Norc
Ally
MeikoElektra
azriel
Eldorion
28 posters

Page 20 of 26 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 26  Next

Go down

'An Unexpected Journey' in theatres | SPOILER THREAD - Page 20 Empty Re: 'An Unexpected Journey' in theatres | SPOILER THREAD

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:23 pm

Azog and the wargs were really disappointing, even if the storyline was rubbish I expected WETA to be superb, but they dropped the ball big time. Gollum was amazing though got to admit he looked real.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

'An Unexpected Journey' in theatres | SPOILER THREAD - Page 20 Empty Re: 'An Unexpected Journey' in theatres | SPOILER THREAD

Post by azriel Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:15 pm

I agree with Mrs Figg, Gollum was the better cgi, but weta had enough time & input to go on ! being as he was used in LOTRs. Goblin bollock chops was a disappointment to me, & Azog ! well, he looked like a protype for Wallace from "wallace & gromit". Shocked

'An Unexpected Journey' in theatres | SPOILER THREAD - Page 20 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

'An Unexpected Journey' in theatres | SPOILER THREAD - Page 20 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:38 pm

'An Unexpected Journey' in theatres | SPOILER THREAD - Page 20 Tumblr_midmj9k32s1qba5clo1_500
'An Unexpected Journey' in theatres | SPOILER THREAD - Page 20 Tumblr_midmj9k32s1qba5clo2_500
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:00 pm

lol!

'An Unexpected Journey' in theatres | SPOILER THREAD - Page 20 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:12 pm

Laughing
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:53 am

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:26 pm

do Elves poo?

and why is it colder the further up a mountain you go although its technically nearer the sun?
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:57 pm

I'll take a shot at the Mountain one, though it would be easier if you thought equations were fun.

There's a physical law that if you take a container of air and increase the pressure in it, the temperature goes up at the same rate. If you drop the pressure, the temperature goes down by the same rate. Think about that for a second before going on.

Now the pressure is lower the higher you go up the mountain because there's less and less air stacked on top of it (just like the pressure gets higher the deeper you go in the water. )

Air is always rising and falling up and down and all around that mountain. As it rises the pressure drops, and it chills at the same rate that the pressure drops. This makes it really cold. Being closer to the sun is such a small effect compared to this that it doesn't even matter.

As for the elves' body functions, I can't say for sure, but they do seem to be always slipping of into the bushes for one reason or another, so I assume something is going on.... Embarassed

David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:08 pm

As for the elves' body functions, I can't say for sure, but they do seem to be always slipping of into the bushes for one reason or another, so I assume something is going on....
They are looking at your weird veggies Dave ! Very Happy

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:08 pm

erm.. the temperatur is the same it's just the boiling-temperatur that changes. what makes the air colder is it's abbility to hold on to warm, moist air because it get's colder because you get nearer and nearer space. Warm air is heavier and "sinks" if that helps. that didn't make sense, but it doesn't really has a lot to do with air pressure. just the air being thinner and more more and more going over to outer space.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:44 pm

Norc, I agree that the adiabatic effects can be huge. But they depend a lot on local climate, and besides they're really hard to explain.

The Guy-Lussac's Law temperature-pressure relationship is an important measurable effect on most mountains and also layers within the atmosphere. And it can be explained more easily without speaking Martian. alien

@Azriel Were you peeking? Embarassed
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:50 pm

only just a little cyclops

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:11 am

http://www.kidsgeo.com/geography-for-kids/0070-adiabatic-temperature-changes.php
http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=134458

lol. here you go guys (i haven't looked at it so i don't know how valid it is)
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:38 pm

That's what I said. Nod
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:18 pm

I always thought that hot air rises? like its hotter upstairs in my house than downstairs.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Hot air rises only if it's allowed to expand, which makes it lighter than the colder air around it. If you heat it in a sealed container like a tin can, it can't expand so the pressure builds but the can never gets any lighter. If you heat it in a balloon though, it may eventually float off.

What happens in the real world gets a bit tricky to describe sometimes because pressure, volume, and temperature keep swapping out their energy like this. There's a cool thing called the ideal gas law that explains all this in one simple formula, but if you want the full physics lesson I suggest you ask Halfwise.
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:23 pm

we should have a fan-art thread.
'An Unexpected Journey' in theatres | SPOILER THREAD - Page 20 Tumblr_mhipozwAln1s1k8ibo1_500

source: http://themico.deviantart.com/
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:55 am

The Hobbit documents released: Jackson's frustrations revealed

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=10867898

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:19 am

David H wrote:Hot air rises only if it's allowed to expand, which makes it lighter than the colder air around it. If you heat it in a sealed container like a tin can, it can't expand so the pressure builds but the can never gets any lighter. If you heat it in a balloon though, it may eventually float off.

What happens in the real world gets a bit tricky to describe sometimes because pressure, volume, and temperature keep swapping out their energy like this. There's a cool thing called the ideal gas law that explains all this in one simple formula, but if you want the full physics lesson I suggest you ask Halfwise.

The last thing Halfy needs is encouraging! Rolling Eyes

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:47 am

very interesting Chris, ive bookmarked that to read later on when ive more time, where ever theres money theres corruption of some sort !, if we knew all the skull duggery that goes on eh ? Suspect Nod

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:54 am

chris63 wrote:The Hobbit documents released: Jackson's frustrations revealed

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=10867898

too lazy to read, can someone sum it up?
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:54 am

in like two sentences?
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:38 pm

ok honestly kids today Rolling Eyes

Australian union tries to shaft NZ based film made by PJ, PJ angry.

Very Happy
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:57 pm

Orwell wrote:
David H wrote:Hot air rises only if it's allowed to expand, which makes it lighter than the colder air around it. If you heat it in a sealed container like a tin can, it can't expand so the pressure builds but the can never gets any lighter. If you heat it in a balloon though, it may eventually float off.

The last thing Halfy needs is encouraging! Rolling Eyes

How'd I miss this? cheers Yeah, adiabatic heating and cooling is crucial to meteorology. I could go into more detail about why expansion or contraction cause this to happen, but won't bother unless asked. I'll just dangle the teaser that if air expands into a vacuum, it doesn't cool; it has to expand against something, which is related to website Norc posted, but made it complicated by saying it needs energy to expand. I can explain it without talking about energy.

Another interesting tidbit is that if you have air that hasn't been moving for a while, the adiabatic rule doesn't apply - it's all radiation and conduction. After a while the air closer to space has radiated away enough heat that it cools down enough to sink, and then adiabatic stuff starts to happen. But it has to cool down enough to counteract the amount of adiabatic heating that would result as it begins to sink, or it just warms up on the way down and stops sinking, or even oscillates up and down, causing waves. You sometimes see these waves on a high wind day in clouds behind a mountain, which deflects air up - cooling it - then it sinks and warms but momentum carries it past the equilibrium point - and on it goes until friction wears it out.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:05 pm

halfwise wrote:
I could go into more detail about why expansion or contraction cause this to happen, but won't bother unless asked. I'll just dangle the teaser that if air expands into a vacuum, it doesn't cool; it has to expand against something, which is related to website Norc posted, but made it complicated by saying it needs energy to expand. I can explain it without talking about energy.

Yes please! bounce

David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 26 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 26  Next