Ringdrotten
Pettytyrant101
leelee
19 posters

Page 14 of 25 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 19 ... 25  Next

Go down

CUISINE - Page 14 Empty Re: CUISINE

Post by halfwise Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:51 pm

Peel and slice potatoes, then I suggest microwaving them until half cooked if you have a microwave.  In any rate your next step is browning them in a skillet with some oil, and it's easier to get them cooked all the way through without burning or turning oily if you microwave them first, but not necessary. Be sure to get the pan to medium hot before putting anything in. Throw some thinly sliced onions in there with the potatoes as you brown them (at the same time if microwaved, when you flip to brown the other side if not microwaved).  Sprinkle salt as they cook.

As they are browning beat up some eggs in a bowl, add half a teaspoon of salt and some pepper.  Chop up some fresh herbs and stir them in: pretty essential.

When browned, mess around potatoes and onions so that they have an open structure. Pour egg mixture over potatoes and shake a bit to let it settle to the bottom, turn heat to medium and cover for a few minutes.  When the edges seem dry and the middle top is beginning to firm up, now comes the hard part: flip the damn thing and brown the other side.  

It's best probably to brown your potatoes and onions in small single portion batches so that the egg poured over is thin, then it's easier to flip.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:41 pm

sounds easy enough pale all I need now is to master my cooking phobia. No
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:49 pm

Try it when nobody's watching. Don't cut yourself.

Just realized: if your oven has a broiler there's no need to flip. Just stick it under the broiler until cooked on top. This is the traditional method. You need to use a pan that doesn't have plastic or wooden handles, though.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:08 pm

no broiler. no skillet. no hope. No this will be exactly the 5th time I have cooked a meal. Hurr durr
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:53 am

You can cook it in the bottom of a pot, but flipping it will be a bitch. Actually, cook it on the bottom of a pot with the lid on until it's cooked through, then you can invert on a plate and nobody will know the bottom (which used to be the top) is not browned.

Why do you have to make this thing anyway?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:33 am

Don't think I've made Spanish omelette, Figg. So, don't think I can help you on the specifics. But here are some general tips.

1. If you are going to make this for a special occasion or something make sure to trial run it once, or even twice, before then. Then you'll know how to make it, and you will know what you need to look out for.

2. Find an easy step by step recipe to guide you through.

This one seems quite simple.

Ingredients
500g new potatoes
1 onion, preferably white
150ml extra-virgin olive oil
3 tbsp chopped flatleaf parsley
6 eggs

Method
1. Scrape the potatoes or leave the skins on, if you prefer. Cut them into thick slices. Chop the onion.

2. Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the potatoes and onion and stew gently, partially covered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally until the potatoes are softened. Strain the potatoes and onions through a colander into a large bowl (set the strained oil aside).

3. Beat the eggs separately, then stir into the potatoes with the parsley and plenty of salt and pepper. Heat a little of the strained oil in a smaller pan. Tip everything into the pan and cook on a moderate heat, using a spatula to shape the omelette into a cushion.

4. When almost set, invert on a plate and slide back into the pan and cook a few more minutes. Invert twice more, cooking the omelette briefly each time and pressing the edges to keep the cushion shape. Slide on to a plate and cool for 10 minutes before serving.
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2738/real-spanish-omelette

And then you can just ask us if you are unsure about any of the steps or want to amend them with Halfwise recipe. I think preparation and clear instructions are the key, particularly if you are a bit nervous. Smile

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:02 pm

Bit nervous is an understatement. pale I have a weird food making phobia. dunno why. Embarassed

Halfy, I need to know how to make something cheap and nutritious if I run out of money when I go home to the UK cos its so expensive there. I figured omelette would be easy to make too.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:22 am

Oh, then you didn't have to focus on the Spanish omelet. What's wrong with a sammich?

Or simplify the omelet recipe. Same as above, but you can cook any vegetables, not just potatoes and onions. And no need to flip: after it's getting a bit dry around the edges and creamy in the middle, sprinkle some cheese on top, get a spatula under one edge and fold one half over the other. Put a lid on it, turn off the heat and leave for a few minutes to finish cooking.

eat.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:20 pm

I like the cheese idea. I think I might do a dry run this weekend and then its not so traumatic when I actually need to do it when I am hungry. Very Happy I suppose stir fry is also easy but you need a wok and I don't have one.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:54 pm

Don't need a wok for stir fry.  All you need is to not overcrowd the pan (or bottom of a pot).  I suggest cooking each ingredient individually (always at the highest heat possible with constant stirring, letting the pan reach heat before you add anything), then fry some spices/herbs at the bottom of the pot, throw everything back in with a dash of broth (if you have it, water if you don't) and some asian sauce (soy sauce at the least, other things if you have it) stir it around a bit while the sauce cooks down, and there you go.  Actually, cook down the broth and sauces a bit before you throw everything back in.

