasionally throwing stones is no better place to be.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:05 pm

Classic overcompensating Eldo.  Nod 

{{{They're obviously madly in...}}}

Not that that is any big secret.  Rolling Eyes 

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:08 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Well my initial post that sparked this particular round of debate/argument was in fact responding to a post you  made and trying to answer some of your questions and points raised.
I still dont know what you thought of the points I raised as you never responding to it, presumably for the reason given above.
Maybe however if you had the debate would have been different.
Perhaps sitting on fences occasionally throwing stones is no better place to be.

Oh wow. Laughing So it's my fault the thread got derailed when I went to bed after making a post at nearly midnight my time and had to go to work in the morning?  Nice one, Petty.

And I've made a number of substantial posts; I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings by not responding to yours.  There was quite a bit to catch up on when I was able to read the thread again.

Last edited by Eldorion on Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:09 pm

As for you're points Figg, I agree with some of them.  Nod  And I do have some issues with Moffats writing from time to time too.

Though as this episode was written by Mark Gatiss I'm not sure I see the great relevance here. This is not Doctor Who where Moffat as script editor can replace about half of what someones written for an episode. (RTD was a lot worse at that by the way.)

As for the criticism I agree it lacked the deductions and mystery of other episodes, but I put that for a large part down to the fact that they had to use so much of the episodes running time on Sherlocks return and the open threads left by the last episode.

As I said it will be fairer to judge the series on that basis after the next episode.

I also thought it was a bit self referential with the actual "Sherlock fans" in the episode.

I think I've already adressed the Sherlock Watson relationship. To my mind Sherlock coming across as unapreciative and all that can be put down to faults in his own characters, not just Watsons, and it gives his character added depth.

So was it flawed?  Probably. Was it enjoyable? I thought so.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 28 ... 40  Next