David H
halfwise
Orwell
the truth
Lorient Avandi
24 posters

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

continuing proofs America is wacko [2] - Page 37 Empty Re: continuing proofs America is wacko [2]

Post by Bluebottle Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:07 am

David H wrote:
Bluebottle wrote:Ah, your welcome. Smile  And I learned something about how the Americans handle this stuff too, which was interesting.

Do you mean about with the shotgun?

(Shotguns are a form of free speech too, at least around here Nod )

Well, I'm sure you find people listening very carefully to everything you have to say if your holding a shotgun. Shocked

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

continuing proofs America is wacko [2] - Page 37 Empty Re: continuing proofs America is wacko [2]

Post by Bluebottle Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:08 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Im a pro European. Scotland as majority is by about 60 to 40. Its England who want to take us all out of it.

I think there are a lot of problems, both corruption of the usual illegal sort, but also fo the lining their own pockets through loop holes kind- like turning up and signing in for a meeting, leaving after five minutes, having a slap up lunch on tax payers expense and spent the afternoon with friends sightseeing then claim a full days wage for being in the meeting because the record shows you were there because you signed in. There seems a bit too much of that sort going on.

But I see these things as problems to be addressed not reasons to quit as the overall principles are worth the effort and worth the fight.
And I really dont like the thought of going to a situation where the highest court I can appeal to is the UK one, and no higher, and there is no independent judiciary to judge the honesty of my governments actions.
I think thats a principle we can't afford to lose, especially in light of the comments on the BBST on the other issue under discussion, and my and Azriel's opinion of the UK justice system. A commonly held opinion in the UK among many people.

The thought of the UK judiciary being the only legal check on government is frightening, this is the same judiciary who backed Blair in declaring the Iraq war a legal war under the UN article, when everyone and their cat knew it wasn't.

Ah, ok. That's good to hear. It's good to remember though that the European Convetion and Court of Human Rights is seperate from the EU and under the European Council.

I'm kind of wondering at their justification too. "We want to give our citizens less rights." doesn't sound very good does it. "We want to make the state less accountable." How do you get people, and particularily those on the right, to agree with that?

By exploiting anti-European sentiments it seems, but have people actually thought this through? Of course not. Rolling Eyes

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:24 pm

Thanks Leelee, I'm glad you noticed the change. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:21 pm

3 redheads now... Shocked

Sofa

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:11 pm

Twisted Evil
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:01 pm

In case I hadn't mentioned it, the doctor who brought Ebola to New York City lived just a few blocks away from me. Twisted Evil

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:37 pm

Shocked Wow, Halfy

continuing proofs America is wacko [2] - Page 37 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

continuing proofs America is wacko [2] - Page 37 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:03 pm

I kinda like it. Clears out the scaredy-cats.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:22 pm

affraid
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:51 pm

Uh oh.  We'd better quarantine Halfy for having been in the same country as someone with ebola! No
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:05 am

Wouldn't that mean we would have to quarantine you too though? scratch

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:14 am

I was in the same neighborhood!

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:16 pm

Bluebottle wrote:Wouldn't that mean we would have to quarantine you too though? scratch

thatsthejoke.jpg
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:21 pm

Well, seeing as those were the words of the admin, even in jest, I guess we'll have to abide by them. So, into quarantine you both go.

Thing is though, there was an ebola case with a returning doctor here too. So, I guess I'm going with you. And Ringo, and Amarië, and Norc. And the same has probably happened in the home countries of most of the people on the forum. So.. we're all going into quarantine, I guess.

Which was kind of your joke, yeah. I get that. Wink

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:12 pm

Good luck trying to keep Norc in quarantine. It's been tried.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:15 pm

halfwise wrote:Good luck trying to keep Norc in quarantine. It's been tried.

Really? Do tell. Razz

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:44 pm

She's irrepressible, is that one. Wink

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:31 pm

Washington State just passed one of the stiffest gun background check laws in the nation by a strong majority. It'll be interesting to see what the push-back will be....

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:05 am

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -

Fort Lauderdale police charged three men -- including two pastors and a 90-year-old man -- for feeding the homeless in public on Sunday, the first such cases made by the city after the a new ordinance effectively banning public food sharings took effect Friday.

The first to be charged was homeless advocate Arnold Abbott, 90, who has been feeding the homeless in Fort Lauderdale for more than 20 years. Also cited were two Christian ministers -- Dwayne Black, pastor of The Sanctuary Church in Fort Lauderdale, and Mark Sims of St. Mary Magdalene Episcopal Church in Coral Springs.

All three men face up to 60 days in jail and a $500 fine.

"One of the police officers said, 'Drop that plate right now,' as if I were carrying a weapon," said Abbott, who runs a nonprofit group called Love Thy Neighbor, Inc. "It's man's inhumanity to man is all it is."

In 1999, the city tried to stop Abbott from feeding the homeless on Fort Lauderdale Beach, prompting a lawsuit from Abbott, which he won. Now he said he will fight the municipal ordinance charge and be forced to take the city back to court.

"I’m going to have to go to court again and sue the city of Fort Lauderdale -- a beautiful city," said Abbott. "These are the poorest of the poor, they have nothing, they don't have a roof over their heads. How do you turn them away?"

Abbott said he won't turn them away and is planning to bring food to the beach this Wednesday evening with the expectation that he may be hit with another charge.

"I don't do things to purposefully aggravate the situation," said Abbott. "I'm trying to work with the city. Any human has the right to help his fellow man."

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:41 pm

thats shocking No
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:33 pm

It could be a public health thing: unless properly done food distribution can cause sickness, hence the reason restaurants must be licensed. But the way the ordinance is presented it looks like it could be used to ban picnics, etc. Ft Lauderdale needs to explain itself.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:12 pm

halfwise wrote:It could be a public health thing: unless properly done food distribution can cause sickness, hence the reason restaurants must be licensed.  But the way the ordinance is presented it looks like it could be used to ban picnics, etc.  Ft Lauderdale needs to explain itself.

More likely it's because the city wants to sweep the homeless problem under the rug.  There's a church here in Baltimore that got into several fights with the city on a similar issue.  The city had passed laws banning homeless people from sleeping in public (eg, on sidewalks or in public parks) as part of an effort to clean up the image of the city.  So the church let homeless people sleep in their front yard, which happens to be right next to one of the busiest roads in the city, which pissed off the local politicians who had passed the new law.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:07 pm

Yep, all too often our "leaders" want to "solve" the homeless problem by hiding it rather than addressing the needs and causes. The kind of people who do care about and actually do something are usually not spotlight seekers, unfortunately, so their efforts never get the attention they deserve.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:09 pm

I dunno, I shake my head in despair, Its such a global problem, homelessness. Anyone would think these people carry leprosy or some other fatally transmitted disease. We have a huge problem in the UK with this issue. Well, I dont have a problem, the politicians do.Seems to me ALL politicians of any country want to hide this up & all want to appear snowy white & pure. Some people want the nomadic freedom of being homeless, others are there often thru no fault of there's. They need a leg up,a bit of help, not to be stigmatized or shoo-ed away out of sight.

Last edited by azriel on Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

continuing proofs America is wacko [2] - Page 37 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

continuing proofs America is wacko [2] - Page 37 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:09 pm

Le Penn in the South of France used to round em up from the posh seaside towns and ship em out in buses and leave them stranded in the countryside so they had to stagger back eventually after days. dont know if this is true but it sounds about right from that fascist.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next