In fact you can make a western stir fry by just omitting the asian sauces at the end.  potatoes, peppers and onions, maybe some meat.  At the end toss some cheese on top to melt into a wonderful gooey mess (but don't tell Petty).

Cooking really isn't hard.  Just takes some experience to learn things like cooking ingredients separately in a stir fry, etc.  Then it's all creativity and happenstance.  Don't fear the failure - nobody has to eat it but you.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:12 pm

yep I know cooking isn't really difficult, but my fear of cooking isn't really logical and I freak out and get teary. its silly and I need to man up and make that damned quiche.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:35 pm

Laughing

Quiche is actually one of my favorite things to make. it may be easier than an omelette because you don't have to flip it.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:21 am

I know just what you need, Figg. It's.. wait for it.. Gordon Ramsay. Nod

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:32 pm

CUISINE - Page 14 20-Minute-Heirloom-Tomato-Basil-Chicken-Parmesan-Bolognese-1
http://www.halfbakedharvest.com/20-minute-heirloom-tomato-basil-chicken-parmesan-bolognese/

CUISINE - Page 14 Drool

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:32 pm

I think I should go eat something. Looking at that made me a little too hungry. Razz

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:55 pm

The artful arrangement made it look better than the simple recipe would lead you to expect.  And also look more difficult.  But isn't a bolognese supposed to have milk or cream in the meat sauce?  Or is it defined by ground meat?

Last edited by halfwise on Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:56 pm

anxiously awaiting the Figgs report on the weekend reconnaissance into cooking.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:25 pm

Yes, Figg. How did it go? bounce

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:25 pm

halfwise wrote:The artful arrangement made it look better than the simple recipe would lead you to expect.  And also look more difficult.  But isn't a bolognese supposed to have milk or cream in the meat sauce?  Or is it defined by ground meat?

Well, I guess some people would use the term simply as a way of referring to some ground meat in tomato sauce. But that's certainly not something someone from Bologna would do. For a bolognese, I'd be expecting some carrots, some onion, and some wine, to say the last. Shrugging

It looks good though. Think I might attempt it at some point. Smile

As for bolognese, this one's pretty good.

(Although I'm not sure what the bolognese would say to the Worcester sauce. Razz Or the milk..)

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:58 pm

The wine is in the recipe you posted. But as I said before, I believe the milk is a defining ingredient of a bolognese.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:03 pm

Seems so. Shrugging

Ingredient notes:

Onion, celery, carrots: Now is the time to use your knife skills. Dice everything evenly in small ¼-inch dices. The size uniformity of these ingredients will allow them to cook evenly and will produce a more enjoyable texture. By the way, this combination of ingredients, cooked in olive oil and seasoned with salt and pepper, is called a soffritto and is the base of many Italian dishes.
Tomatoes are not a main ingredient in the sauce – you add a bit of it for taste but it is a meat sauce, first and foremost.
Meats: Use lean ground meat (for a special treat, ask your butcher to chop the meats coarsely – 1/3 inch thick) and best-quality pancetta.
Milk: Yes, milk is the surprise ingredient responsible for producing a more orange than red sauce (it also makes the meat more tender). Do not use cream.
Broth: Although the registered 1982 recipe doesn’t include broth, most recipes I’ve encountered include some instead of water. It makes more sense to me taste-wise to choose beef over chicken broth.
Seasoning: This recipe (perhaps surprisingly) does not contain any aromatic herbs or spices. It is frowned upon to add bay leaves or red pepper flakes. The only flavoring in this recipe is sea salt and black pepper. It is highly recommended to use sea or kosher salt as it lends a more refined taste than regular table salt.
Pasta: This is a hearty sauce that should be eaten on pasta that can support its weight: it is often served with the wide and flat tagliatelle (fresh or dry).
Cheese: Please – please – use only freshly grated authentic parmigiano-reggiano. It makes all the difference in the world.
Method: Finally, note that this sauce doesn’t like to be rushed. Some recipes with offer shortcuts but the only way to allow the flavors to develop fully and the sauce to become so rich is a very long simmering – and I mean, 4 hours long. The base of the recipe isn’t complicated or time-consuming to make and the rest is just passive time in the kitchen. You start a bit batch, stir in once in a while and enjoy for many meals to come.
http://foodnouveau.com/destinations/europe/italy/how-to-make-an-authentic-bolognese-sauce/

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:53 pm

Yahoo finally saw fit to print something newsworthy: a test of techniques for keeping cut avocado green:

http://news.yahoo.com/the-foolproof-trick-to-stop-a-cut-avocado-turning-131713222.html

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:16 pm

Onions it is then. Shocked

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:15 pm

I'm making gooseberry jam! cheers

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:45 pm

OOo, I like Goozgogs ! Nod
My grandad used to grow bushes of them when I was a child. I used to eat them straight off the bush. I used to eat raw sausages to ! God was I a mixed up kid pale

CUISINE - Page 14 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

CUISINE - Page 14 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 25 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 19 ... 25  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum