Ringdrotten
halfwise
CC12 35
25 posters

Page 24 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 32 ... 40  Next

Go down

Holidays and absences [2] - Page 24 Empty Re: Holidays and absences [2]

Post by Lancebloke Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:03 pm

Just back from the Galapagos! Need to sort out my videos and pictures tomorrow, but got to play with a sealion and some penguins in the water!!

Halfy - no, I haven't read Moby Dick. There are lots of stories about whaling here though so doesn't surprise me.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:45 pm

For anyone interested, just updated my page.

http://www.lancebloke.com/travel-blog.html
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:23 pm

Thumbs Up fantastic Lance it looks wonderful. Razz
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:02 pm

Beautiful pictures as always Lance!
This is a wonderful time of year to be seeing the Southern Hemisphere.
How's the weather been so far?

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:41 pm

Cloudy in Quito. Hot on the galapagos... i have quite the sun burn going on!!
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:12 pm

Lancebloke wrote: i have quite the sun burn going on!!

Thumbs Up

a little jealous here.

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:59 am

I half envy you Lance Smile Lovely page, very interesting Thumbs Up

Holidays and absences [2] - Page 24 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Holidays and absences [2] - Page 24 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:31 am

My dad, my brother, and I did our second day of skiing today, and are heading home tomorrow (it's about an 8.5 hour drive).  We asked someone to take a picture of us on one of the peaks.  It was taken on my dad's vintage iPhone, so the quality isn't great and you can't see the beautiful views that were in the background.  There had been freezing rain two nights ago and then like 4-5 inches over the preceding 24 hours, so everything was coated in snow, like a postcard.  It also made the skiing conditions phenomenal, particularly on the ungroomed trails and the designated ski-in-between-trees areas.

Holidays and absences [2] - Page 24 Qtc8j07l

Speaking of the trees, I did get tossed around a bit and probably have a few bruises, but fortunately nothing serious (worst I've ever had is a sprain though so I can't really complain about skiing injuries).  I always have trouble with finding boots that fit since my feet are so wide, but it wasn't too much of an issue this year.  None of us are very good skiers, and I'm probably the worst in the family (of those who ski at all, which is only three of us), but the mountain we go to most often isn't Olympic-level like some of the ones up here, though it has a pleasant mix of difficulty levels.

Unfortunately we have to head up this far north to get decent skiing; all the places in Maryland and the mid-Atlantic have to use almost entirely artificial snow, and they ice over really easy since the stuff melts every day before refreezing at night. But the daytime temperatures for our first day of skiing hovered around -5 Fahrenheit (about -21 C). That was fairly miserable in its own right, though it sure beat seeing green grass underneath the ski lifts, which has happened on occasion further south. Today the temperature was about 20 F (-7 C), which was a lot nicer and made for some wonderful skiing conditions, especially with the light snowfall throughout the day.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:06 am

Thats a really nice picture Eldo Very Happy You all look so content & happy Smile You look like your dad in that pic ?

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:54 pm

Whoah Lance, Quito looks far cooler than I imagined! Great seal pic.

Mrs Figg wrote:
halfwise wrote:
Mrs Figg wrote:I am at Bologna airport going to Hingerlandia might be offline for a while as Scott of the Antarctica once said or was it Captain Oates?. anyway famous last words.

Hingerlandia??

the H is silent. Sleep

That 'hint' still doesn't help. Suspect

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:10 pm

Azriel - Thanks! You're correct,  I'm the one in the middle. My brother and I look nothing alike except for our eyes; he takes more after our mom's side.

Halfy - pretty sure she means England.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:18 pm

halfwise wrote:Whoah Lance,  Quito looks far cooler than I imagined!  Great seal pic.

Mrs Figg wrote:
halfwise wrote:
Mrs Figg wrote:I am at Bologna airport going to Hingerlandia might be offline for a while as Scott of the Antarctica once said or was it Captain Oates?. anyway famous last words.

Hingerlandia??

the H is silent. Sleep

That 'hint' still doesn't help. Suspect

No   Englandia-on-Freezing. Its snowing and I hate it. Suspect But I am going home tomorrow. Razz sunny Bloody Ryanair doesn't fly in Winter so I have to get British Airways and they are very expensive. Scandawegian airlines do a flight but it meant spending 4 hours in Copenhagen, and Turkish airlines meant spending 18 hours in a massage parlour in Amsterdam. I chose BA. pale
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:22 pm

BA are much better than shitty Ryanair. I wouldn't give that bunch of bastards my money!!
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:25 pm

Eldorion wrote:My dad, my brother, and I did our second day of skiing today, and are heading home tomorrow (it's about an 8.5 hour drive).  We asked someone to take a picture of us on one of the peaks.  It was taken on my dad's vintage iPhone, so the quality isn't great and you can't see the beautiful views that were in the background.  There had been freezing rain two nights ago and then like 4-5 inches over the preceding 24 hours, so everything was coated in snow, like a postcard.  It also made the skiing conditions phenomenal, particularly on the ungroomed trails and the designated ski-in-between-trees areas.

