Eldorion
Ally
Ringdrotten
37 posters

Page 12 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next

Go down

The YouTube thread - Page 12 Empty Re: The YouTube thread

Post by Eldorion Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:28 pm

I'm listening to the soundtrack music from The Wicker Man that you posted earlier, Petty, and it's really good. Very Happy Based on the film's Wikipedia synopsis I don't know if I'd like it, since I'm not a big fan of horror movies (they're too scary for me Razz ) but the music is excellent. Cool
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:31 pm

Depends what you mean by horror. Its disturbing, never gory and never really violent. Its effect is pscholigical, the main character of the piece depending on your view is either a hero or a victim of his own beliefs, its horror for the mind. The atmosphere it creates is one of unease, uncertainy. I cannot recommend it enough but do please watcht the directors cut not the butchered theatrical release.

edit add- and Chris Lee really is superb in it, just think of all the hundreds of films he has been in, this is the one he rates and is most proud of!

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:35 pm

eek! Just took a look at the wiki entry- I hope you didnt read the whole thing Eldo! A film whose plot has to be expercienced not read about!!! Evil or Very Mad

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:37 pm

I'll have to see if I can find a copy of the Director's Cut, since it does sound like a very well-made film, though I'm not sure if I'd be able to convince anyone else in my family to watch it with me. Neutral
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:45 pm

Just for you Eldo- not sure how this one is there as there is nudity and definetly adult subject matter but lucky you it is. This seems to be the directors cut as the issing opening scenes are in it, picture quality varies between restored scenes and theatrical cut as the original incredibly was destroyed in an act of vandalism (you should hear Christopher Lee on that subject. Now thats crabbit!
Doubt it will be anything like you are expecting, you might even find it so odd you are not sure you want to watch it all- do stay with it though- its well worth the ride. A truly unique piece of cinema.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:06 am

Most of the film appears to be there and I just finished watching the first part, but Part 2 has been blocked on copyright grounds. Mad I enjoyed the first 10 minutes though, so I will see if I can find this on DVD or elsewhere. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:16 am

Mmm odd, I'm on part 3!!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:20 am

The error message I got said the video had been blocked by Lionsgate in my country. My guess is that Lionsgate is the U.S. distributor of the film and they put in a copyright violation notice to YouTube, so people in the U.S. can't see the video but people in the UK and perhaps elsewhere can. Parts 1 and 3 (and perhaps others) were not blocked, though. Rolling Eyes
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:31 am

Aargh!! What a pain.
Try this.

http://www.watchthisletme.com/external.php?title=The+Wicker+Man&url=aHR0cDovL3d3dy5tZWdhdmlkZW8uY29tL3YvTUdCNVBPWUo=&domain=bWVnYXZpZGVvLmNvbQ==&loggedin=0

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:49 am

You do seem to have a lot of handy sites up your sleeve for watching films and tv shows online, Petty Very Happy

The YouTube thread - Page 12 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:59 am

I dont have tv which might explain it! Everything I watch I watch online or on dvd. Very Happy

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:04 am

I prefer it that way myself, not a big fan of waiting a whole week for the next episode.

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:00 am

Will definitely watch the whole thing when I have time, Petty! I'll be sure to report back but I have high hopes already. I loved the last thing you introduced me to, Yes Minister, after all. Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:48 am

Very Happy So on that basis why you not watching Doctor Who yet?!!! Americans! Evil or Very Mad

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:28 am

Chris Lee on the Wickerman.

The Directors Cut is still not all the original film, but its 90% of it. The version he is referring to here seems to be before the release of the Directors Cut (whih dind't happen till the DVD rerelease) the release Mr Lee was upset by is the theatrical release which cuts an entire day and night from the script which is set over three days (and some of the most important scenes are ogne in the theatrical version-its a hatchet job).
And the 2006 Nicolas Cage Hollywood remake should only ever be watched as some sort of torture or punishment.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:30 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote: Very Happy So on that basis why you not watching Doctor Who yet?!!! Americans! Evil or Very Mad

Because I've gotten out of the habit of watching TV shows for now, though I'm trying to get back in. Razz

And the 2006 Nicolas Cage Hollywood remake should only ever be watched as some sort of torture or punishment.

