Orwell
RA
Ringdrotten
chris63
Eldorion
26 posters

Page 31 of 33 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32, 33  Next

Go down

Critics review 'An Unexpected Journey' - Page 31 Empty Re: Critics review 'An Unexpected Journey'

Post by Eldorion Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:20 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:Awesome. I took part in the survey as well. I noticed you lot put a spin on things by not telling us the largest Group were fans of LOTR and PJ.

Question The link to the full results was right there. We were just discussing Petty's contributions to the study, but he's always been one of a kind. Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Critics review 'An Unexpected Journey' - Page 31 Empty Re: Critics review 'An Unexpected Journey'

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:44 pm

Question well I was just balancing things out.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by CC12 35 Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:20 pm

what is EDO on about :questionmark:

Gypsy gal, the hands of Harlem

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:45 pm

scratch
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:53 am

this is the best study ever. though they should make one after the movies as well and compare Smile
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:55 am

There was a follow up study Norc, I took part in it too, they just havent released the results yet.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:59 am

good job, petty ^^
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:11 am

Critics review 'An Unexpected Journey' - Page 31 Smaug

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:26 am

Still say his skin doesnt look golden/red enough to earn his name. Mad

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:34 am

Is that better Smile

Critics review 'An Unexpected Journey' - Page 31 Cute-little-dragon-animated

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:54 am

Critics review 'An Unexpected Journey' - Page 31 Funny-gifs-dragon-friend

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:02 am

LOL

Critics review 'An Unexpected Journey' - Page 31 2009

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:51 am

that's the one, Chris, the last, perfect.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:50 pm

It's the flapping mouth that makes it. Laughing
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:17 am

I like the way it splats
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by leelee Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:01 am

Well if he or she is terribly embarresed no one is the wiser. Embarassed
leelee
leelee
Free-est Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by leelee Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:11 am

Eldorion wrote:Ain't It Cool News, which you may remember from their very excited and positive coverage from the set of The Hobbit, has posted a review as well. To be clear: it's not written by the guy who was on the set.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/59869

As the film sprints through its chaotic prologue, narrative coherence takes a backseat to high-definition visual wizardry; it's a bewildering barrage of footage that looks either spectacular or gallingly fake. But then Jackson's virtual camera plunges deep into the fully-digitized Lonely Mountain to reveal the discovery of the Arkenstone, and suddenly the alleged game-changing promise of AVATAR has finally been realized. What's real and what isn't? I haven't a clue, but it looks amazing. This is the future of event filmmaking, and the possibilities for a director of Jackson's talents to explode it are seemingly endless.

But there are kinks to work out. Many, many kinks. So many that I wonder if Jackson wishes he could've delayed shooting AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY another year while they figured out how to eliminate the occasional and terribly distracting undercranked effect of actors zipping around like coked-up Mack Sennett characters. Also, while the clarity can be awe-inspriring, it has a tendency to make the sets look cheap, the armor chintzy, and the makeup barely worthy of an Asylum production. AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY in high-frame-rate 3D is a deep, vicious pendulum swing between transporting and flat-out unwatchable - and it's impossible to fully adjust to the format because you never know when it's suddenly going to look like a demo reel.

Would I feel differently had I viewed the film in standard 24fps 3D? Well, jarring tech hiccups aside, I'd still have to contend with the interminable first act, which left me feeling like I was watching the biggest artistic miscalculation from an elite filmmaker since SKIDOO. So probably no.

I don't know if it's a question of shaking off rust, but once Jackson plunges the party into the Misty Mountains, he roars back to life as a filmmaker. Crosscutting between Gandalf and the dwarves battling a never-ending legion of goblins (led by their grotesque, testicle-chinned king) and Bilbo matching wits with a pathetic little fella named Gollum (Andy Serkis and WETA remain the best show in town), Jackson finds a groove and stays in it for the duration. But this is also where you're reminded of the limited emotional resonance of THE HOBBIT. Aside from Bilbo sparing Gollum, there's not much here to spring the waterworks. This is all prelude to the big opera of THE LORD OF THE RINGS. It's a fine story, sure, but this is just the first act of a book that can easily be read in a couple of sittings.

And therein lies the potential problem with the next two movies. AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY runs a healthy 160-plus minutes, and more than half of it is filler. Worse, I know goddamn well there's not 320-minutes worth of story left. Not even close. If I felt like Jackson was attacking this book with the all-in bravado he brought to THE LORD OF THE RINGS (and setting up more than Tolkien's book delivers), I'd forgive the bloat. But the listlessness of AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY reminds me of the slow boat to Skull Island in KING KONG. We're adrift. So please, Mr. Jackson, wrap this up, and get the hell out of Middle Earth. This is beginning to feel more like cartography than storytelling.

I was dreading the King Kong comparisons. I could barely watch that movie.

The thing is it started out being very once upon a time and then horrific things started happening and serious adult stuff. So really I think Peter does a good job, though why he changes things so radically in some places loses me, period. But as a faerie story I thought it was very good. And I just loved Bilbo, I did not think I would but I did . Though I did get the sense the story line was being stretched out . As for the white orc, he terrified me and I realized I know a guy that resembles him and has that freaky mean destructive look when he is agitated.
leelee
leelee
Free-est Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:05 am

http://www.amazon.com/The-Hobbit-Unexpected-Journey-UltraViolet/dp/B00BEZTMQ8/ref=pd_rhf_se_p_t_1_J5KT

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by CC12 35 Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:57 pm

that's soooooooooo useeeeefullllll chrislona

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Thu May 02, 2013 7:08 am

Got my copy today, just charging up my 3D glasses

Critics review 'An Unexpected Journey' - Page 31 3566

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Thu May 02, 2013 7:10 am

Critics review 'An Unexpected Journey' - Page 31 Stephen-Colbert-Popcorn

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu May 02, 2013 1:26 pm

Pity they can only improve the visuals- I need a magic pair that puts the script into 3D!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by CC12 35 Thu May 02, 2013 1:43 pm

ba dump dump chshshshshshshsh

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Fri May 03, 2013 6:38 am

3D was great, picture was crystal clear. Take away the added bits and its not a bad film. Might watch it again in 2d Smile

Critics review 'An Unexpected Journey' - Page 31 Tumblr_ludfd7d4fw1r1g0rbo1_500

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Fri May 03, 2013 6:45 am

chris63 wrote:Take away the added bits and its not a bad film. Might watch it again in 2d Smile

Have you tried Petty's edit yet Chris?
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Page 31 of 33 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32, 33  Next