Pettytyrant101
Norc
Eldorion
18 posters

Page 31 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 35 ... 40  Next

Go down

Sherlock - BBC [3] - Page 31 Empty Re: Sherlock - BBC [3]

Post by Ringdrotten Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:13 pm

Just watched the last one, and I'm neither impressed nor interested more seasons. This is turning into another Robert Downey Jr. version of Sherlock Holmes - entertaining, but where do they take the shit from? In fact I think I prefer the Downey Jr. films - at least they don't mix in book elements and make a mess of things. Mycroft and Sherlock hate each other, Lestrade adds nothing at all to the show, Moriarty is only there to make the show watchable for people high on shrooms, Mary is a professional intelligence agent and part-time assassin. Like I said, very entertaining, but not at all what I'd expect to see in a Sherlock Holmes show. Much like pot-smoking, rabbit-racing wizards might be entertaining on their own, just not in films based on books without such characters.

Sherlock - BBC [3] - Page 31 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:25 am

ok. since it is 2 in the morning i will wait until tomorrow to reply to that. because i disagree with u on every point.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:26 am

Eldorion wrote:But "dork" and "dick" are both slang terms for penis, so I'm not sure how that refutes anything.  (Was this a controversy to begin with?)

naah, they just mentioned their Chinese nicknames in that Q&A video i posted (the interviewer was trying to embarrass them/the fans).
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:06 pm

Norc wrote:i like that in that scene Mycroft just says "no" ready to cover for them both, but Sherlock just instantly blames Mycroft Laughing

Yeah.  Laughing Mycroft tries to clean it up by removing the problem, while Sherlock tries to confuse it by blaming someone else.

I'm not sure if Mark Gatiss gets enough credit for his portrayl. I think he's absolutely great as Mycroft.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:07 pm

I see you have some of the same view of this as you have of the Hobbit, Ringo. I can understand that view, as they have definitely made some alterations when updating the stories. I'm not sure the ability to stay close to the original stories are as available here. Most of the Holmes stories are short stories, and it's difficult to fill up an entier 90 minutes with just what Doyle wrote.

I think Moffat mentions exactly that in this panel Norc posted, Where he says something to the effect of :

"We do use the original stories, but the fact of the matter is that in most cases that will only fill up abiout 20 minutes of episode time. So additional writing is always needed."

He also says that the first 20 minutes of Scandal in Belgravia is about exactly taken from the original story, but that they had to add their own writing where Conan Doyles ended.

Norc wrote:also about the cliffhanger (11.44) https://youtu.be/1YR3VC_ac0M?t=11m44s :

Spoiler:

I'm quite sure he says it better than me.  Laughing  It's somewhere after 11:44.

And I thought His Last Vow actually stayed quited close to the original story, with the normal amount of alterations one expects in an update. Maybe as opposed to the previous two.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:55 pm

Bluebottle wrote:Most of the Holmes stories are short stories, and it's difficult to fill up an entier 90 minutes with just what Doyle wrote.

Much like how difficult it is to fill up 3 three-hour movies with material from a 300-page book Wink Though I don't think this show is nearly as bad as The Hobbit. There are alterations in plenty, but unlike in TH, they're well written and entertaining, but I still don't agree with many of these alterations, and the modernised version just doesn't appeal to me. Like I said, the show's beginning to resemble the Downey Jr. films, and if I want a "different" Holmes I think I prefer those.

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:25 pm

Man, I'm really glad that I'm able to enjoy well-written stories even when they diverge from the source material. You're a LOTR movie fan though, right Ringdrotten? Or has TH changed your opinion on that? I would think both the LOTR films and Sherlock are examples of divergences from the source material that nonetheless work on their own terms (although I haven't read the original SH stories).
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:40 pm

ok. so BBC sherlock is essentially a fanfiction. their updating to the modern world and the modern fans. it is written by die-hard fans, no honsetly, and the episodes are packed with hints and nods at the original. They have kept the characters and the essens of the Sherlock Holmes stories, the relationsship, the deductions, the mysteries, the surroundings, haven't changed. sherlock holmes was always a modern man, now he's a modern man in the modern times.

yes, ofcourse they've altered bits, but that's ok. it doesn't take anything away from sherlock holmes. and to be honest, there are lots of versions of sherlock holmes, and some of them aren't that brilliant. this one, in my opinion, is brilliant.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:52 pm

I love the LotR trilogy as much as I ever did. Somehow the positives outweigh the negatives for me in those films, and I don't think any amount of crabbit I am exposed to on this forum will ever change that. And like I said, I feel this series is well written and entertaining, and, as opposed to TH, worth a watch and works on its own terms very wel But it still is not Sherlock Holmes for me the way the LotR trilogy was LotR, despite its many divergences and flaws. The Sherlock Holmes stories are detective stories about a man with exeptional deduction skills, not a drama where wives are assassins and brothers are enemies. I just don't think those elements fit into a show about Holmes. I have to say, though, I thought the two first seasons were a lot better, though I didn't care much for the portrayal of Moriarty. In fact, it's this last episode of the third season that annoys me the most.

