Sinister71
halfwise
Elthir
malickfan
Norc
19 posters

Page 4 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next

Go down

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [2] [SPOILERS] - Page 4 Empty Re: The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [2] [SPOILERS]

Post by malickfan Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:11 am

Can I just say...The Hobbit film must have been even worse than I remembered If a 21 year Old is voluntarily discussing Politics...Smile Smile Smile 

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [2] [SPOILERS] - Page 4 Empty Re: The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [2] [SPOILERS]

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:22 am

Another question is if they'll still use the word British as an adjective for the UK- ELdo

Probably, in much the same way Scandinavian covers several countries.

I was actually Joking Petty no skin of my nose if Scotland goes independant- Malick

Always bear in mind Forumshire Rule 4- as quoted from Eldo's Big Book of Sticky Rules, in the Site Issues section-

4. Don't take anything too seriously.

drunken 

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:32 am

4. Don't take anything too seriously.

[/quote]

Well, since I started A thread on the merits of cheese in my second post hear I think I'll fit in.

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:38 am

Stilton with Apricots! I finally remembered the name of the cheese I couldnt remember on your cheese thread cheers Where's Kafria when I need to tell her something? Mad 

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:18 am

Mmm Stilton and Apricots is nice, but I'm a Blue Cheese guy-what better way to improve curdled milk than with mould? Yum!

Though I actually did come across some German Smoked Cheese containing Bacon-as has been scientifically proven everything is better with Bacon.

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:55 am

So I went looking for the thread you started about cheese, and eventually after much consternation realized you must have started it in Bree.

Or should I say, Brie.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:47 am

malickfan wrote:Can I just say...The Hobbit film must have been even worse than I remembered If a 21 year Old is voluntarily discussing Politics...Smile Smile Smile 
Haha, I majored in political science in college, so don't get me started or I won't be able to shut up. It was all I could do not to respond to the DC and Puerto Rico question. Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:50 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Probably, in much the same way Scandinavian covers several countries.
They don't use Scandinavian as a national demonym for a single country, but that's how the British/Briton is currently used. If Scotland leaves the United Kingdom, what would you call an inhabitant of the resultant rump state? A UKer? It wouldn't make much sense to call the country British if it doesn't include Scotland, but then again, Northern Ireland (sometimes) gets lumped in as "British" nowadays so who knows.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:35 am

Well... the islands are the british isles... just so happens 3 of the 4 countries in the UK are on the big one.

Polls at the moment suggest scots will vote in favour of the union.... but that could all change by dec 2014. Those pesky 'I dont know' people are the ones to watch. Cameron should dish out some free pints the week before... he would win the vote hands down!!
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:24 am

Northern Ireland (sometimes) gets lumped in as "British" nowadays so who knows - Eldo

Shouldn't it (honest question!)?

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [2] [SPOILERS] - Page 4 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by CC12 35 Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:30 am

Great Britain = kingdoms of England and Scotland (wales is a principality of England)

Britain is just England and Wales

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (UK) =is NI and Great Britain combined

Gypsy gal, the hands of Harlem

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:55 am

Thanks for the clarification CC, so it should still be Great Britain- to refer collectively to the mainland- as Scotland and England will still be two kingdoms.
And the UK will be England and NI.
And Britain remains as it is now.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:58 am

jeesus.. complicated..
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:00 am

Yup most of us living here couldnt tell you what all the different names mean or use them wrongly ourselves!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:07 am

which is the main reason why scotland wants to break free, ja?
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:29 am

CC12 35 wrote:Great Britain = kingdoms of England and Scotland (wales is a principality of England)

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (UK) =is NI and Great Britain combined  
I had no idea:oops:  Thanks Very Happy

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [2] [SPOILERS] - Page 4 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:50 am

CC12 35 wrote:Great Britain = kingdoms of England and Scotland (wales is a principality of England)

Yey me, I knew parts of that!

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by CC12 35 Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:19 pm

Amarië wrote:

Yey me, I knew parts of that!
tey say "amarieco ur rhymes so clever.Wen can u teach me?" I respond "Never" can't be taught str8 off the dome. freestylefridays til I go home #nowledge #yay

Gypsy gal, the hands of Harlem

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:07 pm

Word!

ORD!!

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:01 pm

I've never heard that one before. scratch Although to be honest I've never heard "Britain" used much except as a contraction of "Great Britain". I assume the usage go back to Roman times, when the province of Britain stopped at Hadrian's Wall?
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:43 pm

Scottland and England don't get petty started,he'll be sporting the blue face paint and yelling freedom like in Braveheart pub 

Suspect  NEVERMIND I'LL BE OVER HERE KEEPING MY MOUTH SHUT Suspect
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:01 am

Funnily enough we never shouted freedom. We Scots dont think of freedom as something you can export or impose, that seems very strange thinking. All you can do with freedom is defend it.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:40 am

I think the cross of St George would be brilliant, much nicer than the Union Jack. The cross has a more English and heraldic medieval feel about it that I like.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:42 am

Wouldnt that just be the English flag? scratch 
What about the Welsh and the Northern Irish?

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:45 am

we could have the Welsh Red Dragon in the middle of the cross, but if people dont want to be part of the Union they should be left off our flag.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next