Holidays and absences [2] - Page 24 Qtc8j07l

Speaking of the trees, I did get tossed around a bit and probably have a few bruises, but fortunately nothing serious (worst I've ever had is a sprain though so I can't really complain about skiing injuries).  I always have trouble with finding boots that fit since my feet are so wide, but it wasn't too much of an issue this year.  None of us are very good skiers, and I'm probably the worst in the family (of those who ski at all, which is only three of us), but the mountain we go to most often isn't Olympic-level like some of the ones up here, though it has a pleasant mix of difficulty levels.

Unfortunately we have to head up this far north to get decent skiing; all the places in Maryland and the mid-Atlantic have to use almost entirely artificial snow, and they ice over really easy since the stuff melts every day before refreezing at night.  But the daytime temperatures for our first day of skiing hovered around -5 Fahrenheit (about -21 C).  That was fairly miserable in its own right, though it sure beat seeing green grass underneath the ski lifts, which has happened on occasion further south.  Today the temperature was about 20 F (-7 C), which was a lot nicer and made for some wonderful skiing conditions, especially with the light snowfall throughout the day.

Ah, downhill skiing. Very Happy I haven't done that for aaages. Sounds fun. Nod

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:41 am

Well I just got back from a trip to southern California. Northern Californians tend to look down on those So-Cal types, and so I didn't have the highest expectations going in. The drive down was pretty good though. I had a head cold (I know! What timing!) so I slept most of the way down in the backseat.
The highlight of the drive down was when we passed through Palmdale and my niece picked out this song from her playlist. It felt incredibly apt. Razz

Anyway, we stayed that first evening, night, and morning in Palm Springs. There were a ton of old people (ton[s] if we want to be literal). The weirdest thing was that although it was in the 80s every day there was still snow on the peaks of the highest nearby mountains.

After that we bought some groceries and drove over to Joshua Tree National Park. We tooled around for a while in the West Entrance: took a few short walks. And then we successfully got some really nice shots of the Joshua trees right at sunset. We camped on the North side of the park, in Indian Cove. There were, surprisingly, no Joshua trees on that side, but it was separated from the rest by some large-ish hills/small mountains.
The stars were lovely though! It was actually much harder to spot out the well-known constellations because of how many others stars there were filling up the sky that I had not seen in so long!

I was finally feeling a bit better by the last day, and so my elder sister and I tried out a little rock-climbing; quite amateur level, of course, but it was nevertheless quite fun. We only got halfway up the nearest rocky hill before we had to turn around because I had forgotten to bring water. Razz

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:41 am

I quite like walking to the top of hills, there's something fo a finality and sense of achievement, however small, about reaching the top. And then a nice view as a bonus.

Sounds a fun trip, Forest. Nod Apart from the cold.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:39 am

Sounds like a good trip to me, I like the way tou describe the night sky Very Happy

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:03 pm

That sounds like a fun trip, Forest. Smile All of my visits to California have been to the Bay Area where my uncle used to live, so I would love to see more of the state, both Northern and Southern. Star gazing in parks is always great, too. There's a state park in Delaware where I really like to look at the sky because it's on the ocean and there aren't too many trees to block the view, although the lights from New Jersey to drown out anything too close to the horizon.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:28 pm

for a minute then I thought you had done some time travelling when you said it was the 80s every day. Laughing specially the Joshua Tree reference, and mullets.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:56 pm

Razz

Not quite time travel, no.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:19 am

Bluebottle wrote:

I suppose there's a reason they call that boring flat skiing "Nordic".

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:09 am

Do they even have flat land in Norway? I thought it was like mostly mountains and fjords. Wouldn't that be ideal for downhill skiing? Although now that I think about it, they call that "alpine skiing", so maybe I should've taken a clue from the name. Suspect
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:20 am

In some places it's flat, in some places it's steep. Razz Though I get what you're saying. Tis a hilly country.

I did do a bit of downhill skiing when I was younger, and it is fun, but I've come to prefer cross country with time. So, I mostly do that these days. But, yeah, both are very prevalent here. Though downhill skiing requiers going to a ski center with lifts and everything, while there are cross country skiing tracks just about everywhere in this country in winter. Razz

halfwise wrote:
Bluebottle wrote:

I suppose there's a reason they call that boring flat skiing "Nordic".

Mad

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:16 pm

Fair point about the required equipment. We have plenty of parks with running/jogging trails and it's fun to imagine them filled with skiers during the winter. Very Happy Not that we'd have enough snow for it 99% of the time. We rely on snow machines to make downhill skiing possible in this part of the country.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:00 pm

We don't have many places to do cross country skiing, less than downhill even. So doing either one takes travel effort. And it you're gonna put in travel effort, may as well go all the way with lifts and such. Or so goes the thinking of most people here I wager.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Page 24 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 32 ... 40  Next