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:56 pm

Norc wrote:
there are lots of versions of sherlock holmes, and some of them aren't that brilliant. this one, in my opinion, is brilliant.

A lot of versions aren't brilliant, in fact they're complete and utter crap, and I'll agree that this one isn't that. Like I said in my above post, I agree with Eldo that it works on its own terms, much because the alterations are written in a way that make them coherent with the rest of the show's plot, and that is deserving of praise, I guess. But that doesn't mean I like it Wink

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:57 pm

well, let's just agree to disagree then. u have your reasons to not love it, i have my reasons to love it. and like u, no amount of crabbitness will change my view on sherlock, as no amount of crabbitness wil change your view on Lotr Wink

this video, diverting a bit, but it was really well made Smile
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:03 pm

It's interesting that you judge the episodes that way, Ringo. As a lot of people who says they like the show had the opposit reaction In that they liked the last episode, but not the first two.

We are of course crossing into opinion here as Norc said, so not sure how much there is to discuss. I don't think I see it as faultless either, and I definitely don't love everything Moffat writes. For some reason I just find it uncommonly enjoyable.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:16 pm

Agree to disagree (though I would never try to take away from people the joy they get from this series, I was just expressing how I felt about it) Wink

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:47 pm

Ringdrotten wrote:I love the LotR trilogy as much as I ever did. Somehow the positives outweigh the negatives for me in those films, and I don't think any amount of crabbit I am exposed to on this forum will ever change that. And like I said, I feel this series is well written and entertaining, and, as opposed to TH, worth a watch and works on its own terms very wel But it still is not Sherlock Holmes for me the way the LotR trilogy was LotR, despite its many divergences and flaws. The Sherlock Holmes stories are detective stories about a man with exeptional deduction skills, not a drama where wives are assassins and brothers are enemies. I just don't think those elements fit into a show about Holmes. I have to say, though, I thought the two first seasons were a lot better, though I didn't care much for the portrayal of Moriarty. In fact, it's this last episode of the third season that annoys me the most.

I agree with you Ringo, I think this season of Sherlock is pretty much style over substance, and it doesnt really seem to be about Sherlock Holmes showing his skills so much as Sherlock Holmes being adored by all who meet him, it feels more about a modern obsession with glamourous editing/camera effects/fan fiction rather than proper sleuthing. Brett is the real Sherlock, Cumberbatch is a charismatic guy who just happens to be called Sherlock. I liked the first two seasons but this one is a let down.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:04 pm

Sherlock - BBC [3] - Page 31 Sherlock1_zps06f96013

Sherlock - BBC [3] - Page 31 Sherlock3_zps770847ff

Sherlock - BBC [3] - Page 31 Sherlock2_zpsec741cbc

Sherlock - BBC [3] - Page 31 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Sherlock - BBC [3] - Page 31 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:44 pm

Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:54 pm

Such is the world we live in, looks fun  Smile 

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:54 pm

yupp, if i actually had a smart phone, i'de download it Razz
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:08 pm

Sherlock - BBC [3] - Page 31 Domjolyfone_zps15ac0397

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:03 am

Actually I don't think it's all smartphones even. If you have a Nokia or a Samsung you'll have no luck either.

It's only for iPhones it seems.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:18 am

Norc wrote:this video, diverting a bit, but it was really well made Smile

Very Happy

Kind of makes me feel like going back and watching the whole new series again.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:21 am

Its the opening music that does it for me, I get a little "tingle" & I wanna watch "Sherlock" again

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:39 am

Yes, also it showcases how many great moments there were in the series.  Nod 

Strangely, in my mind thinking back at it, the most intriguing crime mystery of the series ended up being the one from the wedding episode which everyone thought was the most mystery light.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:14 am

azriel wrote:Sherlock - BBC [3] - Page 31 Domjolyfone_zps15ac0397

yepp, that's me.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down