Sinister71
halfwise
Elthir
malickfan
Norc
19 posters

Page 3 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Go down

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [2] [SPOILERS] - Page 3 Empty Re: The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [2] [SPOILERS]

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:32 pm

nice. sounds like my kind of pad.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [2] [SPOILERS] - Page 3 Empty Re: The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [2] [SPOILERS]

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:34 pm

Wasnt a fan of Signs- was like a poor rip of war of the worlds, and not anywhere near as good (compared to the book I mean, not the Spielberg abomination)

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:40 pm

it wasn't about the story at all: it was about the build up of the audience's nervousness, hitting the scream points just once.

Yes, when we first saw the alien heel disappear into the corn, I actually heard screams in the audience. And the arms reaching for the kid when the lights went on, and the flicker of the alien pacing reflected in the knife. All were done with such beautiful, precise timing. Played the audience like a fiddle.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:41 pm

I liked Signs, it was quite eerie.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:51 pm

I think he is a better ideas man than a film maker myself- felt the same with the Village and the Happening- great ideas poor execution and cheap tricks, writing wise.
Yet I absolutely  loved Lady in the Water, his best film in my opinion.

For me a master of this stuff, like say Hitchock, I dont feel Im just being manipulated because its more skillfully done. Whereas I tend to fell watching his films they are a bit smug about how clever their twists are, and it feels manipulative and false.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:01 pm

Petty.... I can see some similarities with war of the worlds... but Spielberg's version more than any other. I liked that it followed a family in the middle of nowhere rather than roland emmerich blowing the shit out of as many monuments as possible.

I thought it had quite a good atmosphere to it. There werent any twists... it was quite a simple story really. I thought the end sucked a little though.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:06 pm

You are right about twists and Signs Lance- I was speaking more about his films in general, I should have made that clearer- like the ghost one.
For me he either relies on a big twist, that if you see it coming as I did with the ghost one it means the films largely redundant, or he has an intriguing premise with a poor unsatisfying resolution (Signs, The Village and The Happening)

I loathed Speilbers War of the Worlds- one of the most cowardly scripts Ive ever seen, and dumped Speilberg well down in my estimations.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:13 pm

I dont know what other ones of his (not attempting to spell his name) I have seen to comment further.

I think Signs fell foul of the 'need' for a resolution which he decided would be a poorly CGI'd alien out for some revenge who happens to have mel gibsons post code already in the TomTom and who happens to have been 'seen' by his long decapitated wife.

I don't think the film needed that resolution. The Aliens could have just been gone with the climax being getting outside with the relevant medicine administered.

Or at least not an Alien that wouldnt look out of place in a stop animation Sinbad movie.

Last edited by Lancebloke on Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:28 pm

Lady in the Water is worth a watch- I really liked it- its a nice simple modern fairytale.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:59 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:At this point I will probably go to see DOS and hope at least the landscapes and Erebor/Dale/Mirkwood/Thranduils Palace look good. I may just go to see Thranduil, all the rest is just fluff.
Couldn't agree more Figgs. I'm already this far in I might just as well finish the train wreck. Personally my hopes have been shattered and I really don't think I will care for much in DOS but heck I'm only gonna spend 5 bucks to see it anyways. Even if I end up only buying a bootleg copy from the guy at the flea market I'm still only spending 5 bucks.

I refer to the Hobbit films to a friend of mine as a train wreck or a Tijuana donkey show. Something you don't want to see but can't look away either.

What's even worse is the fact that these films didn't need to be this bad, it's all the poor choices Jackson made, from the alterations of his own created middle earth making it more of a generic fantasy world to making up plot/ story lines that completely contradict the works of J RR Tolkien. How bad the films are has nothing to do with the source material but how poorly Jackson and his co-writers interpreted that material and deliberately altered it to fit THEIR image
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:07 pm

Sinister71 wrote:But that ending would take tact and subtlety both things that Jackson lacks in his film making
The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [2] [SPOILERS] - Page 3 IqfmxA0kFppau

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:12 pm

why oh why did we actually have to see the Ring being lost by Gollum, does PJ think our little brains cant cope with the book version?
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:13 pm

Hey Everyone! Remember Lord of the Rings?
Translated.

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:36 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:why oh why did we actually have to see the Ring being lost by Gollum, does PJ think our little brains cant cope with the book version?
No, it's just that Jackson is a brainier Oscar winning genius so he obviously knows the story better than the fans scholars or Tolkiens family who have been ripping the shit out of him for a decade.

It's getting to the point where I feel I'd find a trainwreck more exciting then DOT (Desecration of Tolkien as I refer to the 2nd hobbit film).

Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil 

Just out of Interest why is Norway the only country with an Emoticon?

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:37 pm

Just swung by Bree, it's as dead as my soul will be after watching DOT: Legolas and Tauriel the Magical Plank Ninja Adventures.

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:44 pm

malickfan wrote:Just out of Interest why is Norway the only country with an Emoticon?
US and Australia also have emoticons, which I first saw on another forum I used to visit and liked. Very Happy Then Norc started complaining that there should be a Norwegian one so I made it myself, which is why it looks very different from the others (since my photoshop skills are amateurish at best). I tried making British and Scottish emoticons too but I wasn't pleased with how either of them turned out.

USA Ozzies Norway
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:52 pm

Ah Ok, I don't have Photoshop...typical the scots get their: own flag...Laughing 

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:37 am

The Saltire is believed to be one of the oldest flags in Europe- and your Union Jack is going to look a bit rubbish when its gone! Very Happy 

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [2] [SPOILERS] - Page 3 SNN1406GXB-682_1437682a_zps492e3c86

Or maybe this time out you wont forget about the Welsh! Laughing 

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [2] [SPOILERS] - Page 3 AJJCN_zpsc4817966

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:50 am

Wouldn't they use the Cross of St David for Wales in the event that they replaced Scotland on the flag?

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [2] [SPOILERS] - Page 3 0GJE0OL

(Source.)

Last edited by Eldorion on Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:51 am

Laughing Thats even worse looking! (In less you are planning on a tolitarian take over maybe!)

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:53 am

Yeah, their best bet is probably just to leave the Saltire on there.  Or replace it with a simple Cross of St George.  Although the St George/St Patrick version isn't that bad IMO.  The green and black backgrounds are just weird-looking, but the white background is the same as both flags and works well enough.

Another question is if they'll still use the word British as an adjective for the UK, since Britain wouldn't be a single country anymore. Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:59 am

Just as long as we don't try incorparating Cornwall's Flag then I'm Ok.

I was actually Joking Petty no skin of my nose if Scotland goes independant, I never liked deep fried Mars Bars that much anyway...(though funnily enough the only place I've ever seen them on sale is on The Isle of Wight)

Last edited by malickfan on Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:06 am; edited 1 time in total

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:04 am

In My Experience British is Often used interchangebly with English, anyway 'Oh You've got a British Accent!'-There is a big difference between say a Cardiff Accent and a Glaswegian accent, both are British accents but Neither are English. It sounds obvious but even an American Teacher I had at Seconadary School considered British and English the Same thing.

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:07 am

Fortunately I learned about the differences between Britain and the constituent countries before I started posting actively on the Internet, so I've spared the worst embarrassments of that sort. Laughing Although I still think it's weird that people from Northern Ireland have "British" on their passport. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:09 am

Then Again I had a fellow student in the same class as said Teacher who thought London was a seperate country, so rest assured even Brits get confused (although she was an utter idiot).

It's sorta the same with Puerto Rico and Washington DC-are they US states?

Last edited by malickfan on Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:13 am; edited 1 time in total

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next