Ringdrotten
halfwise
CC12 35
25 posters

Page 9 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24 ... 40  Next

Go down

Holidays and absences [2] - Page 9 Empty Re: Holidays and absences [2]

Post by Lancebloke Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:56 pm

This doesn't do it justice by a long shot.

Holidays and absences [2] - Page 9 IMG_1280

Holidays and absences [2] - Page 9 IMG_1289
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:03 pm

So barren at the top! But i guess that's what really high mountains do.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:04 pm

Jungle at the bottom, wasteland at the top.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:21 pm

The more I look at the tips, the more useful and well thought out they appear.  I'm sure the guides will be telling us to force the food down, but it makes for a lot less crabbit if you are expecting it.  and when wearing layers you often don't have warm pocketses for hands, so knowing that the wind may make you lose something is a good reminder to bring extra gloves, caps, etc. And I doubt even the ski patrol guy going with us will have thought about anti-freeze for the drinking water. Some powdered gatorade might do the trick.

very well done, you've probably saved 8 people a load of misery.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:38 am

halfwise wrote:The more I look at the tips, the more useful and well thought out they appear.  I'm sure the guides will be telling us to force the food down, but it makes for a lot less crabbit if you are expecting it.  and when wearing layers you often don't have warm pocketses for hands, so knowing that the wind may make you lose something is a good reminder to bring extra gloves, caps, etc.  And I doubt even the ski patrol guy going with us will have thought about anti-freeze for the drinking water.  Some powdered gatorade might do the trick.

very well done, you've probably saved 8 people a load of misery.

and me.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:52 am

And you?

Halfy - I got some helpful tips before I went too. Kilimanjaro is the kind of place that everyone will have their own experience, so I am sure you would give a couple of tips afterwards that I haven't.

Hope you enjoy it!!
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:59 pm

Eldorion wrote:Hoppy Easter, Blue!  Hope you have a good time. Smile

And hold in there, Lance!  :hug: 

Thank you, Eldo. Smile  I did. 

And, yes, hang in there Lance. Nod I certainly get that August must seem a looong way away.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorient Avandi Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:41 am

Well, sorry for my absence guys. I don't even remember the last time I posted on here. I have really been wrapped up with school work, social crap, preparing for college, and preparing for an LDS mission. I cant guarantee I will be super active but I want to try to post more often and check out the forums more, I have missed it here and I know I have catching up to do.

Wizard of Magicland

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:27 am

woah cool mountain Very Happy
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:53 pm

Lorient!  cheers Welcome back. (Whats a LDS mission, is it like a LSD mission for dyslexic people?)

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:11 pm

Lorient Avandi wrote:Well, sorry for my absence guys. I don't even remember the last time I posted on here. I have really been wrapped up with school work, social crap, preparing for college, and preparing for an LDS mission. I cant guarantee I will be super active but I want to try to post more often and check out the forums more, I have missed it here and I know I have catching up to do.

Welcome back Lorient! cheers 

I remember you were hoping to be called to an English speaking mission. How's that worked out?

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:53 pm

Aw shit, welcome back, Lorient!  It's great to see you again.  I had been wondering if you were already on your mission since you'd been gone for so long.  How have things been for you?  Did you get a chance to see DOS?  You've gotta let us know what you thought. Very Happy

I hope you'll be able to drop by as time permits! Thumbs Up

David H wrote:I remember you were hoping to be called to an English speaking mission. How's that worked out?

I remember you talking about that too, Lorient.  I hope you're happy with the location (if you've found out by now). Are you doing that before college?
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorient Avandi Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:40 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Lorient! cheers Welcome back. (Whats a LDS mission, is it like a LSD mission for dyslexic people?)

Its a mssion for the Mormon Church. I get assigned to go somewhere for two years and teach (and hopefully convert) people about the LDS church and what we believe.

Eldorion wrote:Aw shit, welcome back, Lorient!  It's great to see you again.  I had been wondering if you were already on your mission since you'd been gone for so long.  How have things been for you?  Did you get a chance to see DOS?  You've gotta let us know what you thought. Very Happy

I hope you'll be able to drop by as time permits! Thumbs Up

David H wrote:I remember you were hoping to be called to an English speaking mission. How's that worked out?

I remember you talking about that too, Lorient.  I hope you're happy with the location (if you've found out by now). Are you doing that before college?

I have received my call, and I'm going to ........[drum roll]........ Columbus, Ohio! And its English Speaking (thank goodness). I leave on July 23rd, so its coming up fast!

I have been able to see DOS, and while I thought it was better than AUJ, I still didn't think it was fantastic. Still hated the CGI (aside from Smaug), Tauriel was weird, the whole barrel scene was too ridiculous, and the ending was crap. If time allows I will post my more detailed feelings in the movie thread.

Wizard of Magicland

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:52 pm

Good to hear you got your posting Lorient.

Are they God-fearing sorts in Ohio? I always get mixed up with which US sates are strongly religious and which are not.

I'm afraid all I know about Ohio is there are a lot of farms and James T Kirk comes from there.  Very Happy 

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:55 pm

You're thinking of Iowa, Petty. Wink Ohio has farms, but it also has a lot more industry (or used to). Columbus is a relatively large city, although not located in one of the major urban belts.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:56 pm

They sound very alike in a Scottish accent, and in drunk speak  drunken 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:57 pm

Lorient Avandi wrote:I have received my call, and I'm going to ........[drum roll]........ Columbus, Ohio! And its English Speaking (thank goodness). I leave on July 23rd, so its coming up fast!

I have been able to see DOS, and while I thought it was better than AUJ, I still didn't think it was fantastic. Still hated the CGI (aside from Smaug), Tauriel was weird,  the whole barrel scene was too ridiculous, and the ending was crap. If time allows I will post my more detailed feelings in the movie thread.

Dang, that is soon. Well, at least they have movie theatres in Columbus, so hopefully you'll be able to see TABA BOFA in December. Nod The few missionaries I know all went overseas, so I'm sure it's a very different experience working Stateside, but I wish you all the best!

Your feelings on DOS seem to be somewhat similar to mine. Although quite a few people who liked AUJ seem to have thought DOS even worse. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:00 pm

Deciding which is better between AUJ and DOS is a bit like deciding if its better to be kicked in the left or right testicle- it doesn't really matter, they both hurt.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:22 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:They sound very alike in a Scottish accent, and in drunk speak  drunken 

Most things do, when you come right down to it.

I went to college in Walla Walla. I think you''ll find that flows particularly nicely off a drunken tongue. drunken  Pokey Tongue 
'

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:29 pm

Now thats a good place name for a drunk  Nod 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorient Avandi Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:03 pm

Eldorion wrote:
Lorient Avandi wrote:I have received my call, and I'm going to ........[drum roll]........ Columbus, Ohio! And its English Speaking (thank goodness). I leave on July 23rd, so its coming up fast!

I have been able to see DOS, and while I thought it was better than AUJ, I still didn't think it was fantastic. Still hated the CGI (aside from Smaug), Tauriel was weird,  the whole barrel scene was too ridiculous, and the ending was crap. If time allows I will post my more detailed feelings in the movie thread.

Dang, that is soon.  Well, at least they have movie theatres in Columbus, so hopefully you'll be able to see TABA BOFA in December. :nod:The few missionaries I know all went overseas, so I'm sure it's a very different experience working Stateside, but I wish you all the best!

Your feelings on DOS seem to be somewhat similar to mine.  Although quite a few people who liked AUJ seem to have thought DOS even worse. Razz

Sadly, I will not be able to watch BOFA when it comes out, as LDS missionaries are not allowed to watch films while out in the field (unless they are  church films used for the purpose of teaching), so you can bet I will be seeing that in 2 years, along with the rest of the movies I will no doubt be missing.

Yea, it would definitely be a much different experience staying stateside as opposed to going foreign. So far I'm one of two people I know who is going stateside and speaking English, which is interesting because I've normally heard of more.

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Are they God-fearing sorts in Ohio? I always get mixed up with which US sates are strongly religious and which are not

Not especially, according to Wikipedia, only about 40% of Columbus is religious.

Wizard of Magicland

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:54 am

Looks like I am going to be planning 3 months in South America very soon, if my boss allows me to take the time off that is. Going to ask today.

Will take a nice chunk off of my 'to visit' list but does mean being away from everyone and life for a reasonable amount of time.

Anyone fancy coming?
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:20 pm

will it involve bouncing down donkey tracks over 100ft cliffs, swimming piranha infested rivers and dodging blood crazed drug barons?, or will it involve lounging by a pool getting pedicures? because if its plan A. I am busy.  Shocked 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:58 pm

Probably a good deal of plan A... A bit of plan B.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:08 pm

3 months?!  Shocked  Wish I could afford that kind of thing.  

Been to Argentina for business (I'll leave out my attempt to tango), Peru to hike the Inca Trail (hot tip: visit the chocolate museum in Cuzco and learn to make chocolate starting from the beans.  I didn't have time to do it but all the cute young things (I'm talking 20 somethings) that did seemed to be having a great time.)  In both countries I got a great feeling. Lovely people.  Wish I could go with you and see Rio and the Amazon!

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24 ... 40  Next