I mentioned the name of the film to someone yesterday and they thought I meant the Nicolas Cage version, but I thought they were talking about a completely different film from the sound of it. Rolling Eyes I've never understood why some people feel they should remake classic films except just to make an easy buck off an established brand. Mad
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:35 pm

"I've gotten out of the habit of watching TV shows for now"- Eldo

Doctor Who isn't just a TV show! Shocked Its a way of life, a national instituion. Its not just for xmas its for life (and your childresn life and your grand childrens).

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Saradoc Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:29 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:I'm ignoring it Eldo on the basis that is an inherently nonsensical statement. The two concepts, PJ and Trustworthy, cannot be reconciled where Tolkien is concerned. The one cancels out the other.
And on reflection the same can be said for PJ and Judgement. For what judgement puts Legolas surfing a shield downstairs, or Frodo sending Sam home in the middle of Mordor. No judgement at all that is what.
Damn it! Turns it has made me crabbit after all.

That's what I was going to say- you have a funny way of ignoring things! With the Frodo sending Sam home, I strongly agree (WHAT WERE YOU THINKING PJ?) but as a kid, I can't say that seeing Legolas take down that oliphant wasn't pretty darn cool to watch!

Yes Minister & Yes Prime Minister is good (my father has the complete boxset) but a lot of it goes over my head most probably, it was before my time! And oh, Doctor Who is great! (Unless you're a moody teenager who wants to appear 'cool' Mad...but luckily I never was one of those!)

King Arthur: The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur. That is why I am your king.

Dennis the Peasant: Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
Saradoc
Saradoc
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:32 pm

Petty's taste in television shows is quite good - Yes (Prime) Minister, Doctor Who, Sherlock Holmes, all good shows Very Happy

And speaking of good television shows - here's one of the best scenes from Boardwalk Empire (I know it's not quite your thing, Petty, but this show isn't your typical gangster stuff, and this scene is great anyway Wink). All you need to know is this: the clan member is thought to have killed a friend of Chalky (the man with the tools) - enjoy Very Happy

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:10 pm

Saradoc wrote:Yes Minister & Yes Prime Minister is good (my father has the complete boxset) but a lot of it goes over my head most probably, it was before my time! And oh, Doctor Who is great! (Unless you're a moody teenager who wants to appear 'cool' Mad...but luckily I never was one of those!)

I don't get all the jokes in Yes Minister but as a political science student I love the satire. Very Happy And since everyone seems to think I need to watch Doctor maybe I should give it a try sooner. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:11 pm

Ringdrotten wrote:And speaking of good television shows - here's one of the best scenes from Boardwalk Empire (I know it's not quite your thing, Petty, but this show isn't your typical gangster stuff, and this scene is great anyway Wink). All you need to know is this: the clan member is thought to have killed a friend of Chalky (the man with the tools) - enjoy Very Happy

I saw a couple promos for Boardwalk Empire on HBO when I was watching Game of Thrones (though I've fallen behind on that) and I wasn't interested, but that was a pretty great scene. Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:20 pm

Even Petty would be pleased with that show's writing, it's excellent Very Happy

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:22 pm

It must be, if Petty would like it. Laughing
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:22 am

"Even Petty would be pleased with that show's writing, it's excellent."- Ringdrotten

Just had a chance to sit down with a cuppa and watch it. superb writing, lovely story (in a narrative sense not in content!), excellently told. To think how recent that sort of thing was and how terrifying it is that we are still so close to it that slipping back is always possible.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:29 am

"how terrifying it is that we are still so close to it that slipping back is always possible."

That is terrifying indeed. Only now it is the Muslims who are getting the worst of it (at least that's the case in Norway).

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next